• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what can sony do to counteract the 360 gta4 dlc exclusive?

ZeoVGM

Banned
_leech_ said:
The lowest selling MGS game still sold 5 million copies. Isn't Gears at 4 million?

What you just said makes Gears look even more impressive, when you look at the install bases for the corresponding consoles.

Paracelsus said:
Can you say the same about the DLC?

Can you say what exactly?

That most people don't know about it?

I agree with that. I already said it's really only a factor to people like us, who know about gaming shit.

beerbelly

Banned
_leech_ said:
The lowest selling MGS game still sold 5 million copies. Isn't Gears at 4 million?

Bigger user base. I believe over 24 million PS2's were shipped worldwide by the end of 2001, when MGS2 was released. MGS1 was released when PS1 pretty much had like 50 million+...etc etc 10 million 360's were shipped when Gears released end of 2006.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Firewire said:
All Sony has to do is advertise the shit out of MGS4 & GT5P.

And OMG rite you're fanboy is showing!

Yeah man, good logic.

I'm such a fanboy. Paying off MGS4 in full, planning to move it over to the PS3 bundle SKU when it pops up in the system, getting that bundle on day one.

But I'm a fanboy because I'm making logical statements that go AGAINST a certain system, while you get proven wrong (Wollan making sense earlier and trying to pretend he didn't edit) and ignore it.

Don't call me a fucking fanboy. I pick no sides. I'm adding to a conversation with logic that other people DO agree with and you're just replying with bad grammar.

Euphor!a

Banned
beerbelly said:
Bigger user base. I believe over 24 million PS2's were shipped worldwide by the end of 2001, when MGS2 was released. MGS1 was released when PS1 pretty much had like 50 million+...etc etc 10 million 360's were shipped when Gears released end of 2006.

I'm pretty sure the userbase argument isn't valid, if it was MGS sales wouldn't decrease with each iteration of the series.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
People still doubting Microsoft's marketing power? Competitors are just going to have to sit back and watch the show. They are going to throw Halo 3 marketing money at this. There isn't shit one can do...except sit back and watch the show.

Euphor!a said:
I'm pretty sure the userbase argument isn't valid, if it was MGS sales wouldn't decrease with each iteration of the series.

Different generations, different games rise to the forefront. Gears was just two years ago and it is still one of the most played games on the console. Hell, I'd still play multi if the netcode was proper. It's wide open for Gears to destroy what it did previously.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
People still doubting Microsoft's marketing power? Competitors are just going to have to sit back and watch the show. They are going to throw Halo 3 marketing money at this. There isn't shit one can do...except sit back and watch the show.

Really, no matter what other facts/opinions myself and others throw into this debate, what Beezy here just said is all that matters.

Zertez

There is not much Sony can do at this point. They lost out big and MS will beat in everyones mind in the US, that the 360 will see the superior version of GTA4. The content of the episodes does not matter much at this time for sales; MS will have more GTA4 content in the foreseeable future and they will make sure all GTA fans know it.

MS fails in more than a few categories, but advertising is not one of them. MS will put out a great ad campaign with the 360 logo tack onto the end of every ad. A price drop will seal the deal in the US. Best Sony can hope for is GTA4 will be a lackluster game and not as great as many as saying. I think Sony is looking for ways to gain the momentum back after the GTA4 launch, than trying to find ways to compete with MS on the GTA4 launch. Releasing early information on MGS bundles is part of the strategy, I wouldnt be surprised to see some big bombshells about future PS exclusives titles around GTA4 launch as well. Unless there is a huge difference in performance between the two, I dont see how Sony can hang with MS for this release.

Agent Icebeezy

Zertez said:
There is not much Sony can do at this point. They lost out big and MS will beat in everyones mind in the US, that the 360 will see the superior version of GTA4. The content of the episodes does not matter much at this time for sales; MS will have more GTA4 content in the foreseeable future and they will make sure all GTA fans know it.

MS fails in more than a few categories, but advertising is not one of them. MS will put out a great ad campaign with the 360 logo tack onto the end of every ad. A price drop will seal the deal in the US. Best Sony can hope for is GTA4 will be a lackluster game and not as great as many as saying. I think Sony is looking for ways to gain the momentum back after the GTA4 launch, than trying to find ways to compete with MS on the GTA4 launch. Releasing early information on MGS bundles is part of the strategy, I wouldnt be surprised to see some big bombshells about future PS exclusives titles around GTA4 launch as well. Unless there is a huge difference in performance between the two, I dont see how Sony can hang with MS for this release.

Announcing bundles this early was a pre-emptive move. I wondered if Microsoft might bundle GTA4, but with how they talk about it, plus this move by Sony makes a bundle seem likely.

frAntic_Frog said:
sony probably didnt think spending $50 million on dlc was worth selling several hundred thousand copies more than 360's version

It's not about games with this, its about consoles sold. Microsoft will be using GTA4 to push 360s

Firewire

Banned
omg rite said:
Yeah man, good logic.

I'm such a fanboy. Paying off MGS4 in full, planning to move it over to the PS3 bundle SKU when it pops up in the system, getting that bundle on day one.

But I'm a fanboy because I'm making logical statements that go AGAINST a certain system, while you get proven wrong (Wollan making sense earlier) and ignore it.

Don't call me a fucking fanboy. I pick no sides. I'm adding to a conversation with logic that other people DO agree with and you're just replying with bad grammar.
funny there isn't much logic in you're statements, just fanboy talk.

picsou

Banned
omg rite said:
Yeah man, good logic.

But I'm a fanboy because I'm making logical statements that go AGAINST a certain system, while you get proven wrong (Wollan making sense earlier) and ignore it.

do you really think people will buy a 360 for GTA and after buy a ps3 for MGS 4 and GT5 ? or mgs and gt fans already have a ps3?

Zertez said:
They lost out big and MS will beat in everyones mind in the US, that the 360 will see the superior version of GTA4.

oh.the.drama.

no dlc for ps3????? WHAT WILL WE EVER DO?

please gimme a fkin break....i really doubt people will be cryin blood over some dlc content. now if gta4 had been exclusive or vastly inferior on ps3 then you might have a point, but as it stands, its really non-issue for many

Uncooked

Banned
McLovin said:
All I know is that I can't think of a single person that I know in RL who would know what DLC was. Well.. maybe my brother would know but thats about it.

I am sorry you live in an area with an abnormally low average intelligence. If someone doesn't understand the words downloadable content they aren't very smart.

justjohn

lol the ps3 survived the halo 3 and gears onslaught. i think they will survive this. not to mention the european and japanes ps3 versions will easily outsell the 360 version. they have nothing to worry about.
and by the way some of you need to drop the whole 'i own this console so i couldnt possibly be a fanboy'' crap. for god sake even kittonwy has a 360 :lol

omg rite said:
Yeah man, good logic.

But I'm a fanboy because I'm making logical statements that go AGAINST a certain system, while you get proven wrong (Wollan making sense earlier and trying to pretend he didn't edit) and ignore it.

*Sets up a tent for him back in the off topic forum.* Get your ass back in there RIGHT THE FUCK NOW.

Uncooked

Banned
picsou said:
do you really think people will buy a 360 for GTA and after buy a ps3 for MGS 4 and GT5 ? or mgs and gt fans already have a ps3?

Maybe not everyone who likes GTA4 likes MGS4 and GT5?

El-Suave

I think GTA 4 being "better" on 360 would have hurt Sony much more on the hardware front had the game been released during the holiday season.
I'm not sure mid year is console buying season for the more casual GTA fan.

womfalcs3

Banned
[THREAD]

TTP said:
Avarage GTA player doesn't care about DLC.

One might wonder what's stronger: the Playstation brand (I'm pretty sure most GTA players have come to know it on the PlayStation) or the DLC thing (which I think will basically even up the brand advantage Sony has and nothing more).

/THREAD]

Now if the DLC was free... I think it would matter.

Zertez

Agent Icebeezy said:
Announcing bundles this early was a pre-emptive move.
No doubt, but I look at it more as move to divert attention away from GTA4 than trying to compete with MS at the GTA4 launch. I think each systems past library and future library of games will have some play in consumers minds, but I dont think it will matter as much as having the superior version of GTA4. If people have waited for GTA to be released to make a choice between the two, why would they pick the version with less content? People buying a system mainly for GTA will want the best version and as of right now MS seems to have it.

Wollan

Agent Icebeezy said:
It's not about games with this, its about consoles sold. Microsoft will be using GTA4 to push 360s
How do you think they will fare worldwide in regards to that?
I personaly believe, there will be sold more PS3's in Europe than any combination of consoles/continent in regards to the release of GTA4. Ecspecially considering Sony will start bundling the PS3 with GT5P from the end of this month and for the next couple of months (same price as standalone unit). Gran Turismo & GTA, that's two of the three biggest console franchises in Europe (the third one being SingStar).

Agent Icebeezy

Uncooked said:
Also, since when did Casual gamer=complete idiot?

That is how a lot of people on GAF like to think. We know that isn't so as conversation on the boards rarely mimic the conversations I have in Gamestop. Fact is, most people haven't jumped into next-gen yet. GTA4 is probably going to be the best selling game of this generation. What a way to bring in the next gen with GTA fucking 4. Just the promise of one being better or more complete than the other is all one needs to go to the 360 version. Not to mention, Microsoft marketing money and muscle behind it. I'm sure New Yorkers remember how Microsoft plastered Madden 08 everywhere, that is the bare minimum this time.

Kafel

Banned
He Wants Chalupas said:
...Hasn't it already been confirmed that Sony gave up timed exclusivity of GTAIV in exchange for the sole rights to some new R* property?

lol

where do you put the 50 million dollar in the equation ?

vpance

Didn't Sony or Phil kind of hint they had an arrangement with Rockstar for GTA as well? Or am I thinking of the exclusive Rockstar Sony game.

lynux3

Why are people talking as if Grand Theft Auto IV isn't going to sell on PlayStation 3?

I am more interested in seeing how Microsoft can make Grand Theft Auto IV an "Xbox 360" game like some of you guys are saying. The general consensus was that Grand Theft Auto is a PlayStation game, so how is Microsoft going to battle that? Not everyone pays attention to the gaming industry as close as GAF does.

McLovin

omg rite said:
- If someone already has a 360, they're not going to buy a PS3 for GTA. And currently 360 has the obvious install base lead.
Umm.. duh who would argue that? But I think its more about the 100+million ps2 owners that haven't hopped on the next gen bandwagon. I big chunk of them are waiting for mgs4 and gta4 and so on. I would say that more then 80% probably have no idea what DLC is.

SRG01

Zertez said:

Spot on. Sony can't do much with the advertising angle because the contractual obligations and deals were most likely made months ago.

MS is an advertising monster. Expect GTA4 to be the #1 pre-summer game.

lynux3 said:
Why are people talking as if Grand Theft Auto IV isn't going to sell on PlayStation 3?

I am more interested in seeing how Microsoft can make Grand Theft Auto IV an "Xbox 360" game like some of you guys are saying. The general consensus was that Grand Theft Auto is a PlayStation game, so how is Microsoft going to battle that? Not everyone pays attention to the gaming industry as close as GAF does.

Advertising.

I don't understand where these "X game is Y platform game" arguements come from. Hell, didn't DMC4 sell better on the 360 compared to the PS3 in North America? People follow the games, not the platforms.

Dante

lynux3 said:

Apparently by advertising DLC on TV commercials, which I don't think has ever been done.

Ariexv

itsgreen said:
Sony doesn't have a thing to worry about

The general population doesnt even know it is coming to 360.

A friend of mine earlier today, after I showed him my new PS3:
he: "Plays blu-rays right? Thinking about it since GTA is coming soon"
me: "Well I would still recommend 360 to anyone, and GTA is coming to that also"
he: "Really?"
Pretty sure when it gets close to GTA time Microsoft will make sure the General population knows.

Yes but that was also on the Ps2..... For it to pull in it's numbers from the last few games something like 50% of Ps3 owners would have to buy the game. Do you really think that's going to happen?

J2 Cool

Isn't Gran Turismo a top 5 selling franchise worldwide all-time? If we're talking sales, it's still a huge draw even if you're not a fan. Anyway, MGS4 will sell huge. Installed userbase has some say, but it is a system pusher. It has a lot more buzz than MGS3 did also, which took some hit from MGS2's dissapointment to some fans. I don't think the series is on a downslope in any way.

Anyway, I think if I was Sony, I would look to get some big previews of what's to come out. If you can push MGS4 and GT5 Prologue now, bundled with systems, then push some other beloved franchises - you create a ton of buzz. Namely FFXIII, Team ICO's next game, God of War PS3, Resistance 2, Killzone 2, Home, Little Big Planet. That hits everything from RPG through platformer.

You absolutely have to advertise GTAIV though as well. You can't give up the perception of being fully in support of the series, just to save some temporary bucks on advertising. It's a pretty interesting time. Sony has a lot of cards to play, and can make up for a lot of fumbles this gen if they do it right.

Zzoram

Sony doesn't need to do anything to counter the 360 exclusive DLC for GTAIV. The reason Microsoft HAD to do it was because GTA is still largely associated with Playstation. If they didn't do SOMETHING to draw attention to the fact that GTAIV is coming out for Xbox 360 at the same time, they could've missed out on converting a lot of PS2 owners.

lynux3 said:

Yeah, GTA has never been a Playstation franchise since it's every version has been multiplatform. Well, Liberty City Stories I think was the only one that wasn't but that is a PSP port.

Uncooked

Banned
lynux3 said:

Umm...what? It is just like with Madden, it was on Playstation way before it was ever on XBOX, and look how it turned out. Most people who aren't idiots know what games are coming out for what system, and Microsoft will advertise the exclusive content like crazy, it won't be a problem I don't think.

McLovin said:
Umm.. duh who would argue that? But I think its more about the 100+million ps2 owners that haven't hopped on the next gen bandwagon. I big chunk of them are waiting for mgs4 and gta4 and so on. I would say that more then 80% probably have no idea what DLC is.

Just because you owned a PS2 doesn't mean you are going to buy a PS3, as everyone I know had a PS2 yet most own a 360 now and only one owns a PS3. Once again, are you saying 80 million video gamers don't know what downloadable content is? Why do you think everyone who doesn't post here is stupid?

Agent Icebeezy

Wollan said:
How do you think they will fare worldwide in regards to that?
I personaly believe, there will be sold more PS3's in Europe than any combination of consoles/continent in regards to the release of GTA4. Ecspecially considering Sony will start bundling the PS3 with GT5P from the end of this month and for the next couple of months. Gran Turismo & GTA, that's two of the three biggest console franchises in Europe (the third one being SingStar).

Microsoft needs to develop a clue in the Euro region before they can hope to begin to compete again.

In America, just the idea of having more is all America needs. In Europe, I have no clue what Microsoft can do, for good or worse. As far as Sony titles, only one franchise is entitled to look back at past sales as an indicator for the future and that is Gran Turismo. Everything else is all bets off. Then again, are these many people going to bite for a Prologue and not the real thing? I'm sure people will, but I'm not sure how many.

Above all, it comes to what is in the downloadable content. If it is really substantial, that will really benefit Microsoft. If it is margin, then Microsoft got taken for a ride, but since 50 million is the cost of two AAA games this gen, I'm going to have to go with the substantial route.

SRG01

Agent Icebeezy said:
Microsoft needs to develop a clue in the Euro region before they can hope to begin to compete again.

In America, just the idea of having more is all America needs. In Europe, I have no clue what Microsoft can do, for good or worse. As far as Sony titles, only one franchise is entitled to look back at past sales as an indicator for the future and that is Gran Turismo. Everything else is all bets off. Then again, are these many people going to bite for a Prologue and not the real thing? I'm sure people will, but I'm not sure how many.

Above all, it comes to what is in the downloadable content. If it is really substantial, that will really benefit Microsoft. If it is margin, then Microsoft got taken for a ride, but since 50 million is the cost of two AAA games this gen, I'm going to have to go with the substantial route.

Granted, the general lackluster sales for the 360 in Europe has less to do with the platform and more to do with cultural/regional feelings towards Microsoft.

Top Bottom