• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what can sony do to counteract the 360 gta4 dlc exclusive?

DKehoe

Hope that people still think of GTA as a Playstation franchise and that most people aren't ready for/don't want DLC.

cilonen

ManaByte said:
I wasn't aware the GTA4 DLC was getting a retail release? Can you provide a link to that announcement? Shivering Isles was released both in retail and download and is more of digital distribution of a retail game than DLC.

And what if Rockstar doesn't even charge for the DLC? They've already made $50 million off it. What if MS uses that $50 million they paid Rockstar as a major marketing tool. Imagine the hype if in August everyone who has GTA4 on the 360 could download the next episode for FREE because Rockstar had already been paid for it.

It was posted in Take Two's last SEC filing as 'deferred revenue'. They'll be charging for it, MS are expecting $70 Million total sales to recoup the payment and generate a profit.

http://texyt.com/Microsoft+pays+$50m+for+GTA+4+episodes+00111

IMO, this will be exactly like Shivering Isles, the exclusivity of it to 360 just means you won;t need to bother with the boxed expansion pack for PC. Or did SI come in an X360 physical boxed retail add-on ?

Am I the only one genuinely excited for the DLC?

There's nothing like the excitement of a new GTA (just read any message board right now and you'll find a 1000 page thread of news updates on the slightest rumour about the game), and I am itching to not only get the game but do it all again later in the year when the DLC is released.

It's more GTA! That's brilliant!

(As for the thread question: Sony can't counteract it. We don't know exactly what the marketing for the game will be, although we can make an educated guess that it will enormous and heavily skewed towards 360, and until we do we can't really make a judgement. It's in Microsoft's hands really. If they push it in every advert that the only complete GTA experience is on their console and it catches on with people then they will gain the upperhand and Sony can't do anything about it. The real effect will be felt this Christmas as Microsoft get a second bite by pushing the DLC itself. If consumers don't get the message, or decide it's no big deal then Microsoft lose out. It's Microsoft's game for the winning, and Sony just have to try their best to carry on and hit back when they have the cards.)

(Apologies for butchering about 8 metaphors in that paragraph.)

ManaByte said:
And what if Rockstar doesn't even charge for the DLC?
Why would they give away something for free when the customers already paid for the product. It makes no sense at all. This isn't charity. They are going to take whatever price they think their fans are willing to pay. Cilonen and tanod are probably right.

ManaByte

Gold Member
cilonen said:
It was posted in Take Two's last SEC filing as 'deferred revenue'. They'll be charging for it, MS are expecting $70 Million total sales to recoup the payment and generate a profit.

http://texyt.com/Microsoft+pays+$50m+for+GTA+4+episodes+00111

IMO, this will be exactly like Shivering Isles, the exclusivity of it to 360 just means you won;t need to bother with the boxed expansion pack for PC. Or did SI come in an X360 physical boxed retail add-on ?

SI came in a physical boxed retail add-on.
51oSOjr1bEL._SS400_.jpg

rune_74

Neo Member
beerbelly said:
Ok so to sum up the thread: Sony fans are comfortable with not having DLC while Xbox fans are happy that DLC is coming. Both sides are satisfied so why is this thread so big again?

The only reason they are comfortable is because they already own/ don't have a choice in the matter....serioulsy if you could add to the game or could not add to the game...why would you choose the later?

Luckyman

Banned
GTA4 MAJOR DLC better be atleast Shivering Isles size. Remember, MS is talking about San Andreas and Vice City being essentially episodes for GTA3. :lol

rune_74

Neo Member
Sort of off topic ---
With take 2 technically on the market right now and EA with its sharks teeth out and other companies circling this whole situation could change oer night. Just imagine if Microsoft or Sony purchased take 2? Now that would be a megaton.

On Topic

How anyone can see the downloadable content is bad is beyond me....if it costs money and you don't wanna pay for it then don't but if you do then great its there....I would rather have a choice then none at all personally.

tanod

when is my burrito
cilonen said:
Well bugger me sideways :lol

I knew this but chew on this tidbit:

Marketplace release: March 26, 2007.
Retail release: October 16, 2007

Despite manabyte's efforts to prove otherwise, it is still a completely valid comparison to GTA4's DLC.

rune_74 said:
The only reason they are comfortable is because they already own/ don't have a choice in the matter....serioulsy if you could add to the game or could not add to the game...why would you choose the later?

Because playing GTAIV is in all probability not the only thing people will be utilizing their console for, not to mention the question of how much this optional, perhaps costly, DLC is really going to 'add' to the game experience

rune_74

Neo Member
TheIroning said:
Because playing GTAIV is in all probability not the only thing people will be utilizing their console for, not to mention the question of how much this optional, perhaps costly, DLC is really going to 'add' to the game experience

Even if it adds anything at all it will be more then the PS3 version will have, cost is up in the air at the moment so its not a factor. Its a choice thatthe PS3 version does not offer so its a superior option on the 360. Yes there are other factors involved when buying a console (like other games....). But my point still stands how is downloadable extra content bad?

ManaByte

Gold Member
DeadGzuz said:
So the only real DLC to compare it to doesn't count? Wow...

1. Shattered Isles was not exclusive. It was on PS3 (in the GOTY re-release) and PC as well.
2. The GTA DLC is not getting a retail release, SI did.

Dabanton

cultofweaver said:
Am I the only one genuinely excited for the DLC?

There's nothing like the excitement of a new GTA (just read any message board right now and you'll find a 1000 page thread of news updates on the slightest rumour about the game), and I am itching to not only get the game but do it all again later in the year when the DLC is released.

No am excited by it, especially if it will be more story led things or a new land mass an online GTA that is always periodically updating with bits and pieces will be immense.

That's why i can't understand the apathy of certain posters R* puts all this work into making these brilliant characters and all they say is "i only drive around and shoot things and not do missions" or it's "The content won't matter, it’s only going to be a new suit or a car."

R* have made clear it's desire to embrace and push DLC in future GTA’s so you boys better get used to it.

I will be their day one for the content.

Even if it turns out to be a suit.:D

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
DemDereNads said:
Cry more please - This thread is hard to take serious as is. And I already own a 360, and a PS3.

Then please do explain why the hell you're crying about the PS3 not getting the exclusive content? Like I said, you have two options:

a) buy the game on 360 and enjoy the extra DLC
B) buy the game on PS3 and enjoy the regular game

You're the one having trouble understanding what exclusive content means. However, you've had trouble understanding other concepts before.

skulpt

I say make PS3 owners able to customize their GTA4 apartments using Home. Have GTA4 themed Home stuff, and instead of having just radio stations, also have GTA4 TV stations as well that once again is integrated into Home.

Brian

rune_74

Neo Member
Its a little odd that the way to discredit the content is to say its going to cost 30 dollars when:

a) There is no news of cost.
b) No idea even of what it is...

If its a huge expansion how much would someone be willing to pay? I guess that would depend on the person. You have to admit that more content is good, there is just no denying that...to shrug it off as too xpensive already screams as desperation to descredit it.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
sajj316 said:
I personally am not crying over the lack of 360 specific DLC on my PS3. I will be getting the PS3 version of GTAIV. I will not moan, cry, and b*tch over this.
Right, OK. Fair enough.
I do believe that we will have some sort of content through the PSN after release.
*sigh* Here we go again...
It will come at cost and I might pay for it but I also believe that it will come at a lower cost than what MS might charge for a DLC pack. $20.00 anyone? Pure speculation on my part but how else will MS recoupe the money spent on exclusivity + ensure Rockstar gets a decent portion of the profits.
You don't get it do you?

cilonen

ManaByte said:
1. Shattered Isles was not exclusive. It was on PS3 (in the GOTY re-release) and PC as well.
2. The GTA DLC is not getting a retail release, SI did.

Semantics aside, in terms of content and the pricing thereof - it's the closest we have to approximate to. Smaller than a full game; bigger than just new costumes & weapons.

rune_74

Neo Member
cilonen said:
Semantics aside, in terms of content and the pricing thereof - it's the closest we have to approximate to. Smaller than a full game; bigger than just new costumes & weapons.

See my above post, at the moment that seems like grasping at straws.

squatingyeti said:
Then please do explain why the hell you're crying about the PS3 not getting the exclusive content? Like I said, you have two options:

a) buy the game on 360 and enjoy the extra DLC
B) buy the game on PS3 and enjoy the regular game

You're the one having trouble understanding what exclusive content means. However, you've had trouble understanding other concepts before.

I'm not "crying" I simply posted what I could think of for a silly thread. You see, if it's on the disc, it's no longer DLC. Get it? Huh?

Bring the emo down a notch or two gaming pal.

Even if the DLC sells for $30, how much of that goes to Microsoft? 50%? 30%? Assuming MS will get $15 per $30 download, that's nearly 4.7 million downloads that'll need to be bought to break even on the $70 million investment.

cilonen

_leech_ said:
Even if the DLC sells for $30, how much of that goes to Microsoft? 50%? 30%? Assuming MS will get $15 per $30 download, that's nearly 4.7 million downloads that'll need to be bought to break even on the $70 million investment.

30% if the analyst breakdown I posted up this page a bit is to be believed - their math sees a little odd though.

3rdman

DemDereNads said:
Probably already been said but... include it on the original disk (thus, it won't be DLC) since they will not run into space restrictions.
LOL. Yeah, I'm sure Microsoft (the company that shoveled out 50 million bucks) would have no problem with that. This isn't a playground..."I sweared with my finger's crossed so it doesn't count" won't work in a court room.

sprocket said:
Ok just to make sure I am caught up.

So far we have....

- DLC that sony is suppose to counter act but no one knows what it is. :/

- RROD old and not a problem anymore.

- References to PS2 DREs as if on the same level of the RRODs

- GT5pro and HSG5 do not count.

- same old 360 fanboys patting each other on the back posts.

Did I miss anything?
:lol

console warriors!!!!!

tanod

when is my burrito
rune_74 said:
Its a little odd that the way to discredit the content is to say its going to cost 30 dollars when:

a) There is no news of cost.
b) No idea even of what it is...

It's equally odd to argue that it's a selling point worth counter-acting given these two factors.

DangerStepp

knee said:
The game is 100 freaking hours long. There is no need to counteract the DLC. :lol
You think there will be collectables and whatnot in the form of those little briefcases strewn about the city? If so, that would be awesome.

beerbelly

Banned
sprocket said:
Ok just to make sure I am caught up.

So far we have....

- DLC that sony is suppose to counter act but no one knows what it is. :/

- RROD old and not a problem anymore.

- References to PS2 DREs as if on the same level of the RRODs

- GT5pro and HSG5 do not count.

- same old 360 fanboys patting each other on the back posts.

Did I miss anything?

The other half of the arguments, which are equally pathetic.

On a serious note, as someone who owns both, as I'm sure you all care dearly :lol

For me personally, when it comes to multi-console games, I typically go for the PS3 version unless it's vastly inferior, such as Assassin's Creed. If they games are pretty much the same, I go for the PS3 version, because I try to limit my 360 use as the thing is pretty much on a timer to break. In this case, I would probably go PS3 because I care about the life of my 360 more than I care about extra content for a game I probably would never get.

I've never beaten a GTA game because I'm stricken with ADD and cannot stop running people over, and fighting the military, so most likely wouldn't get the extra content. That's just me though, I know many people actually beat the game, and would love additional content, and this looks like the typical 360 version is superior.

Edit: Oh ya, not to mention I'll gamefly this, and buying DLC for a game you don't own seems like a bad idea.

tanod

when is my burrito
I own both a 360 and a PS3 too but if I pick it up, it'll be for PS3 because of free online MP and hardware issues. It took me 3 years to 100% GTA3 and I haven't been able to 100% either of the other ones yet. I will never ever have a need for the GTA4 DLC on the 360.

rune_74 said:
Even if it adds anything at all it will be more then the PS3 version will have, cost is up in the air at the moment so its not a factor. Its a choice thatthe PS3 version does not offer so its a superior option on the 360. Yes there are other factors involved when buying a console (like other games....). But my point still stands how is downloadable extra content bad?

It isn't, since you aren't forced to buy it. Who is saying that optional extra content is bad? Not that I have read this entire thread..

The verdict on which version is inherently better would also be dependent on whether one considers noise pollution and reliability issues as significant factors

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
DemDereNads said:
I'm not "crying" I simply posted what I could think of for a silly thread. You see, if it's on the disc, it's no longer DLC. Get it? Huh?

Bring the emo down a notch or two gaming pal.

Just like the other thread, someone calls you out on your stupid statement, you turn to the "why's everyone so serious. calm down. I'm not being serious, etc." You posted the disc comment because.....whatever, I reread that other thread and decided I'm wasting my time.

squatingyeti said:
Just like the other thread, someone calls you out on your stupid statement, you turn to the "why's everyone so serious. calm down. I'm not being serious, etc." You posted the disc comment because.....whatever, I reread that other thread and decided I'm wasting my time.

You are right my emo friend... you are so elite for knowing what the word "exclusive" means. Congrats... let me give you a virtual pat on the back.

sprocket

Banned
DemDereNads said:
You are right my emo friend... you are so elite for knowing what the word "exclusive" means. Congrats... let me give you a virtual pat on the back.

Pay no mind to him. There is no such thing as EXCLUSIVE now days. How many "ONLY ON"s have come and gone this gen already.

For all we know MS paid a shit load of money JUST for the game to be released on the 360 at the same time ..in the first place.

rune_74

Neo Member
sprocket said:
Pay no mind to him. There is no such thing as EXCLUSIVE now days. How many "ONLY ON"s have come and gone this gen already.

For all we know MS paid a shit load of money JUST for the game to be released on the 360 at the same time ..in the first place.

Actually since ts been running onthe 360 longer then the ps3 and is further in development I think we can put that to rest.

Walshicus

picsou said:
what can ms do to outsell sony in europe?
Price drop for we nords; price drop and better advertisement for the alpines; price drop, better advertisement and insinuations of homosexuality toward Sony brand purchasers for the mediterraneans.

Mooreberg

The game is going to sell a lot more on 360 in the US, there is nothing that Sony can do about that. I could see the DLC backfiring if the prices are outrageous, but by then they will have already sold the retail copies. They lost this battle, better to just focus on pushing PS3 as a whole, especially now that HD-DVD is a corpse in a dumpster.

Top Bottom