• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What directors do you want to see do future Star Wars films?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FloatOn

We know Episode 8 is Rian Johnson, Episode 9 is Colin Trevorrow and Han Solo is a Lord and Miller joint.

but since we are probably getting a Star Wars movie every year until the end of time... what director do you want to see do work for a future Star Wars film?

Personally, I'm desperate to see Chris Nolan tackle it. The fantasy/sci-fi nature of Star Wars is at odds with Nolan making his films more grounded despite the crazy source material he takes on.

What is your pick?

Denis Villeneuve

+

Roger Deakins

Hes all in sci fi mode too now.

EDIT: Still worried about the director for IX. But its too early.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
It might not be the trendiest pick, but I have always wanted to see a Spielberg SW film after he was denied making RotJ.

A spin off could be perfect for him.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Denis Villeneuve

Hes all in sci fi mode too now.

Yes! I don't even care if he fucks up on Blade Runner. He earned enough good will from me this year to just keep doing whatever he wants. Any sci-fi property, he can have it.

I might be in the minority here, but I kind of like Rogue One's more "serious" take on Star Wars compared to the main movies. I feel like they have enough humor and lightheartedness and I'd rather the spinoffs have a different tone. I think that's what made the games so awesome, because they took the material and played it straight (but not to ridiculous EU novels/comic levels)

Empty

really don't want to see any talented original directors wasted on franchises where the producers have so much creative control - marvel, star wars, bond etc

Kinyou

Gareth Evans
It's actually Gareth Edwards. Gareth Evans is the one who made the The Raid movies. I confused them initially as well.

Speaking of Gareth Evans, somehow I'd like to see him give it a go, though im also not sure what I'd actually expect.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Werner Herzog documentary about Star Wars in general from the history of the series, the making of the movies, interviews with notable stars from the movies, and of course the fandom. It would be INCREDIBLE though I'm sure most Star Wars fans would be either pissed and/or confused by the whole thing. I'd love it though.

Edit: Also Gareth Evans is another correct choice even if people are confusing him with Gareth Edwards (Rogue 1, Godzilla). Gimme that hard hitting Star Wars side story movie about space martial artists beating the ever fucking piss out of some Jedi or Sith or Ewoks or whoever.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
In fact just gimme a Gareth Evans movie about General Grievous just murdering Jedi and taking their light sabers for two hours.

Spielberg would never do a Star Wars movie. He's buddies with Lucas, and George has been less than thrilled about Disney unceremoniously dumping his ideas for the future of the franchise and going in the direction they did. Spielberg signing up to direct would be like sleeping with his best friend's ex.

TDLink

Dave Filoni.

And he definitely deserves it after his work in Clone Wars. Unfortunately I doubt he'll ever get the opportunity, even if he obviously is still a part of Lucasfilm and gets input into all the projects now. I just want to see him in complete control of even one of the live action movies.

Spielberg would never do a Star Wars movie. He's buddies with Lucas, and George has been less than thrilled about Disney unceremoniously dumping his ideas for the future of the franchise and going in the direction they did. It would Spielberg signing up to direct would be like sleeping with his best friend's ex.

He also just wouldn't do it anyways. Lucas wanted him to direct the prequels and he said no.

Toxi

Banned
I didn't realize Ava DuVearney helped touch up the final light saber fight in The Force Awakens. Love to see what she could do.
Whoever just did Rogue One. That was masterful. :eek:
Gareth Edwards. His previous movies are Monsters and Godzilla 2014.

He has a great eye for visuals.

Dave Filoni.

And he definitely deserves it after his work in Clone Wars. Unfortunately I doubt he'll ever get the opportunity, even if he obviously is still a part of Lucasfilm and gets input into all the projects now. I just want to see him in complete control of even one of the live action movies.

He also just wouldn't do it anyways. Lucas wanted him to direct the prequels and he said no.

I think they will give him an live action series. Isn't he already working on a new project?

thefro

Spielberg would never do a Star Wars movie. He's buddies with Lucas, and George has been less than thrilled about Disney unceremoniously dumping his ideas for the future of the franchise and going in the direction they did. Spielberg signing up to direct would be like sleeping with his best friend's ex.

That's why he's directing Indy 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom