• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Scalzi does that too. I don't really notice when I'm reading but it bugs the shit out of me in audiobooks.

Yeah, it doesn't help that he has a thing for using Wil Wheaton. Love the guy but his reading of audiobooks is dull as dirt. He doesn't give any characters a unique voice, so I guess in that sense Scalzi's penchant for "xxxx says" actually makes sense...particularly since so many of Scalzi's characters are just Xander from Buffy/Chandler from Friends. He's got to differentiate them somehow and I guess line by line is how he's chosen to do so...

Mike M

Nick N
Can someone sell me on American Gods? What can I expect from the book?

Ha, my wife just bought me a hard copy of the author's preferred text edition for Christmas. One of the very few books I've read multiple times, and easily my favorite book overall.

If you've read the Sandman series, American Gods is another of Gaiman's takes on the notion that all the gods that mankind have ever worshiped are still around, just down on their luck. It has some slight pacing issues (there are periodic side stories that aren't particularly relevant to the main thread, but do illustrate gods' relationships with humans through the years), and it hits a major speed bump when the protagonist gets sidelined into a side story of his own while his patron goes off page for an extended period of time to further the main plot. Still, I love it.

I would caution against the audiobook, though. I haven't listened to it myself, so I can't say for certain, but
there's a swerve in the book that seems like it would be entirely mitigated if you hear someone reciting it out loud.

Anansi Boys is also good and set in the same universe.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A roadtrip through America and Americana juxtaposed with an immigration story about deities from the Old World and their worshipers that brought them here.

I got a Kindle Paperwhite yesterday (finally!), and the first book I wanted to read on it was The Lies of Locke Lamora. I'm not very far in the book but I can tell it has its fangs in me already. There's something so compelling about the setting, and the prose, and the dialog. It's like it's fine-tuned to the exact frequency of my pleasure-sensors. I think I'm going to like this book.

Also, reading on an actual Kindle is way, way, WAY better than reading on my phone ever was.

kswiston

I finished Babylon's Ashes (Book 6 of the Expanse series). Not one of my favourite novels from that series, but hopefully it will serve as a good transitioning piece to the final third of the series (assuming the authors are still sticking to 9 novels)

I can't promise that I will get around to reading it any time soon with my backlog, but I grabbed a copy as well. Happy (upcoming) New Year and thanks for the book suggestions throughout 2016!

Stasis

Backlog so huge.

Reading these massive sci-fi novels isn't helping that. Currently on Pandora's Star (took a break for Babylon's Ashes, almost done) and then Judas Unchained.

I want to read Sapiens after. With Guns, Germs, and Steel and then Homo Deus potentially following. A little side trip down history lane before returning to more sci-fi and fantasy.

Sometimes I wish I had the time my mother does to just read for entire days. On that note, I'm looking for recommendations for her. She loves British esoteric. Spy thrillers. Mysteries. Recently I've seen her read some Clive Cussler, Ian Rankin, James Patterson, etc. I've found lots of similar styles through Good Reads and such, but she just tears through everything like mad. Any good series, especially sales of, would be much appreciated. Her habit is expensive for her, month to month. I like to gift books when I see decent prices and help out that way. She's totally addicted and doesn't budget well. There are worse addictions to have! But I still want to help.

I finished Babylon's Ashes (Book 6 of the Expanse series). Not one of my favourite novels from that series, but hopefully it will serve as a good transitioning piece to the final third of the series (assuming the authors are still sticking to 9 novels)

I can't promise that I will get around to reading it any time soon with my backlog, but I grabbed a copy as well. Happy (upcoming) New Year and thanks for the book suggestions throughout 2016!

Thanks! Hope you enjoy once you get around to it!

TTG

Enjoying this now as well.

I just finished it. A year of choppy, somewhat frustrating reading is going to end on a high note. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet is poignant, very thoroughly researched, and well plotted as well. I wish there was some action set in the capital and we got to see more of Japan, but that's a different book.

The more I think about it, the more I admire the way Japanese characters were portrayed. None of the stereotypes and cliches one comes to expect and when the plot takes turns to action and romance, that's masterfully handled
and subverted
and is ultimately so much more impactful for it.

A good ass book, third time's the charm for David Mitchell after giving up on Slade House and Number9Dream.

Sitting at 30% on Catalyst. I won't watch Rogue One until it releases on video, so this will have to tie me over. Solid book so far. Babylon's Ashes is next.

John Scalzi does that too. I don't really notice when I'm reading but it bugs the shit out of me in audiobooks.

Dear lord, I had to stop listening to the second book in the series and just read it. That annoying narrator and the non-stop "said" "said" "SAID" was enough for me to reduce Scalzi is a limited fucking writer. Buy yourself a thesaurus and some writing lessons.

