• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombine

Banned
Any other impressions of American Gods? I've read the first few chapters on my Nook, thinking of getting the book but I've read mixed impressions. Is it more existential/philosophical or does it explore the gods in a more voyeuristic way? I'm more interested in looking through a window into this world rather than a convoluted hard-to-follow read

I'm working my way through chapter 2 so
things are still super hazy. I don't know the specifics of anything yet or how this world operates, but that bar scene with Wednsday, Shadow, and Sweeney the giant leprechaun was super charming and funny.

For some reason, while this book does meander, it is so bizarre and intentionally silly that I can't stop reading it. There's a scene while
they are at the bar Sweeney goes up to the jukebox and plays The Velvet Underground's "Who Loves The Sun?" And even Shadow makes note of how bizarre the track is, and would probably never be on any jukebox.
But it just so happens to fit the tone of the meeting so the gods willed it.

I'll have to keep on reading, but I expect to finish this quickly. I can't really wrap my head around Shadow's emotions (or lack of them), but it has its hooks in me and I'm familiar enough with his writing style to not be totally lost.

Edit:

As an additional thought, I find that this book is even better when you take Gaiman's real life cues to experience something he's writing about.
I put the song on while reading the rest of the scene and it just clicked for me.

Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy. I've always wanted to read Hardy and found this one at the library. It's interesting and well written through the first few chapters, but I'll have to see if I want to stick with it.

I'm 3/4 the way through The Last Policeman. Not sure I really like it. Started out ok but this far in the MC seems so bland and dumb. He actually hasn't figured anything in this case out and someone has just happened to come to him with new info every few chapters just when his last "idea" sputtered out. I'm more interested in the other couple police than I am the main character or the main story.

TTG

Any other impressions of American Gods? I've read the first few chapters on my Nook, thinking of getting the book but I've read mixed impressions. Is it more existential/philosophical or does it explore the gods in a more voyeuristic way? I'm more interested in looking through a window into this world rather than a convoluted hard-to-follow read

My recollection is that it's of a surface, all about the premise, fidelity rather than delving into the nature of the old gods and the new. It's not about character development is basically what I'm trying to say, more of a Stephen King's Dark Tower vibe in cool in the moment sort of way. Definitely not convoluted. I'm not an ardent fan of Gaiman, but it's a novel premise that keeps the book entertaining essentially the entire way through.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
968868.jpg

Just finished book one in the Book of The New Sun series. Starting Claw of the Concillator now.

I have no idea what's going on.

I just read these two. I really liked Claw of the Conciliator. Flowed better and was more engaging to me than Shadow.

neoanarch

Halfway into this and I'm enjoying it somewhat. I absolutely hate the characters. Which I think is half the point. Everyone knows people like this and you only tolerate them because you are their friends. A bunch of terrible people. It's one of those kind of books.

Return of the Native by Thomas Hardy. I've always wanted to read Hardy and found this one at the library. It's interesting and well written through the first few chapters, but I'll have to see if I want to stick with it.

Pretty much all of Hardy's writing is on kindle in free editions. He's a favourite of mine. If you like RotN then I'd recommend The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Farseer #3: Assassin's Quest

6AXJB1k.jpg

250 pages in. Not as good as the outrageously good second book so far but overall I'm really enjoying the trilogy. Fitz is the best main character I've read in fantasy.

I'm reading the second book right now, Royal Assassin, and I'm loving it. This is my first time reading Robin Hobb. Looking forward to reading the other books that are part of the universe.

AwesomeMeat

PossumMeat
Are audio books cheating? I have about 3-4 hours of lawn mowing to do every weekend and usually listen to audio books.

Last week I finished Masters of Doom. I plan on starting The Tower of Swallows (Witcher) as my next book, probably today if the weather holds up. I listened to all of the other Witcher audio books and had been waiting patiently for this next one to release earlier this year.

Just finished the following:

'The Book of Disquiet' by Fernando Pessoa
Cambridge's collection of Medieval Jewish Philosophical Writings
"Hard Luck: How Luck Undermines Free Will and Moral Responsibilty" by Neil Levy

Currently going through A. E. Housman's Collected poems and will probably read some Robert Frost today.

lazypants

The book is definitely not hard to follow. It's not really philosophical, but follows the gods and explores what gods that are forgotten do with their lives. The best chapters are the coming to america chapters, don't want to spoil anything. The only problem, like others have said is it meanders and stuff kind of just happens, but it's awesome stuff which makes up for, it.

I started reading the A Song of Ice and Fire series for the second time. I'm having serious game of thrones withdrawal and mercilessly hoping book 6 drops this year lol

WEGGLES

After finishing The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet and Rivers Of London/Midnight Riot in June I'm still working through 11/22/63. Just over the half way point.

All three are excellent book that I strongly recommend. Once I finish with 11/22/63 next up is the 2nd Mistborn novel.

Piecake

Just finished the following:

'The Book of Disquiet' by Fernando Pessoa
Cambridge's collection of Medieval Jewish Philosophical Writings
"Hard Luck: How Luck Undermines Free Will and Moral Responsibilty" by Neil Levy

Currently going through A. E. Housman's Collected poems and will probably read some Robert Frost today.

How was The Book of Disquiet?

I have had that sitting on my shelf for who knows how long

Hanzou

I reread books one through four in 2011 in anticipation of book five... and then never read book five.

At this point I'm just going to wait until the series is over, however that happens. :p
Yeah I'm tempted as well. I feel I like I will have to reread all 5 books when 6 comes out an d then would probably have to Don the same with the next/rest. Probably makes sense to wait until 2028 when they are all released and read it at once.

lawnchair

Banned
I reread books one through four in 2011 in anticipation of book five... and then never read book five.

I did the exact same thing. Read through 1-4 "in anticipation" of a book (5) that I still ended up waiting another year or so to come out. By the time it came out I wasn't really excited for it at all and was reading other things. Never read it. Now that it's apparent that the ending of the series will be spoiled for me via HBO watchers I've pretty much given up on the series entirely. It's quite sad for me, as I was a pretty intense game of thrones fan at one point a long time ago ..

mu cephei

Speaking of re-reading, so many people are reading Robin Hobb at the moment (yay!), and in anticipation of the final book in the Fitz and Fool trilogy, I thought I might re-read them all (possibly skipping the Rainwild Chronicles because they're not great) but I just thought I'd check the new book was out in August like I thought... and it's been put back until March 2017 :( her books are usually released on a yearly schedule.

I'm reading the second book right now, Royal Assassin, and I'm loving it. This is my first time reading Robin Hobb. Looking forward to reading the other books that are part of the universe.

Royal Assassin is outstanding honestly. One of the best fantasy books I have read.

At this point I'm just going to wait until the series is over, however that happens. :p
Any time before 2018 is seen as extremely optimistic for TWOW.

Pretty much all of Hardy's writing is on kindle in free editions. He's a favourite of mine. If you like RotN then I'd recommend The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Good to know, thanks. I'm still early on, but he really has a way of painting a vivid picture. The scene with the burning furze on the burial mound is stunning, can't wait to read more.

mhs004

Started Foundation by Isaac Asimov. Just finished part one and I'm enjoying it so far. Going to dig into it abit more tomorrow.

HwTXmOp.jpg

Starting this tonight. Anyone read it? I love the concept, hopefully it will make the separate stories feel like they belong together.

Mifec

Reading: A Shadow in Summer by Daniel Abraham

Will probably read The Goblin Emperor by Sarah Monette which was apparently the best fantasy novel released in 2014.

Uprooted by Naomi Novik after and then maybe finally read The Shattered Sea by Lord Grimdark aka Abercrombie

TTG

A Song of Ice and Fire is a lot like GTA for me in that can't stop eating chips out of this bag sort of way. You read a chapter from one perspective and "ooo, that's interesting" and then another and another and 200 pages just flew by. It's so satisfying in the moment. Obviously it's not entirely vapid, you're rooting for certain characters, it rarely breaks immersion(to borrow from the videogame world again) and all that, but the level to which fans are invested is kind of frightening. I'm not talking about red wedding reaction videos, that's what it's built for. More in the let's break down the lore on a Wednesday in September and go over the nature of this and that. The next book is only 3 years away after all! If we could just funnel a fraction of that to the Infinite Jest book club...

Can't believe it took me 26 years to read it. One of the best books I had the pleasure to read. Habit 1 is still unbeatable and the foundation for everything in life.

The_7_Habits_of_Highly_Effective_People.jpg

ryseing

Beach this weekend so lots of time to read. First up is Long Cosmos because I completely forgot it came out and I need to conclude the surprisingly great series. Will give Book of the New Sun a shot as well.

Reading "Paul Newman: A Life." Paul Newman is one of my favorite celebrities, so this has been a good read. It's a nice break from fiction, too. Watching Cool Hand Luke in high school was what got me into watching older movies. Still one of my favorites.

mhs004

I've been loveing sci fi lately but want to give some fantasy a read. Any recommendations for a good fantasy story like the Lord of the Rings of game of thrones in setting?

Was in the mood for some sci-fi and noir, so picked up some sci-fi noir. Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh. A hitman in a low-fi cyberpunk version of abandoned bombed-out New York. Gritty and briskly-paced. Lean stripped-to-the-bone prose, the kind where the dialogue and descriptions almost have a rhythm to them

At one point, Denzel was in talks to play the protagonist in an adaptation. Probably gives a good idea of the kind of protagonist here

The first in a series. There's a sequel already out, and the author is working on a third book

cover.jpg

Was in the mood for some sci-fi and noir, so picked up some sci-fi noir. Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh. A hitman in a low-fi cyberpunk version of abandoned bombed-out New York. Gritty and briskly-paced.
Wow this sounds great. I think I'll skip the wish list and go right for a blind buy.

justjohn

This summer, I'm calling it 'Russian summer' as I want to start on Russian literature. Been meaning to all these years but always found it intimidating.
Started "The brothers Karamazov" and so far enjoying it. Just as deep as I thought it would be so need to really concentrate.

malts

Currently working through Light in August by William Faulkner. Enjoying it so far but I think the pacing started to get a bit bogged down in the middle. It was very brisk through the first 200 pages or so. Seems to be picking up steam again now about 3/5 through.

Hanzou

Was in the mood for some sci-fi and noir, so picked up some sci-fi noir. Shovel Ready by Adam Sternbergh. A hitman in a low-fi cyberpunk version of abandoned bombed-out New York. Gritty and briskly-paced. Lean stripped-to-the-bone prose, the kind where the dialogue and descriptions almost have a rhythm to them

At one point, Denzel was in talks to play the protagonist in an adaptation. Probably gives a good idea of the kind of protagonist here

The first in a series. There's a sequel already out, and the author is working on a third book

cover.jpg

That is a fantastic cover.

fakefaker

Finally finished The Crow Girl by Erik Axl Sund tonight and it's one finely messed up read. I did enjoy it, though some parts were pretty tedious, but I don't think I would read it again any time soon.

Now onto Tombstone Blues by Chadwick Ginther.

17890820.jpg

Gotta vent about this: Screw Amazon for making the Kindle Lending Library a pain in the ass to access, and screw all the people who put their pseudoscience garbage into the science section. Every other entry in Zoology is about some new age healing crap or bigfoot.

Just finished Children of Earth and Sky by Guy Gavriel Kay.

If you like Kay, read this book. It is another tremendous, graceful achievement.

If you have any interest in the history of the uskoks of Senj, of Dubrovnik, of the Ottoman Empire and Constantinople shortly after it was conquered, then this book will likely also interest you. It is set, as many of Kay's stories are, in his medieval Europe, history with "a quarter turn to the right" of the fantastical.

I gave it 5/5 on Goodreads, but would likely give it 4.5/5. I'd knock .5 point off for a few contrived actions that, while they progressed the story, felt out of place, as though the author was moving pieces rather than the characters.

I haven't decided what I'll read next. As always with Kay, I spend a good portion of the day when I've finished one of his books looking up interesting things on the internet, about a history I knew nothing about, about the people he so carefully molded into life on his pages.

21pppQJKrbL._SL500_.jpg

I've tried several times with this book in the past. I like to read about the movements of young culture thought, and at the time when I originally picked this up (at least two, maybe four years now), I was facing a crisis of faith and hoped to gain some understanding of the two sides. Unfortunately, as with the previous attempts, the writers in this book come off quite abrasive. At least in the first two chapters, it's less about understanding why they made the decision to become atheist, more about why God isn't real and with hints of bashing theism.

I've now made it through the third chapter at least, and I'm going to try to continue, but unless something dramatic changes in the later chapters I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Especially not to someone who was in my position.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom