• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your realistic guesses for 'launch window' games for NX by Nintendo?

Zelda: Beasts of no Nation
WiiU Ports (Smash and Splatoon)
Animal Crossing
Some freaky new game eshop
Mario Kart 9
Lazy third party stuff

Mario Maker NX. No back compatibility with wii u or 3ds. You will have to pay for it even if you bought it last time.

Nintendo, like war, never changes.

Booki

Launch
Zelda :BOTW
Pikmin 4
Mario Maker NX Edition
Smash Bros + all DLC
Spla2oon
Mini games showcasing the NX's new gimmicks
Bayonetta 3

After Launch
Animal Crossing
Fully fledged Pokemon NX title. Can play on the console while docked and on the go as a portable option.
Okami 2

maxcriden

Regarding a new Mario at launch, Miyamoto-san's comments at E3 indicate we won't see one until next E3 at the earliest:

"We're always challenging ourselves to create something new, so hopefully you'll see a new kind of Mario in about a year or two," Shigeru Miyamoto said in an interview with IGN.

"Maybe next E3 we'll be able to share something."

"It's kind of difficult with Mario because some of the more important conventions of Mario are based on the approachability and accessibility of those games," Miyamoto said, noting that having new people join Nintendo has allowed them to look "at the conventions with fresh eyes."

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1235065

Last year, in September 2015, Tezuka-san said:

“We will continue to make 3D and 2D Mario games, but I want to make one that even exceeds New Super Mario Bros. I can’t say anything concrete yet, but you may see it within a few years.”

http://alwaysnintendo.com/takashi-tezuka-wants-to-create-non-mario-projects/ (translation courtesy of Cheesemeister)

And back in July of 2015, Eurogamer posted an interview with Miyamoto about SMG3/future projects:

Nintendo's Shigeru Miyamoto has spoken of the "opportunity" for a new Super Mario Galaxy game as the company's "hardware technology gets better and advances".

For many fans, the original Mario Galaxy and its sequel represent Nintendo at the peak of its 3D platforming powers. But it has now been five years without another Galaxy-style title.

"[A new Mario Galaxy] is always in discussion," Miyamoto told Eurogamer. "But even with Mario 64 there was a lot of feedback about motion sickness with the 3D or maybe us making it too difficult.

Nintendo has since returned its focus to more traditional Mario outings, such as its 2D New Super Mario Bros. series.

"Going back to our roots and making New Super Mario Bros., anyone can play that," Miyamoto continued. "So that's why we went back.

"We're always thinking, is there a middle ground where people who do enjoy the 3D worlds of Galaxy and those who enjoy New Super Mario Bros. can both enjoy it? We're always looking at those opportunities," he added.

The recent Super Mario 3D Land for 3DS and 3D World for Wii U are examples of this middle ground. Both titles feature 3D environments but still do not offer the free-roaming levels of Galaxy, or earlier titles such as Mario Sunshine and Mario 64.

"On the other hand, me and [Yoshiaki] Koizumi-san, director of Galaxy, are always looking to challenge Galaxy and do another 3D action title," Miyamoto continued. "However we can't make so many games at once in parallel.

"But as the hardware technology gets better and advances, I think there will be a lot of opportunity for both options."

When asked what extra hardware power would be needed - and whether this meant Nintendo would now wait for its upcoming NX console - Miyamoto was coy:

"Wii U's definitely good enough in terms of hardware performance, it is more the workload of the team. If you look at Star Fox Zero, the TV and GamePad are both rendered in 60 frames, so in total that's 120 frames. It's really just a matter of the CPU speed at this point."

The number of Nintendo fans that have picked up 3D paint shooter Splatoon will also help increase the number of players that are used to controlling a 3D camera, Miyamoto added, and should help the next 3D Mario find a wider audience.

The wider audience of the 2D side-scrolling Mario titles is reflected in the fact that New Super Mario Bros. titles have sold far more than the Galaxy games.

Spy

Animal Crossing
Pokémon Sun and Moon (or some variant of it)
Poochy & Yoshi's Woolly World
Super Smash Bros. NX (port with more characters and stages)
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I just want a proper 3D Mario as release game.

Many people believe Zelda will come as a launch game for NX, which is possible but unlikely.

I think Zelda BotW will release around christmas, so they have a bit more time and are getting ready for holiday sale, I mean Zelda releases always around november/december, right?

tolkir

Mi uncle works with Nintendo and said to me:

- Zelda BotW
- Smash NX
- Wario Ware
- Splatoon 2
- Pikmin 4
- Disney collaboration (Princesses crossover)
- Mario 3D

NewDust

Sorry for the off topic, but...

With the inclusion of the word 'realistic' in a NX predictions/speculation thread, I feel OP is trolling us.

Many people believe Zelda will come as a launch game for NX, which is possible but unlikely.

I think Zelda BotW will release around christmas, so they have a bit more time and are getting ready for holiday sale, I mean Zelda releases always around november/december, right?

Zelda's already been delayed twice. If it's not a launch game, I'll be shocked.

They went all out with zelda at e3 this year. I really can't see them showing it again.

I feel like the game is done soon and they'll sit on it until the NX release.

They need a big title for NX launch.

Shaanyboi

Banned

It's not set in stone. The only thing for certain is Nintendo will always launch something the weekend before Black Friday

Ocarina of Time 3D - June 2011
Majora's Mask - April 2000 (JPN) October 2000 (NA)
Majora's Mask 3D - February 2015
Wind Waker - Dec 2002 (JPN) March 2003 (NA)
Oracle of Ages/Seasons - Feb 2001 (JPN) May 2001 (NA)
Minish Cap - November 2004 (JPN/EU) January 2005 (NA)
Phantom Hourglass - June 2007 (JPN) October 2007 (NA)
Twilight Princess HD - March 2016

Jackano

Lists are cool.
Launch window? It means first quarter to me, as far as we know atm, without anymore delay, it means deadline at June 30th 2016.

- Zelda BotW;
- A mainline Mario game, probably 3D, I don't think "Galaxy".
- That new game Nintendo will need to show off NX USP, so àla Wii Sports/NintendoLand, maybe using an existing IP (Kid Icarus was supposed to be that).

- A Pokémon spin-off game. You always got one of those.
- Is Pikmin 4 supposed to be different from the 3DS game? Idk what's the concensus here. In any case, a B-tier franchise is usually at launch alongside the two big titles. Think Pilotwings 64, Wario Ware, Metroid Hunters, that sort of thing.

At this point, we already have one more title compared to usual Nintendo launch. But that one title is supposed to be ready for launch because of the delay.
Finally:
- Smash Bros for NX. The first of the Wii U rumored ports. It's happening, and there are amiibos waiting for its release.

6 titles may be a bit short if we're believing in the better launch than usual. I believe digital/VC goodies will be plenty for the first 2.5~3months. Drought usually happen on Q2 (so outside launch window), this is where I'm waiting to see improvement in the release shedule.

DonShula

Zelda BOTW
Pikmin 4
Super Mario NX
Animal Crossing: Whatever
Some Nintendoland-esque mini game compilation I won't buy

I need Zelda day one. We know this game has to be finished already since it's apparently just waiting on the NX. And I won't be buying ports... I owned a Wii U and have all of those, thanks. I don't care to buy Smash again. I'd only be open to ports with substantial upgrades (like major additions to Mario Maker).

Launch Day:

Zelda: BotW
SSB4 NX Port (including all currently released DLC)
New 2D Mario game
Super Mario Maker NX Port
Spla2oon (or at least Splatoon ported to NX)
Pikmin 4
Some party game like Nintendo Land that works with the NX's gimmick

After launch:

Mario Kart 9
Spla2oon (if the former ends up being the first one ported to NX)
3D Mario
Animal Crossing NX
New Retro title

Launch day

Splatoon 2
Zelda BTOW
Just Dance
Streetpass things
New super mario NX
Wii u ports (Smash?)

Sometimes in 2017

MK9
Animal Crossing
Fire Emblem

Mikeside

Mario Universe
Wii Sports 2
Nintendoworld (Nintendoland sequel)
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD
Splatoon Too
Warioware New eXperiments
Animal Crossing National eXpress (where you live on a train?)
Mario Kart: Nitrous oXide
Metroid Dread
Kirby the Incredible (why is this not the name of a Kirby game already?)
Legend of Zelda BotW
Pikmin Trilogy HD
Pokemon Snap 2
Star Fox: Open Universe Star Citizen Edition

... These are ok expectations, right?

Launch titles:

Breath of the Wild - for obvious reason. Nintendo needs a killer title to attract people buying the NX. This is the one.

Smash port - I believe in Serkan Toto. Besides, it is a great introducing people to all famous Nintendo characters. It can also be a title to attract people buying multiple controllers for their console.

A New IP - Every Nintendo consoles launched with a new IP. Excited to see what it is.

1 ~ 3 western third party titles - Expecting Just Dance and other titles that are launched in late 2016, such as Watch Dogs 2.

Launch Window titles:

Dragon Quest X and XI: Square Enix need to release DQXI before the end of the fiscal year.

Others: I am not going to make wild guesses. The list should be realistic enough.

Vertti

I have a feeling that the launch will be a bit underwhelming. We get Zelda, maybe some smaller game a la Wii Sports/Nintendo Land and maybe a port or two from Wii U games. Then some 3rd party stuff and if we are lucky something like Animal Crossing or Pikmin 4.

As a whole I think 2017 could be a great. I'm expecting new Retro game and new Mario later in the year but I'm sure that they leave some good stuff for holiday. They need big hitters for 2018 too to keep the momentum going.

Neoxon

Launch Day
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild (shared with the Wii U)
  • Smash 4 NX (updated port of the Wii U version)
  • Pikmin 4

First Year
  • Splatoon 2
  • Mario Kart 9
  • Retro Studios's game
  • Pokémon Sun/Moon sequel game (shared with the 3DS)
  • Sonic 2017
  • Animal Crossing
  • 3D Mario

Other way round. Zelda definitely at launch no doubt about that, 3D Mario end of the year.

Justinh

I think Nintendo Selects ports is a good guess.
Animal Crossing, I think, is a good guess too. We haven't seen a home console Animal Crossing since the Wii, although I get the lines are blurry between "home console" and "portable" with the NX.

I think the "gimmicky show off game" will be some kind of Streetpass stuff. I'm not expecting Zelda to be at launch...

woopWOOP

6 months is a pretty big launch window
Honestly, after this drought they better have atleast 3-5 games ready to release within 3 months.

I'm gonna guess it'll be a new Mario and Zelda BotW with a few more 'casual' style games thrown in like a new Tomodachi Life, Pilot Wings and perhaps something like Wave Race.

Castef

Banned
- Remake of 3DS's Luigi's Mansion
- Surprising new F-Zero
- Something similar to Skylanders or Disney Infinity which puts to good use Amiboos

Realistically, for launch? I'm expecting on day one...

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Mario Nexus
F-Zero NXtreme
Metroid: Hunted
Wave Race: Tsunami
Pilot Wings: Tropical Flight
1080 Snowboarding: Downhill Rush
Donkey Kong Country: Jungle Fever
Animal Crossing: World United
Yoshi's Island: All Grown Up
Pokemon World
Pokemon Snap 2
Diddy Kong Racing 2: Wiz Pigs Revenge
Mario Kart: Nintendo All-Stars
Super Smash Bros Rumble
Kid Icarus: Medusa Ascends
Mario Golf: Nintendo All-Stars
Paper Mario and the One Million Year Door
Mario Tennis: Nintendo All-Stars
Pikmin 4: Fight for Hocotate
Star Fox: Battle for Lylat
Luigi's Mansion 3: The Haunting
Kirby's DreamWorld
Fire Emblem: Stones of Glory
Battalion Wars: War! what is it good for?

I think as launch titles I'd be happy with those, but perhaps asking for Pikmin 4 is pushing the list beyond realistic...

• Zelda
  • Splatoon
  • Smash Bros
  • Some 3rd Party games (like, 6 or 7 of them max), probably from Ubisoft, EA (to show that they DO care!), Activision, Namco, Capcom and definitely not Konami
  • The console
  • The handheld
  • Both of them
  • With controllers
  • And buttons
  • And probably some kind of power cord?
  • I don't know
  • Nintendo will think of something I guess.
  • Something something holograms
  • That one patent that was posted on GAF 2 or 3 years ago
  • Free cookies, too

TDLink

I feel like Spla2n will be a 2018 game so I don't see a port of the original happening. It could, but I think they'll just dedicate their resources there to the sequel. I also don't think Mario Kart will happen in the first year.

The Third party developed games I am listing here are those I think Nintendo will end up publishing to have on the system.

I think there will be many more third party published games (especially from, say, Square) to bolster this "first party" list as well.

Launch Window (First 6 months, March-August)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Super Smash Bros for NX
New IP Impossible to guess (there always is one for all of their system launches)
Wild Card Neglected IP*
Mario Maker
Mario Sports Superstars
Poochy and Yoshi's Woolly World
Pokemon Sun/Moon Third Version
Dragon Quest VIII
Monster Hunter Stories
Beyond Good and Evil 2

*F-Zero, Wave Race, 1080 Snowboarding, Kid Icarus, Pilotwings, Advance Wars. Take your pick. I think one will happen, but only one. Metroid not until 2018.

Just outside of Launch Window/Holiday 2017 (September-December)
New 3D Mario
New Retro Game
Nintendo X Something Collaboration game
Pikmin 4

Third Party Published First Year Releases (Just for fun)
Final Fantasy XV Complete Edition
Dissidia Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy VII R Part 1
Dragon Quest X
Dragon Quest XI
Tekken 7 Special Edition
Sonic 2017
Sonic Mania
Ni No Kuni 2
Yo-kai Watch 4
Injustice 2
Ghost Recon: Wildlands
Assassin's Creed Egypt (2017 game)
Just Dance 2017
Skylanders 2017
COD 2017
Agents of Mayhem
Yooka-Laylee

