• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are your realistic guesses for 'launch window' games for NX by Nintendo?

If they did a Super Monkey Ball that was more of a throwback to the first two games that would be epic. One of my favorite games on the GCN.

Zelda BotW
new Mario game
Pokemon sun/moon port with minor additions
splatoon port

I think these will come out within the first couple months.

Peltz

I do think we'll see BotW at launch and 3D Mario by holiday 2017.

I also think that Pikmin 4 come out sometime within the launch window, with a greater focus on multiplayer. I think/hope this will be Nintendo's online-multiplayer focused title in the first year, but it's tough to tell. It may also tie in heavily with the detachable controllers for a local-multiplayer/only focus.

Either way, they need at least one online multiplayer game at launch rather than the local-only minigame stuff we've been getting from them in the last two console launches. Nintendo has shown that they can (sometimes) create compelling online multiplayer games. Having one ready to go at launch would be wise.

Javier

Launch:

- Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Confirmed)
- Super Smash Bros. For NX (Port of Smash Wii U with DLC, plus a few extra characters and stages)
- Super Mario Maker Plus (Expanded port of the Wii U version. Levels you made on the Wii U version carry over through NNID)
- Pikmin 4 (Not sure on this one anymore. Depends on who is developing the 3DS game)
- Mario Sports NX (Makes sense based on the rumors)

- Just Dance 2017 (Confirmed)
- Dragon Quest X (Japan)
- Several Indie eShop titles. I also expect most of Virtual Console to carry over and be there Day 1.

First 6 Months:

- Splatoon 2
- Next Mainline Super Mario game
- Mario Kart 9
- Mario Party 11
- Pokemon Spinoff game
- Animal Crossing
- WarioWare

- Bandai Namco game (Pac-Man? Compilation game?)
- Ubisoft game (Rayman? Rabbids?)
- Dragon Quest XI (Japan)
- Monster Hunter

First 12 Months:

- Metroid
- Mainline Pokemon (Either sequels to S/M or 3rd version)
- Fire Emblem
- New 1st Party IP
- Retro Studios game
- Splatoon Spinoff (Squid Sisters rhythm game)

- Final Fantasy VI Remake (I WANT TO BELIEVE)
- Atlus game (SMT? Etrian Odyssey? Persona spinoff?)

I really don't see a new Mario Kart in the first 12 months, I see that as a second holiday game, with a 3D Mario being the first holiday game. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if its less of a "Mario Kart" and more of a "Nintendo Kart"

Nintendo 3DS - March 27, 2011
Nintendogs + Cats: French Bulldog & New Friends
Nintendogs + Cats: Golden Retriever & New Friends
Nintendogs + Cats: Shiba & New Friends
Nintendogs + Cats: Toy Poodle & New Friends
Pilotwings Resort
Steel Diver
Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (within 3 months of NA launch)
Star Fox 64 3D (within 6 months of NA launch)

WiiU - Nov 18, 2012
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Sing Party
Lego City Undercover (within 4 months of NA launch)

Oof... Those 3DS and Wii U launches look avsolutely awful in retrospect.

With home console and handheld development merging onto one platform, I think we can expect a much better launch output than 3DS/Wii U, but not necessarily rivaling the quantity in some of Nintendo's earlier console launches. Here's what I'm thinking:

Super Smash Bros. For NX (a definitive edition port of Smash 4, with DLC included and maybe new modes specific to NX)
Proof of Concept Game - similar to Wii Sports and Nintendoland, a game that attempts to sell what the NX is capable of
Super Mario NX - a 3D Mario for the NX
Pikmin 4 - been "nearly finished" for awhile now, so this makes sense
Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - not much to say here, we know this one is coming.
Mario Kart 9 - All the above games (minus the proof of concept game) have been either rumored or even hinted at by Nintendo staff, so this would be one surprise game. I imagine this one will be 5 or 6 months from launch if it is indeed coming.
Retro Studios Project - This one would be the second and last surprise game to hit in the launch window and is probably going to be Retro's new IP. It's been awhile since DKC:TF so I think this would make a lot of sense to drop within the next year (in the NX launch window).

Apart from that Nintendo will also kick off Virtual Console in the launch window and will do regular releases of games each week. Maybe we can also look forward to other indie-size games featuring Nintendo IPs too (like maybe a 2D Metroid by a smaller team?)

Nintendo needs to go hard this time around, so having the big hitters (Zelda, Mario, Smash, and Kart) right from the get go would help generate early adopters. I think Pokémon is coming too, but I also think it will land just outside the launch window (Maybe in November).

Early Launch Window:
Zelda BotW
Smash Definitive Edition
Splatoon NX Port
Pikmin 4
2D Platformer (DK? Rayman?)
Luigis Mansion 3
WarioWare

Until End of 2017:
Mario NX
Mario Kart
Retro Studios project
Beyond Good & Evil 2
Animal Crossing NX
Fire Emblem
Kirby
PokéPort
Monster Hunter

Illucio

Banned
Smash NX (The Amiibo's for Bayonetta, Cloud, and Corrin have been put up online for pre-order in Australlia and slated for a 2017 release. So it's just a calculated assumption.)
Animal Crossing HD
Zelda Breath of the Wild (Of course buuuuut)
Zelda Twilight Princess HD (Think of it this way. There is no way Nintendo is going to let the Wolf Link Amiibo thing slide by keeping it only on the Wii U. Whether it may just be a port or a complete coded transfer is up to debate.)
New New Super Mario Bros.
A Wii Sports/Nintendo Land type of game.

That's all I can assume/guess.

Anth0ny

6 months is a pretty big launch window
Honestly, after this drought they better have atleast 3-5 games ready to release within 3 months.

I'm gonna guess it'll be a new Mario and Zelda BotW with a few more 'casual' style games thrown in like a new Tomodachi Life, Pilot Wings and perhaps something like Wave Race.

we say this during every end of console drought for nintendo and nothing ever comes of it

we say this during every end of console drought for nintendo and nothing ever comes of it

Well, if nothing comes of it this time, then Nintendo seriously has no business producing hardware anymore. At least during the Wii's last two years + Wii U's first year they had the 3DS excuse to fall back on.

Griss

The OP just reminded me of the mind-blowing extent to which they fucked up the 3DS and Wii U launches. Jesus Christ those were bad.

Anyway, I'm expecting Zelda, Smash port and Animal Crossing at launch.

I personally consider the launch window to be 3 months. You can sell people on a console on launch day based on what's there now and coming in a month or two. What's coming in 6 months? Fairly irrelevant - people can wait. 6 months after the Wii U had launched it was already clear that the system was DoA and it never recovered. 6 months is too long.

Zelda absolutely needs to be day 1. If Zelda isn't ready then delay the whole damn console until it is. Combining that massive Zelda hype + New console hype together for day 1 is critical.

Going by their history step of releasing loads of launch games to releasing a few shit ones, I'm gonna bet on fuck all.

That launch for the WiiU makes me want to cry.

LAUNCH:

- Zelda BoTW
- Smash port w/ additional content
- Splatoon port w/ additional content
- Just Dance
- Amiibo game multiplayer family game
- Sports game
- FIFA
- Namco: something. Maybe Tales game or Massou with all Nintendo characters, similar to the 80's cartoon show Captain N. Or Tank Tank Tank with more levels and online play.
- Square: Dragon Quest Builders
- Fzero dlc with Fast Racing Neo

iOS ports of: Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, Pokemon Go, and that Miitomo.

Launch window: (March thru August)

- Mario Maker port
- Pokemon port
- Dragon Quest XI
- Yo Kai Watch port
- Monster Hunter port or hd
- Minecraft
- A new HD remake (Metroid Prime, Luigi Mansion, or Wave Race seem like likely options)
- Roblox
- Federation Force port ( yeah, I said it!!) Cleaned up and fixed. I believe Next Level was making the NX version at the same time as the 3ds version. NX version is more fleshed out.
- Kirby port
- Paper Mario Wii u port

September 2017 thru Jan 2018
Exclusive:

- ACTIVISION: Call of Duty remake or variation. Maybe a zombie anthology. Funded by Nintendo.
- Ubisoft: BGE2,
- Square: Final Fantasy III remake,
- Nintendo: Mario, Wii Sports NX, Star Fox Zero port ( with fixed controls and multiplayer), Retros game
- Sega: Sonic
- Atlus: JRPGs,
- Capcom: Resident Evil something

- Virtual Console Netflix service.

2018:
- Donkey Kong country HD remake bundled with Tropical Freeze port.
- Punch Out
- Mario Kart
- Spla2on
- Animal Crossing
- Fire Emblem
- 2d Zelda maker
- Captain Toad Port

Mesoian

zelda both
smash 4 dx
hyrule warriors dx
pikmin 4
Mario maker dx
splatoon dx
new 2d and 3d mario

that's likely it for year 1.

RK128

Launch (March 2017):
-Smash Brothers NX
-Zelda: Breath of the Wild
-Wii Sports/WarioWare Team Game

Post Launch (Year 1 - April 2017-April 2018)
-Pikmin 4 (May 2017)
-Mario Maker NX (June 2017)
-Retro Studios Project (July/August 2017)
-3D Mario from EAD Tokyo (September/Octover 2017)
-Next Level Games NX Project (November 2017)
-Mario Kart 9/NX (February 2018)
-Animal Crossing NX (March 2018)

Unsure really. I'd say these are my guesses for titles they'll release in 2017 for NX:

BotW
Smash 4 port
SMM
New IP at launch
3D Mario
Mario Kart
Retro Studios game

I think Animal Crossing and Splatoon sequels will be in 2018 as most of the people that work on those games just released new games last year. I'd guess we could also see sequels or ports to Hyrule Warriors, Pokken, and Mario Sports Mix in 2017.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Launch Day:
Zelda BotW
New IP - ala Wii Sports killer app, possible pack in title
NX exclusive game, new IP or sequel to existing property(something like a Pikmin 4 or Animial Crossing)
Wii U Port - either Smash or Splatoon, possibly both, but they may hold one back to help keep a steady stream of new releases after launch

Release Window(first 6 months):
Smash or Splatoon if not featured at release
Mario Maker Port
Animal Crossing
Pikmin 4
Wario Ware esque game
Mario Kart/Tennis/Soccer/Bros

Holiday 2017:
3D Super Mario title

I can't see them doing a Splatoon port. The game is amazing but it needs a sequel to fully fleshes out the game/concept. Not too mention they want the series to be the next Mario Kart/ Smash Bros, to accomplish that they need a sequel not a port.

Pretty similar to Wii U I'd guess (minus a lot of third party exclusives) so...

- Breath of the wild
- Smash 4 port
- Mario Maker port
- recent third party releases with slight add ons (e.g. dishonerd 2, Hitman etc)
- 3 or 4 'Casual' titles (ala Nintendoland or Wii sports)
- 1 or 2 western 3rd party exclusives
- 5 or 6 Japanese 3rd part exclusives

this is mainly based on how just about all of the big consoles and handhelds have launched recently and taking into account nintendos relationships post Wii U.

Minigame collection (Metacritic 75)
Party game (Metacritic 63)
2D platformer (Metacritic 79)

Breath of the Wild delayed a few months out of the launch window.

Honestly, Nintendo should just take their apology for the launch software drought and promise not to let it happen again, print it out, and include it in the box with the NX. That would save them the trouble of bothering later.

Also I think people will be dissapointed about Pikmin 4. Miyamoto in this most recent E3 said it was put on the backburner and that other projects were being prioritized.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Launch Day
- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
- Super Smash Bros. Ultra
- Concept Title from Garage R&D
- WarioWare
- First-Party Racing Game from Western Developer

Not coming to NX
- Pimin 3DS was the game Miyamoto was referring to. Like it or not. =P
- Mario Maker coming to 3DS probably means a different version will surface on NX but much later.

Coming Soon
- 3D Mario
- Spla2oon
- Retro Studios Game
- More Party Games
- More Mario Sports Games
- Fire Emblem
- XenoSomething

Zelda
Splatoon port and maybe sequel
Smash port
A kirby game
Maybe a party game like NintendoLand?
There should also be a Mario game, maybe something like New Super Mario U

TAS

Well..if Emily Rogers comment (NX will build a better library of games in one year than Wii U did in four) is true, that means the NX launch should be spectacular. Probably the best in history.

Zelda on launch, along with some sort of mass appeal title like what Wii Sports was. Beyond that, maybe Pikmin in the summer and 3D Mario at Christmas. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if we got Mario Maker and Splatoon ports, and maaaybe Smash but at this point I expect them to just be working on a new one.

Genio88

Give me either a Mario game or Zelda BOTW at launch and i'm in...who am i kidding, i'll buy this thing at launch even with Nintendogs

jmizzal

A lot of people think Splatoon 2 will be launch window, that would be huge

March - Zelda at launch , Smash 4 NX, Mario Maker NX port, new IP that works with touch controls

April - Pikmin 4 ( has some connection to 3DS Pikmin)

May - Splatoon 2

June - GC VC games

July nothing

Aug - Retro Studios New IP

Sep - Diddy Kong racing

Oct - Animal Crossing NX

Nov - New 3D Mario, Pokemon NX

Some other smaller games in there

F-Zero NX
Waverace
Metroid Prime 4
1080p Snowboarding
Ice Climbers Returns
Star Tropics Remake
Rogue Squadron 3

Edit: For real tho

Zelda Breath of the Wild NX
A handful of remasters
Just Dance
Pikmin 4
A minigame collection

kunonabi

I'm expecting a bunch of Wii U ports I won't buy, a couple crappy games from ubisoft, and maybe Mario and Animal Crossing in the launch window.

Git

Neo Member
Launch:

LoZ: Breath of the Wild
SplatooNX (Splatoon port obviously)
Mario Kart 8 Complete Edition
Super Mario Galaxy Collection
F-Zero NX

Launch Window:

Smash 4 Complete Edition
Hyrule Warriors Definitive Edition
Wave Race NX