• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what can sony do to counteract the 360 gta4 dlc exclusive?

Dunlop

It's really going to come down to who will buy a console just for GTA IV? Those will choose to buy the 360. For anyone else the PS3 version will be "good enough" and it will come down to the functions/game Library/price

Dever

Banned
Hey I know, maybe they should make Rockstar develop a new exclusive franchise for the Ps3 or something. I know it's unlikely bu... Oh wait a minute.

:p

But seriously, why do they have to counteract it? They can't make the Ps3 version a more appealing version anymore, it's impossible. It's a blow for sure, but Sony can't really do anything about it. Should we make a thread about how MS is going to counteract MGS4? Or how Sony and MS are going to counteract Smash Bros and Wii Fit? Consoles have stuff that's exclusive to them, and no one can do anything about it(Except make a thread on GAF).

Busty

Banned
Dever said:
But seriously, why do they have to counteract it? They can't make the Ps3 version a more appealing version anymore, it's impossible. It's a blow for sure, but Sony can't really do anything about it. Should we make a thread about how MS is going to counteract MGS4? Or how Sony and MS are going to counteract Smash Bros and Wii Fit? Consoles have stuff that's exclusive to them, and no one can do anything about it(Except make a thread on GAF).

Agreed. The biggest thing that MS have going for them isn't the DLC, it's the likely co-marketing, ad branding that the 360 will have with print and televisions adverts for GTA4.

If MS can use that and time it with a cheaper Arcade Unit or price cut across the board then they can build momentum going into the summer.

Everyone has good stuff this year, why do we have to concern ourselves with the marketing campaign approach of SCEA?

Seriously people.

Dunlop

Dever said:
Hey I know, maybe they should make Rockstar develop a new exclusive franchise for the Ps3 or something. I know it's unlikely bu... Oh wait a minute.

This is way to logical for a monday morning, this poster is obviously a cyborg :D

TheExodu5

Banned
I'm on the side of the fence that I doubt the DLC with have much of an impact. They hardcore GTA fans will choose that version, but then, most GTA players are pretty casual and mainstream gamers. How many people do you think actually finished San Andreas? I doubt 90% of the people who bought it even finished it...so I don't see many people wanting to extend their play time through extra missions / store. Most people seem to buy this game for it's sandbox environment.

Now, if the DLC comes with new areas and locales in the game, then it might be a different story.

VonGak!

Banned
Dever said:

^head implodes from logic overload*

Isn't logic a bannable offence on Gaf?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
The DLC is not coming anytime soon, so it wont really matter in April.

GTA4 will sell like CoD4: Really well on Both Platforms

I dunno why people are bringing up other games here, its not like GTA4 is a 360 exclusive, Sony does'nt have to worry about that, unless it's advertised as a 360 game which i doubt...

:lol @ this thread, fanboy trenches are deep

VonGak! said:
^head implodes from logic overload*

Isn't logic a bannable offence on Gaf?

I think the only thing worse than illogical posting are posts pretending the very fabric of logic is some kind of relic from an Alan Quatermain novel.

And I'm a guy who thinks hyperbole is the best thing ever in anything ever.

Ploid 3.0

I don't think they should do anything outside of making sure ps3's logo is shown on the tv and print ads. Other than that screw spending on other stuff, build sony games with the money. Let new teams develop. Give more creative freedom to older teams, etc etc.

For true. Nobody outside of GAF knows or cares about downloadable content for GTA... at this point. If MS sells the DLC hard in advertising as a 'sequel' of sorts, that could draw in some eyes.

I would possibly eschew the DLC benefit of 360 and get it on PS3 just for the friendslist on one over the other; but, no in-game messaging or custom soundtracks so 360 it is.

Monocle

Honestly, if I getting the PS3 version of GTA4 was my only option I wouldn't lose much sleep over it. It's going to be an awesome game, even without DLC.

VonGak!

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think the only thing worse than illogical posting are posts pretending the very fabric of logic is some kind of relic from an Alan Quatermain novel.

And I'm a guy who thinks hyperbole is the best thing ever in anything ever.

Nah it's just you who can't handle logic, probably because it doesn't go well with your wet dream scenario. ^.^

sprocket

Banned
Wasn't there talk of ps3 getting its own exclusive content at one time? Some insider info or something?

So what if that happens?

VonGak!

Banned
sprocket said:
Wasn't there talk of ps3 getting its own exclusive content at one time? Some insider info or something?

So what if that happens?

If it does we'll create a new thread and whine some more.

Mr.City

sprocket said:

So what if that happens?

I vaguely remember hearing something like that. I might be wrong, but can't DLC be developed for the PS3 version as long as it's different than what's coming to the 360?

sajj316

I personally am not crying over the lack of 360 specific DLC on my PS3. I will be getting the PS3 version of GTAIV. I will not moan, cry, and b*tch over this. I do believe that we will have some sort of content through the PSN after release. It will come at cost and I might pay for it but I also believe that it will come at a lower cost than what MS might charge for a DLC pack. $20.00 anyone? Pure speculation on my part but how else will MS recoupe the money spent on exclusivity + ensure Rockstar gets a decent portion of the profits.

jaypah

k79 said:
I don't understand all the hype for the GTA4 DLC.Are people actually excited for this? :/

i know it's a long thread but reading it would shed some light on what's going on. nobody's really saying that they're hyped for the DLC, we're now asking, "what can Sony do if MS can get people hyped for the DLC?" personally i think MS has some decent cards. advertising blitz for launch and advertising blitz again in the crucial holiday months with all footage shown coming from the DLC. slap a cool song on it and a few clips of stuff that wasn't possible in the stand-alone game (fuck, i don't know..rocket packs, UFOs, new locations....hang gliders, lol) and they should do ok. Sony can't do shit about that but they have their own arsenal of hyped games that can only be played on a PS3. i'd imagine that they are aware of the situation but are focusing on the rest of their line-up because 1) it's all they can do. and 2) they have a lot of hot shit coming. every day that i don't have a PS3 feels like i'm missing out on great games. i don't want too much of a backlog when i finally purchase one. Sony knows how to show people in my position why they need a PS3 so they'll be fine.

Philthy

greendublin said:
For true. Nobody outside of GAF knows or cares about downloadable content for GTA... at this point. If MS sells the DLC hard in advertising as a 'sequel' of sorts, that could draw in some eyes.

Baloney. The gaming public read blogs, get magazines, finds sites like these. It's not 1992 anymore where only a select few have internet access. Nearly everyone has it now, and keeps up on their hobbies more than you think. GAF isn't a super secret club of hardcore gamers, it's pretty popular and well known across all circles at this point.

beerbelly

Banned
Ok so to sum up the thread: Sony fans are comfortable with not having DLC while Xbox fans are happy that DLC is coming. Both sides are satisfied so why is this thread so big again?

VonGak!

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
You attacked me for supporting a post based on logic ^.^ Do not do this again.

This whole topic is just a cesspool for silly fanboy war like the previous "OMG how is PS3 going to survive when Halo 3 get released, it's all over I tell you".

Yes it hurts not having Halo and yes it hurts not having DLC content for GTA (which we do not even know the extend of), but they are not the ultimate weapons as some want them to be (HELLO) nor do these games/DLC suck as some tries to make it seem.

Now let's not have more these silly "how is console maker X going to counter MGS/FF/SMB/LBP/GT/" threads; Gaf is already attracting enough scum who'd rather wank to console brands than play and talk about games.

From the contest:

# Five Thousand Sixth Prizes: One-month Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
# Three Thousand Seventh Prizes: Three-month Xbox LIVE Gold subscription
# Two Thousand Eighth Prizes: One-year Xbox LIVE Gold subscription

Why do the 8th place winners get a longer Gold sub. than the 6th place.

tanod

when is my burrito
First of all, it's not like this content is going to be free and when we know what is actually in the DLC, whatever you think it should cost, it will be about $10 more than that.
People have to spend $350 to buy a 360 that can play the DLC, or alternatively $280 + $100 if they buy an arcade first.

Mainly: Free to play online.

cilonen

1) GTA4 will sell more on 360 anyway. (No I'm not betting anything on it! Given the landscape at the moment and previous big multiplat releases the completely normal outcome is for GTAIV to sell more on 360). The two versions will take spots 1 (360) & 2 (PS3) on NPD that month.

2) I don't think Sony are that bothered. Sure it's a kicker for them in the short term but it's a bigger deal on here and the internet echo chamber at large rather than out in reality.

shpankey

not an idiot
Dunlop said:
It's really going to come down to who will buy a console just for GTA IV? Those will choose to buy the 360. For anyone else the PS3 version will be "good enough" and it will come down to the functions/game Library/price
ding ding. we have a winner

ManaByte

Gold Member
tanod said:
First of all, it's not like this content is going to be free and when we know what is actually in the DLC, whatever you think it should cost, it will be about $10 more than that.
People have to spend $350 to buy a 360 that can play the DLC, or alternatively $280 + $100 if they buy an arcade first.

Mainly: Free to play online.

What? You're just pulling something out of your ass to say that the GTA4 DLC will be $10 more than other DLC? Wat?

cilonen

shpankey said:
ding ding. we have a winner

Unless there's a significant subset of 'people buying a console just for GTAIV' that are 'interested in a hi-def blu-ray player' too. Then it gets complicated.

VonGak! said:
You attacked me for supporting a post based on logic ^.^ Do not do this again.

This whole topic is just a cesspool for silly fanboy war like the previous "OMG how is PS3 going to survive when Halo 3 get released, it's all over I tell you".

Yes it hurts not having Halo and yes it hurts not having DLC content for GTA (which we do not even know the extend of), but they are not the ultimate weapons as some want them to be (HELLO) nor do these games/DLC suck as some tries to make it seem.

Now let's not have more these silly "how is console maker X going to counter MGS/FF/SMB/LBP/GT/" threads; Gaf is already attracting enough scum who'd rather wank to console brands than play and talk about games.

Sorry, I didn't "attack" you, I pointed out that making a Straw Man out of logic itself is just a silly way to go about a conversation. It's an annoying type of post that implies that the other 99.8% of GAF's readership is typing out their responses with the Silly Straws they've pushed into their nostrils.

It really has nothing to do with what console anyone supports. I've seen 360 Hedz do the same thing and it's just as annoying.

It was a comment on semantics, not console logistics. Sorry it offended you.

cilonen

ManaByte said:
What? You're just pulling something out of your ass to say that the GTA4 DLC will be $10 more than other DLC? Wat?

Nah, I think they're saying that, like GT5:prologue, take the figure you want to pay for it then add $10 to that amount.

tanod

when is my burrito
ManaByte said:

No. I'm saying that generally all major DLC or downloadable games (not specific to any console or game) is always about $5-10 more expensive than you think they should be.

DLC always tends to be less appealing after the price is finally announced.

ManaByte

Gold Member
tanod said:
No. I'm saying that generally all major DLC or downloadable games (not specific to any console or game) is always about $5-10 more expensive than you think they should be.

DLC always tends to be less appealing after the price is finally announced.

Most DLC and XBLA games are only $5-$10. Wat?

ManaByte

Gold Member
tanod said:
You missed an important adjective in my sentence: major

EDIT: What Cilonen said.

Find a $30 XBLA game or $30 DLC (expansions like Shattered Isles don't count) and then post. Thanks.

Just because PSN prices stuff like GT5 Prologue high doesn't translate to high prices on XBLA.

cilonen

ManaByte said:
Most DLC and XBLA games are only $5-$10. Wat?

It's Sod's Law (or Murphy's Law) of non-canonical content pricing. You think 'yeah, I'd pay about $14.99 for that' and it ends up being $24.99. Rule of thumb - if they can gouge you, they will.

Probably already been said but... include it on the original disk (thus, it won't be DLC) since they will not run into space restrictions.

cilonen

ManaByte said:
Find a $30 XBLA game or $30 DLC (expansions like Shattered Isles don't count) and then post. Thanks.

Hahaha. "Find anything apart from the most appropriate example to date". Shivering Isles is like the closest thing to the proposed GTAIV DLC to base any assumptions off on.

ManaByte

Gold Member
cilonen said:
Hahaha. "Find anything apart from the most appropriate example to date". Shivering Isles is like the closest thing to the proposed GTAIV DLC to base any assumptions off on.

I wasn't aware the GTA4 DLC was getting a retail release? Can you provide a link to that announcement? Shivering Isles was released both in retail and download and is more of digital distribution of a retail game than DLC.

And what if Rockstar doesn't even charge for the DLC? They've already made $50 million off it. What if MS uses that $50 million they paid Rockstar as a major marketing tool. Imagine the hype if in August everyone who has GTA4 on the 360 could download the next episode for FREE because Rockstar had already been paid for it.

tanod

when is my burrito
ManaByte said:
I wasn't aware the GTA4 DLC was getting a retail release? Can you provide a link to that announcement? Shivering Isles was released both in retail and download and is more of digital distribution of a retail game than DLC.

And what if Rockstar doesn't even charge for the DLC? They've already made $50 million off it. What if MS uses that $50 million they paid Rockstar as a major marketing tool. Imagine the hype if in August everyone who has GTA4 on the 360 could download the next episode for FREE because Rockstar had already been paid for it.

I'm pretty sure that 50 million was an advance on purchase royalties. Besides that point: thinking that it has anything other than a snowball's chance in hell of being free is absurd.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
DemDereNads said:
Probably already been said but... include it on the original disk (thus, it won't be DLC) since they will not run into space restrictions.

Which part of exclusive content is hard to understand? Exclusive or content? I mean, it's gone beyond just saying the DLC is exclusive, they've both said the content is. You could just stop fighting it so much and either a) choose to buy it on 360 and get the DLC OR b) buy it on the PS3 and be perfectly happy with the tons of joy the regular game brings.

I guess when you don't understand the difference between price fixing and making a profit, this could be a hard concept to grasp.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
tanod said:
I'm pretty sure that 50 million was an advance on purchase royalties. Besides that point: thinking that it has a snowball's chance of being free is absurd.

You would be correct. This has been said so many times, it should be in the OP of any GTA thread so people MIGHT finally understand it.

squatingyeti said:
Which part of exclusive content is hard to understand? Exclusive or content? I mean, it's gone beyond just saying the DLC is exclusive, they've both said the content is. You could just stop fighting it so much and either a) choose to buy it on 360 and get the DLC OR b) buy it on the PS3 and be perfectly happy with the tons of joy the regular game brings.

I guess when you don't understand the difference between price fixing and making a profit, this could be a hard concept to grasp.

Cry more please - This thread is hard to take serious as is. And I already own a 360, and a PS3.

Top Bottom