• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you think of GameFaqs?

ZeroRay

Had an account there since 2003. 2002, if you count the first one, but I forgot the password and it's long been purged.

Fuck the boards aside from one I still occasionally browse.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
That's actually a really, REALLY good change. Did it cause a lot of hysteria?
I remember seeing a few threads celebrating on some of the social boards the day it was announced, but not as many as I thought there'd be. I think a lot of the people that were there back when the forums were merged either aren't there anymore, or they don't use the gaming boards much anymore, so it didn't affect them.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
STOP READING MY MIND! </caps>
Shiiiiit @ having to do </caps> :lol
I remember seeing a few threads celebrating on some of the social boards the day it was announced, but not as many as I thought there'd be. I think a lot of the people that were there back when the forums were merged either aren't there anymore, or they don't use the gaming boards much anymore, so it didn't affect them.
This must be the reason, yeah.

hao chi

Basically the same thing most people are saying: the FAQ's and walkthroughs are good, but from what I've seen during the occasional visit to their forums when a Google search led me there, there are some helpful and intelligent people on there, but far more illiterate morons.

VinLAURiA

Banned
I up and left about a week ago. Not that you guys are much better, but NGG was just getting toxic. I needed to get away from gamer culture somewhat and NGG was basically the worst parts of it distilled in a pit of hate.

Vexxan

I usually end up there when I'm stuck in an older game and I turn to google for help because GameFAQs is pretty much always at the top. They have some pretty good guides but I wouldn't dare set my foot it their forums.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Forums can be pretty good for scan links and spoilers lol

Some of the guides are really, really good and in depth.
My mind is still blown every single time I decide to open a SplitInfinity-guide. God-tier shit right there.

Yoshichan

WIND!!!!

yes, right order! let's pretend there was no C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!!!
WATER!!!!

Spoiler-tags are immune to C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERS!!!!

bh7812

Banned
GameFAQs was the first site I ever registered on. It used to be my homepage and favorite gaming website; I was on it all the time. Like a lot of other people here, I started to get sick of the forums after I found GAF (and SA). I don't think the forums are a complete shithole (if you go to the right ones) but it's true that almost none of the active forums are worth reading at all.

They used to, but it was only reserved for the absolute biggest rule-breakers (like people with massive amounts of banned accounts or people who abused exploits on the boards). I have no idea if they still do that.

Wow!! I got conflicting answers for that a year ago! One person told me they did IP bans with the absolute worst offenders and cases, like you said. But, they preferred not to use it unless there was no other choice. The other person said oh we can't do IP bans. All I know is several posters there at least are probably more than over due for that. To their credit the few I talked to were very nice and took the time to listen. But it's like just damn is all there is to say looking at those forums.

I feel sorry for one poster who just...finally cracked at the beginning of the year. I guess Final Fantasy 13 and the "desecration" of the series just got to be too much. I know people hate FF13 but to go on and on almost literally daily for a few years isn't healthy. Poor sap just lost it.

But thanks for clarifying :) It was crazy getting conflicting answers!

SkylineRKR

GameFaqs is generally a shithole but there are some good things about it.

Some guides for example were really well done. Thing is that I prefer visual guides nowadays, such as Wikias or YT etc. That old text shit is something I can't really go through anymore.

Some forums were okay, I hung out at the Saturn board some 13 years ago and it was full of true fans without any bullshit being tossed. The FF boards were fairly knowledgable as well, I remember Split from there.

Its just that the crowded boards were utter hellholes, and I hated their stupid censor shit. This also went for marking for moderation, I can't imagine someone is really marking someones post because of a slight fuckup like an S-word. But such people apparently do exist. The amount of morons over there is astounding. Voice your opinion and back it, and like '50 people go 'lol ur retarded'. Or character battle topic #100, Sephiroth >> Link ffs!

Tacitus_

Ah balls. I can't remember what my primary account was back then. I can only remember my alt and that got shitcanned, probably trolling NGG >_>

Yoshichan

HEART!!!!

do you know if luelinks is still alive?

BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED...

No idea! Only thing I know for sure is that I miss LUEshi ._.

I used to go there when I was 13, so I assume everyone on it now is 13. I came like 30th once in one of the character battles, I guessed almost everything right. It was so cool to me that you could actually win money from the character battles.
---
Official Dark Luigi of the Mario Power Tennis board

Arthea

It's a stick with 2 ends. On one hand it's good resource of ingame info, secrets, and game talking, on the other it kinda makes gaming community and games talk unbearable, if you know what I mean.

PKrockin

For all the shit the boards get, they're actually extremely helpful if you need information or advice. Just check the FAQs and sticky before posting a thread. And the discussions are not as bad as they're made out to be. (At least on the game-specific boards. Don't go to the system boards.)

As for Youtube replacing the FAQs, I don't know why the hell you would want to poke through six videos' worth of footage just to find the part you're stuck at and then watch 10 minutes of footage to see what to do. I'd rather bring up a text file that has all the relevant information organized and visible at a glance.

For certain puzzles, maybe, but in general I can get answers faster on an FAQ, or by searching the board.

Monocle

A good resource for FAQs and codes, and the boards are great for game info that's sometimes tough to track down otherwise, like effective character builds, highly specific strategies, and pretty much anything to do with finding stuff, squeezing the most out of a system, or beating a pain in the ass enemy. People post all sorts of useful tips too. Obscure stuff you wouldn't necessarily find in your average guide.

Can't say much for the conversation on the boards, but then again, that's not really what the site is for.

WOT, or LUE. LUE is about as mature as OT, as the youngest person there is 18. LUE used to be /b/-lite, but, waaaay back in 03 it got shut down, no more members allowed to join. A decade later all the trolls left, and the ones who stayed matured.

From what I've read, it's impossible to join LUE now, right?

I have about 300-400 karma, I think, so I can see the karma rank boards up to legend, if that matters.

I usually try to play games faqless, and then go back through with the achievement guide to wrap up the points. The guide for Resident Evil 5 (all those gems) was pretty good to have.

Rootbeer

Banned
gamefaqs is getting a bit dated now in its approach to guides as well as its layout, but i've certainly found a lot of value there. If you google a question about specific details regarding a quest there is a very high chance of a gamefaqs thread being in the top results. I can usually find what I need very easily and with reliable answers.

I like the more wiki type of guides these days, but sometimes it's more useful (depending on the game and what kind of data you need) to just load up a huge 500kb txt file from gamefaqs and CTRL+F the stuff you need. txt guides have this advantage of speed and I find it a huge selling point -- well, except that the guides are free and so no sale is actually taking place... take that, bradygames!

Anyway, a lot of newer wiki guides rely heavily on things like embedded youtube videos and there's no guarantee those are going to be there forever. you can't top the easy archivability of a text file. PDFs are also nice for this.

Brera

Banned
The guides are second to none. Really well written and some games with a lot of depth are actually made better by the guides.

I've loved so many games and thought I knew everything about them and still found out new stuff reading the guides!

Sometimes it's nice seeing a skill or technique described and you worked it out yourself.

FaceDa

Banned
My User ID there was like, in the 3000s. Nobody that old posts there by now because there are better alternatives. The userbase seems to be a lot of kids, and guide wise something a lot of people can collaborate on is much more useful than a plaintext MY WORK ONLY DO NOT STEAL guide.

GlamFM

Banned
GameFaqs in a nutshell:

l5QIMUi.png

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I love the fact that it loads perfectly fine on an iPhone with zero issues.

Still my go-to place whenever I am stuck in something. People continue to spew shit about the boards, but I've always felt that they are a welcome addition to the FAQs (despite never contributing to the discussions) and always have been.

GameFaqs in a nutshell:

l5QIMUi.png

Outside of the signatures, it's almost like GAF.

NekoFever

My GameFAQs account has been active since January 2000 and I still regularly use it. The forums are horrific apart from a handful of decent game-specific ones, but otherwise it's a wonderful resource. Not only for FAQs, but stuff like international release dates, and the way it has box art for most games from every region. When I was heavily into importing and would play through whole games in Japanese despite not understanding a word of it, GameFAQs was invaluable.

I do think they need a push towards more media in FAQs, though. I've found myself checking IGN's wiki guides ahead of GameFAQs when I've been stuck recently because they have screenshots and videos.

My longest contribution is my Shenmue II guide at 111kb (45 pages).

Stuart444

On the "Not many faq authors use the wiki format for their guides" point. I know one complaint is that wiki formats will all look the same and that it leaves less room to make your guide/faq stand out. SBAllen did mention before in response to this that you would be able to use ASCII in the wiki guides (which you can and I've seen some with that) but many just prefer the text format so they can make their guides stylish and stand out/make it individualistic. (Something like that anyway).

I don't know how many people are even aware of this board but the faqs contributors have their own section with a board for each thing (ie walkthrough, reviews, etc) and a general board.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/2000094-faq-contributors-general

You'll usually see new changes posted there for feedback from some of the more high profile Faq authors such as AbsoluteSteve.

But yeah, just for anyone wondering why the wiki format hasn't exactly been adapted by the majority of the authors. Some people who don't post there might even have their own reasons (ie don't like wiki formats, think the mark up will make the guide locally look messy, etc)

I like the more wiki type of guides these days, but sometimes it's more useful (depending on the game and what kind of data you need) to just load up a huge 500kb txt file from gamefaqs and CTRL+F the stuff you need. txt guides have this advantage of speed and I find it a huge selling point

You can do the same with wiki type guides. Go to the bottom of any wiki type guide and you'll see "View as a single printable page: Variable | Fixed-Width"

Example of variable:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ds/661226-pokemon-black-version-2/faqs/64482?print=1

Granted, you don't have contents page with codes like [00023] or anything like that but it's still one page you can use for some quick searching.

daninthemix

GameFAQs is amazing for the guides. Sometimes I'll read a guide on there and see that it was written 15 years ago, and I wonder if the author is still alive.

I've still got a couple of guides up there.

Used to post on the forums, got banned once for something very slight. It used to be really easy to get a ban.

Dunan

Count me in with all the people who've replaced GameFAQs with GAF as their go-to game-talk site.

I've been on GameFAQs since around 2001 -- I have a 5-digit UID there and a 3-digit contributor ID -- and the discussion forums were great back then, but now when I go back they're barely readable. Having signatures certainly doesn't help. It's like a professional baseball player making the major leagues and flying first-class and then looking back on the long bus rides, dirty locker rooms, and cheap food of minor-league life. You just can't go back.

One of the ways I discovered GAF was that some people here were talking about a thread over there and singing my praises, and after that I registered to come here. It took a year to get approved but I sure am glad to have gotten the "call-up".

Top Bottom