• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

kunonabi

My attempts to play fighters online with my so-called "gaming laptop" have crashed and burned so I'm back to 13 Sentinels and I also started Terminator: Resistance since it was on sale.

I just finished Tales of Eternia for the first time. I already considered it one of the best in the series, and one of the best games ever... and boy, I hadn't even unlocked the aifishes yet (let alone the aibirds)! That was a fucking ride, the final fight was just great, and the ending pretty cool as well. Not going to bother with the NG+ for a while though, the bonus dungeon and Maxwell Extensions will wait.

Next on the waiting list is... Tales of Symphonia I guess, or I go back to Titan Quest a bit first.

Vagswarm

Finished up Gears 5 which was a great time. It's definitely better than I thought it would be, based on some of the negative feedback it received. Really had no problems with it at all, and it wasn't as frustrating as some of the other games.

Since then I started Prey for the first time -- pretty sure it's the latest release / reboot. It's a little weird and I have no idea what's going on (although familiar enough in terms of gameplay), but the suspense has me intrigued. I've noticed in a lot of these singleplayer games, it's the mystery and uncertainty that keeps me / the player engaged.

Last edited:

lachesis

Was going to continue on the Great Ace Attorney on the Switch, I realized that I had not finished Spirit of Justices on my 3DS.
As obtuse person I am, decided to finish that game first (as I consider them as a series), before moving onto the Great Attorney, even though I'm sure they are not really connected at all. Heck, it literally happens hundred years ago. ;)

So I turned on my 3DS for the first time in a few years - and realized my original 3DS (one that I overpaid and they gave me the ambassador games)'s battery isn't holding any charge - even though it was left on the charging cradle all hooked up. Not too kin about being stuck to the wall with 3DS, I ordered a new battery from Nintendo and waiting for it to get here.

In the mean time, finally finished setting up the retro setup with CRT monitor, minis + Retro Pie + PS3. I was just testing out Persona 3 FES that I bought a couple years back on PS3 - and decided to roll with it for the heck of it. I haven't played Persona 3 before, so not really sure what to expect - coming from P4G, P5, P5R and P5S. It is indeed pretty nostalgic playing on dinky 17" CRT monitor sitting on a bean bag - and already spent a few hours into the game.

rZHkb3D.jpg

I know it gets a lot of praise for the stories, and turns pretty dark on the later on - but I'm still on the beginning of the story - and honestly so far, it's feels pretty slow to me. There's obviously some apathy syndrome cases going around, and SEES is supposed to stop by fighting shadows - but nothing feels urgent or imminent that hits home. Like what happend to Saki on P4 in the beginning part, or general circumstances that surrounds the protagonist that leads to one thing to another like in P5... As per storytelling so far, P4 or P5 seem to have better "beat" or "grab/bite" at least in the beginning. Just about to get to my 1st full moon, so something's supposed happen? Hopefully it will pick up the pace a bit.

Characters are... honestly not my favorite designs - but am willing to give them a chance. Kinda reminds of Eva character designs in some ways. Color palette and all reminds me of that too... - and they are not my favorite types either, but learned to live with them with Eva, so hopefully it will be the case. English voice acting do feel off, or at least old-fashioned in a bit - but willing to overlook them and give it a go... although I'd love to hear JP version too. So far, I'm enjoying it and mildly curious - but I'm not particularily feeling attached to any of the characters just yet. Perhaps it's the design, or how they talk - they do seem a bit distant.

Biggest issue that I have right now is the "condition" meter - Hopefully it'd be early game thing - but Yukari and Junpei just tire so easily... that even though I'd like to move up the Tartaros, it's difficult to level them up in fights due to they just leave when they are tired. I heard that the night before the full moon being a good chance to level up from somewhere, so perhaps I'll give a go then - but at the same time there are so many things to do for the social links - so not sure how I should proceed balancing the exploration & leveling up + earning some $$$. On P4 and 5 - used to finish the dungeon/palace in 1 go & level up to my liking - unless the story limits the progress like P5.

Looks like avoiding the regular battles & progressing to the higher level, then return/recharge at the lobby & go back to fight may be the best way. At least the SPs seem to recharge to max when you return to the lobby. (Already wasted several snuff souls not knowing. :()

Also trying to keep some Personas that matches my Social Link for the bonus points when I interact with them - but compendium isn't available yet... so it's little cumbersome to go back and gather the personas & fuse to the ones that I need. I hear that compendium will be available not too long, so that would make things a bit easier. Basically my qualm about the game being lacking some QoL conveniences like quick travels and all... but in fact, it's pretty old game - so I guess I will have to deal with it.

Music wise - it's quite late 90/early 2000s hip-hop influenced one. I'm okay with the music, I'm having some issues with some blown out sound of the beats.. (like the sound distortion as if you play on your cheap headphone at loud volume). Perhaps it's my dinky creative speakers can't just deal with that or whatnot & played in lower volume, but it just seems like that distortion is actually baked into the original music. When I play the opening music on YouTube on better bookshelf speaker, the issue doesn't seem to be as apparent but still there somewhat - so maybe the OST CD didn't have that type of issue, or maybe it's the PS3 audio issue, emulating PS2 games?

Shai-Tan

Banned
I'm playing Roguebook and Tainted Grail. They're roguelike card battlers of mid tier quality but preferable to playing better games like Monster Train that I burned out on around 300 hours. Of the two Tainted Grail is more popular but I personally prefer Roguebook so far

Reactions: MrS

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Finished Super Mario World a few days ago. Did all 96 exists, which felt nice since I think it's the first time I manage to do so. Really liked the game, looking for the secret exits it's pretty fun.

Also recently started Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Only a few hours in but I think I'm liking it, specially the writing, which makes the characters very charismatic.

Just finished "Lost Words beyond the Page".
Walking sim story game with a few puzzle elements. Took me 5 hours and 20 min.
Game went through the stages of grief of a little girl losing a family member. Melencholy tone like many of these types of small games. But was a good quick story walkthrough.
Now I'm all depressed and need to fire up something with a little more bang bang shooty shooty.

I keep going back to Sniper Elite 4 - something morbidly relaxing about it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Also playing The Artful Escape and Psychonauts 2, although I seem to have fallen off that a bit. Was playing Kena but I gave up when I realized that is just overhyped beyond belief - the definition of average. Everything for me is just killing time until Forza really. Can. Not. Wait.

Playing a game only my fellow cricket loving folks would have any interest on. Cricket 2019 on gamepass. It's hands down the best cricket game out there (low bar I know). Quite fun in career mode. Controls still aren't what I'll call intuitive. I still can't play the shot I want to some deliveries. Pro cam is cool but useless cause I can't see full length or Yorker lenght deliveries. Super annoying that.

Hoppa

Got Diablo 2 and Deathloop but haven't had a chance to play em yet. Played the first few chapters of Eastward and really enjoyed what I played so far.

GeekyDad

As cute and enjoyable as Yokai Watch 3 is, I just wasn't quite in the mood for it. So, switched again. Now back to FE: Conquest. Never finished it. Started a new file. Tried Hard/Classic. Got a few battles in, restarted on Normal/Classic. As much as I love the challenge, I just want to enjoy a few battles before work each day, hopefully complete the story this time. So far, so good.

marcincz

Finished Super Mario World a few days ago. Did all 96 exists, which felt nice since I think it's the first time I manage to do so. Really liked the game, looking for the secret exits it's pretty fun.

Also recently started Kingdom Come: Deliverance. Only a few hours in but I think I'm liking it, specially the writing, which makes the characters very charismatic.
KC: D is brilliant. One of my favorite rpgs. Looking forward to second part.

Last edited:

EekTheKat

Kena, MechWarrior 5, Aragami 2 (scratches that stealth itch in a 7/10 sort of way).

Finished Aragami 2, working on Kena. MechWarrior is kind of a guilt trip down memory lane in a desperate attempt to recapture the magic of the good old days.

Oh and still occasionally dabbling in Strive.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I felt in the mood for some online coop.

World War Z: Aftermath - it's ok, serviceable for what it is. I feel kind of robbed spending $40 on it, thinking it had a ton of new content given the marketing (I already had the original release via PS+ on PlayStation). This is just the base game with a tiny bit of new DLC.

So I went and grabbed Aliens Fireteam Elite for some more coop goodness in one of my favorite sci-fi settings. Only just now downloaded it, waiting to play it until a bit later

Fellas, hell let loose is a incredible game, ypu guys should really try it is the first ps that i might take serious for once, its great time on it especially if you have communicative tesm

Felt the urge to give Borderlands 3 a go after buying it on launch but never getting to it (I had not long finished the BL2 DLC when it came out and was a little burned out on it) - already love it, can see 100+ hours stretching out ahead of me.

It's good to be back.

GeekyDad

Well, was gonna play FE Conquest, but when I got to the choice, I had to choose Birthright again. 'Cause fuck those fucking Nohr. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

marcincz

Oddworld: Soulstorm on PS5.
Much longer (currently 17 h and still playing) than I expected and not so good like previous parts.

After Abe's new adventures I was going to start Dishonored 2, but finally bought Persona 5 Royal on PS4 and probably this is my next title. Maybe 100 h later I'll back to Dishonored 2.

Vagswarm

Felt the urge to give Borderlands 3 a go after buying it on launch but never getting to it (I had not long finished the BL2 DLC when it came out and was a little burned out on it) - already love it, can see 100+ hours stretching out ahead of me.

It's good to be back.
It's a great game for what it is. Had a lot of fun with it, and the villians are hilarious. Mainly because they're off the wall batsh*t insane. I almost died when the main character says "What is wrong with these people?" at one point.

