• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
41PplPT-ywL.jpg

Console Wars - Right up my alley so far.

51Ns7E86UwL.jpg

I am going through and reading all the King books that I have managed to miss, in chronological order. I'm up to 1999, woo.

Flintty

I don't think there'd be a problem with that. Please share.

Well here it is then but if there are any issues I'll happily remove it.

41%2BMTHFuHmL.jpg

London Shadows is a book my wife has been writing for six years. It's her first book to be put on general sale primarily through Amazon worldwide, available in paperback and Kindle version. I read the first draft of this book about three years ago and whilst I though it was a great read, my wife wasn't happy and has re-written most of it. I haven't yet finished it in it's current form but I'm hoping it is as good as the first draft!

It has been interesting to see the development of her ideas over time and the amount of work she has put into it - so much so that I have a new found respect for authors. I never knew quite how hard these people work!

If it sounds like your thing and you do buy it, please leave any positive or negative feedback for her - she is forever striving for perfection in her writing!

@Flizzzipper That Console Wars looks right up my street! I was firmly placed in the Nintendo/Mario camp during the 90's and remember the arguments with my friends not only being about what system was better but who would win a fight between Mario and Sonic lol. I think I might have to make a purchase!

theapg

Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I loved the beginning, and overall really enjoyed the book (gave it 5 stars on goodreads), but it did seem to drag when he was
in Texas for about 2/3 of the book
. The ending was pretty different from what I was expecting, but I guess it worked for me.

Finished
200px-Ratners_star.jpg

and

dfwinfinitejest.jpg

in the past week and half.

Read 500 pages of IJ this weekend, 250 today to finish it off. I couldn't put it down during those last 150 pages. Both novels are excellent, and thematically intertwine in many ways. I'm interested in pursuing more of DFW's works to see how I can further tie the two authors together along with Pynchon. I've heard interesting things about Gaddis as well, so I've got a couple of his novels on order to read in the upcoming months.

In light of the world cup, I'm working through both of these:
9780747553106.jpg

Ceebs

Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I loved the beginning, and overall really enjoyed the book (gave it 5 stars on goodreads), but it did seem to drag when he was
in Texas for about 2/3 of the book
. The ending was pretty different from what I was expecting, but I guess it worked for me.

I thought the life in Texas portion of the book was the best part, but I like it when stories take pause to do a normal life section during a characters quest. For instance the part of American Gods that Shadow spends in Wisconsin was also my favorite.

Finished Fool Moon over the weekend. I thought it was a little better than the first one. I liked the interactions between the characters more than the first, but I didn't really like the wolf case all that much.
Is Dresden being accused and arrested going to happen in every book? How many times can Murphy be stupid?

Jumping right into Grave Peril.

Winter John

I have been making my way through The Dark Tower series. I read them as they were published originally, but with the new installment I thought it would be a good idea to read the whole series again. I've finally gotten to the last one after many months. I won't give away any details but there are certain parts in the last two books that are totally cringeworthy. The writing is atrocious and I'm surprised he hasn't rewritten those sections. Apart from that, I have enjoyed going on the journey with Roland again.

Bazza

Finished 'Vacuum Diagrams' at the weekend, a collection of really good short story's that add quite a bit to the series.

Moved straight on to 'Coalescent' i'm just over half way through and am still waiting for the Scifi bit, Its not that its not been a good read so far its actually quite good but how it fits into the Zeelee sequence I don't know, I assume things will start changing towards the end but the book isn't quite what I was expecting.

Necrovex

I thought the life in Texas portion of the book was the best part, but I like it when stories take pause to do a normal life section during a characters quest. For instance the part of American Gods that Shadow spends in Wisconsin was also my favorite.

Laketown was great! Loved reading through those segments.

ShaneB

Just read a chapter in ‘Raising Cubby’ that I really loved and just wanted to share. It was John talking about his son’s learning troubles while young, and focused on his lack of interest in reading, but loving being read to. Was going through all sorts of tests and whatnot to find out the issues, but then mentioned when Harry Potter came along it all changed. And it just reminded me how great it is that find a book (or book series in this case), where you just get so wrapped up, and it becomes something greater. And just how something like that can be such a massive influence on a young persons love for reading and the social aspect of wanting to keep up with friends. Just thought that was a very touching moment to connect with.

As much as I’ve said long series tend to be daunting for me, I can understand the excitement of being along for the ride and getting caught up in the excitement of it all.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Skin game by him butcher. It's going to be awesome but I'm already at 10% :(

lightus

Finished up The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson yesterday. The first book was better. This book focused much more on character development, but somehow managed to make some characters feel more shallow than in the first. Some of the twists I managed to guess within the first 150 pages, which isn't great as I normally try to avoid guessing twists. I really didn't care for the ending at all, it seemed to deflate a lot of the conflicts earlier in the book
just to get a "tricked ya!".

I'm a sucker for atmosphere though, and as a result I could look past most of the book's flaws. On top of this, there were some great "hell yeah" moments that helped balance out the slower portions of the book.

I wanna give it a 3.5. Rounded up to 4 stars on Goodreads.

Next up is:
3333821.jpg

I wanted a shorter book to give me a brief interlude before finishing up the Mistborn Trilogy. I've been hearing about Heart of Darkness for awhile now so figured it'd be a good time to get it out of the way.

Woorloog

Banned
Finished up The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson yesterday. The first book was better. This book focused much more on character development, but somehow managed to make some characters feel more shallow than in the first. Some of the twists I managed to guess within the first 150 pages, which isn't great as I normally try to avoid guessing twists. I really didn't care for the ending at all, it seemed to deflate a lot of the conflicts earlier in the book

I'm a sucker for atmosphere though, and as a result I could look past most of the book's flaws. On top of this, there were some great "hell yeah" moments that helped balance out the slower portions of the book.

WoA is odd. I've always had conflicted feelings about it. On one hand, it has some great (IMO, of course) scenes and characters (Zane), and pretty good atmosphere, on the other hand, it is about the kingdom's politics, making the book's name really non-indicative. The end is kind of detached from the rest of the book (Sanderson actually talks about this in his annotations for the book, if i recall correctly).
Ultimately i like the first book of the trilogy most.

Piecake

Next up is:
3333821.jpg

I wanted a shorter book to give me a brief interlude before finishing up the Mistborn Trilogy. I've been hearing about Heart of Darkness for awhile now so figured it'd be a good time to get it out of the way.

Thats like one of the longest shortest books ever

Thats like one of the longest shortest books ever

What a clever way to put that, very accurate.

I've been reading:

I don't think it's sticking. Mostly about adrift characters, wallowing, remembering, doing things and then wallowing some more. The prose doesn't strike me and the characters are unbelievable.

One of Stephenson's earlier works. He wrote most of it, with George's political/historical help. It's got Stephenson's wit and detail in it, but you can tell he's also learning how to balance multiple plot threads at once (something I'm not sure he mastered until Cryptonomicon). Still a riot.

On the to-read pile:

I just bought this one on Unglue.it which I think is a pretty rad way to sell and buy ebooks. It's a reworking on Sundman's 1999 novel Acts of the Apostles, which I've hard good things about. Bio-techno-thriller.

Drake

Just finished The Dresden Files : Cold Days which I enjoyed (I enjoy all the Dresden Files books). I'll read Skin Game within the next couple of months.

Up next is The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan. I LOVED A Promise of Blood, so I'm really looking forward to this book. It's probably going to take me a while to get through it because I've been working 50 hours a week, so it doesn't leave me much time to read.

Piecake

I am still listening to this, and I am not deeply impressed with the research. She tells a great tale, but it seems like she takes the sources at face value and doesn't really critique them. I am mostly basing this off of the Ida Tarbell portion of it because that is what I know most about thanks to the Rockefeller biography I read.

Goodwin seems to take Tarbell's whole account at face value when their are errors. She claims that Rockefeller just created a trust and monopolized the oil field for the hell of it, but it was in response to the oil glut that caused prices to sharply fall below even the point of profit. Moreover, one of the major reasons why he was able to build a strong base at first was that he was able to cut his costs significantly lower than his competitors and went all in on the oil fields, i.e. super aggressive. To become the gigantic monopoly the railroad rebates and special rates were pretty key, but that was not the difference between him and the other independent oil men.

The sad thing is, is that Rockefeller actually did more egregious things than Tarbell knew, but by Goodwin stating that what Tarbell said was complete truth, it makes me worry about all the rest of her book.

The worst sin is she perpetuates the Tarbell myth that these independent oil producers were some heroes of competitive capitalism, which is just bullshit. They were trying to cooperate (failed) and get lower rates for themselves. Rockefeller was simply better, more aggressive and more ruthless.

I am not sure if I want to read Team of Rivals now. Like I said, the narrative is quite good, but that lack of diligent research bugs the crap out of me. I shouldn't be able to find this obvious mistake when I've barely read any books on the robber barons, standard oil and the progressives.

I don't think it's sticking. Mostly about adrift characters, wallowing, remembering, doing things and then wallowing some more. The prose doesn't strike me and the characters are unbelievable.

Heh, it's like I wrote that review. I have a low threshold for adrift, wallowing, navel-gazing characters too.

Jag

Up next is The Crimson Campaign by Brian McClellan. I LOVED A Promise of Blood, so I'm really looking forward to this book.

Promise of Blood has really got its hooks in me. Started out slow, but worth the wait.

5CKdK8K.jpg

Started reading it few days ago. Never read a David Foster Wallace before and thought this might be a good place to start. Finished the first story. Very dense and convoluted, but I liked it a lot.

Started reading it few days ago. Never read a David Foster Wallace before and thought this might be a good place to start. Finished the first story. Very dense and convoluted, but I liked it a lot.

If you haven't heard him talk, there are some great videos on Youtube as well. He's very interesting to listen to.

This one in particular was really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfjjSj9coA0

It can help you get into the mindset of DFW, which probably would help with reading his works (I've only just finished Infinite Jest myself).

If you haven't heard him talk, there are some great videos on Youtube as well. He's very interesting to listen to.

This one in particular was really good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfjjSj9coA0

It can help you get into the mindset of DFW, which probably would help with reading his works (I've only just finished Infinite Jest myself).
Will surely watch this. Actually, it was his commencement speech that got me interested in him http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI
Such a great speech.

Anon67

Started to read Halo: Silentium. Pretty good book. I should be done with it soon and will begin to read Thinking, Fast and Slow.

Nuke Soda

Started reading Catch 22 by Joseph Heller. I did attempt to read it a few years ago and it was really funny, but for some reason I got distracted and never finished. Now I plan on righting that wrong.

ASIS

DSCN0754%2B%2528Medium%2529.JPG

I have to admit I only got this book because of GRRM. I had no clue it was written in the 80s until I finished it. It was a wonderful ride with memorable and likable characters. What was strange about it is that the characters seemed to defy classic tropes in this genre, but the progression of the story remains nonetheless predictable. Make no mistake, though. The book is great and intense!

secret_history_penguin1.jpg

Picked this up on a whim as well. still reading. I'm 230-ish pages in so far. But I'm warming up to the book. The characters are all very unique, and the alludes to something big happening later on, what is it I don't know. It's a bout a guy named Richard who enrolls in Hampden university of liberal arts. He was fascinated with Greek (which he only studied by chance in his previous uni), but mainly enrolled to study english literature.

He wanted to continue his Greek studies, but the one professor, called Julian, who offers a greek course is very peculiar. He only accepts a very small number of people (only 5 in this term), and when he finally accepted Richard as the sixth student, he asked him to drop all courses but french, and only accepts courses which Julian is in charge of. Richard accepts these terms and joins the club. He begins to blend in with his colleagues rather well after an abrupt start. But then, things turn strange, very strange, as he gets to know them better.

I won't spoil the rest but yeah, it's quite a setting.

Also, just a question. E-readers or traditional books? Which one do you guys prefer?

DSCN0754%2B%2528Medium%2529.JPG

I have to admit I only got this book because of GRRM. I had no clue it was written in the 80s until I finished it. It was a wonderful ride with memorable and likable characters. What was strange about it is that the characters seemed to defy classic tropes in this genre, but the progression of the story remains nonetheless predictable. Make no mistake, though. The book is great and intense!
Also, just a question. E-readers or traditional books? Which one do you guys prefer?

Yes, Fevre Dream is really great, not to mention unique. I didn't know what it was about before reading it, which made me like it even more. Vampires on a steamboat?!

Although I was a BIG proponent of tradition books before getting a Kindle, I've switched to the ereader side. It's just so convenient to have a bunch of books with me on the Kindle at one time. And most of the books I read, I'd only read once anyway, so it cuts down on how much physical space I have to set aside for books. Now, I mostly buy physical books if it has good pictures or if I'm going to gift it to a friend, or if I'm getting it signed.

Depends on how close I am to moving in the next six months.

Honestly I enjoy digital books because they're cheaper and it's easier to get my hands on a variety. I've been branching out into self-published territory and it's an untamed but intriguing landscape, as it should be. Can't beat a cheap paperback for traveling though - don't have to worry about it getting stolen.

Finished The Strain

StrainDelToroHoganCover.jpg

I enjoyed the story though the writing itself had me rolling my eyes more than once. Curious how the FX show will turn out. They are using the bald headed guy from season one of House Of Cards as the doctor and Walder Frey as Setrakian

9780385530828.jpg

Michio Kaku The Future of the Mind, This is one of the very best brain book I've read. It is tremendously thorough in each explanation and wide in the selection of topics. I'm not even halfway through, but really impressed so far.

I just finished book two of the Dark Tower series. I liked it a lot and enjoyed how it ended.

I just started reading the 2nd Dune book after reading the first a couple of years ago
106.jpg

Holy crap. I forgot how intricate the dialogue was. It starts off with this assassination plot scene that left my head spinning.

Also, after years of waiting and then ultimately forgetting about I'm going to pick up Scott Sigler's Pandemic.
pandemic-cover.jpg

Can't wait to see how this turns out. Infected is the only book that has mad me feel queasy.

E-reader all the way for me. Specifically, the Kindle Paperwhite. Can't recommend it enough. All my books in one place, light, compact, and I can read anywhere, anytime thanks to the backlit screen.

Winter John

Kindle Fire for me. The Kindle is my favourite gadget of the last 10 years. Before I had one I thought they were frivolous, silly things. Then my wife bought me one and I absolutely love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom