• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your realistic guesses for 'launch window' games for NX by Nintendo?

georly

Hard to guess really, since I assume a good chunk of 3DS/WiiU projects were pushed onto NX (mainly wii u, but it's possible some 3DS eshop style or 3rd party games are now nx bound).

Several studios are 'due' for a game soon.
Intelligent systems apparently finished color splash a while ago.
Retro hasn't done anything since TF.

Who knows really.

My amateur, un researched guesses?

Wii U ports - Smash NX, Mario Maker, pokken, Zelda, splatoon, etc
Something capcom - Monster hunter
Something Square - Bravely third, DQXI
Something Koei - Hyrule warriors 2 (or fire emblem warriors)
Something Bamco - Tekken?

New fire emblem/animal crossing to tie into mobile? NX port of new leaf at least?

Street pass mii plaza transfer + new games?

DylanEno

Zelda BOTW
Retro's game
Smash 4 Definitive Edition
Definitely a Mario game within 3-6 months... It's not going to be what we're expecting.
Spla2n MAYBE...although I see that as more of a summer 2017 release

janoDX

Launch:
-Smash 4 Directors Cut: All DLC, all 3DS stages, new characters, extra amiibo functionality.
-Mario Kart 8 port: All DLC, new characters, more amiibo.
-Zelda: Breath of the Wild
-3rd parties

kirby_fox

Banned
- New Mario Title: Not sure if it'll be 3D or 2D, but I expect a Mario game at launch. 3D would make the most sense since they haven't launched with a 3D Mario in years.
- Metroid Prime 4: Knowing how Federation Force ends, it feels like a setup for a new game.
- Smash 5: Starting with a Smash 4 base, I think they're going to push it to be Smash 5 and support it with continued DLC rather than port it and do nothing with it. Smash was their big amiibo seller, and adding more characters to it would just allow more amiibo to be sold.
- Wii Sports: Nintendo wants to try to grab the same people they once had on the Wii. A revival that successfully shows whatever new tech they have to people using a game like or similar to Wii Sports is what's needed. Maybe it won't be Wii Sports, but sports games made the Wii controls simple. Nintendoland did not make the Wii U controls simple to people.

Shaanyboi

Banned
6 months is a pretty big launch window
Honestly, after this drought they better have atleast 3-5 games ready to release within 3 months.

I'm gonna guess it'll be a new Mario and Zelda BotW with a few more 'casual' style games thrown in like a new Tomodachi Life, Pilot Wings and perhaps something like Wave Race.
This is also Nintendo we're talking about...

Shaanyboi

Banned
I hope we get some WiiU ports like Splatoon and Mario Maker. Zelda... Who knows if that makes launch. Some Ubisoft games for sure, they're a launch constant at this point. Maybe nothing like ZombiU this time around, since that didn't really sell, but I'd like something new that isn't a party game type thing.

If something like ZombiU ever does happen again, it'd have to be on Nintendo's dime.

Neoxon

As far as the 4 potential Wii U ports go....
  • Smash 4's port is probably gonna happen.
  • Zelda was confirmed, already
  • Emily Rogers mentioned that there were issues with Wii U connectivity for Splatoon & Super Mario Maker's ports. And with Nintendo pulling the plug on Splatfest, it's starting to become apparent that Nintendo may just gonna focus their efforts towards the sequel rather than porting the first game.
  • As for Super Mario Maker, though Emily Rogers did say what's mentioned above, the existence of the 3DS version may imply that Nintendo could be willing to still do the NX version. If they managed to figure out a way to port over the user-created Wii U stages or if they plan to start from zero is beyond me, but I feel a bit more optimistic about SMM getting ported than Splatoon.

Shaanyboi

Banned
As far as the 4 potential Wii U ports go....
  • Smash 4's port is probably gonna happen.
  • Zelda was confirmed, already
  • Emily Rogers mentioned that there were issues with Wii U connectivity for Splatoon & Super Mario Maker's ports. And with Nintendo pulling the plug on Splatfest, it's starting to become apparent that Nintendo may just gonna focus their efforts towards the sequel rather than porting the first game.
  • As for Super Mario Maker, though Emily Rogers did say what's mentioned above, the existence of the 3DS version may imply that Nintendo could be willing to still do the NX version. If they managed to figure out a way to port over the user-created Wii U stages or if they plan to start from zero is beyond me, but I feel a bit more optimistic about SMM getting ported than Splatoon.
Isn't Emily Rogers' credibility with rumors still very much in the air recently?

Boney

Banned
I haven't payed much attention to their developments schedules but one would have to line up the development schedule of their teams and their flagship titles.

Mario Kart 8 released a good while ago, and despite the DLC taking extra resources after, I'm sure this has been fast tracked with assistance from another developer if needed. Not launch but before holiday 2017 definately.

Animal Crossing has come out from the massive project that was New Leaf and followed up with HHD and Amiibos easing up resources for the next sequel. I'm guessing the mobile game won't have the traditional free form movement and will be a lot more constrained kinda similar to the board game but more Animal Crossingy. They'll want to have a partner software for that around the middle of the year I'd think.

Mario is a big question mark, SMM is probably coming as well but they'll probably have a new 3D Mario for the holidays.

Retro will probably also be a holiday release and the calendar year should be filled with smaller projects to fill some gaps, I don't really think they'll be able to have too much at once. There's probably going to be something crazy like W101 before the holidays and Splatoon 2 should be hitting May-ish 2018 not sooner.

I'm wondering if they're going to partner up to make some more HD remakes. Could see 1 or 2 GC classics coming over, Metroid Prime would be a big one (Nintendo won't bundle the series together) and maybe even Luigi's Mansion (I'm not saying f-zero so I don't get a broken heart). I'm less confident on smash 4 getting ported for some reason, makes too much sense not too

-Zelda
-Either Mario Maker 2 or a 3D Mario, personally I think the former, if the rumours are true about it being a hybrid, it's obviously gonna get Mario Maker at some point. It was a success for them and there's a lot more that they can do with Mario Maker.
-Pikmin 4
-Smash 4 with all the DLC, probably Ice Climbers with a couple of new stages, Inkling is a maybe.
-Splatoon 2.
-Some Blue Ocean game along the lines of Wii Sports.
-A couple of third party games like Sonic Mania and Dragon Quest, maybe FFXV if the NX is close to the Xbone's power.

Breath of the Wild, Cruis'n Redline, Smash Brothers retail from Nintendo. Probably Tekken, Tales of ..., Hyrule Warriors 2, Sonic, Dragon Quest, Darksiders 1 and 2 from third parties. All along with a smattering of Wii U ports. Maybe Xenoblade, Tokyo Mirage Sessions, Pokkén and Paper Mario.

Fast Racing Neo, Rive, Shovel Knight, Yooka Laylee on the indie side.

Bowl0l

every possible 1st party titles will be delayed except Zelda:BOW. We will get mostly Amiibo centric titles and Nindies.

gafneo

Banned
You know Pokemon and Zelda are there day 1.

A Nintendogs MMO where you can breed, raise puppies, go to miiverse social hubs to check out everyone's pets.

A mature rated game like GTA/Red Dead

3D Mario Maker with Mario 64 DS, 64, Sunshine, and Galaxy filters

Another Metroid 2 Remake, but licensed for the eshop

A crazy tech demo game that does literally everything possible to explain the system's controls.

Isn't Emily Rogers' credibility with rumors still very much in the air recently?
Pretty much

Well know very soon though. She's hinted at certain stuff before but she is pretty much laying her hand on a bible about her NX stuff

Really only after the NX reveal will we know if she is credible or not

But anyway I have a feeling that in the first 6 months of NX we'll get

Zelda at launch

An enhanced port of Pokemon sun and moon in the summer

And a Mario game towards the end of summer

Launch
Zelda BoTW
New Mario Bros NX
Smash 4 and/or Mario Kart 8 ports

Launch Windows
That Mario sports game announced for 3DS
Pokémon
Pikmin

And that's about it for a realistic guess. I also hope Dragon Quest Builders make its way to the NX.

I'm seeing a lot of NSMB in this thread, but I honestly think that series is being replaced by Mario Maker. Or they'll combine the two somehow, 2D Mario with a level creator is the only way to go forward now.

Fbh

Id say.

-Zelda

- A new "new super Mario" recycling the same assets and music

- Mabye a new IP built to take advantage of whatever special functionality the WiiU has.

- If it's not backwards compatible then I'd expect to see a few WiiU ports: Smash with all DLC and mabye Mario Kart 8 with all DLC

Edit:

I'm seeing a lot of NSMB in this thread, but I honestly think that series is being replaced by Mario Maker. Or they'll combine the two somehow, 2D Mario with a level creator is the only way to go forward now.

Actually yeah, this makes more sense. Going back to a traditional new super Mario doesn't seem very viable after releasing Mario Maker

wolflink

Banned
Launch day:
Zelda BotW
Just dance 2017
Lego star wars 8
Resident evil 7
Pes 2017 nx version
Luigis mansion 3

First 3 months

Super Mario galaxy 3
Mario strikers nx
Soul calibur nx
Bayonetta 3
Golden sun 4
Dragon quest 11
Advance wars
Sonic something
Final fantasy christal chronicles nx
Zombie nx
Mother 3 localization
Rayman
Rayman party rabbids

Launch day:
Zelda BotW
Just dance 2017
Lego star wars 8
Resident evil 7
Pes 2017 nx version
Luigis mansion 3

First 3 months

Super Mario galaxy 3
Mario strikers nx
Soul calibur nx
Bayonetta 3
Golden sun 4
Dragon quest 11
Advance wars
Sonic something
Final fantasy christal chronicles nx
Zombie nx
Mother 3 localization
Rayman
Rayman party rabbids

Oh man a Soul Calibur NX with a nintendo guest character would be crazy lol

Nico_D

Launch Day:

Zelda BOTW
Just Dance
Yooka-Laylee
Retro Studios game
Paper Mario Color Splash NX
Some party-game
Animal Crossing (port or new)
Splatoon NX (extra goodies)
Luigi's Mansion 2 NX

Launch window:

Pikmin 4
Super Mario Galaxysunshineworlduniverse 4D
Watch Dogs 2
Splatoon 2

And if it's a hybrid, then DS ports/virtual console titles like Ace Attorney.

Doesn't sound so crazy, its already happened

Well I'm mainly talking another one since its been almost a decade since an actual SC game appeared on a nintendo console. I mean even at least a character from the fire emblem series would be cool to see since that game is already pretty heavily focused on weapons.

tinders

Lifelong Nintendo fan here: if NX launch is just a bunch of WiiU ports, Nintendo can go fuck themselves.

Zelda is not enough to get me there day 1. I can play that on WiiU and be totally satisfied. I need NX exclusive content to be abundant before I commit.

Let's do this Nintendo, don't let me down!

ZeldaBotW
SmashBros
Something I can't guess that is designed around the uniqueness of NX. (Mini games)
3D Mario
Splatoon2
Combined VC without cost to get your wiiu/3ds games
Other digital BC content (wiiu)

JustDance
Random 3rd party ports
Monster Hunter

spekkeh

Banned
Zelda is obvious, most likely Pikmin 4, and I think Retro's game slightly later (my gut tells me 2D metroid based on DKC engine; that they're going to try something like Other M again but by Retro with a strong western Samus). I think a Splatoon 1 port, it's too soon for a sequel, but they're going to want to bank on its popularity. I don't think a Mario Maker port, they will try to do an upgraded version where you can make worlds.

3D Mario will arrive at the holidays, or otherwise a Luigi spinoff game.

Seeing as it also doubles as their portable, I expect a few portable franchises over the summer months. I'm not very knowledgeable on this. Maybe something like Advance Wars or Icarus. Too early for Fire Emblem. I would expect a Pokemon Sun and Moon port.

What's actually more interesting is to think about how they are going to sell their concept. It seems to be Multiplayer on the go.
Mario Kart might be a zinger in this regard, but it would appear too soon after Kart 8. They're not going to sell it with a port either. Then there's the point where NES like pads and a small screen are pretty crappy to play multiplayer games anyway.

Latest rumor seemed to double down on the idea that the detachable controllers are wiimote like controllers. In addition, Just Dance is practically the only confirmed game and might be something special on NX with an extra wearable.

My hypothesis: Nintendo is going back to health and vitality. NX is the platform where multiple QoL wearables and other devices connect to. You can take NX with you and go dancing with your friends, do other not-Wii sports, etc. Most of it will revolve around playful physical activities. Play like no other.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
-Zelda will be the big launch game.

-There's going to be some sort of game that takes advantage of playing it on the go, and then docking at home. Maybe Pikmin themed. When on the go use your Pikmin to collect items that you use to restore your ship, which is the dock at home.
Or maybe it's a base building defense game. Whatever the case there's going to be something to showcase it bring a hybrid.

Smash Bros Ultimate remaster. Probably launch window
Third parties...
The usual family friendly ports. Maybe something from Ubisoft.

There won't be a gigantic amount of games by Nintendo at launch. People get themselves too excited only to be disappointed.

jdstorm

Banned
Let's assume Launch window means 6 months from March. That's March till August.

Nintendo usually produces around 20 games a year, and with the consolidation of resources plus some external help. I'd expect 12 or so games in the launch window.

Purely from Nintendo..
Zelda BotW, Smash Bros, Mario Maker, Pokemon, Fire Emblum, Retro Studios, Pimkin, Multiplayer party game, Racing game, and a few smaller projects.

BreakAtmo

I really hope they have ports of a lot of the great Wii U exclusives at launch. I never did get one but there are a bunch of its games that interest me, especially when they become portable. Things like Smash or Bayonetta 1&2.

Blues1990

Off-Topic: I'm much more interested to see exactly how Nintendo will reveal the NX, or whatever the new thingamajig will be. Some of the big trade shows and conventions have already come to pass, for example.

On-Topic: Dragon Quest XI will probably be released around the launch period of the system, as the game is coming out in Japan next year. As for SSB, I can't be the only one to think that a new Smash game (regardless if it's a GOTY Edition) after 2 years from the last one is WAY to early.

Boney

Banned
Mario Kart might be a zinger in this regard, but it would appear too soon after Kart 8. They're not going to sell it with a port either. Then there's the point where NES like pads and a small screen are pretty crappy to play multiplayer games anyway.
I don't think Mario Kart has will be a launch title by any means but will probably be shown now and ready for the holidays.

Mario kart 7 released 3 and a half years after MKWii and 8 was 2 and a half years after 7. With 7 seven months after launch and with 8, 14 months after.

Taking March as the launch, it would be 3 years after 8 was out, but it's worth noting that the team was also busy with the DLC courses that launched 6 and 12 months after release, making it 2 years since all was said and done. They fast tracked 7 and 8 with extra development help but it very well could happen this time as well. Nintendo should realize MK isn't a momentum swinger but rather a momentum amplifier so who knows when.

And unless Retro is on DK or something similar ai don't think they'll do a double whammy of Zelda + Retro, and I think it'll mirror something similar to TP and MP3.

Despite the HD development woes, I expect the internal calendar to be similar to Wii's first year consisting of GC move overs and partner studio's help.

No Wii sports crazy this time around but it had Zelda, Excite Truck, Warioware, Super Paper Mario, Mario Strikers, Batallion Wars (rip), Metroid and Galaxy out there. Nice mix of heavy weights, and outside development help like Mario Sports series or Excitr Truck. I really think it'll be something similar following NX with Wii U carry overs, 3ds successors would be and HD remakes partnerships.

DQ won't be launch no way with it just having a vague 2017 release window. NX will close this fiscal year no doubt about it.

wolflink

Banned
Well I'm mainly talking another one since its been almost a decade since an actual SC game appeared on a nintendo console. I mean even at least a character from the fire emblem series would be cool to see since that game is already pretty heavily focused on weapons.

I dream with some of the games from the cube era. I will Love another viewtiful joe, ikaruga, eternal darkness nx. That sadness game that was being developed for wii.

Ooccoo

It's Nintendo, so I expect one game featuring Mario, probably a platformer.

I also expect a port of Smash and Zelda: Breath of the Wild to be available either at launch of very soon after.

Everything else is a mystery. Retro Studios' game is probably a late 2017 title, hopefully a new Metroid (like Prime) or a new IP (doubtful).

Top Bottom