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Launch day:
New Super Mario Bros NX feat. Mario Maker
- I'm thinking they might just fold Mario Maker into the NSMB line (or vice versa). Several parents I know bought MM for their kids because the concept sounds appealing, but were turned off quickly by the lack of a real "campaign" mode of official levels, the wildly unpredictable range of quality presented to them in user-made levels, and because they just plain didn't turn out to like making Mario levels in practice as much as they did in theory. MM sold well but I bet the user drop-off stats are pretty dire.
Splatoon 2
Smash 4 Complete (Smash 4 w/ all DLC)

Launch window:
Pikmin 4
Animal Crossing NX
Hyrule Warriors Xtreme Legends (HW with all DLC and Legends content)
Mario Kart 8 Turbo (MK8 w/ all DLC, maybe another 4-8 tracks)
Some Kirby Thing
NX Sports Resort

MoonFrog

Launch titles:

Breath of the Wild - for obvious reason. Nintendo needs a killer title to attract people buying the NX. This is the one.

Smash port - I believe in Serkan Toto. Besides, it is a great introducing people to all famous Nintendo characters. It can also be a title to attract people buying multiple controllers for their console.

A New IP - Every Nintendo consoles launched with a new IP. Excited to see what it is.

1 ~ 3 western third party titles - Expecting Just Dance and other titles that are launched in late 2016, such as Watch Dogs 2.

Launch Window titles:

Dragon Quest X and XI: Square Enix need to release DQXI before the end of the fiscal year.

Others: I am not going to make wild guesses. The list should be realistic enough.

I really hope DQXI comes out in launch window time outside Japan too.

muteki

Zelda BotW, a 2D Platformer, and new Pikmin.

Probably others I'm not sure I buy this launch being any different despite what is necessary and what they have had time for.

Breath of the Wild
Mainline 3D Mario Game - I am kind of doubtful of this, but I think as a pack-in it could really sell systems
Smash Bros NX (Port with DLC and some extra content)
Animal Crossing (Launch window)
Geist 2 (lol)
Pokemon Eclipse (Launch window... - everything about it is begging for a port on a more technologically sounds console)
Wario Ware
Retro Studios project
Beyond Good & Evil 2

I really hope DQXI comes out in launch window time outside Japan too.

I gave up and decided to learn Japanese so that I can play all these Japanese games day 1 in the future. Hopefully the learning progress is good enough to allow me playing it at launch.

messiaen

Launch Day:

Spla2oon
Mario Maker port
Smash port

Launch window:

Luigi's Mansion 3
Mario Kart 9
Pikmin 4

Late 2017:

New 3D Mario
Totally agree. I can't help but think that there's going to be quite a lot of activity during the launch year with the huge drought on Wii U and restructuring to Nintendo EPD, all signs point toward a great deal of content. I would just add Retro's title to the list, probably a holiday 2017 title. Hopefully it's Metroid, but it could very well be another DK game...

21XX

Banned
You have the Japanese date for the Gamecube. I was really confused because I vividly remember having a snow day a couple days after it launched and even though Minnesota is crazy, it's not usually blizzard-in-September crazy.

The No-Brainers for early launch window

- Zelda (it is known)
- Smash Bros 4 enhanced port
- Splatoon port or Splatoon 2
- Mario Maker NX
- A multiplayer party game showing possibilities

Likely within the launch window

- A 2D platform game (most likely Donkey Kong since I believe next full Mario game will be a 3D game for second push on christmas season)
- A "core" action game (new Platinum game/new Metroid)
- Another TecmoKoei collab (Hyrule/Fire Emblem Warriors or worst timeline: Metroid Warriors following up on Other M storyline instead of true Metroid)
- A niche series continuation (Luigi's Mansion 3 or F-Zero)
- A "casual" sim game (my bet is on new full Animal Crossing right there, alongside a mobile game for cross functionality)

There will be more Wii U ports since their development did cost a lot of money and some might profit from stronger hardware or a new enhanced audience, such as...

- Xenoblade Chronicles X
- Bayonetta 1/2
- Pokken

Games which will be announced early but release holiday 2017/2018

- new Mario 3D
- new Mario Kart
- new Fire Emblem with mobile game cross functionality
- new Monolith RPG
- new Pokémon with Pokémon Go cross functionality
- new Ubisoft collab (Rayman Legends 2 or less likely Beyond Good & Evil 2)

New Virtual Console will launch and hopefully we'll get a Wii level output going again instead of the Wii U barren schedule.

... yeah, this sounds like a wet Nintendo fanlist. Then again, I believe Nintendo will go all out on NX and since most of their core teams are on NX software for at least 2 years now, a lot on this list is not even unlikely (well, apart from my mentions of Metroid and F-Zero :p). Solid mix of some surefire evergreens, some surprises, more third party spin off collabs and Wii U ports it will be, I guess.

Top Bottom