• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What directors do you want to see do future Star Wars films?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neff

You're one of the fans that automatically assumes the creatives at Lucasfilm have no real input, or power, or vision of their own, that the only people who matter on any level are the people at Disney.

I didn't say Lucasfilm has no input. But at the same time, Lucasfilm is no longer an independent studio. They're no longer internally funded, although Lucas apparently went to lengths to see the company would continue to operate as normally as possible with minimal layoffs/restructuring in his absence.

Literal bottom line, Star Wars now belongs to a committee of marketeers, regardless of what transpires, rather than an artist with a consistent (and unique) world view. We're already seeing the effects of that.

Phil Tippett has actually stated in an interview Lucas basically only agreed to direct all three because Pepsi kicked down 2 billion in sponsorship/endorsement money.

Lucas is a self-described lazy bastard. If he didn't want to do it, he would have got someone else to do it.

Literal bottom line, Star Wars now belongs to a committee of marketeers, regardless of what transpires, rather than an artist with a consistent (and unique) world view. We're already seeing the effects of that.

Star Wars belongs to Lucasfilm.

Your assumption of Disney's (typically invoked as some sort of mouse-eared faceless INSIDE-esque blob of corporates) creative influence on Kathleen Kennedy (who was installed by Lucas personally) and Kennedy's creative team (who were hired by Lucas for the most part) is overstated, and your arrival at that assumption is based mostly on... nothing. Just the brand name itself.

The idea that Star Wars didn't ever belong to a marketing-savvy corporation is fucking ludicrous, dude. The committee of marketeers was there from jump.

The guy you're defending is one of the single best marketeers the film industry has ever seen.

Lucas is a self-described lazy bastard. If he didn't want to do it, he would have got someone else to do it.

And if he was at all actually concerned about "interference" of his grand designs for the company, he wouldn't have made Kennedy President and then initiated the sale of his entire creative history.

Hm, I think it's only fair that Joe Johnson should finally get to helm a Star Wars project, considering he was key to the creation of the originals (provided he wants to do it.)

Apart from that, it's a conundrum. Do I want to see promising young filmmakers scooped up into the franchise, or seasoned directors? Either way it might feel like we're robbing the world of an original project. But I'm still a bit interested in this series, so on we go.

I'm not the largest champion of Pete's Dragon, but David Lowery could do something more laid back.

I would get Christopher McQuarrie to write one, if he were not doing Space Battleship Yamato.

Wright and Bird would be great, but the former seems to want to make originals after his Marvel experience, and I would actually like Bird to make another 2D movie, as unlikely as it sounds.

...Yorgos Lanthimos?

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Those committee of marketeers have made 2 fucking awesome movies, so I guess they know what they're doing.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
David Fincher, bring it full circle

I dislike everything Fincher has ever made except Zodiac, but I have to admit I would be curious to see what he'd do with Star Wars.

Again, I didn't say this either.

Yeah, you said Star Wars belonged to "an artist with a consistent (and unique) world view," which is fucking hilarious. Dude couldn't even keep his own stories straight between the two trilogies. The most famous plot twist in the franchise's history was made up during the second draft of Empire. There was no consistency in Star Wars. There never has been.

Neff

This implies it didn't before.

If you disregard the rest of the sentence, sure.

Yeah, you said Star Wars belonged to "an artist with a consistent (and unique) world view,"

Yup. I wasn't so much talking about Lucas' writing or long-term plans, more his personality, politics, theological views, and general eccentricities, all of which made their way into Star Wars and made them fun movies. Most of which is gone now, sadly.

I dislike everything Fincher has ever made except Zodiac

Even The Game?

Decado

A competent one that doesn't have more interesting projects to take on. The franchise will be around for a bit and Disney isn't going to give any director free reign. They will all fit a certain mold and I'd rather see my favourite directors keep away from that rabbit hole.

most of my star wars complaints would be about the plots + writing

i don't think better or worse directing would change too much for me.

that said, i think there's a lot of room to make more spectacular scenes. the modern films don't feel like 30+ years of advancement from the originals

I like the idea that Disney buys studios for billions of dollars just to be nannies. It's amusing to picture Kathleen Kennedy, one of the most successful and accomplished film producers of all time, having to ask mommy and daddy Disney if she can hire JJ Abrams to make a Star Wars movie.

ZombAid82

After reading Gareth Edwards and Donnie Yen the first time, I thought that The Raid Director Gareth Evans would direct rogue one: a star wars story.
He would have been awesome!
So yeah, my top picks are Evans and Villeneuve.
And a bat shit crazy one from Sion Sono, just to see what could NOT be made!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Damian Chazelle should direct a Star Wars song and dance movie about the Cantina Band.

I would love to see Joseph Kosinski get a shot at a SW film. He's a visually talented director who needs a solid script. Disney might not give him a shot after Tron Legacy though. I also wouldn't mind Matt Reeves.

Cheebo

Banned
In all seriousness, John Carpenter should be making the Han Solo movie.
John Carpenter has only made unwatchable dreck for the past nearly 20 years. It isn't 1985 anymore. And I say this as someone who LOVES John Carpenter. But Carpenter is an old man who has no ability to direct anything watchable and hasn't for years.

Lord and Miller in 2016 are leagues ahead of Carpenter 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom