• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want or expect from the next Fire Emblem?

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Awakening was an amazing game, but there's a few things I'd like to see in a sequel:

-A more serious art style. Nothing too serious, but something more akin to Radiant Dawn would be nice.

-The relationship/partner system should stay. Nerf partnering up, but definitely keep it in the game.

-The child system should stay, but the
time traveling
should go. Maybe tell a two part story this time, like in FE4?

-My Unit is a great concept, and I would love to see it in the next game. However, I'd like to see them take more of a backseat role this time. They were really pushed to the front of the plot in Awakening, and I feel it was at the expense of other characters.

-I would really love it on Wii U, but 3DS would be more than alright.

If I were a good OP, I would write a more comprehensive list... overall, though, I loved most of the features introduced in Awakening, and would like to see them stay and be refined for the sequel.

Josephl64

remove your avatar, revert how supports work to how they worked in older games, remove grinding, no customization and add more map variety (fog of war).

Gazoinks

I'd like something that feels a bit more coherent than Awakening, if that makes sense. Like, Awakening was intended as a celebration of the Fire Emblem series, which is awesome, but for the next game I hope they dial back a bit and apply more of a laser focus to the game design.

As far as specific points, I pretty much agree with your stuff. MU was a good idea, but comes off too fanfictiony because s/he is the best person ever and is a super genius tactician and is just so perfect etc. I'd also add that I vastly prefer the linear world mapless FE games, so I'd like a return to that.

leroidys

Basically everything from Fire Emblem Awakening but with:

+ Actual difficulty and strategy

+ A story to rival FFT

+ Feet

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Feet.

Fully 3D battlefield so there is no disconnect between your sprite model and the in-game model.

Be less Japanese with some characters.

I'd like to see the series evolve to look more like The Last Story. Basically make it feel less like "maps" and more like real places, and don't change to a different view to show battle animations. The series still has many vestigial elements that could be abandoned or overhauled.

For the sake of sales so the series continues existing:
Easy support conversations.
World map with grinding.
No-permadeath difficulty option

For personal enjoyment:

Wider objective variety.
Child units.
More unique special technique and crit animations.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I expect it to build on everything Awakening did, unfortunately.

I agree with the comment about map design. Improve that and balance the game better than Awakening and I guess I'll be good, even if I'm not a fan of Awakening's changes.

I'd like to see the series evolve to look more like The Last Story. Basically make it feel less like "maps" and more like real places, and don't change to a different view to show battle animations. The series still has many vestigial elements that could be abandoned or overhauled.

So make it not Fire Emblem? They would be better served making a new IP for something like that.

Griss

Above all I'd like to remove the ability to grind. You should be forced to make decisions based on which troops are succeeding and which aren't. Grinding removes all of that. Challenge maps should remain present but grant no exp.

On top of that I'd like to see a better story, no anime cut-scenes and better characters who aren't defined by one 'Flanders-esque' trait. There were too many characters like Kellam who were just a one-note 'thing' ('can anyone see me guys, lol seriously guys) rather than characters.

No DLC, please. Full-featured from the gate.

Gazoinks

I would prefer to not have a world map, but maybe I am a fossil.

Nah, I agree. Well, it's less about the map and more about grinding. I like the tension that having to be careful about XP distribution adds. It's another layer of strategy. I wouldn't mind a world map if they removed grinding and it was just used to get to stores and side missions.

Another game in the same vein as Awakening would be cool. If I could have it my way, I would also like one in the more classic style of chapter to chapter gameplay, with limited experience points.

Either way I would be happy. Maybe two Fire Emblem games. One in the style of Awakening, and another that is strictly chapter to chapter.

Also I hope the SMT X FE thing has Persona characters :p

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Keep the current formula, artist and writer.

That is all.

Also more voice work would be appreciated.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I would prefer to not have a world map, but maybe I am a fossil.

Yeah, no world maps, no grinding, no waifus, etc. would be ideal for me. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are my two favorite FE games so building on those would be preferable to building on Awakening. But Awakening probably outsold the last three or four FE games combined, so we're probably getting something that is effectively Awakening 2.

Awakening was the most full-featured FE game yet, I don't think the optional DLC that was completely unrelated to the main game/story was a problem.

Maybe they can make a grinding/ limited-exp difficulty toggle like the casual vs classic permadeath toggle. I'm pretty confident that if they return to a lmiited-exp system with no world map and grinding option, the franchise sales will shrink again and Fire Emblem will be in danger of getting locked up in the Nintendo vault.

Griss

I also think that they can't go back to the child units arriving through time travel mechanic.

A really good substitute would be to pick up child units (like Ross from FE8) and assign them two 'mentors' from your army. 3 battles later the child unit is ready to use, and has attributes of the two mentors you gave him, just like child units had the attributes of their parents in FE. That would be a good solution - retain the enjoyable 'genetic planning' gameplay without having to reuse the story justification.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Yeah, no world maps, no grinding, no waifus, etc. would be ideal for me. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn are my two favorite FE games so building on those would be preferable to building on Awakening. But Awakening probably outsold the last three or four FE games combined, so we're probably getting something that is effectively Awakening 2.

Awakening was the most full-featured FE game yet, I don't think the optional DLC that was completely unrelated to the main game/story was a problem.

The waifu thing was awesome since without it wouldnt have had the hilarious interactions with the various kids and their crazy personalities.

yaesir

Feet
Armor (changes the character apperance)

Online battles (actual multiplayer aka pvp).

More side stories.

Griss

It was the most full featured, without a doubt. The amount of content was amazing. I just hate DLC. I don't pay extra so I get less than others? I see games as creative works, and paid extras demean that. Also when Nintendo's servers shut one day, I'd rather have the whole game on a cart.

Levyne

Banned

Your sentiments echo mine. Thanks for typing it out for me, haha

Simzyy

Awakening was my first FE game so I don't know how it compares with the previous entries. That said, I thought the story was garbage so that is where I'd mainly like to see the game improved.

More customization as people have mentioned would be a bonus too.

I don't mind the world map. My personal favorite FE was Sacred Stones, and I thought the world map was a neat addition. The great part about it, was you DID NOT NEED TO GRIND, but at least the option was there. FE:A required grinding at times, and encourages it with all the class juggling.

I'm with you though, I would like another FE like Path or Radiant. The classic chapter to chapter FE would be fantastic. Kinda don't see it happening with the success of Awakening.

Griss

One thing I'd like to see improved as well is the sense of place and time and politics returning from the old FEs. In those you always had a strong sense of where each country on the map was, and what the political situation was in each country, and why you were fighting the battles you were in. In addition, some of those games showed that the opponent was not necessarily 'evil' but rather under the yoke of some political necessity that caused them to battle. That kinda stuff was fascinating, and the 'lol so evil' bad guys of FE Awakening made for a terrible plot by comparison.

You roll up to an entire continent and take it down in what, 5 battles? It had such a terrible sense of time, scope and scale.

Shun

What Nintendo/Intelligent Systems really should do is localize Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~, the Japanese only remake of the original Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem, and release it on the eShop for the West.

If anything, they can do a second remake to Fire Emblem: Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~ and use Fire Emblem Awakening's engine to redo the game. That game is as long and as expansive as Awakening, with the the second largest playable cast to date.

It'd be a nice refresher as to the roots of the Fire Emblem series and it'd be great to lure in veterans and newcomers of the series to Marth's story and how the Fire Emblem Universe came to be.

I really wouldn't mind a remake for the Genealogy of War and Thracia 776 series cause those were like the holy grails of the Fire Emblem series. They should also add onto the combat system by returning tomb triangles and make it so that the Support Conversation Log is easier to complete cause holy hell that thing is so time consuming to 100%. I want to be able to reread all my support conversations whenever I want and Intelligent Systems sure isn't making it easy...

What I would DIE to have is a overdue Fire Emblem fighting game developed by Arc System Works. Arc System Works has proven to be an amazing fighting game developer as seen in BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena and I really think that the cast of Fire Emblem has so much to offer in a 2D, sprite based Anime fighter. The artwork matches and there's no doubt the gameplay will be fluid and fun.

It'd be similar to how Persona 4 Arena worked off the Persona cast and if Arc System Works were to make this fighting game, it's most likely that they'd use the cast of Awakening for the game and expand on that.

I mean who wouldn't want to play as Owain, Kjelle, Inigo, or Severa and fight each other in a battle royale. Abilities like Aether, Luna, Sol, Lethality, Astra, etc could be used through the Super Meter and each of the Character Portrait Cut Ins we see in Awakening could be potentially used in the said fighting game.

If Nintendo/Intelligent Systems were to see this come true and work with Arc System Works, I have no doubt that the Wii U or maybe the next Nintendo console will have an amazing arcade fighter with fight stick support. Nintendo could also opt for an Arcade release as a lot of Nintendo games have had arcade releases in the past.

I really really really want a game like this to happen because it makes so much sense and I can only imagine how beautiful the sprites would look in motion and how fun it'd be to play as Tharja or Lucina and just have an all out brawl.

Chrom could take over the Sol Badguy/Ragna Bloodedge type character while Lucina or Lon'qu takes over the Ky Kisuke/Jin Kisaragi type character.

There's really so much you could do with such an attractive cast. You have no idea how much I want to see this as an Arc System Fighting Game.

A more nuanced story and same sex relationships. (Maybe a bit more map variety too.)

Everything else from Awakening was aces.

Awakening was my first FE game so I don't know how it compares with the previous entries. That said, I thought the story was garbage so that is where I'd mainly like to see the game improved.

Awakening is almost a different game when compared to older ones. It's still a fantastic game in it's own right. Since Awakening is your first one, it might be hard to go back to the older games that were release in NA. Maybe try Sacred Stones since it has a world map. Or maybe try Path of Radience since it has Skills, though nowhere near as complex as the 5-skill set ups of FE:A.

Jachaos

More like Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Canto, nerf pair-up, Rescue, Reinforcements that come in before a turn, Elevation in maps, Fog of War, Bonus EXP and no grinding, Multiple types of objectives (Rescue, Escape, Rout, Survive, Kill ___ in ___ turns, etc.), limited EXP/class changes so people don't have gods and finally a story to rival PoR/RD (especially on the world building side - I felt I knew MUCH more about every region in those than in Awakening. Edit : Also, those games had political intrigue, interracial themes, great military stuff happening, great storyline running in parallel in RD... in Awakening it was one storyline you followed all along and too much dragon and god stuff that was basically good/evil. In RD, gods and the likes were more on the grey morality side of things and the whole story was deeper. Blood pacts, laguz, Apostle, etc.)

Keep the pair-up (but nerfed like I said), support conversations, amount of content (just no grinding but I like extra maps outside of the story, etc.)

Add online multiplayer (I want to face a friend with my team, it would add much replayability to the game. Though to be fair I did run through the many Acts of Radiant Dawn over five times on Hard and I did sink in way over 100 hours in Awakening so it's not like replayability is that much of a concern. I'd simply like online multiplayer, both competitive and co-op. I like the multi in Advance Wars, I know you can do it IS.

What I would DIE to have is a overdue Fire Emblem fighting game developed by Arc System Works

No thank you, never enjoyed the Arc System Works fighting games.

While on the topic of fighting games, Marth is in SSB4, I hope Chrom or Lucina will be in it as well. Even if either one just turns out to be superior Marth clone.

Semajer

I'm expecting a continuation of what Fire Emblem: Awakening was. Which I enjoyed greatly, but it felt very rushed, had a disappointing story, and despite the great amount of content, felt very samey in terms of objectives and map design. I expect that they will add things like ballistae, ranged magic and fog of war maps, but I REALLY hope they add some proper objectives, I'm sick of "go from one side of the map to the other and kill everything". The best part of Fire Emblem (for me) is the siege maps where you have the option to defend for a number of turns, or to kill the boss. It's usually very challenging, and fun to juggle between repelling the enemy and breaking through them to reach the boss. Of course I subscribe to the reasoning that every enemy unit must die.

I'm happy with Awakening's unrestricted support conversations and re-class ability, but I want the difficulty to reflect how powerful your units are, with enemy units getting better stats, weapons, and skills as your own level increases. They should look to Radiant Dawn to see how to do a story, and to Path of Radiance to show how to tell it. Those two games what I consider one of the finest, and well told, stories in any game I've played. The world is built so thoroughly, and it's really very engaging.

What I'd REALLY want is the option to choose between two opposing kingdoms at the start of the game, with different maps, and story that leads to a conclusion that ties both stories together, or maybe like Radiant Dawn where you alternate between different teams of characters. I mainly want this because it's a good way to customise the game for different players; you could have characters that either side could recruit, and different children resulting from which side recruits them. Then there could be chapters where the kingdoms are fighting against one another, and the teams that you've built would fight one another, like in Radiant Dawn.

I'd also like some more experimental short story DLC, like Fire Emblem: Mars, Prehistoric Fire Emblem, with dinosaurs, and cavemen tribes, and shit, and also some of the smaller back-stories in previous games that were never elaborated on.

In the mean time I'd like an update of Path of Radiance, and Radiant Dawn, either for Wii U or 3DS:

Fire Emblem: Tales of the Blue Flame - A collection of Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn with: Widescreen for both games, a revamped skill system for Path of Radiance, support conversations for Radiant Dawn, rebalanced difficulty modes for both games where people outside of Japan get all the difficulties this time, with better translations, and the ability to speed up battle animations like in Awakening. It would also give them the chance to finish translating the more detailed Radiant Dawn story text, so we get the same story content Japan did.

TreIII

shunxsato said:
What I would DIE to have is a overdue Fire Emblem fighting game developed by Arc System Works

I honestly think Namco (giving Project Soul more work) would be a better choice for such a prospect, assuming Pokkén wasn't already a possibility. I just don't think airdashes would work well with representing FE as a fighting game.

orborborb

more interesting map design
3d units in map view (I honestly probably won't buy the next one if they don't fix this, alternatively they could go completely 2d)
one or two properly designed difficulty levels instead of a half dozen unbalanced ones with grinding to make up for it

Shengar

In this era and age, I hope they let us create or edit map and shared it. Though that is a very unlikely feature for a Nintendo game.
Keep the current formula, artist and writer.

That is all.

Also more voice work would be appreciated.

They should keep Yuusuke Kozaki (The art director though must approach the character design with less fetish. More Miriel/Anna/Lucina, less Nowi/Cherche.) but they absolutely must replace the writer.

NeonZ

Personally:

-Keep the world map, but add a mode where the player just goes from one story map to the next one automatically - making any kind of challenge battle impossible (like how we already can choose to deactivate perma-death). The world map in that option only would open up after finishing the last story chapter. That would mean they'd have to balance the game to be finished without grinding, but without sacrificing all the extra content that an open worldmap potentially allows.

-Keep pair up, but make its bonuses not rng based. That would also potentially allow them to give the pair up ability to enemies. Also, limit the dual attacks to attacks that would be possible for the unit (so, if it'd be out of range, it wouldn't be usable, a brave sword in the main unit shouldn't give extra changes of dual attacks. Maybe give bow users free range though, since they really need more advantages).

-Either bring back the weight system, or heavily rebalance energy draining spells.

-Keep the support and children mechanics, although maybe they should attempt an actual timeskip this time, like in FE4?

-Keep Guest/Crossover characters from other FEs, but implement them better. I'm not even talking about actually unique 3d models, but details like color pallets should be doable, rather than giving everyone the same colors. On the other hand, the paid DLC ones really should be as fully featured as main game characters.

Soriku

Turn it into an actual strategy RPG. I've only played FE: Awakening but the game breaks so easily. The Priam map with almost 50 dudes you can solo with just a Sorceror with Nosferatu, paired up with someone else. No thinking, no "strategy" involved. WTF?

Also write an actually good story.

Burnburn

I just want good map design again.

This pretty much, give me epic battles and not squares and re-used ideas from previous FE's. Some variety ffs.

Ditch the map.

Get rid of the absolutely stupid reinforcement system ("Look out, reinforcements are coming in some turns" is no indication of anything).

An actual good story again with story choices that matter or hell even change things.

Awakening layed a really good foundation, but that was about it. Give me the things I listed above and it would be my favourite FE.

More like Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Canto, nerf pair-up, Rescue, Reinforcements that come in before a turn, Elevation in maps, Fog of War, Bonus EXP and no grinding, Multiple types of objectives (Rescue, Escape, Rout, Survive, Kill ___ in ___ turns, etc.), limited EXP/class changes so people don't have gods and finally a story to rival PoR/RD (especially on the world building side - I felt I knew MUCH more about every region in those than in Awakening. Edit : Also, those games had political intrigue, interracial themes, great military stuff happening, great storyline running in parallel in RD... in Awakening it was one storyline you followed all along and too much dragon and god stuff that was basically good/evil. In RD, gods and the likes were more on the grey morality side of things and the whole story was deeper. Blood pacts, laguz, Apostle, etc.)

Keep the pair-up (but nerfed like I said), support conversations, amount of content (just no grinding but I like extra maps outside of the story, etc.)

Add online multiplayer (I want to face a friend with my team, it would add much replayability to the game. Though to be fair I did run through the many Acts of Radiant Dawn over five times on Hard and I did sink in way over 100 hours in Awakening so it's not like replayability is that much of a concern. I'd simply like online multiplayer, both competitive and co-op. I like the multi in Advance Wars, I know you can do it IS.

Quoting this because he basicly said what I tried to say, but more elequent.

turnbuckle

Above all I'd like to remove the ability to grind. You should be forced to make decisions based on which troops are succeeding and which aren't. Grinding removes all of that. Challenge maps should remain present but grant no exp.

On top of that I'd like to see a better story, no anime cut-scenes and better characters who aren't defined by one 'Flanders-esque' trait. There were too many characters like Kellam who were just a one-note 'thing' ('can anyone see me guys, lol seriously guys) rather than characters.

That all sounds very good.

Less grinding. If there is a child mechanic, redesign it so it doesn't require hours of grinding to see its content.
Valkyria Chronicles

You're a madman.

Awakening was full-featured. If anything the DLC suffered because they are glorified cheats or unlocks for overpowered abilities that don't belong in the main game.

Also write an actually good story.
But then it wouldn't be a Fire Emblem game.

luokyl

The worst part of Awakening was the lack of variety in the missions. The clear condition for every map was "rout" (or defeat boss? I can't remember, it's been a while), and while those are the missions I generally like the best in Fire Emblem games, the lack of a "defend" mission made me sad.

Again a problem with Awakening, the story seemed to be put on the back burner to sacrifice for mechanics, and while the mechanics were goddamn awesome; I'd like to see another story on par with Fire Emblem 4, or even 9 for that matter.

The only thing I missed was a bit more mission variety / I´d love better map design.

The rest was pretty much top notch already, the artdirection was pretty great (I don´t dislike the more classic/90s design of the older games, but it was nice to have something fresh) and the music was great too.

Isn´t FE: A close to or the bestselling game in the series ?

Top Bottom