• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (June 2015)

grab Kafka on the Shore tiebreaker

I will!!!

It's just that I only started running recently, so this book piqued my interest greatly. I really want to know what Murakami talks about when he talks about running. Don't you?

That is one of a couple (along with The Elephant Vanishes, After Dark, and... something else?) that I haven't read, actually. My friend absolutely loves it, though.

I read Dance Dance Dance after A Wild Sheep Chase, because it shares some characters in common, though that did not end up as one of my favorites (Norwegian Wood, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, maybe Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World or Sputnik Sweetheart. I think Kafka might be a favorite on reread, as well).

I watched its movie adaptation.

It was such a good movie that I bought The Wild Sheep Chase after that.

Necrovex

I plan to pick up Murakami's running book once I get back into my running form.

Mumei, would I enjoy the Fairyland series, knowing my feelings on John Prester?

I've been eyeballing reading The Brother Kuramov next once I complete my two current novels. I hear so much about it, and I won't have any better time to read it.

Cade

I really liked On Stranger Tides. Captivating and extremely well-paced while being funny and making me care about terrible pirates. I'll read another Powers book asap, but for now I count down until Nemesis Games releases.

C'mon Amazon. My kindle is charged and waiting.

Dresden

Nope. That was the first one I've read.

I'm contemplating on ordering this book.
running.jpg

Any thoughts on this particular book?

Pretty forgettable. Main thing I remember is his meal that he talks about early on, sitting in Hawaii, eating like, ahi tuna and fruits by the sea. I was rather envious of the whole thing and it's imprinted in me a desire to replicate that meal in a similarly Hawaiian setting.

Aikidoka

I finished Raymond Feist's Magician: Apprentice. By the end, I pretty much hated the book. Everything is so simple and cliched, and I really disliked how everything with the Princess was handled. I heard this revolutionized fantasy in some way, which just seems sad.

Might move on to Brent Week's The Broken Eye.

Bazza

Read these over the last few days

18800655.jpg

18476102.jpg

24358527.jpg

Quite an enjoyable series overall, I wouldn't mind another book down the line but if there isn't I think the last book left the story in a good place and my imagination can take it from there.

Next book on the list is

22886612.jpg

been looking forward to reading this for a while.

Necrovex

I'm heavily considering dropping House of Leaves and jumping to something else. After a few days of reading, the proses aren't clicking with me and the writing style is too jumbled up and insane (I know that's the point). If the book was shorter I'd stick with it, but a 550 page book is too long for a writing style I simply disliked.

Looks like I'll be reading Brother Kuramovs sooner than I expected.

Mumei

I plan to pick up Murakami's running book once I get back into my running form.

Mumei, would I enjoy the Fairyland series, knowing my feelings on John Prester?

I've been eyeballing reading The Brother Kuramov next once I complete my two current novels. I hear so much about it, and I won't have any better time to read it.

Probably not, but personally I think you should work on this shortcoming of yours by forcing yourself to read dense prose until you get a proper appreciation for it! ;)

I will be surprised if you don't complain about Dostoevsky's (or rather, Pevear & Volokhonsky's, since that is the translation you want) prose, as well

Digging it so far.

I wonder if we will ever get a book in this tetralogy that doesn't make it look like the trashiest of sci-fi.

Althane

Read these over the last few days

Quite an enjoyable series overall, I wouldn't mind another book down the line but if there isn't I think the last book left the story in a good place and my imagination can take it from there.

Really? I felt like it ended on the biggest cliffhanger yet.

Humanity is trapped in their home system, which is already half colonized by the unstoppable aliens. The upper crust of society has fled on ark-ships, and a task force has been sent to find them. The protagonist is finally married to his girl, and they've been invited to join a rebellion/populist army.

There's so much begging for resolution, I want to know how they fight the Lankies, what happened to the humanity that fled, what happens to the protagonist!

obin_gam

Regarding science fiction operas I am thinking of starting either Ian M Banks Culture series or The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F Hamilton.

Which one of these does GAF like the most?

Ive tried a few already, and by that I mean I've read their first book, but non really caught me:
Leviathan Wakes = meh.
Dune = An incomprehensible mess
Ringworld = Will definitely continue, but not right now.
Hyperion = First book was great, second not so much.
Foundation = I'd rather take one narrative than just talking heads.
Revelation Space = To many difficult words and slow as hell pacing for me :/

Regarding science fiction operas I am thinking of starting either Ian M Banks Culture series or The Commonwealth Saga by Peter F Hamilton.

Ive tried a few already, and by that I mean I've read their first book, but non really caught me:
Leviathan Wakes = meh.

Jesus read the Culture series. Just do it. Don't even contemplate anything else until you've read up to USE OF WEAPONS.

Draconian

Leviathan Wakes = meh.

Dune is many things, but incomprehensible isn't one of them.

Having finished The Name of the Wind, I'm eagerly anticipating The Wise Man's Fear from the library. Rothfuss's writing is fantastic, much better than GRRM.

In the meantime, I've been reading some nonfiction: The Great Bridge from David McCullough

In the meantime, I've been reading some nonfiction: The Great Bridge from David McCullough

A simply wonderful book - a classic, really. Just an utterly fascinating story. MUCH better than his Panama Canal book (the French started the canal and their efforts collapsed into French politics and court trials, which he covers in PAINFUL detail).

Zona

Leviathan Wakes = meh.

I dearly love both of them but start with The Culture, specifically The Player of Games. Consider Phlebas is well worth a read and will greatly contribute to your enjoyment and understanding of the rest of the series but it's a shitty place to start.

The Commonwealth Saga is a delight to me but I'm the sort of person who doesn't mind that the whole first (800+ page) book is worldbuilding/exposition/set-up for the second book.

I'm not sure how many people here follow the WolfPop podcast Reading Aloud, but they do a book club once a month of comedians and friends of the host Nate Corddry. Figured I'd mention it here because the next book he plans on doing is Stephen King's 11/22/63 and I know it's brought up here a lot so I thought some posters here might be interested.

mu cephei

Leviathan Wakes = meh.

I haven't read The Commonwealth Saga, but the Culture books are amazing. However, I also loved Dune, Hyperion and Revelation Space (I haven't read the others) so your likes may be quite different. But, yeah, the Culture is fab.

Matty77

I'm not sure how many people here follow the WolfPop podcast Reading Aloud, but they do a book club once a month of comedians and friends of the host Nate Corddry. Figured I'd mention it here because the next book he plans on doing is Stephen King's 11/22/63 and I know it's brought up here a lot so I thought some posters here might be interested.
I'm always looking for new podcasts and I enjoyed the book, thanks for the info!

Necrovex

Is that the Dostoyevsky book? If so, it is one of the best books I've had the pleasure to read.

It is, lacking an actual Internet connection on my computer, I had to wing the name's spelling.

Probably not, but personally I think you should work on this shortcoming of yours by forcing yourself to read dense prose until you get a proper appreciation for it! ;)

I will be surprised if you don't complain about Dostoevsky's (or rather, Pevear & Volokhonsky's, since that is the translation you want) prose, as well

Dense prose wreck my brain, I hate dissecting what I'm actually reading. Spending five minutes on a page kills me inside. That's one reason why I love non-fiction works!

And watch me enjoy Dostovesky's work just to spite you!

Mumei

Dostoevsky's prose is not difficult to read in the least, in any translation.

I am not arguing that it is difficult to read; I'm arguing that it is different from the sort of prose (think Brandon Sanderson) that he prefers. I mean, he didn't like A Wizard of Earthsea's prose, which is basically sinful.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Personally, my favorite work of Russian literature- unless we're counting émigrés, I suppose - is Dostoevsky's The Brothers Karamazov.

Then again, I haven't read Crime and Punishment since 2008, and I was not as practiced a reader than as I am now.

I completely agree that Karamazov is more interesting than Crime and Punishment. I also like The Idiot better than C&P.

Have you read a lot of Russian authors, Mumei? I personally sort of enjoy both Bulgakov, Nabokov, Turgenev and Pushkin more than Dostoevsky tbh. The Master and Margerita is probably my favorite work of Russian litterature all time. :)

ryseing

In a bit of a rut. Just finished Paper Towns, and did not like it nearly as enough as Green's other work. I read in some interview that Paper Towns was Green's attempt to kill the manic pixie dream girl, and I don't think he did a great job of that.

Very meh. Looking for Alaska is still Green's GOAT. Dunno what to read next. I have a wishlist on my Kindle but nothing is sticking out.

Necrovex

I am not arguing that it is difficult to read; I'm arguing that it is different from the sort of prose (think Brandon Sanderson) that he prefers. I mean, he didn't like A Wizard of Earthsea's prose, which is basically sinful.

Well it's going to be a long burn, but I started reading it and I'm liking what I'm seeing thus far.

Earthsea is drier than a desert. I'm going to give the series another shot though, so it should be grateful for my generosity.

5130XwQUcTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Has anyone who is a programmer read this? It's been a while for me, but I know enough to smell giant programming buzzword dumps by someone who doesn't 100% grasp the subject. I can think of other novels that have done this: 'Trace the ping of the IP address so we can identify the router's subnet on the darkweb!' Ugh. Actual quote from this book: 'He called the compiler's compiler.'

I'm only 25% in. Maybe it gets better...the author does seem credentialed in the machine/human interface discipline...

Pau

I dearly love both of them but start with The Culture, specifically The Player of Games. Consider Phlebas is well worth a read and will greatly contribute to your enjoyment and understanding of the rest of the series but it's a shitty place to start.

The Commonwealth Saga is a delight to me but I'm the sort of person who doesn't mind that the whole first (800+ page) book is worldbuilding/exposition/set-up for the second book.
Maybe I'll try The Culture series again with The Player of Games. Consider Phlebas just wasn't what I was expecting. (I was expecting something a bit more like Le Guin's science fiction, I guess.)

Also, Necrovex. :(

VanWinkle

I am a big fan of Sanderson style prose, but I think Dostoevsky's prose is great.

Just started The Way of Kings by Sanderson.

Whoops, it's 200 pages later and I've accomplished nothing today.

One of my favorite books ever. Enjoy!

Mumei

Such sin as I have never encountered before.

It's truly tragic.

Well it's going to be a long burn, but I started reading it and I'm liking what I'm seeing thus far.

I am pleasantly surprised!

Earthsea is drier than a desert. I'm going to give the series another shot though, so it should be grateful for my generosity.

I shall make a special note not to suggest Kawabata to you.

I completely agree that Karamazov is more interesting than Crime and Punishment. I also like The Idiot better than C&P.

Have you read a lot of Russian authors, Mumei? I personally sort of enjoy both Bulgakov, Nabokov, Turgenev and Pushkin more than Dostoevsky tbh. The Master and Margerita is probably my favorite work of Russian litterature all time. :)

No, I'm not especially well-read in Russian literature; just three Dostoevsky and one Tolstoy. I suppose you could count Nabokov, but he's always seemed like his own little émigré category.

Can you recommend specific translators / editions?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
No, I'm not especially well-read in Russian literature; just three Dostoevsky and one Tolstoy. I suppose you could count Nabokov, but he's always seemed like his own little émigré category.

Can you recommend specific translators / editions?

Sorry Mumei, I'd love to be of help, but I haven't read any of these in English translations.

re: Russian literature

I read a lot of shorts and hardly any books. I read C&P like 15 years ago. It's alright. My favorite short story is White Night. I read it every few months.

The Karamazov Brothers did nothing to me... it just felt like a chore at some point, since I didn't care for any of the characters

Reading How the Left's Outrage Industry Shuts Down Debate, Manipulates Voters, and Makes American Less Free (and Fun). Can agree with it that the way somethings happen here in America, that avenues of debate have been shut down with only the more vocal and liberal side listening to themselves and not anyone else.

Also kind of always makes me feel odd when I read nonfiction books and they are referring to stuff that happened earlier in the same calendar year.

5130XwQUcTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Has anyone who is a programmer read this? It's been a while for me, but I know enough to smell giant programming buzzword dumps by someone who doesn't 100% grasp the subject. I can think of other novels that have done this: 'Trace the ping of the IP address so we can identify the router's subnet on the darkweb!' Ugh. Actual quote from this book: 'He called the compiler's compiler.'

I'm only 25% in. Maybe it gets better...the author does seem credentialed in the machine/human interface discipline...

He did work for Microsoft :)

I do find it amusing that Nexus runs on a Linux O/S :)

Started reading Fahrenheit 451, it started slow and picked up. But I think I'm in a slower part again, but I'll stick with it.

Gonna try to read a brave new world next, I tried back in April but I wasn't feeling it.

The Mule

Wanted to get started on the Culture series and I heard the order doesn't really matter, as they're standalone for the most part. I heard that this was an excellent book in that series.

12007.jpg

I'm a few chapters in now, and starting to warm up to it. The first few chapters were a bit confusing, and frankly, kinda weird... almost surreal, with an oddball sense of humour.
Random drunk guy under the table who acts like a fool. Space ships that spawn puppy dog-like avatars, or fish in a ball of floating water?

But it has really started to pick up the story now and I'm getting swept up with it.

After that I might return to the Expanse series. I immensely enjoyed Leviathan Wakes, so I'll pickup this next.

calibans-war.jpg

Althane

Wanted to get started on the Culture series and I heard the order doesn't really matter, as they're standalone for the most part. I heard that this was an excellent book in that series.

12007.jpg

I'm a few chapters in now, and starting to warm up to it. The first few chapters were a bit confusing, and frankly, kinda weird... almost surreal, with an oddball sense of humour.
Random drunk guy under the table who acts like a fool. Space ships that spawn puppy dog-like avatars, or fish in a ball of floating water?

But it has really started to pick up the story now and I'm getting swept up with it.

So, the Culture has a somewhat... high-brow low-brow humor to it. For instance, the ship names are a recurring joke throughout the books.

I don't know if I would have suggested The Use of Weapons as the first Culture novel, it's god, but a lighter introduction into the Culture might be a good idea. Once you're done, I'd suggest The Player of Games, which is my go-to introduction book. It has a decent amount of everything that makes a Culture novel a culture novel.

But yeah, Iain Banks was a fantastic writer. Truly a loss to the literary world.

Ashes

Banned
If you bother to read good shit because it is often referred to as such, I always think you should read up on why literary majors think it is good shit.
Even basic analysis can be pretty cool. So you get a greater context etc..
Introductions are meh sometimes, but google is good at offering some real insightful stuff.

We all of us have neither the time nor inclination to expand on most readings of a book. But there are loads of books that are well worth looking up. Or maybe that's just me. Lol.

Mumei

Edit: I said nothing good here, so it's gone.

Dammit. I missed it.

If you bother to read good shit because it is often referred to as such, I always think you should read up on why literary majors think it is good shit.

Even basic analysis can be pretty cool. So you get a greater context etc..

Introductions are meh sometimes, but google is good at offering some real insightful stuff.

We all of us have neither the time nor inclination to expand on most readings of a book. But there are loads of books that are well worth looking up. Or maybe that's just me. Lol.

Oh, I agree. Reading annotated editions of Lolita, The Hobbit, and Pride & Prejudice added greatly to my appreciation of those, as books analyzing The Story of the Stone, Pale Fire, and Gene Wolfe's and (currently) Murakami's respective oeuvres.

Captain.Falafel

Neo Member
On the missus's recommendation:

41qXeFRnX5L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've watched the film with Philip Seymour Hoffman but never read the book. I've actually put down For Whom The Bell Tolls halfway through because the amount of death I deal with at my new job is somewhat overwhelming, and the dread that permeates throughout that book was overbearing.

Which makes this seem like an odd switch to make. I hope it doesn't color my perception of it. Would be happy to hear any thoughts on the book from those that have read it.

Mumei

I basically said that Sanderson's prose is pedestrian, and Dostoyevsky in translation isn't much better. If you're going to use those two writers as a high watermark, well...

Have you read this old article? I thought it was really interesting, especially the bits about Dostoevsky in Russian and how Pevear & Volokhonsky translated him:

One day, when Richard was reading “Karamazov” (in a translation by one of Garnett’s epigones, David Magarshak), Larissa, who had read the book many times in the original, began peeking over her husband’s shoulder to read along with him. She was outraged. It’s not there! she thought. He doesn’t have it! He’s an entirely different writer!

As an experiment, a lark, Pevear and Volokhonsky decided to collaborate on their own “Karamazov.” After looking at the various translations—Magarshak, Andrew MacAndrew, and, of course, Constance Garnett—they worked on three sample chapters. Their division of labor was—and remains—nearly absolute: First, Larissa wrote out a kind of hyperaccurate trot of the original, complete with interstitial notes about Dostoyevsky’s diction, syntax, and references. Then, Richard, who has never mastered conversational Russian, wrote a smoother, more Englished text, constantly consulting Larissa about the original and the possibilities that it did and did not allow. They went back and forth like this several times, including a final session in which Richard read his English version aloud while Larissa followed along in the Russian. Their hope was to be true to Dostoyevsky, right down to his famous penchant for repetition, seeming sloppiness, and melodrama.

Dostoyevsky’s detractors have faulted him for erratic, even sloppy, prose and what Nabokov, the most famous of the un-fans, calls his “gothic rodomontade.” “Dostoyevsky did write in a hurry,” Pevear said. “He had terrible deadlines to meet. He wrote ‘Crime and Punishment’ and ‘The Gambler’ simultaneously. He knew that if he didn’t finish ‘The Gambler’ on time he would lose the rights to all his future books for the next nine years. That’s when he hired his future wife as a stenographer and dictated it to her. Tolstoy was better paid, and he didn’t even need the money. And yet Dostoyevsky’s roughness, despite the rush and the pressure, was all deliberate. No matter what the deadline, if he didn’t like what he had, he would throw it all out and start again. So this so-called clumsiness is seen in his drafts, the way he works on it. It’s deliberate. His narrator is not him; it’s always a bad provincial writer who has an unpolished quality but is deeply expressive. In the beginning of ‘The Brothers Karamazov,’ in the note to the reader, there is the passage about ‘being at a loss to resolve these questions, I am resolved to leave them without any resolution.’ He stumbles. It’s all over the place.”

“And this is how people speak,” Volokhonsky said. “We mix metaphors, we stumble, we make mistakes.”

“Other translators smooth it out,” Pevear said. “We don’t.”

I went to a bookstore that sells used english books near where I live. The Clerk or Owner wasn't the most pleasant man I've met, but I went home with a book on my hand.

The store didn't have much selections on Murakami's works. It was between a short story collection and the After Dark. So, I went with the After Dark.

It's surprisingly short. I'm pretty much halfway through the book and I reckon I will be done with it by tomorrow. So far I like that he acknowledge the reader as passive viewer of the events happening in the book.

Top Bottom