• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

J-Roderton

Went back and tried to get into PUBG on Xbox after not touching it for 4-5 months. It's still just not the game for me. I'll just settle for 3rd being the best I'll ever do. Don't care anymore. ha.

Pikmin on 3DS. Been at it for months, poking at a level here and there. I had wanted something that was very easy to pick up and play for a few minutes at a time after playing through the awesomeness that is Samus Returns. Unfortunately, I have lost any semblance of regularity (as per usual).

It's actually a pretty fun, though stripped down, reincarnation of the series. I definitely get the feeling that the game intended to use the 3D effect, but rather than addressing performance issues, they just deemed it 2D only and pushed it out.

hollams

Gold Member
I have so many games on my backlog plus a couple of games I've bought in the last 2 weeks, and for some reason I decided to do a Mass Effect Trilogy run. I'm playing on PC with graphic and controller mods and it's fantastic. I haven't played the ME in awhile so some stuff is bringing back memories but for the most part it's like a new game. The graphics mods are great and ME 1 seems like a current gen game. The controller mod works flawless as well.

Dthomp

Just finished We Happy Few yesterday.

Currently Working on: MLB 18 The Show, Destiny 2.

About to start: Madden 19 and Guacamelee 2 later tonight I hope

J-Roderton

Just finished We Happy Few yesterday.

Currently Working on: MLB 18 The Show, Destiny 2.

About to start: Madden 19 and Guacamelee 2 later tonight I hope

Did you like We Happy Few? I haven't even looked at any reviews for it. Forgot it came out, to be honest.

Last edited:

Dthomp

Did you like We Happy Few? I haven't even looked at any reviews for it. Forgot it came out, to be honest.

Personally I wasn't really blown away. The game suffers from many issues with crashing, long load times, and just randomly loading when walking around. Like a 3rd of the side quests are actually kind of funny or interesting, but all the others are boring fetch quests. Main story had promise, and likely if handled by a more polished company or better pairing then Gearbox publishing could have been a bigger success. It felt like a game that had wanted to be something while also was trying to be something it wasn't. It kept elements of a survival game without there really being a reason for that to still be in the game. No where near a full price game, I gamefly'd (?) it so I wasn't out anything but the time but this felt like an indie game that should have been priced like it.
For me, this was like a 5.5/10 maybe a 6, but that is pushing it

J-Roderton

Personally I wasn't really blown away. The game suffers from many issues with crashing, long load times, and just randomly loading when walking around. Like a 3rd of the side quests are actually kind of funny or interesting, but all the others are boring fetch quests. Main story had promise, and likely if handled by a more polished company or better pairing then Gearbox publishing could have been a bigger success. It felt like a game that had wanted to be something while also was trying to be something it wasn't. It kept elements of a survival game without there really being a reason for that to still be in the game. No where near a full price game, I gamefly'd (?) it so I wasn't out anything but the time but this felt like an indie game that should have been priced like it.
For me, this was like a 5.5/10 maybe a 6, but that is pushing it

I was wondering about the "survival" and even stealth parts of it. I'd heard about load times and such. Bummer. It'd been in development for so long. I may try it out, though. Art style looks ace.

Velvet Fox

Neo Member
I love playing overwatch, I'd say in the last few days it's been my most played. Absolver is also fun. But, I also like some singleplayer games, like Dark Souls (yes, I know it has multiplayer aspects too). RPGs like Final Fantasy Tactics, I am also really enjoying. Variety is always nice for what mood you're in. ^u^

brian0057

Banned
Replaying Alien: Isolation for the sixth time. Goddamn, this game is fucking amazing. It never not makes me shit myself with its superb atmosphere and level design. As a stealth game lover, this game touches me in all the right erogenous zones.

MetalRain

Spent large part of a weekend playing Exapunks, puzzle game from Zachtronics about coding and fictional hacker scene.

While some puzzles are little easier than previous games; graphics, music and story more than make up for it. If you liked Spacechem, Infinifactory, TIS-100, Shenzhen IO or Opus Magnum this a game for you.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I’m still bouncing between Dead Cells in PC and Octopath Traveler on Switch. Still a little Slay the Spire on PC here and there as well.

joombo

Banned
Divinity: Original Sin 2. Highly recommended. Great characters, interactive environment, interesting lore and awesome combat.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Picross S2 and I just caved and finally bought Hollow Knight on Switch, so I’ll be playing that once it finishes downloading.

DonJimbo

Im playing blackops multiplayer and im waiting for my assassons creed ezio collection to arrive and im going to buy crash bandicoot and finish some other games

Enzo88

Golf Story on Switch.
Charming characters and dialogues, solid golf mechanics, but activities could use some variety.

Virex

Banned
Recently finished Divinity Original Sin on PS4 and it was an amazing experience. Had Mass Effect Andromeda since launch but never played it and started it a few days ago. Don't know how I feel about Andromeda to be quite honest. It's not bad but it's definitely not good. Don't really have the words to explain how I feel about the game. But I only play 1 game at a time and never start another game until I've finished what I'm playing to the end. Yakuza Kiwami 2 is next week so right now I just feel like rushing through Andromeda's story to get it over and done with so I can start Kiwami 2 next week.

MP!

MMX 5... on the collection for switch. I Don't mind it .. .it's still fun... but the stages are more frustrating and cheap than other entries I feel. The Squid stage is just terrible.

Dthomp

Just finished platinuming Guacamelee 2, fantastic experience once again. I felt that the first game was harder but maybe I’m remembering wrong.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Nobody is playing Dead Cells?! This game is monopolyzing my life...and I suck at it...
I’m aware of the games glowing reviews, but I can’t stand rogue-likes/rogue-lights, whatever they are called. So, that is why I am not playing it.

For example, I finally bought Hollow Knight last night. The game is commonly referred to as a “Metroidvania”, never a “rogue-like” and yet, after playing for a couple of hours last night, I was getting frustrated that everytime you die, you get spawned all the way back to the beginning and have to repeat the entire level you just traversed. You also have to find and fight your previous you in order to get your collectibles back. As far as I am aware, this is a rogue-like game feature. If I had known this, I probably would not have bought the game as I find this trending game feature pointless and frustrating.

Yes, I am aware through some Googling that apparently the levels have other save points around. But, like I said, after 2 hours (probably more) of playing, I did not see one except for the bench in the opening hub of the game.

I don’t like this game design and will never understand why it is so popular, except for just being the latest fad.

In saying that, the rest of the gameplay in Hollow Knight is very enjoyable.

Attempting to finish a normal play-through of Original Sin 2 with 3 other people...requires a lot of patience.
Wow, you must have the patience of a saint.

I could barely get through the introductory chapter with my wife in Divinity: OS. She kept... stealing stuff or opening doors which were highlighted with red, which brought down the guards on us. I think after the 4th or 5th reload from our quicksave I just grimaced and said "we should try another game".

Enygmatize

Neo Member
Wow, you must have the patience of a saint.

I could barely get through the introductory chapter with my wife in Divinity: OS. She kept... stealing stuff or opening doors which were highlighted with red, which brought down the guards on us. I think after the 4th or 5th reload from our quicksave I just grimaced and said "we should try another game".
Currently we have been in a fight for about 45 minutes. This is the reason I played through it alone first and then decided to do this.

Hinedorf

Banned
God of War and Dead Cells are my two current hot items. Dead Cells is ridiculously hard and addicting at the same time, it's fun but FRUSTRATING. I'm at the point of ready to give up but just the early levels to play through are very satisfying whether you're trying to kill everything or speed run.

Unless Red Dead 2 over-delivers it's hard for me to not give God of War the GOTY. This game is absolutely special from the character development to the graphics which really reset the bar for visuals. I've tried not to skip a single thing and I have no idea how much more I have to go. Can't get enough!

Vawn

Banned
I’m aware of the games glowing reviews, but I can’t stand rogue-likes/rogue-lights, whatever they are called. So, that is why I am not playing it.

For example, I finally bought Hollow Knight last night. The game is commonly referred to as a “Metroidvania”, never a “rogue-like” and yet, after playing for a couple of hours last night, I was getting frustrated that everytime you die, you get spawned all the way back to the beginning and have to repeat the entire level you just traversed. You also have to find and fight your previous you in order to get your collectibles back. As far as I am aware, this is a rogue-like game feature. If I had known this, I probably would not have bought the game as I find this trending game feature pointless and frustrating.

Yes, I am aware through some Googling that apparently the levels have other save points around. But, like I said, after 2 hours (probably more) of playing, I did not see one except for the bench in the opening hub of the game.

I don’t like this game design and will never understand why it is so popular, except for just being the latest fad.

In saying that, the rest of the gameplay in Hollow Knight is very enjoyable.

Hollow Knight is not a rouge-like or rouge-lite in any sense.

Currently playing Obscure on PC and will play the sequel immediately after. Recommended for fans of old school survival horror with tank controls.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Hollow Knight is not a rouge-like or rouge-lite in any sense.
I said it has rogue-whatever elements.

What do you call getting bumped back to the start and losing the stuff you collected and then having to re-traverse the same area in it’s entirety and to have to find and battle your previous body in order to get back said collectables?

EDIT: After looking into it, I guess I didn’t quite get the exact definition of the rogue genres. My bad (I should probably add this to the things that make me feel old thread).

Well, whatever the above is, I don’t like it. Lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom