• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What directors do you want to see do future Star Wars films?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
JJ was a perfect director pick and it didn't matter.
They need good writing and they're 0/2 there so far.

jelly

I find Edgar Wright's directing skills impressive but all his films have that style and I'm not sure that would fit a Star Wars story. It's too abrasive.

Denis Villeneuve would be my pick, good story, characters and visuals.

Neff

Lynch, Verhoeven, Spielberg or any number of candidates under Lucas' guidance would have put out great Star Wars movies.

Without him, I just don't see the point, as two bad post-Lucas Star Wars movies have proven, and I don't think anyone out there is in tune enough with what he established to go it alone, or big enough to do what needs to be done without interference from Disney.

I've got I-VI and that's fine.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
Lynch, Verhoeven, Spielberg or any number of candidates under Lucas' guidance would have put out great Star Wars movies.

Without him, I just don't see the point, as two bad post-Lucas Star Wars movies have proven, and I don't think anyone out there is in tune enough with what he established to go it alone, or big enough to do what needs to be done without interference from Disney.

I've got I-VI and that's fine.

Is this a prevailing view among Star Wars fans?

DavidDesu

Cuaron! Has made blockbusters including the best Harry Potter film. He does incredibly intricate and epic one take shots and I can only imagine him doing one in the Star Wars universe in a spin off film. Man I want to see his Star Wars. I'm pretty sure he's another director of this generation that cites Star Wars as being quitea big inspiration to him so I see no reason why it wouldn't be possible.

echoing the George Miller sentiment - I felt like the action sequences in Rogue One were seriously bland and lacked any kineticism, which Miller could deliver in spades.

Shane Carruth too, because why the hell not.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If they let Genndy make a Star Wars movie let him do an animated one. He thrives in that medium and he's probably one of the best animation directors out there. I wanna see a 2 hour Clone Wars movie from him or something along those lines. Let the man loose and don't hold him back.

Joss Whedon. Haven't seen much of his stuff but I love his Astonishing X-men comic story, Firefly and the film attached to it, and while the second one is considerably flawed, I really dig his Avengers films.

Firefly shows so much potential for Whedon playing in sci-fi worlds. Lets get him on a Star Wars project

Neff

for example: He's under the impression "Disney Interference" is a thing that is happening.

You mean like scrapping Lucas' treatments entirely because they weren't commercially viable, major re-shoots and moving release dates half a year forward to sell Christmas merchandise? Call it what you like, but no director making Star Wars is ever going to have the freedom Lucas did, especially at the budget level they're working at, and the movies will suffer for it.

TDLink

You mean like scrapping Lucas' treatments entirely because they weren't commercially viable, major re-shoots and moving release dates half a year forward to sell Christmas merchandise? Call it what you like, but no director making Star Wars is ever going to have the freedom Lucas did, especially at the budget level they're working at, and the movies will suffer for it.

Any treatment Lucas had would have been commercially viable. The brand alone and the hype of a 7th film would have made whatever they did successful.

Reshoots happen on almost every major film.

Episode VIII moving to Christmas had nothing to do with Christmas merchandise. That will sell regardless. It primarily had to do with Rian Johnson wanting more time to develop the script. And secondarily they probably didn't want to clash with Guardians of the Galaxy 2, which would have released only two weeks earlier.

From Han Solo on they intend Star Wars to go back to being a summer franchise.

vern

Jim Jarmusch is the only logical choice, especially now that they have the "a Star Wars story" spinoff things.

You mean like scrapping Lucas' treatments entirely

How is that "interference"

he sold the fuckin' company

voluntarily

That's not interference.

There is a very small subset of fandom that literally cannot, after almost 5 years, accept the fact George Lucas don't want 'em, man.

He walked. This isn't interference. This is what he wanted. If he didn't, he wouldn't have sold the company in the first place.

Kathleen Kennedy runs the company now, and under her watch, she's about to have the #1 and #2 highest grossing Star Wars films ever made, and the two best Star Wars films on a quality level since 1980. And from all reports - Rian Johnson is getting to do exactly what he wants with Episode 8.

So I mean....

v1lla21

David Fincher for a SW crime drama that takes place in the criminal underbelly.

John Carpenter makes a directorial comeback with a horror movie set in the SW universe. Huge potential here imo. He could also make the music as well.

Speely

Banned
Skimmed and only found one reference to my choice:

Darren Aronofsky doing Darth Vader between III and IV.

Beautiful. I'll raise you and also put forth Aronofsky doing a smaller-scale anything SW. Golden Age of the Sith, etc. Localize it and make it focus on any one aspect of the SW universe and Aronofsky could make it really engaging. Getting him away from established canon would be best, though.

Neff

Any treatment Lucas had would have been commercially viable. The brand alone and the hype of a 7th film would have made whatever they did successful.

I'm pretty sure Disney was terrified of putting kids front and centre in Star Wars again. Even Lucas admitted it was a gamble. But to his credit, he went and did it anyway.

That's not interference.

My point is that Star Wars is no longer the passion project of an individual, it's a studio-mandated commercial product, and the movies they've put out reflect that. I'm curious about VIII, but If movies like TFA and Rogue One continue to be examples of Disney's vision for the franchise, then my interest in them is going to fade quickly.

Anth0ny

ever consider they scrapped Lucas' treatments because they were

you know

fucking terrible

Literally none of this post makes sense.

Scrapping the Lucas treatments had nothing to do "commercial viability". Everyone involved wanted an empty slate and no one was interested in using Lucas's treatment, plain and simple.

Rogue One had reshoots because every movie not in desperate financial trouble has reshoots and everyone felt they'd be beneficial. The entire creative team is happy with the final product.

The series was moved to December because JJ and Kathleen Kennedy wanted more time to work on Episode VII. The same happened with Episode VIII, which otherwise would have been back in May. As it turns out, Star Wars in December works really well though.

JJ/Kasdan had enormous creative freedom for VII and by all metrics it seems Rian Johnson enjoyed the same (pro-tip: Johnson ain't getting hired for/isn't gonna sign up for a studio-run project with no creative control). Hell, the biggest driver behind the Han Solo movie coming is Kasdan wanting desperately to write one. Lucasfilm is great for creative talent/freedom as it's always been. That freedom now just extends to scriptwriters and directors.

Both Star Wars films that have released are widely regarded as good films, both easily better than the PT, with Ep. VII in particular being a resounding success by every metric there is. So I've yet to see any suffering. And I get the feeling whatever Johnson is cooking up will be unlike anything we've ever seen in this universe, in the most positive sense possible.

My point is that Star Wars is no longer the passion project of an individual, it's a studio-mandated commercial product.

It was always commercial product. It's never not been. You're drastically overestimating it's purely artistic endeavors. If anything, ever since 1980, the primary concern of Lucas' wasn't even storytelling, it was using Star Wars as a means to further filmmaking technology, first and foremost.

Which is, even now, with this movie, still a thing that's happening, i.e. Tarkin.

And you keep talking about "Disney's" vision for the franchise as if Lucasfilm doesn't exist. The refusal to acknowledge that Lucasfilm actually has their own plans, their own vision, and their own ideas as to where the series can (and should) go, is part of what I'm poking at here.

You're one of the fans that automatically assumes the creatives at Lucasfilm have no real input, or power, or vision of their own, that the only people who matter on any level are the people at Disney.

Which isn't true. And isn't an accurate representation of how these movies are actually being made.

Anth0ny

Not really

well that's what happened

because george is a crazy person and can't write a script for shit

My point is that Star Wars is no longer the passion project of an individual, it's a studio-mandated commercial product, and the movies they've put out reflect that. I'm curious about VIII, but If movies like TFA and Rogue One continue to be examples of Disney's vision for the franchise, then my interest in them is going to fade quickly.

oh my god

if the star wars prequels weren't a studio-mandated commercial product, I don't know what is

CrayToes

Lmao, poor, artistic Star Wars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom