• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (May 2014)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, just a question. E-readers or traditional books? Which one do you guys prefer?

Books. I mostly read non-fiction so I'm always jumping around between references, appendix, notes, figures, etc. The location vs. page issue can be a pain when doing research too.
E-readers are better for fiction.

sgossard

Also, just a question. E-readers or traditional books? Which one do you guys prefer?

Kindle Paperwhite was a game changer for me. I can read ANYTHING (almost) ANYWHERE. Right now I'd be carrying the hefty A Storm of Swords and a flashlight everywhere if it wasn't for my kindle.

Jintor

E-reader for stuff I'm not sure on, or stuff I'm sure is kinda crappy and pulp (wish I could get those for $2 all the time...)

Seanspeed

Banned
Kindle Paperweight is one of my favourite gadgets ever. If you like to read when you're about, its much more convenient to carry than a book. Its easier to hold than a book(something people don't talk about much, but is a great positive). I can read in darkness or low-light settings just fine. I can read multiple books without having to handle them all individually. I can adjust the font, spacing and font size of what I read. No licking fingers or fumbling to turn pages, you can do it all super easy, with just one hand. You never have to worry about wear on your books when re-reading your favourite books for the 5th time. Prices for e-books are almost always a fair bit lower than normal books. This is especially nice when a book first comes out in hardcover only, which tend to be pricey - no such issue with e-books.

I could probably think of a few other good things about it. But basically, while there is definitely something nice about reading a real book, the advantages of having my Paperwhite outweigh this massively. In the end, I find I read quite a bit more now and I know I'm not alone in that, which is probably the best thing you could say about it.

ShaneB

Welcome aboard! =) Glad to see you post here after the thread you made.

Getting an eReader pretty much rejuvenated my love of reading, so for that I am very thankful, the tactile feel of an actual paperback is great and I still go the bookstore to browse and pick up things on sale (bought 2 books last weekend actually for 2 bucks each, 'The Eleventh Man - Ivan Doig", and "Drood - Dan Simmons", so there's always that.

But I just love reading on the eReader, no worries about my collection of books taking up too much space, or wondering where it's all going to go, etc etc, it's just perfect. Buying things is so simple and fast, so browsing for something to read is lots of fun.

It really depends. If I'm trying out a new author, or it's a book I'm simply curious about, I'll buy the Kindle edition. If it's an author I love, or a classic book, I go with the physical edition. Since I'm fairly selective about adding to my physical library, I stick to nice editions, usually the best I can find. I have no problem laying down $20-$200 for a book, as long as it's a beautiful edition.

I still love the look and feel of a book, especially if it's one I love, but for convenience sake, you can't beat an ereader. Right now I read on my paperwhite at home, and on my phone at work, or when I'm out and about. Also just installed audible on my phone, so I've been listening to stuff while I'm working on my feet, so it really helps pass the time and not notice the work as much.

Herr K

Banned
Right now, Rendezvous with Rama. I'm also reading a couple of Der Spiegel's e-books on the side.

I'm also on team e-reader. Incredibly convenient, and in my experience with a Paperwhite, it's definitely superior to paper. The fact that you can look up and translate unknown words, update your Goodreads status as you're reading, mark and even share a passage via social networks and the ability to buy things on the go, simply put the PW way over paper.

Right now, Rendezvous with Rama. I'm also reading a couple of Der Spiegel's e-books on the side.

I'm also on team e-reader. Incredibly convenient, and in my experience with a Paperwhite, it's definitely superior to paper. The fact that you can look up and translate unknown words, update your Goodreads status as you're reading, mark and even share a passage via social networks and the ability to buy things on the go, simply put the PW way over paper.

Yes! I forgot about that feature. It's so handy to have a dictionary lookup when you just highlight the word. I've become so dependent on it now that when I read physical books, I sometimes point at the word and expect the definition to pop up.

Red Mage

ku-xlarge.jpg

Pretty good so far. Dresden is
ordered by Mab to help Nicodemus break into Hades' vault and then screw him over once the Denarian has whatever he's looking for.

I needed a good thriller to get me back into regular book reading mode (Going Clear by Lawrence Wright is certainly interesting, but I'm not in a non-fiction mood) so I just got Thomas Harris's Red Dragon. Hopefully I'll enjoy it, I need more Hannibal in my life since the season ended.

Nelo Ice

Banned

Ereader, I'm reading so much more now that I have a Kindle Paperwhite. Can read just about anywhere and have all the books I want in one place. Only way I'm getting a physical book now is for collection purposes or to get them signed.

Shiv47

I completely get the convenience of e-books, and I even bought a Kindle, but I quickly went back to regular books. My wife co-opted the Kindle and reads her romance novels on it now, which is fine. I prefer the tactile pleasure of a real book. I like turning pages. I like the smell of paper. I like a well-designed cover. I like going to bookstores and browsing and finding things I didn't know about. I don't get any of that with an e-reader. To each their own, though.

ShaneB

I like going to bookstores and browsing and finding things I didn't know about. I don't get any of that with an e-reader. To each their own, though.

I mean, I get this, and I even mentioned it in my post above how much I enjoy that, but also, how easy it is to browse online at your shop of choice. I love browsing around Amazon or Goodreads and just click away hoping to find a gem. If anything else a physical bookstore might have clutter and books upon books all over the place, whereas an online interface will always have what you see front and center. Anyway, as you say, to each their own 

I just finished Raising Cubby, and I think I’ll give it a 5/5 as well, or at least a very strong 4.5/5 when I write a little review later. Just loved both of these books from John Elder Robison so much. Was debating maybe 4 because it feels like it could be more enjoyable to parents, as John's story he tells his son growing up are probably more relatable, but there's so much I liked about it from start to finish.

fakefaker

I mean, I get this, and I even mentioned it in my post above how much I enjoy that, but also, how easy it is to browse online at your shop of choice. I love browsing around Amazon or Goodreads and just click away hoping to find a gem. If anything else a physical bookstore might have clutter and books upon books all over the place, whereas an online interface will always have what you see front and center. Anyway, as you say, to each their own 

Actually I love Goodreads for finding books, but love going to a book store to see what's new and to see where people are browsing and just the whole experience of being around books and people who love them. The net is a great way to pinpoint books you want to read, but people in a bookstore might point a book out you'd never thought to read. I think both options are great.

Jintor

Actually I love Goodreads for finding books, but love going to a book store to see what's new and to see where people are browsing and just the whole experience of being around books and people who love them. The net is a great way to pinpoint books you want to read, but people in a bookstore might point a book out you'd never thought to read. I think both options are great.

Talking? In a bookstore? Surely you jest

survivor

Banned
If you enjoyed Heaney's Beowulf, then you should probably explore some of his other translations. His version of Antigone is especially wonderful.
Thanks for the recommendation. Doing a bit of reading on it and I should probably pick up the other Theban plays along with it.

Bazza

Finished Skin Game last night, another enjoyable Dresden book. Im glad it didn't end with as many WTF moments (
Like Molly becoming the Winter Lady in Cold Days
) because it makes the wait for the next book so much more manageable.

Glad Harry finally got to meet his daughter their little bit int he book together was quite sweet. I guess we also get introduced too Dresden's new "Kid" in the next book as well.

Fusebox

Banned
Just finished The Golem and the Jinni. I bought it on Kindle daily deal sale with no real expectations and it was absolutely superb, I thoroughly enjoyed it.

On+the+Shelf+-+The+Golem+and+the+Jinni.jpg

Just started House of Blades, I bought this on sale ages ago and finally got around to checking it out. It's pretty decent magical fantasy fare, I like the Simon character and the magic system seems neat so far too.

9780989671705_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

Meteorain

Currently reading Zero Sight. It's pretty interesting so far!

11012966.jpg

Just started House of Blades, I bought this on sale ages ago and finally got around to checking it out. It's pretty decent magical fantasy fare, I like the Simon character and the magic system seems neat so far too.

9780989671705_p0_v1_s260x420.JPG

I've read the first 2 books for this. The whole premise and stuff is cool and interesting, but it does a feel a childish compared to a lot of other works.

If you can put aside the teen-level writing at times it's not so bad.

Unless I am teaching a novel, it's ebook. The Paperwhite 2nd ed is amazing. For poetry, literary criticism, and literary theory, texts. And I didn't even think I would like ebooks...

Had no idea Heaney translated Antigone... :bought!

Okay long story short, my copy of the Gunslinger (dark tower book 1) was lost in shipping. Im thinking about getting the kindle version, because I have a midnight shift tonight, and would really like to read. While I can, I dont want to spend the extra 5 bucks because of someones mistake. Someone sell me on this book, so I can make bad impulsive purchasing decisions........

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
XkywWEa.jpg

The 2014 Hugo Award Voter Packet has been released! This is available to all voters, and contains (literally) thousands of pages and millions of words of SFF goodness, including the entire Wheel of Time series, a ton of short fiction, and some graphic novels.

If you're interested, I'm giving away a free download of my own contribution, a collection of ten essays and reviews from several Hugo-nominated writers, away for free on my (Hugo-nominated) blog, A Dribble of Ink. You don't have to be a voter to download it!

Masenkame

If you're interested, I'm giving away a free download of my own contribution, a collection of ten essays and reviews from several Hugo-nominated writers, away for free on my (Hugo-nominated) blog, A Dribble of Ink. You don't have to be a voter to download it!

That's great, you have a lovely website and congratulations on the nomination.

Tor.com has received several Hugo nominations for short fiction and the site is giving them away on their website: Get Tor.com’s Original Fiction Hugo Finalists for Free

There are Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iTunes links on the page.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
That's great, you have a lovely website and congratulations on the nomination.

Tor.com has received several Hugo nominations for short fiction and the site is giving them away on their website: Get Tor.com’s Original Fiction Hugo Finalists for Free

There are Amazon, Barnes & Noble, and iTunes links on the page.

Thanks! I'm not sure I stand a chance against my co-nominees, but it's a fun opportunity all the same.

Almost all of the short fiction nominees are available to reader for free on the 'net. SF Signal has a great link collection: http://www.sfsignal.com/archives/20...ard-1939-retro-hugos-with-free-fiction-links/

Necrovex

Finished The Two Towers. I am heavily considering joining The Silmarillion book club for June, and holding off on Return of the Kings until August. Right now I am reading the first novel in this four-book series:

osu61303

Just finished 11/22/63 by Stephen King, was pretty good. Ending kind of fell apart I thought, but would still recommend! Starting Storm Front due to going on a Dresden Files Amazon sale spending spree.

LProtag

Just finished The Fall of Hyperion.

I think I might take a break from the series before reading the last two books. Not sure what I'll read next just yet.

Just finished Shift by Hugh Howey. Definitely struggled with this one. I'll put up a review on Goodreads in a bit.

Gonna jump back into Cornwell's Saxon series with Death of Kings before I finish up the Wool series.

kswiston

I am currently reading Quicksilver, book 1 of the Baroque Cycle by Neil Stephenson. I am only ~150 pages into it, but the book is a really interesting piece of historical fiction so far. I don't think I would recommend it to everyone, given the heavy focus 15-16th century natural philosophy and mathematics, but if you are a science or history person, give it a try. The book gets into the calculus feud between Leibniz and Isaac Newton, the creation of the Royal Society of London, and the political/cultural climate of England and the American colonies at that point in time. Given that I'm reading part 1 of an 8 part series, it probably covers other things as well.

Just started:

It's interesting take on the working poor because of when it was written. The book was written between 1998 and 2001 before the financial crises and it still shows as bad. I don't think the author ever imagined how much worse it would get.

Fusebox

Banned
I've read the first 2 books for this. The whole premise and stuff is cool and interesting, but it does a feel a childish compared to a lot of other works.

If you can put aside the teen-level writing at times it's not so bad.

You're right, I'm into book 2 now and it's super tweeny, they even have that whole everyone-belongs-to-different-factions trope that's so huge right now. It's fairly enjoyable though so I think I'll quickly burn through the rest of the trilogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom