• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (October 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
51UT%2BhaHnJL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I'm a fan of Butcher's Dresden Files, but haven't read any of his other series. My worry was that while I like the Dresden Files, it skirts a fine line between smart and fun trope-y and cringey trope-y and I wasn't sure how things would pan out in another series. ESPECIALLY something that is describing itself as steampunk and seemingly jumping on a bandwagon. And one of the main characters is called Grimm? Really?

But my worries were unfounded, because I like the book a good deal. It's got me to laugh out loud a few times and I think it has a good pace. I don't really understand calling it steampunk despite the cover - airships and goggles seems to be the extent of what is in this that gets called "steampunk" elsewhere. From where I am in the book I'd say there's more magic than anything else.

I'm a fan of settings that seem to parralel RPGs, and his new setting has a good amount of interesting history, races, "classes", and characters. So if you like that you'll like this. I recommend it.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Decided to read Guy Gavriel Kay's The Lions of Al-Rassan.

Still early on but enjoying it. I like the quick pace, but holy cow does the author enjoy using commas everywhere.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member

Finished Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson
Overall, I enjoyed the book and its uncommonly pessimistic view on futurology and space colonization.

But man, the last section nearly ruins everything, devolving into a preachy, tedious mess, transferring full narrative perspective to the book's worst character. Freya is an uncompelling, vapid shell of a character, and the unearned importance the plot repeatedly places upon her is nonsensical.

Robinson's Mars Trilogy has been on my to-read list for a while now, but Aurora has somewhat turned me off that investment.

woodland

Just finished Goldenhand by Garth Nix and the new Magnus Chase. It feels goofy talking to my friends about it cause I'm 23, but considering Percy Jackson came out when I was in HS and was amazing, the new Magnus Chase ending
where they're going to introduce him to Percy
was amazing.

Also, Goldenhand was fantastic - it's probably gonna be one of my top books this year. The Old Kingdom world is one of my favorite and the magic system is so cool. It's such a shame he writes slowly, as Nix could explore so much more in this world and he probably won't go back to Lirael or Sabriel after this :(

kswiston

I finished Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb today. People get mad at GRRM for dumping on their favourites, but Hobb makes him look like an amateur...

Just finished Goldenhand by Garth Nix and the new Magnus Chase. It feels goofy talking to my friends about it cause I'm 23, but considering Percy Jackson came out when I was in HS and was amazing, the new Magnus Chase ending
where they're going to introduce him to Percy
was amazing.

Also, Goldenhand was fantastic - it's probably gonna be one of my top books this year. The Old Kingdom world is one of my favorite and the magic system is so cool. It's such a shame he writes slowly, as Nix could explore so much more in this world and he probably won't go back to Lirael or Sabriel after this :(

I loved the original trilogy from Nix, but I'd heard book 4 was a bit of a step down. However, seeing Goldenhand out I put both 4 and 5 back on my wish list.

dakini

Currently listening to Resurrection by Leo Tolstoy on audiobook and WOW this is just as great as War & Peace and Anna Karenina.

Killua

I'm currently listening to Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Jim Dale) and World War Z (Complete Edition)

61clY6n-0UL._SL300_.jpg

51wKdsy23VL._SL300_.jpg

I'm really loving both so far.

I've never been able to have a good enough attention span to sit down and read very many books, but Audible has been a great help in letting me experience a lot of books while driving, cooking, cleaning, mowing lawns, etc.

Mumei

I finished Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb today. People get mad at GRRM for dumping on their favourites, but Hobb makes him look like an amateur...

Embrace the emotionally abusive relationship. ;)

I was looking through the Farseer books earlier today, and it's actually really striking how many elements are foreshadowed. I think I'll follow mu cephei's lead and reread the series before the next book comes out in May (ughhhh).

about 50 pages into this:

RabbitRunbookcover.jpg

havent made up my mind yet. i like the insights into how rabbit is feeling and so on, but im not convinced there are any good guys in the book.

TheXbox

3/4 through The Book of the New Sun. One of the best science fiction novels I've read in years, and I think it's a shame that they sell it as two separate books on Amazon (Shadow and Claw + Sword and Citadel). It's like taking Dune and selling it as two products split at the halfway point between Part 1 and Part 2. This is one damn book. It should not cost $20.

BumRush

About a quarter of the way through Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution by Neil deGrasse Tyson and it's phenomenal. As a kid I brushed off sciences as a means to graduate and get a job but in my adult life I've found myself incredibly interested.

Cerity

Finished this. Not sure if I sure if I liked the overall tone of the novel, a bit too dark comedically. It explores the mentality of that 'little girl covered in blood by the swings' image a bit too much.

Also finished up The Man Who Spoke Snakish by Andrus Kivirähk, I have to say the only drawback for me is the obviously spotty translation at parts.

Moving onto No One Writes Back by Jang Eun-Jin now.

DemWalls

I've just started Joe Abercrombie's The Blade Itself. I've heard mixed things on him as an author, but its pretty good so far.

Well, of course there are dissenting opinions, but I think he's generally considered pretty good (and I agree).

sasliquid

Finished Iain M Banks' Look to Windward

Just starting the fifth Wheel of Time book, The Fires of Heaven. Does Matt ever stop being annoying?

kswiston

I started The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho today. It's a short book so I will probably finish tomorrow. It's interesting so far.

About a quarter of the way through Origins: Fourteen Billion Years of Cosmic Evolution by Neil deGrasse Tyson and it's phenomenal. As a kid I brushed off sciences as a means to graduate and get a job but in my adult life I've found myself incredibly interested.

You should read A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson if you haven't done so already.

Sean C

Three-Body_zpsejs9sjxu.jpg

The Three-Body Problem is a tremendously imaginative work of science fiction, one that recalls the classic work of Jules Verne in its attention to detail (as far as I can discern, anyway; it's possible that someone with more background in theoretical physics would say this is all gobbledygook, but it feels real). Worldbuilding is seldom this convincing. Keeping it from obtaining the highest possible grade is that, while Liu clearly has enormous knowledge of physics and the imagination to turn this into a very intricate storyline, as a writer his characters generally feel fairly rote. They serve their purpose well enough, but I wouldn't call any of them truly memorable. Dialogue, at times, is also very artificial. What will stick in the reader's memory is the set-pieces, and the scope of Liu's imagination.

Duarte_zpsigijfrzn.jpg

Camilo José Cela's 1942 novel The Family of Pascual Duarte has often been called a Spanish-language counterpart to The Outsider, the novel by fellow future Nobel Laureate Albert Camus published the same year, in its existentialist depiction of a life that is nasty, brutish and (comparatively) short. This would surely have been quite a shock to most readers' systems on its release, with its unsentimental and gloomy depiction of its protagonist's life and the frequent bursts of violent behaviour either by him or directed at him (the first chapter concludes with
him, somewhat on the spur of the moment, killing his dog
). Cela manages some interesting turns of phrase here, but once its transgressive elements become rather familiar, it's not got all that much to offer beyond surface charms -- other than, perhaps, a reminder of how grim peasant life could be even in the late 19th century. There are some interesting structural decisions, from its semi-intricate framing device to the conceit of opening with
Duarte awaiting execution for murder, but for a crime that the main narrative never details (its focus is elsewhere)

And that's Nobel Laureate #72 for me. 40 (soon to be 41) to go!

JonnyKong

I finished this today,

xVmRZPH.jpg

Overall I would give it 7/10.

It was an entertaining read, and I really like her writing style, I just felt like the story didn't hold any surprises or stand out moments, and the ending was a little predictable. There is one scene involving faeces which I'll never forget though.

Next up I'm reading that Gillian Anderson book, I think it's called A Vision of Fire?

Thanks to Mumei, i started reading a book i already had, but like many, hadn't yet started and it's very promising:

It's look to be an unique peek, for western audience, into Sunni Islam tradition, the "backbone of the sunni muslim world" as the author put it. The author is both a practicing muslim and an accomplished scholar both in the traditional muslim sense and the western modern sense. If you're interested to learn about the competing struggle for the legacy of islamic religious authority it's seems to be a great book. It's also a great look into the astonishing science of hadith, or narrations authentifications. As a student of islamic sciences, it's great and i feel that it's very accessible.

I also been delving a lot into this book, as a statistical source is pretty great and the introduction as a critics of both liberal and conservative perspective about the muslim world is very interesting, and the author don't try to shy away results that would be uncomfortable for liberal or conservative about the muslim world on issues like violence or the role of religion in politics:

And i also started again this great book from the argentinian Jorge Luis Borges, amazing shorts novels with high philosophical (and funny) elements:

Book of Sands in English.

Burger

I have the Fifth Season waiting on my Kindle now! I don't know anything about it. What did you like about it?

Fascinating characters, story, world. Completely different from most fantasy. The author does something very clever that I've not experienced before. Anything more descriptive would spoil it.

Woorloog

Banned
Yes, IMO, Rand too, eventually, but Perrin just gets worse and worse. I wanted him to get killed from
book 3 until the end.

Perrin has some really awesome moments. Perhaps some of the very best in the series even.
I do kinda like Perrin as a character, patience and consideration being traits i value. But man, the events and people he's involved with... ugh.

EDIT Mat gets better at some point, and becomes really, really good, for most part.

Sparse

Finished Slaughterhouse 5. I can see why it's a classic.

I was planning to read Shock of the Fall next, but I'm missing physical books... so it'll be The Handmaid's Tale instead.

elhav

After reading a bit of 1984, I have to say I really like it. It feels well written, and I'm quite curious where the story will go.

There is a certain part at the beginning where
the people in the office are shouting B.B(Big brother) over and over, and it reminded me of my country's prime minister, Bibi Netanyahu. When I got to this part I was all "Shit. If Bibi grows a moustache, I'm out of this country. Preferably Australia or something like that."

I'm about halfway through The Face of Another by Kobo Abe. It's my second book by him and I'm still as transfixed and enamored by his writing and understanding of solitude and human physicality as ever.

Reading Battle Royale Slam Book (collection of essays about Battle Royale), and while I enjoy getting more context about BR (such as the importance of pro wrestling in post-WW2 Japan and how it led to a type of wrestling match being the novel's namesake) I feel that it's a bit of a rough text to understand and very little in the essays felt memorable.

About halfway, and A Game of Thrones is next!

Mumei

18406423.jpg

Let's. And preferably with the people responsible — either directly or through indifference — for any of the abuse that goes on inside while it burns. At least I know I haven't lost my capacity to be shocked.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Some interesting quotes from Kierkegaard's (Vigilius Haufniensis') On the Concept of Anxiety (1844)
9d13f867ebd449be58d5f1b0d59f49bfeabc601fd32cfc00df19f77b.jpeg

In one of Grimm's Fairy Tales there is the story of a youth who went
out in search of adventures for the sake of learning what it is to fear
or be in dread. We will let that adventurer go his way without
troubling ourselves to learn whether in the course of it he encountered
the dreadful. On the other hand I would say that learning to know
dread is an adventure which every man has to affront if he would not
go to perdition either by not having known dread or by sinking under
it. He therefore who has learned rightly to be in dread has learned the
most important thing.

Note that for Kierkegaard "dread" is the possibility of freedom, and one of the determining conditions of the human mode of existence.

Sympathy one must have; but this sympathy is genuine only when one knows oneself deeply and knows that what has happened to one man may happen to all. Only thus can one be of
some utility to oneself and to others. The physician in an insane asylum
who is foolish enough to believe that he is wise for all eternity and that his
bit of reason is insured against all injury in life, is indeed in a certain sense
wiser than the crazy patients, but at the same time he is
more foolish, and he surely will not heal many.

A remarkably humanistic approach, again probably connected to Kierkegaard's refusal of any sort of difference in quality between man and mankind. The difference between men and between man and mankind is strictly quantitative for Kierkegaard, and one of the key elements in his explanation of "hereditary sin".

Like most philosophy from the first half of the 19th century, perhaps the biggest "weakness" (or the least original parts of his book) is the fundamental entrenchment within the Hegelian mode of thinking (thesis, antithesis, synthesis), and the need to define every concept under discussion by its opposition, and finding the redeeming concept to transcend said oppositions. It makes everything feel very schematic and essentiallistic (which is a totally anachronistic and unfair criticism of something written in 1844 but whatever). This is, as you can imagine, particularly aggravating whenever Kierkegaard writes about gender differences.

Nevertheless, reading Kierkegaard is always an interesting experience. Highly recommended.

sasliquid

Eh I don't see Rand as annoying, at least he has conflicting. Where I am Matt is just really lucky and doesn't do anything.

Going through it slow tho.

brawly

Finished Hyperion. Not a big of the first or third part of the book. The first, fifth and sixth personal stories basically. I'll probably read the sequel though, especially if it's set more in the here and now (someone answer this, please?).

Now I jumped into Red Rising: Golden Son. I missed this world so much and want to reread the first one already.

Anyone read The Underground Railroad?

I have it but I'm struggling to get properly started with it for some reason.

Oh... And I'm craving another Cormac McCarthy book after The Road and No Country.

A lot of his stuff seems quite 'tough' to read. I have Child of God downloaded though, but is that the next step up in terms of his writing style?

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I'm finishing up "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl."

Really sad and powerful stuff. To know how much a human being can suffer in a lifetime.

sadblob

Finished Hyperion. Not a big of the first or third part of the book. The first, fifth and sixth personal stories basically. I'll probably read the sequel though, especially if it's set more in the here and now (someone answer this, please?).

Indeed, it continues where the first ended, in the "present".

hampig

Ring
220px-Ring_1st_American_Edition.jpg

I started reading it because Rings was supposed to come out this month. It was delayed until early next year, but I'm not too disappointed. Ring is probably way better than Rings ever had any hope to be.

I'm about 3/5ths of the way done with the book, and it's been straight mystery with a bit of the supernatural hinted at. Not what I expected for sure, but it's actually been a really great read. I've heard that things take a twist at the end toward horror, and that the sequels are more sci-fi than anything, but I'm really excited to continue.

Well, if there is any silver lining to being without power for a couple of days, it's that I made some decent progress on Stone of Farewell. Over halfway now.

Mumei

I'm finishing up "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl."

Really sad and powerful stuff. To know how much a human being can suffer in a lifetime.

That book and this are two books from the period that I wanted to read after reading Manisha Sinha's The Slave's Cause: A History of Abolition.

kswiston

I finished the Alchemist on Saturday. It was a decent book, but sort of cheesy.

I am now about a third of the way through City of Blades by Robert Bennett Jackson. So far, it's as good as the first book. If you haven't read City of Stairs yet, and want a fantasy novel that isn't set in an analogue of Medieval Europe, give it a try.

I've been slowly moving through my big ol copy of the complete works of HP Lovecraft. Some of the short stories have been slogs, but a lot of them are a lot of fun. Even if his language can be a bit too flowery, he's great at providing atmosphere, and some of the stories feel like a pulpier Poe. And then you get to something like Dagon and you marvel at the dude's imagination. I'm looking forward to his more well known stories but those are all many hundreds of pages in. I've been skipping a few stories here and there that seem to ere on the sloggier side of things, but I'm tempted to just jump all the way to At the Mountains of Madness or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom