• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your "boomer" thoughts that just haven't survived the modern era

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
But I just can't grasp the youts these days. I had to use a paper map, use a pay phone, use a card catalog, not use calculators (let alone allowed to use a phone or tablet in school). We had to WORK to survive, and succeed. Just seems too easy now.

Aion002

I don't know if this fits:

On the ps1 a friend told me that Sega is making online play possible, so if I get a Dreamcast we will be able to play together online... I told him : Ehhh... We can just play split screen.

A few years later I got a network adaptor for the ps2 and played RE Outbreak online:

John Locke Lost Show GIF

Another one: Paid early access to a incomplete game? That's dumb... No way people are that stupid, this approach is dead on the water.

Amanda Peet Comedy GIF by Brockmire

Last edited:

Fatbody

I could never accept paying for multiplayer shooter maps when before they were free. And I also couldn’t accept multiplayer shooters that locked guns behind progression systems when before they were all available from the game start menu like in Tom Clancy or placed somewhere in the map like Halo. These thoughts didn’t survive long back when all that shit started, let alone now.

nkarafo

Mobile gaming was, is and will always be shit.

Phones portable gaming forever. Not financially, obviously. Only quality wise.

The laggy and imprecise touch screen interface, the ftp schemes, the microtransactions, the "newgrounds flash" quality games, the social media interactions, the notifications, the flashy dopamine infusion screens.... All horrid and awful. Worst state portable gaming has ever been, comparable with the Atari 2600 shovelware killing console gaming in America.

And no, the 4 good games that exist in the entire mobile industry are not enough to save this mess

Petopia

Banned
But the term is being mis-used then, and I am not a fan of it anyway. Boomer means a child of that era, such as a 60s or 70s child. You cannot say that when you were born in the 80s or 90s.

Again, I am old so the term has relevance beyond what it may now be used as a catch-all term for older (what ever constitutes old, which again will likely be different for all).
hey man gotta with the times when it comes to zoomer slang like using the word slaps vs another such word bad in the day.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Mobile gaming was, is and will always be shit.

Phones portable gaming forever. Not financially, obviously. Only quality wise.

The laggy and imprecise touch screen interface, the ftp schemes, the microtransactions, the "newgrounds flash" quality games, the social media interactions, the notifications, the flashy dopamine infusion screens.... All horrid and awful. Worst state portable gaming has ever been, comparable with the Atari 2600 shovelware killing console gaming in America.

And no, the 4 good games that exist in the entire mobile industry are not enough to save this mess
Slay the spire

Might as well call it the samsung galaxy slay the spire phone

That’s all i need

Stop scrolling buy it

Last edited:
Games shouldn't be catering to confused children who think men can become women or vice-verse..ever, at all. They certainly shouldn't be attempting to bully said confused, impressionable children into this thought pattern by featuring quest lines or NPCs that push this nonsense (I'm looking at you, Bioware). They also shouldn't be vastly over-representing the LGB community in gaming. This focus on SJW-antics has destroyed many games already (cough, *TLOU2*, cough - also, see every recent Bioware game, Hogwarts Legacy, etc) and will continue to push the gaming industry further and further into the trash heap if we don't stop it, pronto. This fight is a GOOD fight to have, and we need to stop being afraid to fight it.

Ballthyrm

Being brought up with dial-up , I believe in a free and unregulated internet.
At least that The truth will set you free.

MScarpa

The fact that young kids use "Boomer" incorrectly always makes me laugh. If you're going to make fun of someone, atleast do it correctly

lachesis

I thought a game will continue to be, and should/must be "completed" before going gold by default - otherwise you are an incompetent developer.

Kimahri

Banned
Putting dumb ass labels on huge groups of people just because they have ONE thing in common.

Didn't survive well. These days it's label yourself or die.

fart town usa

Gold Member
  • Boomer Birth Years: 1946 to 1964
WE are mostly millenials.
Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sorry dude, this is the most boomer comment in the thread.

OT: I think the most boomer thing I ever thought when it came to gaming was back when the N64 was set to be released.

"Who cares about PlayStation? Games having to load is dumb and ruins the game, Nintendo will always have better games..."

As soon as I got a PSX I was like, "WTF was I thinking?" lol.

daffyduck

By that strict definition, I'm a millennial too. However, I define "boomer" as anyone that didn't play Fortnite as their literal first game.

You mean Fartnite.

Ian Mckellen Eww GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

But the term is being mis-used then, and I am not a fan of it anyway. Boomer means a child of that era, such as a 60s or 70s child. You cannot say that when you were born in the 80s or 90s.

Again, I am old so the term has relevance beyond what it may now be used as a catch-all term for older (what ever constitutes old, which again will likely be different for all).

Boomer is a child of the 40s-50s. ie. Baby Boom after WW2. Probably not too many of those that care for video games, let alone participate on a gaming forum.

These terms have varying definitions, but "Zoomers" seem to like using it as a pejorative against people it doesn't even come close to describing.

NickFire

You mean Fartnite.

Ian Mckellen Eww GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Boomer is a child of the 40s-50s. ie. Baby Boom after WW2. Probably not too many of those that care for video games, let alone participate on a gaming forum.

These terms have varying definitions, but "Zoomers" seem to like using it as a pejorative against people it doesn't even come close to describing.
No no no.

Boomer means "Can I buy you a drink."

Non-boomer is "Can you buy me a drink."

CeeJay

Admiring the sexy girls in games and thinking how much better they would get in the future along with the advances in graphics.

Fahdis

Over My Head Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Sorry dude, this is the most boomer comment in the thread.

OT: I think the most boomer thing I ever thought when it came to gaming was back when the N64 was set to be released.

"Who cares about PlayStation? Games having to load is dumb and ruins the game, Nintendo will always have better games..."

As soon as I got a PSX I was like, "WTF was I thinking?" lol.

You took the sarcasm seriously sir. 😇

Jermare

Neo Member
I like midi music (or whatever the mechanism was for making N64 music). There's nothing more nostalgic than that sound.

Fahdis

Well done. Turns out that I'm the boomer, lol.
Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

It's ok, there's a huge boomer in me that desires to be rich and secure like them. But my millenial reality taught me love and support on this forum while I sip on a mug of Tang will get me through. WAGMI. Hope you're well!

Jigsaah

Gold Member
man im a milennial? Well why don't i just end it all right now. I'm 40 now. Sure all those times they were talking about all the other idiots, not me.

Last edited:

Fitzchiv

Digital only won't catch on.
Ouya will be amazing (I have a founders edition..)
I wouldn't get "too old" for some games, but sadly I'm firmly in the second half of my 30's there are less and less genres and titles I genuinely like. That might not be "boomer' perspective and more reflective of a general dumbing down of the industry. I tried the remaster of Myst a few days ago and was on YouTube looking at walkthroughs within 30 min.

zcaa0g

Banned
I was probably among the Top 500 UT players in EU in the early 2000s and I had the opinion that modern games FPS are too slow and take no skill, until I tried overwatch and got my ass kicked by kids in ranked.

Yeah, but put those punks on instagib deathmatch on Morpheus and show them what REAL deathmatch is. Capitalizing "real" makes it so! 😀

Top Bottom