• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your "boomer" thoughts that just haven't survived the modern era

K2D

Banned
Do we really have perpetuate divisive, exclusatory words like this? Boomer, zoomer.. - the tables will turn against your favor soon enough. Better to make this place a better one for the future.

You're not even in an argument trying to "win" against someone. People can be so ignorantly and needlessly inflammatory sometimes..

I'm so tired of degeneracy

Ceadeus

Gold Member
When I was your age I had 3 cars, two houses and 7 kids. It cost $75
Hi Papa

Star Wars Helmet GIF by Disney+

But the term is being mis-used then, and I am not a fan of it anyway. Boomer means a child of that era, such as a 60s or 70s child. You cannot say that when you were born in the 80s or 90s.

Again, I am old so the term has relevance beyond what it may now be used as a catch-all term for older (what ever constitutes old, which again will likely be different for all).
you don't need to keep constantly re-explaining the literal meaning, it's known by most if not all.

And most people can infer from context whether a discussion about various generations as defined by year of birth is taking place or not.

drganon

Bots in fps games so you could play multiplayer modes by yourself have gone the way of the dodo. It's a shame since I enjoyed that sort of thing.

Ellery

Tank control and fixed camera angles are great and add another layer of atmosphere to a game.

It is okay to release a game on time without technical bugs or big issues that don't need 30GB day 0 patches.

No you don't need to destroy studios and have them work on copycat moneygrabbing GAAS games that will probably fail.

Using creativity to create levels instead of brute forcing throwing money at things to make big bland open worlds that are as much good level design as a flat plain is.

Unlocking additional content with skill and sweat instead of credit card.

So much more, but my boomer level is increasing exponentially with each sentence I write and my backpain is already high enough for today.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
As a naive kid, I used to think that playing games for a living was the coolest thing.

A few years later, I thought it was awful to have to play a bunch of games that you may not even interested in non-stop to churn out a review, and that being a games journalist could only be a stopgap in whatever career you choose.

If you told me we’d get to the point where gaming journos are just questionable internet celebrities paid good money to shill for the latest shiny western game and that barely pubescent people would make careers and money out of Let’s Plays and “esports”… I can‘t even imagine how I’d have reacted.

I’m also ashamed to admit that I used to think game makers had loyalty and morals. Then I witnessed brands that made the fortunes of specific gaming platforms and brands go multiplat without batting an eye.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Tank controls, fixed cameras and pre rendered backgrounds were awesome. Tank controls were easy as hell to use.

ADHD kids from the PS2 era that started with RE4 know jack shit.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I don't think a multiplayer game can even be considered passable if it doesn't have a server browser and custom servers. I also still think microtransactions only belong in free to play games.
Looks like I've been left behind in 2011.

Catphish

1. Games should sell in a completed state.
2. Off-line modes in sports games (franchise) are just as important as online modes.
3. We should be in the golden age of space combat games. Where the fuck are they?
4. Turn-based, party-based, D&D-style RPGs are fun. Where the fuck are they?
5. Digital is nice, but physical media is preferred.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

In fact, most of the "boomers" I know look at video games as a child's activity.
You have to remind that generation that Elvis, The Beatles, and plenty of musicians that they grew up or enjoyed listening to were viewed negatively. The rock music of their era is a good comparison to the video games of today. I disagree with the “Puritan Saint” who views video games as a downward spiral or an activity to somehow neglect other responsibilities. The same generation watches sports, binge watches TV, they play card games on their cell phones, and other different leisure activities that take time to consume. They will criticize anyone who comes close to making video games a priority. I’ve read many well known game designers describe gaming in fascinating ways and they always say video games are for everyone.

Regarding the OP. My views are a mix bag. While I want narrative games that take me on grand adventures. I still prefer the many different quality of life improvements video games receive. I do see a lot of modern games, especially open world games, fall into the same predictable pattern where all the different lines of dialogue feel the same. A lot of games aren’t a product of a rich intelligent frame of mind, but a copy of the last video game to come out. Dying Light 2 feels like someone binge watched The Walking Dead and then applied every single trope to an open world game. Games can’t just look good to be considered a classic. There has to be a good balance of everything to make it really stand out.

IDk, I was born in 77’ which makes me Gen X. But if we’re talking about the same generation that introduced cocaine, heroin, crack rock, meth, LSD and the recreational use of weed and also introduced psychedelic rock, stoner rock, progrock, rap, hip hop unto the world oh and before I forget VIDEO GAMES. I pat my dad on the back and thank him every day.

That’s right Gen Y, your grandparents were a bunch of fucking junkies lol

A.Romero

man... I am 1989 and my first game was Another World.
But imagine kids today - the only experience they know is fortnite, fnaf and gamepass. Gaming WILL DIE as we know it...

Gaming in the sense of how it was in the 80's has died already and it's not a bad thing. It's not that it wasn't good back then but today it's so much better. We have more options than ever.

My boomer thought was streaming cannot replace local but after playing with gamepass for a while I think we are almost at the point where it will be viable and, therefore, it will happen. Local gaming will still be a thing for enthusiasts like us but the market at large will just jump over.

sn0man

That all gamers were united against online requirements for gaming experiences. That anyone defending it had to just be astroturfing and not another genuine gaming fan.

If I’m advocating against a game having online saves or online check-ins or day 1 patches to access single player; that it doesn’t mean I’m against online.

Against online? Bitch please. I was playing Doom LAN’d together in the 1990s. I get all my PC games from steam. Online can be great. Doesn’t mean we should roll over and defend stupid online-requirements for single player experiences (e.g., COD, GT7, MK on PS5).

kyussman

Oh god,where do I start....pretty much everything I believe in is problematic these days,lol.....the lucky thing is it's mostly problematic to mentally ill american teenagers so I don't really give two fucks what they think.
The best thing about being middle aged is knowing yourself inside out and not having to deal with that awful feeling of needing to fit in that comes with being young.....it's fucking great tbh.

Old Retro

Video games are art.

I don't care about "frames per second" either. Never bothered me, especially nowadays. This idea of playing a game not running at 60fps will make your eyes bleed is stupid.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
IDk, I was born in 77’ which makes me Gen X. But if we’re talking about the same generation that introduced cocaine, heroin, crack rock, meth, LSD and the recreational use of weed and also introduced psychedelic rock, stoner rock, progrock, rap, hip hop unto the world oh and before I forget VIDEO GAMES. I pat my dad on the back and thank him every day.

That’s right Gen Y, your grandparents were a bunch of fucking junkies lol
Denzel Washington Movie GIF

Silvawuff

Been playing since like, C64. I think gaming is better than its ever been. Gaming media focusing on drama/industry bullshit shouldn't be allowed to have a voice louder than it does when representing the hobby.

Fare thee well

Neophyte
The 'pc is dead movement' that started to get pushed in 2005-2015ish by the shift with MS developing a console and websites like IGN and Gamespot only covering ports to pc. I thought my favorite platform that I grew up with was fucked. To my joy, people didn't budge an inch, and things like Steam (whether you love or hate it) cemented its continued existence. While we do have this obnoxious chip shortage, I now enjoy so many games that I would have dreamed to have as a kid.

I'm very happy I was wrong.

Last edited:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
"Gaming journalism should be about games."

Or at least, some would like this standpoint not to survive. Luckily, there are still plenty of people who appreciate it. I'll call it endangered but not dead.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Sorry OP, you and I bet almost 99% of members here are not boomers. I am old and even I just miss the period that "baby boomers" came from. The mid 50s to mid 60s, most are "millennials" here or I think Gen X, Z. All these crap labels are pointless though and the header made no sense.

For me, that gaming would remain physical and passionate about its aims with teams being funded to make games they love.

Not become the investment, capital driven, step through to other things with an increasing loss of focus on what games are and not what they can be used for.
Yeah, For some reason the internet seems to think "boomers" are guys in there 30s.

Top Bottom