• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your favorite N64 games that aren't available on VC?

RyType

How weird, I always thought Pilotwings 64 was already on the VC. Thats somewhat depressing. :/

I'd Love to have both of the Goemon mystical Ninja games and both of the Bomberman 64 games, I never got the chance to play Second attack and I loved the first. Highly unlikely any of them will happen since Konami are boring....

Celine

Mortal Kombat 4

I was quite impressed with how well this turned out when put up against the arcade game. I played the shit out of this and would love to see this appear on VC one day. Good times!
Eurocom did a good job, MK4 is one of the rare N64 games that run at 60 fps.

maxcriden

Rayman 2: 3D platform game, more linear than Mario 64 or Banjo games but it's up there in quality.

Rocket: First sucker Punch platform game and a great one to boot. What set it apart from the rest of the 3D platform game of the era is the physics puzzles.
Camera is problematic but the whole game is still worth to be played.

SSSV: It's a 3D action puzzle game based on the concept of hijacking robotic animals all with different skills to achieve different goals.
It's a difficult game to categorize due to sheer originality.

Thanks for the info on all of these, Celine!

I really like platforming linearity in my 3D platformers so I like the sound of that in Rayman 2. And, it's actually been Rocket that's been primarily piquing my interest in getting an N64 lately. I remember reading about it and other offbeat games like Tonic Trouble discussed below and like Iggy's Wrecking Balls as a kid but don't think I played many of those more unusual N64 games.

Any other platformers you recommend?

I vaguely recall SSSV, I think I rented it but don't remember it too well and didn't play it very much I don't think, and I'm not sure how much of a chance I gave it as a kid.

Do you own a Dreamcast?

If you do, Rayman 2 is infinitely better there. It's locked at 60fps and is gorgeous.

Rayman 2 on the N64 is gorgeous as well, especially considering the system's hardware limitations but it's perfection on the Dreamcast.

Thanke for the info! Well, not only do I not own a Dreamcast, but funnily enough I don't know if I've ever played on one. Maybe a store kiosk. Can't recall. I never owned a Sega system bd i don't know if I had any friends who did, except a vague recollection of a childhood friend playing Sonic on Game Gear.

How does the PS2 Rayman 2 stack up? I think it's called Revolution.

Oh, you know, I did try Rayman 2 before, in the form of Rayman 3D, but I don't think that's a well liked port and I couldn't get into it at all.

Less sure-fire (mixed reviews), but you might end up liking it: Tonic Trouble.

250px-Tonic_Trouble_US_Cover_N64.png

Did you play and enjoy it? I vaguely remember seeing it in UK gaming mags I used to get when Wed go from my hometown of Buffalo up to Toronto on occasion. I don't think I played it but... maybe I rented it at some point. I remember those mags had their own flair to them very differently from my EGM and other US mag mainstays. I vaguely can recall reading about Shadowgate, Castlevania and Forty Winks in an issue... as well as a story about controversy over a 2 year old being allowed to play GoldenEye.

I also remember renting Glover. Anyone here play that one?

Did you play and enjoy it? I vaguely remember seeing it in UK gaming mags I used to get when Wed go from my hometown of Buffalo up to Toronto on occasion. I don't think I played it but... maybe I rented it at some point. I remember those mags had their own flair to them very differently from my EGM and other US mag mainstays. I vaguely can recall reading about Shadowgate, Castlevania and Forty Winks in an issue... as well as a story about controversy over a 2 year old being allowed to play GoldenEye.

I also remember renting Glover. Anyone here play that one?

Yeah, I've played it. It's alright. I'd describe it as a poor-man's Rayman. It was used to test the 3D engine for Rayman 2, actually.

I'd say it's worth a go if you can get a cart for fairly cheap, about $10 or so. Especially if you end up liking Rayman 2.

maxcriden

Yeah, I've played it. It's alright. I'd describe it as a poor-man's Rayman. It was used to test the 3D engine for Rayman 2, actually.

I'd say it's worth a go if you can get a cart for fairly cheap, about $10 or so. Especially if you end up liking Rayman 2.

Neat, thanks for the info. I'll keep it in mind then!

Hilarion

I only read the first page, so sorry if someone mentioned this, but the N64 game I played most was actually Starcraft 64.

I'm sure someone will tell me that Starcraft on the PC was far superior, and in many ways it was. The resolution is lower and there's no voice acting, and some moves are missing because only three moves per character are allowed.

That said, all of the Starcraft and Brood War missions are present, two player split-screen is present, and you can select 18 units at once rather than 12. Also, you can only advance missions in story mode if you win without cheating, which forced me to actually get somewhat good to get through the single player.

There's a secret bonus mission if you beat all six campaigns of the single player and it's one of my proudest gaming moments that I got to and beat Resurrection IV. It meant I had to beat every single mission in Starcraft without cheat codes. Resurrection IV is a two-player co-op map which I absurdly beat playing with two N64 controllers by myself. (It isn't very difficult, especially if you've just beaten Omega with no cheat codes)

EDIT: checked the rest of the thread. Throw another vote in for Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon, although you're going to NEED the Controller Pak if you want to beat it.

Mischief Makers.
The unmodified version of Ocarina of Time. I miss the red blood, chant in Fire Temple, and the crescent moon motif on blocks and Mirror Shield.
Diddy Kong Racing.

EricB

The two Goemon games were great! I'd love to see those.

I second (6th?) this motion. The N64 era was a pretty weak time for Nintendo in my opinion so I don't miss much about it, but I adore Goemon and would love to have cheap, easy (and legal) access to as many of the games in the series as possible.

120v

I was so amazed with how good goeman was back in the day. Thought the transition to 3D would blow

Konami was pretty good about VC, surprised that one slipped through the cracks

maxcriden

Well, it sounds like the Goemon games are a crowd favorite for sure.

What's the reason the controller pak is needed for one of them?

Platy

Extreme G
Glover
Tony Hawk 1/2/3

and SPECIALY

San Francisco Rush 2

9W2O4SL.jpg

The AMOUNT OF TIME that I spend on this track is absolutly out of this world
2GlinDz.png

BD1

Banned
The AKI wrestling games. Who actually owns those games? I am pretty sure WWF owns all the wrestling trademarks these days...

Lebon14

Mischief Makers is by far the biggest exclusion to me. Awesome action/adventure with a lot of charm, creativity, amazing bosses. So much personality and lots of unique ideas. It's ripe for rediscovery and is my #1 wish for Wii U VC.

mischief-13.png

Shake shake!

Diddy Kong Racing comes to mind and since Rare games are excluded... huh... The Turok games. Even though we have a superior remaster on Steam and the 2nd installment is coming at some point. Then, there's Pokemon Snap! (might be out, but I don't remember reading anything about it), the Pokemon Stadium games... Tony Hawk Pro Skater games, then, of course, Goldeneye. NHL 99 (only sport game I remember really loving), etc.

Oh aand friggin Rush 2!

N64 Rayman 2 was awesome.

Just too much... just looking at the thread make me add games to my list!

-sdp

Anyone remember the rumors that we were going to get WWF No Mercy updated with (then) current WWE wrestlers? I wanted it to be true so badly. I'd buy a new AKI wrestling no matter what organization it was from.

I also vote for the N64 SW games, Shadows of the Empire, Ep:I Racer, EpI: Battle for Naboo. Rogue Squadron is already on Steam and SotE came out on PC so that could be released on Steam as well but the Ep:I games were exclusive, it'd be great if they ported them to PC.

And the Turok games, (2, 3, Rage Wars). The first one is already out on Steam and they're working on 2 but 3 and Rage Wars never came out and while they say dependinyg on sales I'm not too confident it'll happen but I'd love to.

Pokemon Stadium (1,2 and even JP1). The whole "but you can't transfer" is bogus because the games were tons of fun without ever transferring any Pokemon just from the rentals to use in their exclusive stuff and add the mini games and you have a solid game. If they really wanted to they could somehow allow you to transfer your Pokemon from Red/Blue/Yellow VC.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Shake! Shake!
Extreme g 1
Extreme g 2
Turok 1
Turok 2
Episode 1 racer
That starwars flying game
Turok rage wars
Golden eye
Diddy kang racing
Duke nukem 64
Doom 64
Quake 2
Killer instinct
All other rare games

I really miss Holy Magic Century (Quest 64) and Shadowgate 64.
both are true classics imo
Holy Magic gave the sense of "adventure" like no game before
JxEXRXJ.jpg

p5shcta.jpg

Oh gee hmmmmmm let me think here...oh I know...the ONE DAMN GAME I'VE BEEN WANTING FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pilotwings_64_box.jpg

Does ANYONE have a legit reason why this wasn't on the Wii or Wii U (yet)?!?!?!?!

wasn't there a rumour that they left it out of VC because of the twin towers in the game?(besides some emulation issues)
Maybe editing them out would be too much of a hassle

I mean:
twin.gif

Celine

I really miss Holy Magic Century (Quest 64) and Shadowgate 64.
both are true classics imo
Holy Magic gave the sense of "adventure" like no game before
I can't see how one can label Holy Magic Century as "a true classic" even if he love the game.
The game is too average to be really high regarded (from a critical point of view).
At the time the (relatively) big 3D world to explore (with frequent random battles) was Quest 64 best asset but even then Mystical Ninja was (is) a much better game even in that regard.

Shadowgate 64 is surely more interesting than Quest 64 (but nowhere near a classic), especially compared to the rest of the output on N64, so it might still be a worthy purchase.

maxcriden

Shake! Shake!
Extreme g 1
Extreme g 2
Turok 1
Turok 2
Episode 1 racer
That starwars flying game
Turok rage wars
Golden eye
Diddy kang racing
Duke nukem 64
Doom 64
Quake 2
Killer instinct
All other rare games

First mention of Shake! Shake! in here, what is that game?

sfried

Beetle Racing Adventure, due to obvious licensing reasons with Volkswagen, maybe EA too.

Unpredecented partnership.

GulAtiCa

Never going to happen... But: Doom 64, Vigilante 8, Hexen 64, Vigilante 8, Rush 1,2,3, Turok, Duke Nukem 64 would be the games I'd LOVE to see on VC.

Morts

Buck Bumble
Rayman 2

Though I didn't have a lot of N64 games that weren't from Nintendo or Rare, so a lot of the stuff in this thread would be new to me.

Is it true that Microsoft offered the entire back catalog of Rare games to Nintendo in exchange for the release of Goldeneye on Xbox 360?

I would like a VC copy of the N64 castlevania games.

No. The reason goldeneye couldn't be re-released was due to licensing issues with whoever currently owns the rights to the Bond franchise (I forget who that is right now. MGM?). The "remaster" was being made and targeted for release at around the same time one of the more recent films (Skyfall I think) and the film studio was not interested in a "competing" bond product, and were only interested in a game if it were to tie in with the film.

Or so I am led to believe by my "sources" ;p

Hero

Holy crap, this is one of the first times I did a "Ctrl + F" and expected to be disappointed but SO many people said Mischief Makers.

I love that game so much, discovered it via a random rental at Blockbuster. Glad I wound up buying it and still have the cartridge.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
First mention of Shake! Shake! in here, what is that game?

I would assume it's a cute way of referencing 2D action platformer Mischief Makers, where the primary objective is to shake everything. Marina, the game's main character often yells out "shake shake" when doing so.

From those that could actually be available (so basically not counting the Rare IPs and WipEout 64) I'd love to see Hybrid Heaven, Mischief Makers and both Goemon games that made it to the west.
Bangai-O would also be pretty sweet.

maxcriden

Buck Bumble
Rayman 2

Though I didn't have a lot of N64 games that weren't from Nintendo or Rare, so a lot of the stuff in this thread would be new to me.

Hmm, what's Buck Bumble like?

I would assume it's a cute way of referencing 2D action platformer Mischief Makers, where the primary objective is to shake everything. Marina, the game's main character often yells out "shake shake" when doing so.

Oh, gotcha, thanks. I was surprised there was an NA N64 game I hadn't at least heard of.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Thanks! What were your impressions of it?

To be fair, It's been almost two decades since I've played it and even then it was only something I rented a few times but I remember it being a charming little game. It wasn't nearly as good as Star Fox was but it certainly unique and fun, just nothing mindblowing.

It should be fairly inexpensive on the secondhand market these days so it might be worth checking.

Interestingly it has a little soccer mini-game that plays like a prototype version of Rocket League or Federation Force's Blast Ball.

maxcriden

To be fair, It's been almost two decades since I've played it and even then it was only something I rented a few times but I remember it being a charming little game. It wasn't nearly as good as Star Fox was but it certainly unique and fun, just nothing mindblowing.

It should be fairly inexpensive on the secondhand market these days so it might be worth checking.

Interestingly it has a little soccer mini-game that plays like a prototype version of Rocket League or Federation Force's Blast Ball.

Interesting, thank you. For some reason id always imagined from the box or promotional art that it was a 3D TPS type game. Unique and fun sounds well worth the price of admission, especially since it's not too pricy.

georly

11022_front.jpg

One of my favorite games on N64.

Mischief Makers is by far the biggest exclusion to me. Awesome action/adventure with a lot of charm, creativity, amazing bosses. So much personality and lots of unique ideas. It's ripe for rediscovery and is my #1 wish for Wii U VC.

mischief-13.png

Oh gee hmmmmmm let me think here...oh I know...the ONE DAMN GAME I'VE BEEN WANTING FOR THE PAST 10 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pilotwings_64_box.jpg

Does ANYONE have a legit reason why this wasn't on the Wii or Wii U (yet)?!?!?!?!

Yup yup yup and yup. I'd buy these 4 in a heartbeat. It's amazing we got pokemon snap but not these.

Tetrisphere and GoldenEye are two that immediately come to mind. These days however, I don't like playing the VC versions of games. I prefer the original console.

Top Bottom