• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What developer/publisher has fallen the furthest from grace?

mindsale

Wait. Has no one selected Square Enix? Look at their output in the 1990's and then after the 1990's. Hell, look at the last 5 mainline Final Fantasies and their spinoffs.

Eylos

Banned
Wait. Has no one selected Square Enix? Look at their output in the 1990's and then after the 1990's. Hell, look at the last 5 mainline Final Fantasies and their spinoffs.

Ffxi is MMO its not my type of game but people liked It
Ffxii is good
Ffxiii is bad
Ffxiv started bad but they say is good now
Ffxv i liked it,Its not as good as before, but its good

1/5 or 2/5 If you hated ffxv

In terms of developing great games, Rare. Went from top of the class, with major hits on both SNES and N64, to an average Star Fox adventure and Grabbed by the Ghoulies. Then they were the Kinect team. The only recent games I think are great from them are Viva Pinata. Hoping their Pirate game is good.

As a company Konami. Just shit on console gaming.

SE definitely shat the bed the entire last generation with Final Fantasy. But they really got their shit together this generation.

I despised Capcom last generation because of their poor business practices and stuff.

yyr

I despised Capcom last generation because of their poor business practices and stuff.

This makes as little sense as suggesting that Sega has fallen from grace (see my answer to that on the last page).

Lost Planet 1, Dead Rising 1, and the Street Fighter IV series were spectacular all by themselves, and those were hardly the only good games they released last gen. What was wrong with their business practices?

george_us

Yeah gotta be Sega for me. Another poster said it but their output from the 80s until the early 2000s rivaled even Nintendo, and that was during an age of publishers who weren't creatively bound. They put out a couple of titles here and there that I love, namely Yakuza and Alien: Isolation, but nothing like they used to. Financially I believe they're actually doing very well though.

Nairume

Banned
Even considering that, I'd still say there are better examples of developers/publishers that have had much more dramatic falls.

eXistor

Considering how absurdly great Konami used to be (Contra, Castlevania, Metal Gear, Rocket Knight, Twinbee, Gradius, Salamander, Turtles, Sunset Riders, I mean Jesus Christ) it's gotta be Konami.

As much as it pains me to admit my choice would be Bioware. I used to buy their releases sight unseen without hesitation and be confident in that choice. ME3 broke that and their subsequent releases have not restored that trust. Which is a real shame.

Bakkus

I agree with pretty much all the examples listed so far, but remember guys; 'Gaming has never been better than it is now'....

Fisty

Neversoft is a good one. Some of the best Spiderman games ever and the THPS juggernaut... now it's doing what, COD support?

daTRUballin

Neversoft is a good one. Some of the best Spiderman games ever and the THPS juggernaut... now it's doing what, COD support?

Neversoft was actually merged into Infinity Ward a couple of years ago. So yes, they're basically a COD studio now. In fact, they ARE IW now. Which is still weird to think about.

Stiler

Hello Games imo.

No Man's Sky pre release they were being lauded left and right as one of the best developers.

Then it releases and they take a nose dive.

Probably the "fastest" fall from grace I've ever seen a developer take in such a short time.

Bioware.

2 of my favorite games of all time to a company I don't even pay attention to anymore.

Hello Games is an interesting response, but they don't have the legacy to have as much of a "fall" in my opinion.

Calm Mind

While the Square side of things has slid down a path I don't favor in years passed, the Enix side of the company has kept them from slipping into mediocrity.

Konami has been Winning Eleven and metal gear solid for over 10 years before the cluster fuck with kojima. Their fall from Grace was gradual and maddening at the end sure, but SEGAs decline is much sadder imo.

Since they actually​ used​ to make games people cared about for a much longer time far more recently

Terrell

Konami clearly takes the prize here, but the others are neck-and-neck fighting for 2nd place, Sega, Square Enix and Capcom in particular.

Freddo

One could also make a strong argument for Square Enix's Japanese development. They were among the most elite and trustworthy brands in gaming in the mid-late 90's and now release mostly just alright at best games. Nearly every good game Square has relased in like 6-7 years was developed by one of their western studios or a third party.
Agreed. i'm also a bit peeved so many PS1 Classics are missing from EU PS Store like Chrono Cross, Threads of Fate and Xenogears just to mention a few.

PillarEN

Hello Games imo.

No Man's Sky pre release they were being lauded left and right as one of the best developers.

Then it releases and they take a nose dive.

Probably the "fastest" fall from grace I've ever seen a developer take in such a short time.

Isn't the game actually improving? No doubt that the launch was premature (even though the main dev guy looked like death even by then), but instead of the game worsening (like some MMOs even if that's a different genre) NMS seems to be charting in the other direction.

Because of this bit right here I think I can go with my pick of CAPCOM.

If I were a more emotional person, this would absolutely break my heart... Because it's true.

I grew up with Capcom, and for a while it seemed like they could do no wrong in delivering fun video games. I could literally play every single one of their CPS-2 and CPS-3 releases, even today.

2017 Capcom, though? I haven't even bought Street Fighter V, and have no plans to do so. Hype levels for MVC:I are low. I haven't even bought RE7 yet, which is saying a lot because Resident Evil is my favorite video game series of all time. They're sitting on a treasure trove of intellectual properties, yet do nothing about it. It's getting to the point where I just can't get excited about anything Capcom does these days.

It's fucking tragic. My favorite three video game companies growing up -- Capcom, Sega, and SNK -- are just a shadow of their former selves. So I'm sure Nintendo is happy, waiting for me with open arms, since in my mind, they are still the ones who provide the kind of video game fun I used to get from Capcom, Sega, and SNK games.

I mean...people keep saying that, but from my understanding, Microsoft actually gave Rare more freedom than Nintendo did. It wasn't until Kinect where they lost some free will.

Rare said this. Nintendo was very hands on with them. MS assumed it was 100% Rare. They bought them and left them on their own to make games. They cranked out Grabbed by the Ghoulies and a remake of Conker.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Konami

Also not fallen further from grace, I'd say to some point Atlus because:
- Persona 4 Ultimax being region locked for who knows what reason
- Persona 5 streaming controversy and delayed and mediocre localization.
- Announcing a lot of NDS remakes for 3DS that aren't exactly needed (in fact their line-up for this year are... NDS remakes).
- They used to pick up and localize great titles before but nowadays... Not so much.

I saw a lots of votes for Rare but honestly they pale in comparison to what happened to Sega AM2.

what happened. jesus, rare fell from mt Everest , AM 2 fell from space.

daTRUballin

Rare said this. Nintendo was very hands on with them. MS assumed it was 100% Rare. They bought them and left them on their own to make games. They cranked out Grabbed by the Ghoulies and a remake of Conker.

At the same time, there have been quite a few ex-Rare devs saying the opposite. There always seem to be a bunch of conflicting stories from Rare employees. I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle.

Although there have been WAY more employees saying Microsoft was heavy handed than the opposite.....

mas8705

So many to pick from, but I will go with the one that I will say has pissed me off the most: EA.

I remember back a while back ago that EA had a good amount of titles and have established themselves well in the gaming industry. But then it took such a nose dive that I question if they should even bother making any other games other than the sports titles.

Hell, if you need a finer example of just how much EA F***s up, the Extra Credits video that was posted five years back is a great way to summarize how hard EA had fallen back then, and how if we look at it today, it continues to dig a deeper hole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3FN3YCwYk

Edit: Honestly, Rare and Capcom have been hits and missing in my opinion. Yeah... not exactly the best it could have been, but I could still tolerate a few of the games that had come out during that time. As for Konami though, I don't think I had a high opinion of them to begin with, and it feels redundant to state it out loud after all the shit they pulled with the whole "Cancel Silent Hills," "Invest in gambling rather than actual games" and the all around treatment of Kojima that lead MGSV into dark times (and a survival horror spinoff for some reason)

XandBosch

Zipper Interactive did with the socom series. Slowly at first (3 and Combined Assault were deviations, but nothing TOO major), and then Socom 4 was just a shadow of the series' former self. It was a big "fuck you" to those of us still in the community.

Seminal online gaming experience, Socom 1 and 2.

Shingro

Capcom used to be at the top or near the top of every genre. Action? Megaman. Fighting games? Street fighter 2. RPG? Breath of Fire. Horror? Resident Evil. Power stone was awesome.

They were so rad they took first and second sometimes. Darkstalkers/Rival Schools, Veiwtiful joe, Devil May Cry.Heck they dominated the fighting game scene multiple times.

They were incredibly dominant.

Now Breath of Fire is a mobile game, Street fighter was released as an emaciated skeleton, MvC3 released a full followup scant months after release and Megaman has been largely executed. Their talent has largely and publicly deserted the company with only poor Ono to try to tow the line.

What happened capcom? YOU WERE THE CHOSEN ONE!!

guyssorry

Square was so high quality in the '90s, which makes it difficult for me to think of any other option that could be better. I mean, they had plenty of GOAT-status games in that era (CT, FF6, SD3, Vagrant Story, etc.); now (and since the 2000s), they have very few worthwhile games, IMO. Such a shame.

Square was so high quality in the '90s, which makes it difficult for me to think of any other option that could be better. I mean, they had plenty of GOAT-status games in that era (CT, FF6, SD3, Vagrant Story, etc.); now (and since the 2000s), they have very few worthwhile games, IMO. Such a shame.
Square has been meh for so long that I can't even get angry anymore. I got over them years ago.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Square has been meh for so long that I can't even get angry anymore. I got over them years ago.

They've been releasing decent to great titles lately.

I liked FFXV, NieR Automata, Kingdom Hearts 2.8, I am Setsuna, Dragon Quest Builders, and World of Final Fantasy.

Still need to play Dragon Quest Heroes II more, but still fixing on my backlog.

I'd say Dragon Quest Builders and NieR: Automata are a few of the GOTG for me
I'd say FFXV too but people will kill me

Edit: Try to compare Square Enix this gen vs. last gen, they were hell last gen.

Top Bottom