Only wish you could play higher difficulties from the start. There's way too many games to play to restart one I've just beaten, and not everyone wants to play the same game multiple times. It's happened with a few games now.

220px-Bugs_Bunny_-_Lost_in_Time_%28game_box_art%29.jpg

A bit on the easy side with the infinite lives but still fun to play. Love how many references it makes to the cartoons.

Edit: Funny how not being able to get a PS5 got me into retro gaming. But I think it's great that I'm revisiting a lot of great classics again.

Last edited:

TheContact

atm: D2R (pc) , star ocean first departure R (switch), wow classic. I play wow a few nights a week, D2R and SO before bed depending on the mood I’m in.

Phase

Just started 3 games.

Hotline Miami
Dishonored 2
Hoa
Some thoughts:

-Dropped Dishonored 2 after 4hrs. The dialogue and story are not doing it for me. The game feels boring.
-Hotline Miami is pretty cool. Music is fantastic. I've also learned I can't play this game high.
-Hoa is very relaxing and I'm enjoying it so far.

220px-Bugs_Bunny_-_Lost_in_Time_%28game_box_art%29.jpg

A bit on the easy side with the infinite lives but still fun to play. Love how many references it makes to the cartoons.

Edit: Funny how not being able to get a PS5 got me into retro gaming. But I think it's great that I'm revisiting a lot of great classics again.
I think you're being very lenient the word "classic".

captainpat

Currently playing Shin Megami Tesnei 3: Nocturne. That game's been on my bucket list since forever and I wanna beat it before smtv. This is gonna be my first mainline smt game. I've only ever played spinoffs like persona, digital devil saga and Raidou. So far the game's ok. Feels a little bland imo, especially coming from the persona series but I'm pushing through it.

My plan is the beat Nocturne, play Dread to get a break from grinding and go into smtv.

Also, I've been playing on a switch emulator and this is gonna be my main mode of playing switch games from now on.

completed the Evolution event challenges for Apex Legends to get the Wingman skin
completed the bday event for Fortnite to get the bday cake backpack and pick-axe

tried to go back and play Ultimate Alliance 3 (which i gave up on a year ago). Its just not fun. Its overly hard and dull. Just not as good as the previous games

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just finished Kena, I'm really surprised how much I enjoyed the boss fights, it has better boss fights than most AAA western games these days.

Reactions: TLZ
81RbsYaU1HS._SL1500_.jpg

I thought I was done with Tales, as I've played several and they had become a chore. This looked different enough, so I went ahead and got it.

I'm just a few hours in, but so far, I'm enjoying it.

It's a great game for what it is. Had a lot of fun with it, and the villians are hilarious. Mainly because they're off the wall batsh*t insane. I almost died when the main character says "What is wrong with these people?" at one point.

Only wish you could play higher difficulties from the start. There's way too many games to play to restart one I've just beaten, and not everyone wants to play the same game multiple times. It's happened with a few games now.

Always knew I would play it and enjoy it - I almost never buy anything at launch, I'm cheap when it comes to games (not hardware) because I know by the time I get around to it, it will be better than it was at launch technically (as definitely seems to be the case here) and I won't have to wait for DLC etc if I get into it, but BL3 was a preorder for me. I just love the series. I was looking at the reviews on the Xbox store earlier and I just don't understand the complaints, particularly from fans of the series. It's exactly what I hoped/expected it to be. I only solo and I don't understand why so many say it's unplayable that way - it's absolutely not. Also a lot of hate for Vaughn, who I've found to be the funniest character so far with all his penitant push ups and misplaced confidence...

I'll definitely preorder Tiny Tina too, but will wait for an MS Rewards punchcard closer to launch. I'd say it's up there with Forza Horizons, Mass Effect and the recent Assassin's Creeds as my favourite gaming series right now.

Vagswarm

I was looking at the reviews on the Xbox store earlier and I just don't understand the complaints, particularly from fans of the series. It's exactly what I hoped/expected it to be.
I'm with you there. It seems like expectations and entitlements are extremely high nowadays, that even great games are getting trashed. There's definitely a different set of standards when it comes to AAA sequels because they get hit the worst. Fortunately, there's usually a decent balance with positive reviews as well. At least enough to warrant giving them a try.

Glad you're enjoying the game though. It was a lot fun while it lasted.

rogr rogr

After finishing Dark Souls 1 DLC for the first time (not really DLC 'cause it was the remake), I set up my PS3 to replay Demon Souls (Elden Ring vibes).

I still had a hard time with Flamelurker, so I tried something new this time and realized that it becomes a much easier fight if you equip the Purple Flame Shield. The interesting fact is that I had never used any Great shields in the Souls series until I had to fight Manus.

Flamelurker down, I still died a couple of times at Maneater; equipped the Thief ring (which bugged the fight once, since one of the fu&#$ flew away), beat them the next attempt...the rest was smooth. No souls were lost.

Next up: Bloodborne. Never killed one boss in this before...I hate not having a shield.

Top Bottom