A boring read. It's the weakest of the three Gaiman novels I've read. Give Stardust or The Ocean at the End of the Lane a shot. Better yet, just read Sandman.

Alucard

Banned
Finished Allegiance by Timothy Zahn. It was okay. (Star Wars EU novel)

Hoping to finish The Innocent Mage by Karen Miller by Saturday to hit 45 books read for the year. My goal for this year was 30, which I've obviously surpassed. Yay. Audio books have helped increase my reading numbers this year. Audible is a wonderful service.

Might have a bit of a heavy reading day to get more into Locke Lamora.

As much as I found the heavy description a bit jarring at first, it is nice to have such a richly built world.

On a side note, can anyone recommend something very similar to Altered Carbon? I know there are the sequels but they seem to have very different settings.

I think I'm gonna drop Royal Assassin. I liked Assassin's Apprentice but the pace in this one is killing me. I'm over halfway through and it feels like nothing has happened in the last 200 pages. And I can't get over the fact that
the main characters are literally watching their king get poisoned right in front of them, they KNOW he's being poisoned, they KNOW who's doing it, and they barely even discuss the idea of doing something about it. I could understand Fitz not taking action, he's not really in a position of power, but Verity? Kettricken?
Hobb undeniably writes great characters but my sympathy for them is rapidly draining as I watch them bumble around setting up their own demise.

Saphirax

Finished quite a few books this month:

With the exception of Secret History I've finished all the Mistborn books. At least until the next Wax&Wayne sequel comes out. Enjoyed them more than the original trilogy.

Captive Prince trilogy - romance isn't my cup of tea but I still decided to give this a try. It was a short, entertaining romp through the sub-genre.

The Woman in White - this took me ages to get through, mostly because I had to plod through the, rather uneventful, first 300 pages of the book. After that it picked up the pace and I loved it.

Daughter of the Empire (The Empire Trilogy) - was not feeling the first 50 pages or so, but ended up loving the novel. Political shenanigans in fantasy books are my favorite.

Started reading Hard Times by Charles Dickens and, eh, am not impressed at all. It's a really boring book. Prefer his other novels.

mu cephei

Finished The Word for World is Forest by Ursula Le Guin. Although the two main views were pretty blunt I think that was the point, and the way they wove together built something rather delicate and sad and bigger than its parts.

Also read Giovanni's Room by James Baldwin.
38462.jpg

Amazing. Emotionally excoriating. Highly recommended.

Reading through The Girl on The Train.
I don't get it...the book had a massive hype around it, but it's pretty mediocre so far (at 50% atm). Eh, I'll slog through to the end. :/ It's short.

Finished Murakami's South of the Border, West of the Sun. My third Murakami and they're sorta blending together. For a guy who owns two bars, the main character sure is thirsty.

I don't get it...the book had a massive hype around it, but it's pretty mediocre so far (at 50% atm). Eh, I'll slog through to the end. :/ It's short.

Felt the same. It's not good or bad it's just there. It definitely isn't The Next Gone Girl™ in terms of well anything really.

Mike M

Nick N

Felt the same. It's not good or bad it's just there. It definitely isn't The Next Gone Girl™ in terms of well anything really.
Sounds like literally every best-seller ever.

Books that appeal to the average reader generally disappoint in my experience.

You'll probably have more fun listening to the I Don't Even Own a Television podcast episode on that book.

Alucard

Banned
I think I'm gonna drop Royal Assassin. I liked Assassin's Apprentice but the pace in this one is killing me. I'm over halfway through and it feels like nothing has happened in the last 200 pages. And I can't get over the fact that
the main characters are literally watching their king get poisoned right in front of them, they KNOW he's being poisoned, they KNOW who's doing it, and they barely even discuss the idea of doing something about it. I could understand Fitz not taking action, he's not really in a position of power, but Verity? Kettricken?
Hobb undeniably writes great characters but my sympathy for them is rapidly draining as I watch them bumble around setting up their own demise.

Aw man, I'm disappointed to read this. Royal Assassin was my favourite of the trilogy, with Kettricken being a total badass.

kswiston

I started The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin today. I'm only 10-15% of the way through the book, but the presentation is very creative. Talk about a book that wastes no time grabbing the reader's attention.

Mifune

Mehmber
I just finished it. A year of choppy, somewhat frustrating reading is going to end on a high note. The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet is poignant, very thoroughly researched, and well plotted as well. I wish there was some action set in the capital and we got to see more of Japan, but that's a different book.

The more I think about it, the more I admire the way Japanese characters were portrayed. None of the stereotypes and cliches one comes to expect and when the plot takes turns to action and romance, that's masterfully handled
and subverted
and is ultimately so much more impactful for it.

