• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What do you want or expect from the next Fire Emblem?

Kyzon

More classes, and more beautiful cutscenes.

Oh, and allow me to be black (since I am) in any avatar I may be creating.

Edit: I didn't have any qualms with Awakening. That system just worked for me.

McNum

If they're going to have a world map again then they need to have the mission structure being different in the next game. It's heavily not utilizing various branching missions that cascade into different results and such. Sacred Stones sort of did this with the branching Ephraim and Eirika storylines but I'm expecting something much more expansive.
Branching mission paths could be fun, really. Or at least optional missions to aid you in future missions. Like raiding an enemy armory to downgrade the enemies in the next map from Silver to Iron weapons or something. Make the strategic part matter a bit, even if it's only side missions, if you have a world map.

kswiston

"It's weird that people have all these valid concerns, but they are completely eliminated by the fact that one of these concerns has existed in the past".

Nope.

You can not like the same turn reinforcements if you want. I don't agree that they are random. I would say that, other than in 2-3 maps, the reinforcements are pretty predictable. You either get a warning, or they spawn from forts. However, this is not some new exercise in bad game design. Every FE has reinforcements. Same turn reinforcements only occur in Awakening's Hard/Lunatic difficulties. Before Intelligent System toned down the difficulty with FE7, same turn reinforcements were a series standard. Makes sense to see it return in the harder game modes.

Improve the battle animations.

FE GBA games were sweet with their sprite animations.

FE Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn mastery skills were cool as well.

FE Awakening attacks were just abysmal to look at.

kswiston

Improve the battle animations.

FE GBA games were sweet with their sprite animations.

FE Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn mastery skills were cool as well.

FE Awakening attacks were just abysmal to look at.

I liked that the GBA animations were quick. I turn off animations in every game past that point because they take forever. I wish that Awakening would use the same map animation option that Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn used though. That was a good compromise if you didn't want to sit through the screen switch animations, but also didn't want to just se units bump into eachother.

EDIT: Oops. Didn't mean to double post

Astral Dog

Awakening is one of my favorite portable games and the best FE i played, so i would like a sequel on a home console/Wii U.
The story was ok, what i liked most were the characters, and i think they shined most in the support conversations.

kswiston

The return of the fog of war, defense maps, balista, and more things that we lost on awakening

We lost a lot of these things when they switched back to handhelds with the DS entries (other than Balistas, which I think were in FE11/12). I suppose you can argue that those were remakes of early/simple titles, but I am not sure why they weren't brought back for Awakening. I agree that more mission variety would be welcome. One of my two major complaints, along with my issue with respeccing.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
One thing I forgot to mention in my last post is that I would like to axe the unit respeccing that we have had in the last few titles. Intelligent Systems seems to have no real interest in balancing it (so that it works with the RNG character progression system), so they should just go back to making units a set class, outside of the Avatar unit. Everyone in Awakening was so interchangeable/overpowered due to the unit respeccing. What is the point of giving units different growth rates, if you can just respec until almost everything is maxed?

I liked the branching promotions. They could combine that with Radiant Dawn's double promotion to add a ton of variety. Perhaps tie the second promotion into the marriage feature instead of having marriages lead to child units.

Branching promotions was pretty cool in 8 onwards, not sure if I agree with the double promotion system. Things got a bit out of hand in Radiant Dawn because of it.

The interchangeability comes from every unit having 4-5 classes to choose from. If they'd kept it limited at 2 or 3, it would have helped, along with the more unique visual identity problem.

I think some people are mistaking their completionist mentality for forced grinding. On the Normal Difficulty, grinding leaves you ridiculously overpowered by the end of the game. Yes, you may need to grind out some optional maps to get everyone's relationship to S-Rank, and work up some of the child units, but that is all optional side material. If you aren't trying to "catch them all" you can beat the main storyline no problem without ever touching a side map.

To be fair, a good chunk of the game comes from S-ranks and kids, and sometimes that can take a bit of a grind unless you're min-maxing hearts from the start of the game.

-Fog of War
-Make it so every single fucking mission isn't ROUT THE ENEMY ROUT THE ENEMY DEFEAT COMMANDER
-Where's my Light Magic
-Make it so that both of the Lords aren't the exact same
-Make it so that enemies can actually crit you without the need of a Killing Edge
-Bring back mechanics from Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn like elevation

Good stuff here, having different Lords in 7 and 8 was much, much better than having carbon copies in Awakening.

I was wondering where the light magic was, but it seems to be the first thing to go from the magic triangle.

I am probably alone on this, but I'd like to remove optional battles as a whole and return to the Path of Radiance-style "You have this many battles, better make each kill count" system.

Eh, then you still run into xp problems by way of getting bonus experience. I would like some return to evalutation, though, be it the barely there ratings in 7, or the amount of bonus xp depending on turns taken, etc.

Honestly, I'd like a more fleshed out story with less focus on the avatar. Bringing back important people like Innes, Matthew, pr L'arachel from the GBA games. They had actual impact given their weight of import in the story as a narrative character. It wasn't a lot, but was much better than fighting to get screen time in Chrom's or the Avatar's shadow.

kswiston

Branching promotions was pretty cool in 8 onwards, not sure if I agree with the double promotion system. Things got a bit out of hand in Radiant Dawn because of it.

I think some of that had to with the crazy stat inflation that came with having 60 character levels (theoretically). Maybe pool first and second promo levels to a total of 20 by not having you reset to level 1 on the second promotion, and make that final promo about specializing your role rather than crazy stats. I'm not all that attached to the idea though. I liked the branching promos in Awakening as they were.

To be fair, a good chunk of the game comes from S-ranks and kids, and sometimes that can take a bit of a grind unless you're min-maxing hearts from the start of the game.

I suppose so. Still, I kind of view some of that stuff in a similar light to the couple endings in previous Fire Emblems. Some of those were hard to get as well. Now you get more of a tangible benefit for your troubles.

I expect

- As in Awakening, a setting that was designed in an afternoon. Little to no world building.

- Similarly, most of the characters' will again consist solely of a single jokey personality trait.

- More creepy eugenics-style human breeding and Mary Sue -esque wish fulfillment via the avatar character.

- Not to mention more pedo-dragon shit.

- Somewhat lazy and repetitive stage design, "redeemed" by the ability to grind
infinitely and buy worthless DLC.

- Decent production values.

I want

None of the above (except for the production values). Give me something more in the style of PoR/RD and I will be happy. I guess it's too late for that though.

This is a problem in every Fire Emblem. A few characters that are important to the main plot get some development. Others are mostly caricatures.

They went way overboard with that in Awakening though. No way is the "jokeyness" at the same level as it was in, say, PoR.

Mik317

Awakening was one of my favorite games last year...

But it can fix some things.

Nerf pair up. After a certain point you could solo maps. It was too op.

Make battles end with more than just kill this guy or kill errbody. More defense missions and other objectives.

Keep weaksauce mode aka no permadeath. It helped my OCD and constant resets a ton.

Better story. I loved the cast of characters but at the end of the day the actual story was lame and didn't use them. I guess that the permadeath system makes that tough tho but still a bit better.

Keep the my unit system but make me less of a God of the battlefield maybe? Chrom basically became a background character.

Most importantly tho.... Just make it. That or al Advance wars game... No grim dark please.

Everything else was great tho. I liked grinding relationships. I liked the character relationships and how that interacted with each other.

Draxal

Perhaps 'Waifu Emblem' should be a new sub-series where they keep a lot of stuff from Awakening, and they can continue Fire Emblem in the vein as 7,9,10 for future entries.

Error waifu emblem has been in the game since 1.

And man the people wanting a Thracia type game are just going to be let down.

Anyway, I want light magic back.

Actually, I kinda want a remake of Fe6-7, with all the parents from 7 passing their skills down to six.

mihon

I agree with most things mihon said, FE in general should be harder and less forgiving than in Awakening, especially when you have casual mode for the people not into the unforgivingness.

One thing though: How should they make Archers viable again? Their inability to hit from close range makes them a bad option in every way, especially when most classes have 1-2 range and the reclassing.

I really want reclassing to go though, it allows you to break the game by just reclassing everyone to the most overpowered class and wreck shit. Like turn everyone into Berserkers, Sorcerers and Dark Fliers. So monotonous.

Balancing archers is not that hard.

First IS need to give them good stats. For some reason archers almost always have low stats, which does not make sense.

Second, give them 2-3 range by default. One of the reasons for Shinon being amazing in Radian Dawn was that 3 range when promoted. We could go even further and have some bows with 4 range. How crazy that would be?

Third, improve bows. Make them have the highest physical damage amongst all weapons. We would need to rebalance some other stuff though, but I feel that's the way.

Lastly, they could give archers some novel skills. Referencing Berwick Saga again (seriously, everybody needs to play that game), 2 archers in that game had a skill called "Shooter", which was basically Overwatch from the X-com series. When an archer was in shooter mode, it would fire in any units that would enter its attack range. If the enemy unit was hit and took damage, its turn would end. A simple, strategic and elegant skill that is better designed than any skill in Awakening.

kswiston

Balancing archers is not that hard.

First IS need to give them good stats. For some reason archers almost always have low stats, which does not make sense.

Second, give them 2-3 range by default. One of the reasons for Shinon being amazing in Radian Dawn was that 3 range when promoted. We could go even further and have some bows with 4 range. How crazy that would be?

Third, improve bows. Make them have the highest physical damage amongst all weapons. We would need to rebalance some other stuff though, but I feel that's the way.

Lastly, they could give archers some novel skills. Referencing Berwick Saga again (seriously, everybody needs to play that game), 2 archers in that game had a skill called "Shooter", which was basically Overwatch from the X-com series. When an archer was in shooter mode, it would fire in any units that would enter its attack range. If the enemy unit was hit and took damage, its turn would end. A simple, strategic and elegant skill that is better designed than any skill in Awakening.

You then end up with a situation like Tactics Ogre, where Archers are extremely OP'd. I think a good compromise would be to introduce more 3 tile ranged bows. Have them be 1-2 points weaker than the 2 tile bows at the same level, but have a variety of them beyond long bows at each weapon level.

How in the world did Awakening sell so much when I look back at it and I can only think of it as a decent Fire Emblem game?

Da waifus? The cutscenes during commercials? Boxart?

I mean it's still a good game but what caused this sudden spike in sales. Pent up demand or something?

Draxal

How in the world did Awakening sell so much when I look back at it and I can only think of it as a decent Fire Emblem game?

Da waifus? The cutscenes during commercials? Boxart?

I mean it's still a good game but what caused this sudden spike in sales. Pent up demand or something?

+Not ugly (the ds games and POR/RD were ugly games, it's polish is easily the strongest in the series.
+Popular system (DS game was bad so word of mouth killed that game, RD was a direct sequel to POR so that probably hurt its sales).
+Very approachable.

mihon

You then end up with a situation like Tactics Ogre, where Archers are extremely OP'd. I think a good compromise would be to introduce more 3 tile ranged bows. Have them be 1-2 points weaker than the 2 tile bows at the same level, but have a variety of them beyond long bows at each weapon level.

I don't think these would make them extremely OP'd, but who knows? Maybe doing all of this would be overkill. The designers would certainly need to test a ton before coming with a good balance though. From my understanding, archers in Tactics Ogre were OP because they could move after attacking, which is not possible in FE. Unless we are talking about mounted archers. Then forget everything I said :).

In most Fire Emblem games, a unit's performance in the enemy phase has always been more important than the performance in the player phase. Archers always have had abysmal performance in the enemy phase due to lack of counter at 1 range. So, the way I see it, we need to give archers a massive improvement at the player phase.

Or we could have better map design, with lots of checkpoints and few open fields. Or go the FE12 Lunatic way: make avoid and dodging attacks a rarity, nerf 1~2 weapons and give enemy units broken forged weapons with massive damage. But I certainly don't like that option.

Anyway, I think we call agree that something needs to change with archers.

I wasn't a fan of having to spend countless hours grinding up relationships. I'd like a revamping of that system if it's going to stick around, and also better balancing of the difficulties (which was pretty abysmal in Awakening). Feet would be nice too, but it didn't bother me quite as much as it did some people.

Firemind

Archers are a fine class. They're called Nomadic Troopers/Bow Knights.

Class balancing doesn't bother me much. There should be advantages and disadvantages of each class. Some are more valuable than others, like chess pieces. There's nothing wrong with that. Reclassing is bullshit, because it invalidates this structure and therefore the whole point of an SRPG: strategic planning. Fire Emblem's earlier installments are true strategic RPGs, unlike FFT and TO which I view more as tactical RPGs. In Fire Emblem, you have to plan your army ahead to overcome obstacles. In the chapter preparations menu, you put the pieces into place in such a way to beat said obstacles, and in the future. You have to account for environmental hazards, range of vision, enemy thieves, bolting or other similar threats, likely places to spawn reinforcements, specific enemies with high stats/weapons. Every chapter is like a puzzle to prevent your units from dying. The thrill of surviving multiple brawls after seeing ambushing reinforcements is unmatched. I'd like those feels back.

hao chi

I'm hoping the pairing up system is kept but has limitations. By this I mean I think at least some stats should decrease when you're paired up, or maybe different types of characters will improve/lower different stats. Also, I think the maps and units allowed on a map should be designed so just pairing everybody up at the beginning isn't always the best course of action.

Also, more variety in missions as already mentioned. Fog of war and various win conditions would be nice.

What I would DIE to have is a overdue Fire Emblem fighting game developed by Arc System Works. Arc System Works has proven to be an amazing fighting game developer as seen in BlazBlue and Persona 4 Arena and I really think that the cast of Fire Emblem has so much to offer in a 2D, sprite based Anime fighter. The artwork matches and there's no doubt the gameplay will be fluid and fun.

It'd be similar to how Persona 4 Arena worked off the Persona cast and if Arc System Works were to make this fighting game, it's most likely that they'd use the cast of Awakening for the game and expand on that.

I mean who wouldn't want to play as Owain, Kjelle, Inigo, or Severa and fight each other in a battle royale. Abilities like Aether, Luna, Sol, Lethality, Astra, etc could be used through the Super Meter and each of the Character Portrait Cut Ins we see in Awakening could be potentially used in the said fighting game.

You have no idea how badly I've been wanting this. Fire Emblem has such a great cast of characters for Arc Sys to go nuts with.

I think letting players grind is fine in a series where the developers throw units at you, particularly over the course of the game. A limited supply of experience just seems silly in the context of the rest of the game and discourages experimentation to everyone, except the hardcore.

Pau

I think letting players grind is fine in a series where the developers throw units at you, particularly over the course of the game. A limited supply of experience just seems silly in the context of the rest of the game and discourages experimentation to everyone, except the hardcore.
Maybe there can be a setting that locks you into only playing the story-mode chapters. I dunno, I liked the choice of no-permadeath in Awakening. Even if I might never use it, if it allows more people to enjoy the game, I think having more options like that can be neat.

Josephl64

This basically.

Please, PLEASE, remove pairing. Also, hire better writers.

Someone who agrees~

Yeah, I didn't want to mention writers, but the story was subpar. I don't see why people find to be the best FE. But seeing as how FE: Kakusei saved the franchise, the next game will probably be almost exactly like it sadly enough :/

kswiston

In most Fire Emblem games, a unit's performance in the enemy phase has always been more important than the performance in the player phase. Archers always have had abysmal performance in the enemy phase due to lack of counter at 1 range. So, the way I see it, we need to give archers a massive improvement at the player phase.

Anyway, I think we call agree that something needs to change with archers.

I think they could just give them an evasive skill or two + appropriate stats so that they are hard to hit. The fact that archers are preferentially targeted by enemy units is part of the strategy, especially if you know your unit can take (or dodge) a hit. I wouldn't want to lose that by making them counterattack like everyone else.

CSX

Assuming we are talking about improvements over Awakening

Better map designs is the big one

Less focus on romantic supports. I recall characters that u would think definitely had supports with each other but don't. You don't need to have everyone potentially marrying everyone at expense of missing obvious supports. I'm fine with the marriage system though in general.

Overall as long as it has the same basic FE gameplay and non atrocious artstyle , I will buy it in a heartbeat.

Pau

I think they could just give them an evasive skill or two + appropriate stats so that they are hard to hit. The fact that archers are preferentially targeted by enemy units is part of the strategy, especially if you know your unit can take (or dodge) a hit. I wouldn't want to lose that by making them counterattack like everyone else.
My archers have always been dodging beasts. They're my favorite class. I didn't know people thought they needed improving.

_hekk05

Banned
Pairing has always been part of the central strategy in Waifu Emblem to gain more stats. Back when you couldn't just grind your units to insane levels, pairing up was one of the only ways to leverage your units to the max. Also the children thing is straying too close to Agarest. The supports used to also have non-romantic endings too. (Not sure about FE:A)

Also pegasus knights were always beasts for me. Florina with max stats ftw.

kswiston

My archers have always been dodging beasts. They're my favorite class. I didn't know people thought they needed improving.

Yup. I could see someone thinking that if they were coming off of POR/RD, since Shinon and a properly leveled Rolf were ridiculous. You could leave them in the middle of a squadron of enemies on lower difficulties and they would be fine. However, snipers have always been a good class.

CSX

Thats what necessary for archers to be in order to be good in any FE. An archer who cant dodge and have to protect is a worthless archer.

Pau

Yup. I could see someone thinking that if they were coming off of POR/RD, since Shinon and a properly leveled Rolf were ridiculous. You could leave them in the middle of a squadron of enemies on lower difficulties and they would be fine. However, snipers have always been a good class.
Yeah, Rolf was some sort of demigod. No other archers have come close to that in any of the other games I've played (admittedly, none of the Japan-only ones) but I figure that has a bit more to do with getting generally crappy level ups.

Voliko

Want: Strategy, balance, varied objectives, well designed maps, less focus on stats and RNG, elevation, taking into account which direction units are facing, etc
Expect: Awakening to the max. More waifu's, wide open fields, more customization that allows breaking the game balance, grinding, little strategy.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, Rolf was some sort of demigod. No other archers have come close to that in any of the other games I've played (admittedly, none of the Japan-only ones) but I figure that has a bit more to do with getting generally crappy level ups.

I found that in Radiant Dawn, Shinon and Rolf are pretty much interchangeable but Shinon comes with like 10 levels on him and they share similar availability so Rolf doesn't see much use, typically, unless I force myself to change it up.

One idea would be to give bows more range but lessening damage the farther you have to shoot, so taking an archer in close could pay off with a kill but leave you more defenseless.

Top Bottom