• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

what can sony do to counteract the 360 gta4 dlc exclusive?

lynux3

OldJadedGamer said:
Yeah, GTA has never been a Playstation franchise since it's every version has been multiplatform. Well, Liberty City Stories I think was the only one that wasn't but that is a PSP port.

It has never been a PlayStation franchise, but I think PlayStation has helped a lot with Grand Theft Auto's success and vice versa.

McLovin

Uncooked said:
Just because you owned a PS2 doesn't mean you are going to buy a PS3, as everyone I know had a PS2 yet most own a 360 now and only one owns a PS3. Once again, are you saying 80 million video gamers don't know what downloadable content is? Why do you think everyone who doesn't post here is stupid?
True but if they haven't gotten a 360 yet.. then they are obviously waiting on something. You think they would pass on gears and halo just for gta4? Also not knowing what DLC is does not mean they are stupid. It means they have a lack of knowledge on the subject.. which makes them ignorant. Ignorant!=stupid. And yes I would guess that 80% if not more are ignorant on the subject.

Opiate

Oblivion said:
What? MGS3 is a bit under 4 mil last I heard.

This was my understanding. I believe MGS3 sold almost exactly 4 million, while Gears 1 is pushing 5 million on a smaller user base.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? I still think MGS4 will be bigger simply because it's being pushed as a keystone exclusive now, instead of being one of many major exclusives in a short time span, which was the fate of MGS3 -- so I'm not necessarily arguing "Gears of War 2 > Metal Gear Solid 4" -- but I'm still fairly certain that the last iteration of Gears of War outsold the last iteration of Metal Gear Solid.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
McLovin said:
True but if they haven't gotten a 360 yet.. then they are obviously waiting on something. You think they would pass on gears and halo just for gta4?

I know people that only own GTA, it's like Guitar Hero and Madden in that regard. Over the pond, I'm sure that there are people that just get Fifa or Winning Eleven. Outside of that, the price. 80% of the PS2's sales came at 199.99. The economy is fubar'd for a lot of folks as well. A lot of people don't have their money right. My nephews and brother in law would love to have a 360, can't afford it though.

Woo-Fu

Banned
IMHO, once people see the pricetag on that DLC Sony will not be needing to do anything to counteract it.

Uncooked

Banned
McLovin said:
True but if they haven't gotten a 360 yet.. then they are obviously waiting on something. You think they would pass on gears and halo just for gta4?

So people only buy 360 for Gears and Halo now? I guess 360 sales are going to drop to zero now, and Microsoft will pack up the gaming division, right?

I actually do know someone who doesn't like gears or halo and is waiting for GTA4 to buy a 360, there is a chance he isn't the only person in the world who isn't doing the same thing.

le.phat

i dont get the whole 'ms will market the crap out of gta' arguement some of you people are throwing around here. unlike both halo and gears this game will be multiplat from day one. heavy marketing means gta4 buzz, something both platforms will profit from. there isn't a casual in the world dumb enough to miss any and all gta4 on ps3 advertisihg.

Ariexv

McLovin said:
Umm.. duh who would argue that? But I think its more about the 100+million ps2 owners that haven't hopped on the next gen bandwagon. I big chunk of them are waiting for mgs4 and gta4 and so on. I would say that more then 80% probably have no idea what DLC is.
Out of those 100 million how many bought MGS? the top selling MGS was what 7 million? I seriously doubt that is THE game they're waiting for.....GTA however had 3 games selling what? 15 million, 13 million and 20 million? MGS just isn't as huge as people make it out to be compared to GTA it will probly effect a few sales here and there but overall? probly relatively little impact.

The other one big thing I don't think most people are getting is..... the DLC is $50 million dollars worth, do you think it's going to be something like Side Missions? Or something on the scale of a New city/Island/Borough? From what everyone seems to be saying is the $50 million is a loan that R* has to pay back if the DLC doesn't make that back, makes it seem like to me that the DLC is going to be amazing, and might even see a release in disk form only for the 360.

Uncooked

Banned
Woo-Fu said:
IMHO, once people see the pricetag on that DLC Sony will not be needing to do anything to counteract it.

Right, because since GTA really isn't a huge franchise, and people generally don't seek extra content for such small games that only appeal to a handful of hardcore gamers, right?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Opiate said:
Can anyone confirm or deny this? I still think MGS4 will be bigger simply because it's being pushed as a keystone exclusive now, instead of being one of many major exclusives in a short time span, which was the fate of MGS3 -- .

I wouldn't even go that far. We've seen a bunch of previous heavy hitters on PS2 turn out to do utterly terrible on PS3, such as VF5.

Uncooked

Banned
le.phat said:
i dont get the whole 'ms will market the crap out of gta' arguement some of you people are throwing around here. unlike both halo and gears this game will be multiplat from day one. heavy marketing means gta4 buzz, something both platforms will profit from. there isn't a casual in the world dumb enough to miss any and all gta4 on ps3 advertisihg.

Because when your product has a distinct advantage such as the possibility of playing two additional episodes, you kind of want to put that out there to help people decide which version to buy.

Piper Az

Reilly said:
Do we know if GTA4 is on one disc or two yet?

Why the hell would GTA IV be in two discs????

This thread went south as soon as Sony apologists tried to paint the GTA IV DLC as a "no big deal" to EVERYONE...and brought GT5P and MGS4 to the discussion (are those the answer to everything now???:lol )

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i don't know -- spend their money in sane ways? $50 million probably covered a couple of those exclusive games that make ps3's 08 lineup more attractive than 360's

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Oblivion said:
I wouldn't even go that far. We've seen a bunch of previous heavy hitters on PS2 turn out to do utterly terrible on PS3, such as VF5.
As if VF has the pull of an MGS, get real.

McLovin

Uncooked said:
So people only buy 360 for Gears and Halo now? I guess 360 sales are going to drop to zero now, and Microsoft will pack up the gaming division, right?

I actually do know someone who doesn't like gears or halo and is waiting for GTA4 to buy a 360, there is a chance he isn't the only person in the world who isn't doing the same thing.
Look stop trying to twist my words. Do you remember what the thread subject is about? Does sony have to do anything to counter 360's DLC? No they don't. You're trying to say that most people care about DLC that much that they are going to base their system purchase on that alone? And as far as Gears and Halo goes I think they attract more users then GTA. Especially with all the negative press on GTA. If they wanted a 360 they got it for those games. Sure some people are waiting for GTA IV DLC but they are the minority.

Ariexv

drohne said:
i don't know -- spend their money in sane ways? $50 million probably covered a couple of those exclusive games that make ps3's 08 lineup more attractive than 360's
We're talking about Microsoft and $50 million... I'm sure if there was any big exclusives they could get this year that they wanted they could still easily be able to afford it, but most the Ps3 big exclusives this year are made by Ps3 companies.... so MS wouldn't be able to buy them if they wanted to, and I'm pretty sure there is any 3rd party games that are on the line about what system to go exclusive to that can even compete with GTA Iv's Left nutsack much less 2 exclusive episode downloads.

Zertez

frAntic_Frog said:
oh.the.drama.

no dlc for ps3????? WHAT WILL WE EVER DO?

please gimme a fkin break....i really doubt people will be cryin blood over some dlc content. now if gta4 had been exclusive or vastly inferior on ps3 then you might have a point, but as it stands, its really non-issue for many
I dont think PS3 owners care much at this time, but your kidding yourself if you dont think it matters. 50 Million is a lot of money and Rockstar does not want to pay any of it back. This will be a test market for future Rockstar games, so I can see them doing everything possible to release a great product that is superior to past DLC. If it was a few bonus packs with new outfits, a new mission or two and new weapons; I dont think it would matter either. The DLC will be fairly large and add a lot to the game. How much? No one knows yet; but to sell 50 million dollars worth, it will have to be something special.

Fans of GTA eat all the content up, not just the story line. MS will make sure even casual fans know the 360 will see more GTA4 content than any other system for the time being. I can see words like complete and full experience being used for the 360 version of the game. People may not know exactly how DLC works, but they will know it is coming to the 360 and not PS3. Casual fans may not be able to explain exactly why the 360 version is better, but they will know it is better after MS ad campaigns get done with them :lol

Uncooked

Banned
McLovin said:
Look stop trying to twist my words. Do you remember what the thread subject is about? Does sony have to do anything to counter 360's DLC? No they don't. You're trying to say that most people care about DLC that much that they are going to base their system purchase on that alone? And as far as Gears and Halo goes I think they attract more users then GTA. Especially with all the negative press on GTA. If they wanted a 360 they got it for those games. Sure some people are waiting for GTA IV DLC but they are the minority.

Yea, all the 14 year olds are going to turn away from GTA4 because the media said it is full of swearing, violence, and sex.

Dali

Himuro said:
All Rockstar has to do is advertise "EXCLUSIVE CONTENT ON XBOX 360" in the ads. After all, they have to make a buck off of the exclusive content, so they're going to advertise as such.

I think they'd have to do more than just say that. They'd have to actually show it off or be descriptive about what this exclusive content is. I'm pretty sure most people are desensitized to ad words like that.

McLovin

Uncooked said:
Yea, all the 14 year olds are going to turn away from GTA4 because the media said it is full of swearing, violence, and sex.
No but a large percentage of their parents wont buy it for them.

ZeoVGM

Banned
McLovin said:
Umm.. duh who would argue that? But I think its more about the 100+million ps2 owners that haven't hopped on the next gen bandwagon. I big chunk of them are waiting for mgs4 and gta4 and so on. I would say that more then 80% probably have no idea what DLC is.

Yes, they are waiting for GTA4. And I think they'll get it on the cheaper system with the (currently) more mainstream game lineup.

And I blatantly stated DLC will only really matter to gamers. Like.. 4 times. It's like some of you just.. click the reply button.

.. Wait, why is Virtua Fighter now being talked about?

I hate everyone.

McLovin said:

:lol

What dreamworld do you live in?

I worked in video game retail. The number of adults coming in and buying GTA for their kid while their lil' kid was with them was staggering.

We would do our job and explain the violence in the game to the parents and they would literally shrug it off like it's nothing.

Mrbob

This.

drohne said:

Uncooked

Banned
McLovin said:

First off, they probably still will, I can't tell you how many times I have seen parents buy their kids mature games, even when the clerks explain to the parent what kind of content is in the game. And like any young teenager, I am sure they will find a way to acquire the game no matter what, I know I was always able to.

Ariexv

Dali said:
I think they'd have to do more than just say that. They'd have to actually show it off or be descriptive about what this exclusive content is. I'm pretty sure most people are desensitized to ad words like that.
Did you even see the Halo 3 marketing Campaign? I'm pretty sure everyone will know the 360 version has more then the Ps3 version and I'm also pretty sure that Microsoft will make the DLC seem like the 2nd coming of Christ, and even then the few people who don't make the decision off of that you will probly have a considerable amount of Retail workers telling people which version is better.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
speculawyer said:
Hope that Blu-Ray is more important to people.

When movies like the dark knight, iron man, and hopefully lord of the rings i can see people seeing blu-ray as important, especially people with hdtvs.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
le.phat said:
You must not live stateside, this is Microsoft with Madden

ap_madden_08_070815_ms.jpg

76083723.jpg

maddennyc.jpg

500x375.aspx

Himuro said:
All Rockstar has to do is advertise "EXCLUSIVE CONTENT ON XBOX 360" in the ads. After all, they have to make a buck off of the exclusive content, so they're going to advertise as such.

Microsoft will do all that for them.

McLovin

Uncooked said:
First off, they probably still will, I can't tell you how many times I have seen parents buy their kids mature games, even when the clerks explain to the parent what kind of content is in the game. And like any young teenager, I am sure they will find a way to acquire the game no matter what, I know I was always able to.
Thats because their parents don't know what game the kid is getting. They don't know what Gears of War is.. or Halo.. or GRAW but they do know what GTA is. Its that game where you have sex with hookers and then kill them to get your money back. Its that game where they simulate sex(as far as they know).

Firewire

Banned
Himuro said:
Doesn't change the fact that Virtua Fighter is extremely influential.
To who? I own a PS3 and didn't even consider VF5. I'm a huge fan of the genre, and will be picking up SC & the king of fighters Tekken6.

Ariexv

Mrbob said:
Seriously what game is coming out this year that's even 1/10 as big as GTA that isn't either Ps3 first party, or exclusive to 360 already? and Even if there was do you think $50 million is so much to microsoft that if they wanted to they wouldn't be able to also buy that game as well? Hell the way some MS PR guys are running around spouting off about RE5 coming out this year I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't already do that.

Even then Microsoft's Line-up isn't nearly as shitty as everyone's claiming it is, they potentially have a AAA title for every month of the year.

Mau ®

There is nothing they can do to directly counter the DLC. Except maybe hope its a timed-exclusive, like past GTAs.

Sony has their own exclusive content coming up thats probably more exciting than the GTA4 DLC.

Uncooked

Banned
McLovin said:
Thats because their parents don't know what game the kid is getting. They don't know what Gears of War is.. or Halo.. or GRAW but they do know what GTA is. Its that game where you have sex with hookers and then kill them to get your money back. Its that game where they simulate sex(as far as they know).

Like I said, I've seen parents buy the mature games, and that game has been GTA more than once. When I was there to buy CoD4 a kid who must have been 9 or 10 was looking for a PS2 game, and his mom actually pointed out GTA3 San Andreas to him, picked it off the shelf, and handed it to him. at the counter the clerk explained all of the sex and violence, and you could tell the mother wasn't even thinking twice about the purchase.

AAK

inthezone said:
Sony has their own exclusive content coming up thats probably more exciting than the GTA4 DLC.

According to surfer homosexual, it is gonna be red dead revolver 2.

Didn't Madden sell like 2:1 in favour of the 360. When the difference in installed base was around 4:1 + the abortion of 30fps + as some of you just showed, mad ads.
Doesn't really support the argument...

Mrbob

Ariexv said:
Seriously what game is coming out this year that's even 1/10 as big as GTA that isn't either Ps3 first party, or exclusive to 360 already? and Even if there was do you think $50 million is so much to microsoft that if they wanted to they wouldn't be able to also buy that game as well? Hell the way some MS PR guys are running around spouting off about RE5 coming out this year I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't already do that.

Even then Microsoft's Line-up isn't nearly as shitty as everyone's claiming it is, they potentially have a AAA title for every month of the year.

Maybe they could have taken 20 million of that money and funded Crackdown 2 instead of letting RTW get away.

McLovin

Uncooked said:
Like I said, I've seen parents buy the mature games, and that game has been GTA more than once. When I was there to buy CoD4 a kid who must have been 9 or 10 was looking for a PS2 game, and his mom actually pointed out GTA3 San Andreas to him, picked it off the shelf, and handed it to him. at the counter the clerk explained all of the sex and violence, and you could tell the mother wasn't even thinking twice about the purchase.
ok..

WinFonda

omg rite said:
Yep. Ever since the GTA4 tattoo, that has been Microsoft's plan.

"If we can't get it exclusive, we can sure as hell make people think it is."

DLC is only a real factor to people like us. So it DOES help. But it's the marketing MS uses that will be the big factor.
Yes, but it is still a multiplatform title. Marketing will be very important though. But if not for Blu-Ray on the PS3, a lower price on the 360, or some other deciding factor -- I do think that exclusives matter, and in the case of GTA4, people will be looking at both consoles titles, and their decision will probably be made there. With Microsoft attempting to steal the GTA crowd from Sony, they're going to have a tough time with GTA4 being sandwiched between two big Sony titles, Gran Turismo and Metal Gear Solid, which are still very much exclusive.

In the end, GTA4 is destined to be a huge seller for both platforms and really, this is just a glorified pissing match. ;)

Uncooked

Banned
Phantast2k said:
Didn't Madden sell like 2:1 in favour of the 360. When the difference in installed base was around 4:1 + the abortion of 30fps + as some of you just showed, mad ads.
Doesn't really support the argument...

You are right, EA was much happier selling less on the PS3, because they won the ratio battle and that is more important than money.

Zertez

50 million is a lot in DLC sales. I think it is going to take more than hardcore gamers to sell that much. Not only will MS make sure everyone knows about DLC, so will Rockstar. Rockstar is not in a hurry to give the money back, so they will pimp the DLC to everyone as well.

Dabanton

AAK said:
According to surfer homosexual, it is gonna be red dead revolver 2.

Like i said earlier in this thread a real system seller.

Someone really got the shitty end of the stick on that deal.

Top Bottom