A good ass book, third time's the charm for David Mitchell after giving up on Slade House and Number9Dream.

That's a wonderful book. You should probably give Cloud Atlas a shot as well.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Taking another crack at this book. I tried reading it on an e-reader but there was a lot of misspellings or screwups that made it difficult to tell what was supposed to be a word I didn't know and what was simply a mistake.

Anyhoo, it's tough so far but I'm going to finish the damn thing this time.

4Wr6pJw.gif

dakini

I felt the same way. The writing was fine. Characters were good. But it could've been half the length it was. It was 500 pages of running around not doing much with the last 100 pushing the story forward. As of now, it doesn't bother me all that much and I like the characters, so I'm continuing on with the series.

Sometimes I wish I had the time my mother does to just read for entire days. On that note, I'm looking for recommendations for her. She loves British esoteric. Spy thrillers. Mysteries. Recently I've seen her read some Clive Cussler, Ian Rankin, James Patterson, etc. I've found lots of similar styles through Good Reads and such, but she just tears through everything like mad. Any good series, especially sales of, would be much appreciated. Her habit is expensive for her, month to month. I like to gift books when I see decent prices and help out that way. She's totally addicted and doesn't budget well. There are worse addictions to have! But I still want to help.

Peter James' Roy Grace books are very British. Kind of like Ian Rankin but set in south east England.

Check out Sarah Perry, Rose Tremain, Marian Keyes and especially Nicola Barker

kevin1025

Banned
12972591.jpg

I finished it last night, i thought it was pretty good but i liked The Stand better, King's book just felt more ambitious in both themes and scope. Also i felt that there were a couple of unanswered questions by the end, now i don't mind ambiguous things in my books but in this case i just wanted to more about
the glass ring and the man with the scarlet eye, specially the ring since there's a scene that hints to it having a larger purpose
Hopefully kevin1025 and Grimalkin are almost done with this book, i would like to know if they liked it.

I messed up, man, have to be honest :(

I will catch up incredibly fast, but Christmas and games and movies ate my time up! I will be done super early in the new year, even though I broke the pledge! I'm getting there, though!

Halfway through Name of the Wind. I'm definitely into "can't put it down" territory. It probably also helps that I got a lot of books for Christmas so time is of the essence!

Ralemont

not me
I'm about halfway through a translation of the Tale of Genji and feel like I've read what I needed to read.

It's been interesting coming into the stories blind, because for all I can tell Genji is supposed to be a huge piece of shit who only gets worse as the stories go on, but because of how long ago it was written I wasn't sure how much was just cultural expectations that have now become obsolete. Anyway, Genji, from story to story:

1. Cheats on his wife with multiple women
2. Becomes obsessed with his father's mistress.
3. Finds her nine(?) year old niece that looks like her and decides he's gonna kidnap her and groom her until she's of age and then have sex with her/marry her/both.
4. Rapes the mistress twice, producing an illegitimate child that everyone thinks is his Dad's.

And I think this is where I was as of last week. I kinda skimmed the rest of the plot and it gave me the same general "Oh, Genji!" sort of feeling, but I think wondering whether Genji was supposed to be sympathetic or a monster was the most interesting part of reading this. The author of the novel was a lady of the court, I think, so I'm going with this being the precursor to American Psycho-style feminism, haha.

Next up, I went to the bookstore and picked up Foucault's Madness and Civilization. I was in love with his Discipline and Punishment in undergrad so I'm excited to get back to him.

lawnchair

Banned
I'm about 20% through Alan Moore's Jerusalem. Each chapter so far has been based around a different character in a mostly different time period, with geography and some other interesting stuff tying them together and making them feel like part of a real place. There's a chapter about a fellow in the middle ages on a quest to return a religious relic to a church by the command of an angel, and then a trainspotting-esque chapter about a drug addicted prostitute. there is some dark stuff in here. some supernatural stuff. some gritty stuff. very ambitious book. i don't have a ton of reading time, i hope to be done in a month or so..

I'm about 20% through Alan Moore's Jerusalem. Each chapter so far has been based around a different character in a mostly different time period, with geography and some other interesting stuff tying them together and making them feel like part of a real place. There's a chapter about a fellow in the middle ages on a quest to return a religious relic to a church by the command of an angel, and then a trainspotting-esque chapter about a drug addicted prostitute. there is some dark stuff in here. some supernatural stuff. some gritty stuff. very ambitious book. i don't have a ton of reading time, i hope to be done in a month or so..

I got this for Christmas. It's near the top of my to-read pile.

I need a good fantasy coming of age story. Any suggestions? I require the protagonist to have some level of magic (sick of assassin stories).

Already read Sanderson, Rothfus, and Dawn of Wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom