• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your "boomer" thoughts that just haven't survived the modern era

jigglet

Banned
Mine: I fucking love snaking in Mario Kart. I thought it was a really fun mechanic with a moderately high skill ceiling, ala bunny hopping in FPS games. I loved the tactical nature of it, being able to use it as a way to pivot off really tight turns. However snaking is just a PITA when it comes to online mulitplayer so I totally get why it had to go. I play Mario Kart as a solo game; campaign, against CPU etc so it suits me but not the broader public. You can't design a multiplayer game these days that totally ignores online. So as much as I hated seeing it go, I understand it.

What are your boomer thoughts that just haven't survived the modern era?

Last edited:

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
The Office Reaction GIF

Tschumi

I am not a baby boomer. That would mean i was born in the 1950s. Anyway, for myself... I thought operation flashpoint was a better realistic shooter than cs. I preferred unreal tournament to quake. I preferred Wolfenstein to Doom... and rise of the triad to either... I prefer thief 3 to 1 or 2... i liked deus ex invisible war.. I preferred MGS 2 to splinter cell... I was fucking supreme at ssx3... I would rather play vanilla wow than went other wow.. uhh can't think of much else..

DZ_b_EZ

"This Video Game Land! Physical copies have been here...and they gon' ALLLWAYS BE HERE!!!"

*Begins to laugh as he burns alive*

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
By that strict definition, I'm a millennial too. However, I define "boomer" as anyone that didn't play Fortnite as their literal first game.
man... I am 1989 and my first game was Another World.
But imagine kids today - the only experience they know is fortnite, fnaf and gamepass. Gaming WILL DIE as we know it...

NXGamer

Sorry OP, you and I bet almost 99% of members here are not boomers. I am old and even I just miss the period that "baby boomers" came from. The mid 50s to mid 60s, most are "millennials" here or I think Gen X, Z. All these crap labels are pointless though and the header made no sense.

For me, that gaming would remain physical and passionate about its aims with teams being funded to make games they love.

Not become the investment, capital driven, step through to other things with an increasing loss of focus on what games are and not what they can be used for.

NXGamer

OP doesn't think there are lots of members who are literally in their 70's.

The term boomer is also just used to refer to feeling or appearing old or out of touch
But the term is being mis-used then, and I am not a fan of it anyway. Boomer means a child of that era, such as a 60s or 70s child. You cannot say that when you were born in the 80s or 90s.

Again, I am old so the term has relevance beyond what it may now be used as a catch-all term for older (what ever constitutes old, which again will likely be different for all).

Neff

Manual saves are good
Limited saves are good
Lives are good
Having to do part of a level again because you fucked up is, in a way, good
Handholding is bad
Free to play is bad
Microtransactions and the entire business model and game design mandate propping it up are fucking awful

NXGamer

I assume english isn't your first language. Speaking figuratively or sarcastically is a huge part of the language. Whenever you see quotes it means it's not literal.

E.g. I have a "crazy" idea.
No, I am and you are using it wrong. You cannot absorb a defined name for a period into a pseudonym or figurative possessive. The term "crazy" as a figurative quote is again subjective so can be used, but saying "boomer" which has a defined period is incorrect or confusing.

jigglet

Banned
No, I am and you are using it wrong. You cannot absorb a defined name for a period into a pseudonym or figurative possessive. The term "crazy" as a figurative quote is again subjective so can be used, but saying "boomer" which has a defined period is incorrect or confusing.

What could putting "boomer" in quotes possibly have meant, then? I'd like to hear some plausible theories on what else I could have been trying to say.

Last edited:

recursive

What could putting "boomer" in quotes possibly have meant, then? I'd like to hear some plausible theories on what else I could have been trying to say.
I think what he is saying is boomer is already a defined term and the use of quotes to overload the definition doesn't work.

Sort of nitpicky considering I am sure your intentions were to connect to the ok boomer internet slang.

NXGamer

That was my point of asking, you can quote something, such as collective term of people like this, i.e. If we listen to "experts" then they say..... It could be a figurative or literal term such as, I was literally "wading" through mud as a description of a metaphor made reality. It can even be a sarcastic quote such as, You really bring the "laughter" don't you!

This is why the English language is classed as so difficult, because it has so many rules and defined descriptions, re-use of the same word, sarcasm etc etc. It is like the use of adjectives and the possessive change or enhance nouns It can all get "semantical", by definition, and like almost everything, stems from Latin anyway.

Last edited:

NXGamer

I think what he is saying is boomer is already a defined term and the use of quotes to overload the definition doesn't work.

Sort of nitpicky considering I am sure your intentions were to connect to the ok boomer internet slang.
Agreed, I was not trying to be nitpicky, and was not my intention. Ignore me OP, and continue on.

I liked the thread idea, if that makes you "happy" ;-) (y)

Top Bottom