• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think about Mortal Kombat 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be quite honest, I do not see much of an appeal for it. It looks like MK11 but with more realistic environments, longer air to air combos and a tacked on assist move feature(except you can't actually seem to switch between the assists). There isn't really anything shown that excited me. If you found it exciting more power to you.

However, if they reveal that you can actually swap between characters and not just use assists, I am 100% sold on the game.

Last edited:

kimcorecoba

Neo Member
I don't like the new gummy mechanic they introduced since deadly alliance. You get punished for too long and I fear this was done for the looks and not the actual mechanics. Xray is the worst thing introduced ever. Very pointless. My favourite MK will always be UMK3.

Will really come down to single player content but Netherealm always delivers on that front so let's see what happens. Konquest Mode would make it day 1, otherwise I can wait for the GOTY edition with all the DLC packed in. It's going to be hard to top SF6 for fighting game of the year, CAPCOM knocked it out of the park.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
i like it, day 1 for now.
I dont have unrealistic expectation in the first place.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
I hate it when new games or consoles to a series are titled "one". So confusing and inconvenient.

Yeah, I mean, reboot continuity makes sense, but the fact that I didn't know about that until today is something else. People should never have to guess what a product is, that's like...marketing 101

Camreezie

Cool directions with some of the characters but i thought it looked visually disappointing especially compared to Tekken 8 and SF6

Ridaxan

Day 1 for me. I really enjoyed MK11 and it's typically the one game that's continuously played at social gatherings.

Shut0wen

Love mk series but dont take online as serious as street fighter, i love the combos on the game but mk imo has always been incredibly unbalanced

RoboFu

One of the green rats
I like it! Even if it just means going back to sensible costume designs it’s a win.

Love mk series but dont take online as serious as street fighter, i love the combos on the game but mk imo has always been incredibly unbalanced
Some street fighter games are unbalanced too. SF3 is notoriously unbalanced, top tourney placers only stuck to the top 7 in USF4.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Shut0wen

Some street fighter games are unbalanced too. SF3 is notoriously unbalanced, top tourney placers only stuck to the top 7 in USF4.
Yeah i know, even og street fighter 2 is incredibly unbalanced, at least with street fighter, biggest problem with mk unbalance is ariel combos, raiden on either mk9 or 10 can dominate you eithout even labding on the ground and withour being able to combo break made it game breaking

Yeah i know, even og street fighter 2 is incredibly unbalanced, at least with street fighter, biggest problem with mk unbalance is ariel combos, raiden on either mk9 or 10 can dominate you eithout even labding on the ground and withour being able to combo break made it game breaking
Raiden is one of the easiest characters to deal with in MKX lol.

For me, there is not a single character I feel excited about because its just the same costumes we have seen before. Yes its kind of a "reboot" but every time a new MK comes out, you always wonder about the design of Scorpion, Sub_zero, reptile, ermac, noob etc. Everything seems like its already been done. Now, main culprit for that could be that in MK11 and the Krypt you had like 30-40 different outfits for each character so it feels as if ive already seen these designs before. Scorpion and Sub literally look like they came straight out of MK11.

The assist/tag team is a new gameplay mechanic but we already had a return to the past characters in MK11, we saw Kano in MK3 and MK1 outfit before, same for Sonya and others. So its not like some big never before seen surprise. Also Johnny Cage RIPS new Cage from MK1. New Cage looks so pedestrian. Like from a Yakuza game.

Yeah, I mean, reboot continuity makes sense, but the fact that I didn't know about that until today is something else. People should never have to guess what a product is, that's like...marketing 101

Its not even marketing only. I was looking for screenshots and id say 70% of search result was still the 1992 game. Thats one thing I hate when in search you now have to clarify what year and many games did that before too.

Its not even marketing only. I was looking for screenshots and id say 70% of search result was still the 1992 game. Thats one thing I hate when in search you now have to clarify what year and many games did that before too.
Same stupidity like with Doom 2016, instead of just Doom4, it becomes that.
It's not even the second MK 1, since we also got Mortal Kombat (2011) aka MK9.
At least call it MK 1 Kome back here or some stupid subtitle, but restarting the numbering for a new generation of MK, building upon whatever happeend in MK11? Will they continue with 2 and 3 etc. as well? And then after 4 again lose that train of thought and drop any numbers? Why not just MK 12 if it is a continuation of what began in MK11? They missed the mark for the pivot point but MK X1, MK X2 etc. would have made at least some sense as the new alternate universe restart.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
MKX to M11 was a clear jump.
They didnt really reveal any extra modes.

So right now this game looks like DLC for MK11

But then again when the first footage of TotK came out it looked like BotW dlc so 🥹

MKX to M11 was a clear jump.
They didnt really reveal any extra modes.

So right now this game looks like DLC for MK11

But then again when the first footage of TotK came out it looked like BotW dlc so 🥹
Only in graphics. MKX >>> in every other category, especially combat.

Last edited:
I liked MK9 and MKX, but 11 didn’t hold my interest. Gameplay-wise it seemed too limiting whereas as in the previous games you could get really creative with set-ups and combos. Which is a shame because the overall roster was better than X, MKX just had the better gameplay.

I really got tired of all the guest characters they’ve started doing since X. A few here and there are fine, but half the DLC roster being guests just seems like a waste when they can also bring back older characters from past games.

I’ll probably wait for a Komplete edition if the gameplay is better than MK11. But until then I’ll probably wait and see if I wanna Folgers SF6 or T8.

Fredrik

Well, gore is not my thing, so…
I liked what I saw of the gameplay though, the easily accessed tag team combos looked interesting.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Looked like a really good MK game to me.

Which is great for fans of the franchise, and people into fighting games. As for someone like myself -who isn't likely to drop $70 on a game of that type- it was at the very least a fun little showing that held my attention throughout.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I thought it looked pretty dope but I wish they went full TTT/MVC with a tag system then just this weird one they were describing that doesn't really make a lot of sense.

I don’t play fighters, but what stuck out to me was how badly distinguished the characters were from the backgrounds. Just using all the GPU power for complex background geometry with no regard for how the visual clutter affects readability.

Pretty cool to see all the guys with modern visuals though as the last time I really looked at them was on the Mega Drive.

Just_one

Only thing good about MK is the story mode and the finishers.

Gameplay always was very robotic and bad. In that department Street fighter will always be the best fighting game, its gameplay is so damn smooth and fast

That being said i´ll probably get this at a sale some point down the line for sure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom