• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

WoodyStare

Just finished Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty and loved every minute of it. The story was compelling from beginning to end, and it has a lot of great twists I didn’t see coming. The graphical jump between this and the first MGS blew my mind, just insane attention to detail in every way. I’d say the only criticisms I have are the boss fights being a bit too easy, and it felt a little rushed towards the end, but these didn’t detract from the overall quality.

Probably going to start Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater tonight.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
A whole stack of Sega Saturn games, at least when I can squeeze in some spare time. Panzer Saga, Wipeout and Wipeout XL have received a lot of attention. I just watched a great YouTube video on the Wipeout series that I will share on the Saturn Community forum.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Cyberpunk 2077 and Stray. Cyberpunk is in a great state now on PS5 and the dual sense feels really good when shooting. Enjoying my time so far, it takes about 4 hours to finally get into the open world though which can be quite daunting. I have started it about 2-3 times before but I’m determined to finish it this time round. It’s sad that it got such a shitty launch as you can tell there is an amazing game here that was just marred with issues on console.

Vargavinter

I'm giving Outer Worlds another run, I finished it before but this turn I'm gonna try on the hardest difficulty. Oh and I'm giving Everquest 2 another try on the new time locked server.

Zug

Summer Baldur's Gate trilogy run, Legacy of Bhaal difficulty and some mods.
Whatever BG3 ends up being, the original never disappoints.

UvOGcqR.png

lachesis

Finished the SoTN. Been playing the game in my basement, on a 17" CRT monitor hooked to PS3, sitting on a large bean bag. It was 14 hours of time trip back to 90s. ;)

Kinda forgot what happened in the end - that storyline is really not the strength of the series... paired with the voice acting and that "I am the wind" song, with so straight from 90's Kenny G style Sax. (rather cringe and felt out of place, compared to other excellent tracks throughout the game)

To the credit to some critics, the upside down castle DID feel more like a chore this time around - flat areas tends to be okay, but platforming areas, normal double jumps don't get you anywhere. Of course, you have other methods of flights, but I am now agreeing to the opinion of the literal "upside down" was not the best way to go.

In perfect world, it would have been more of an "extension" of the regular castle - which blocked places you can't access yet, but accessible by learning different abilities. Or at least have some more mysteries - rather than just go thru all areas and defeat some bosses. Newer enemies and bosses kept things interesting, but I thought it needed quite a bit more.

My real gripe is the UX - that if it was easier/more convenient to use some of those usable items (potions, etc) - I would have used it much more often. It was quite a chore to equip then use - and whole item inventory arrangement could have been assigned, or have bigger window to show more items. So much vagueness, I admit has its charm - but sometimes I wonder what an item does - nor what kind of special abilities this weapon has etc. Sure, you can get strategy guides and all for all those stuff - but the game should really be more transparent to encourage people to experiment. Would have loved enemy encyclopedia that can be accessed from the menu, rather than going all the way back to library and access there. That type of QoL - I guess later Igavanias improved - so it's really not fair to criticize for their first attempt..

But in the end, I loved it very much - the whole experimental attitude on this game with bunch of different elements, the roughness and inconveniences etc - just fueled the mystic feeling of the whole game along with such superb OST. Found myself marveling at some stuff that I hadn't noticed before (or forgotten). Such special game - and will likely visit 200.6% of it again sometime in the future.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member
Playing League of Legends a bit.

My friend asked me to play with him and that was all it took to make me come back after years of hiatus.

So many changes but I'm slowly getting used to them and relearning the meta. Currently in Gold but apparently my account is flagged as a smurf so I'm getting matched with plats and diamonds. smh. I may be good back in the day but I suck ass nowadays. This smurf queue sucks ass.

RAIDEN1

Cyberpunk 2077 and Stray. Cyberpunk is in a great state now on PS5 and the dual sense feels really good when shooting. Enjoying my time so far, it takes about 4 hours to finally get into the open world though which can be quite daunting. I have started it about 2-3 times before but I’m determined to finish it this time round. It’s sad that it got such a shitty launch as you can tell there is an amazing game here that was just marred with issues on console.
Cyber Punk is as good as we'll get to a new Deus EX, if only it had a guest appearance by Adam Jensen...

Ge Os

I finally beat my BL4 run of Bloodborne. Base game Bosses were fun, but DLC almost ended me.
372 deaths to Laurence and 252 death to Orphan of Kos, but it's finally over.

I wanna go back and replay Crash Nsane Trilogy, and maybe jump straight to Crash 4, I'm also looking foward to the PS+ games next month, and maybe start Hades, I grabbed a PS4 disk for less than 7 bucks.

winjer

Gold Member
Finished Necromunda: Hired Gun.
Although combat could be fun most o the time, there were moments of frustration, when all of a sudden there would be an enemy that was a bullet sponge. And other times, when a group of enemies would spawn behind me and kill me in a second.
The game also lacks polish. It feels like the devs tried to make a game too big in scope for their experience and budget.
Still, if you get it in the humble bundle, it's worth to take a look at.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
After completing RE1 OG I jumped right ito RE2 OG and completed both scenarios earlier this week. Man, RE2 looks rough on the PS3 after the RE1 port on the PS5. I sure do hope the port RE2+3 as well for PS5.

Anyway, I think this was actually the first time I jumped right into RE2 after RE1. That's prolly why I never noticed the improvements to this degree. Hard to imagine that Kamiya didn't really enjoy making this game. It does so many thing better than 1. Much better story (actually I would say it has the best story of the series until today), muuuucccchhhhh better VA, better backgrounds, better controls, decent CGI sequences. After finishing I would say the only thing RE1 does better is the ammo management (there is not really any i RE2) and the soundtrack. Such a great game. Real shame Capcom never returned and expanded zapping system.

Now directly onto RE3. First impressions.... Real lame intro but the controls have improved even further. Finally a dedicated map button. Not much more aside from that, quite in contrast to the "in your face" improvements of RE2.

Finished playthrough 1 of As Dusk Falls. Exploring other choices.
Started the Citizen Sleeper update that just got released.
Escape Academy, on puzzle 4.
Starting Live A Live maybe tomorrow, finally. Got a day off.

Södy

Finally played Fable (Anniversary Edition). I see why it got so much praise back in the day, especially with all the side activities which are the norm today.

Combat hasn't aged well though. Started Fable 2 after, but the motion blur (and 30fps) don't go well with it.

op22

Replaying The Medium. The game seems to ask the question, "If James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2 had a family, would his suffering have made him a great father or would his family be dysfunctional?" The answer is very dysfunctional according to this game. The story describes a chain of horrifying events caused by people who have been traumatized in some way colliding with other. It has a solution to break the chain from continuing, and, like Silent Hill 2, it is dark.

The music, sound and environments are excellent. Puzzles are entertaining but easy. The surrealist art melding human body parts with architecture is very horrifying. It reminded me of an article I read about bodies of construction workers permanently trapped in bridges and skyscrapers because of accidents like falling into pools of concrete. I give the game two thumbs up.

Last edited:
Replaying The Medium. The game seems to ask the question, "What if James Sunderland from Silent Hill 2 had a family. Would his suffering have made him a great father or would his family be dysfunctional?" The answer is very dysfunctional according to this game. The story describes a chain of horrifying events caused by people who have been traumatized in some way colliding with other. It has a solution to break the chain from continuing, and, like Silent Hill 2, it is dark.

The music, sound and environments are excellent. Puzzles are entertaining but easy. The surrealist art melding human body parts with architecture is very horrifying. It reminded me of an article I read about bodies of construction workers permanently trapped in bridges and skyscrapers because of accidents like falling into pools of concrete. I give the game two thumbs up.
I also really enjoyed it. I think that makes 2 of us now. :messenger_peace: I'd love a sequel.

Last edited:

Crayon

Im taking a lil break from control. I don't typically force myself to finish games but I'm very close to the end so I'm hoping to pick it back up soon. I like it a lot but the gameplay is shallow.

In the meantime I've been putting on Tekken 7 and sort of mashing button s while listening to podcasts. Not even online or with a stick. Just sort of zoning out and beating up the computer.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Playing Inside via Game Pass. Never played it all the way through before. It's a interesting, weird game.

Rippa

Just finished up TMNT Shredders Revenge on PlayStation. Fucking sweetness that game is.

Now I’m on to a metroidvania, Ender Lilies also on PlayStation. So far, so good!

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today I prestiged in COD BO Cold War one last time before MW2 comes out. Then I played a little FF14 before my sub expires (in 4 or 5 days). Tomorrow I'll start on FFX.

Cryio

Half-Life 2, using the Update mod and A.I upscaled textures.

Played it vanilla, played it with Fake Factory back in the day (though never saw the very last version of FF. Need to give it a spin one day).

Update + AI textures is the cleanlest, most "vanilla" look you can possibly get.

And it seems the dev responsible for the Update mod, after announcing "The Half-Life 2 Definitive Edition" some 1-2 years ago, has gone completely silent. Too bad.

Bartski

Gold Member
Replayed Inside on game pass all the way to the secret ending. Still packs unmatched production value and polish for an indie, everything about it is just perfect.
Can't wait for the next Playdead game, they've been quiet way too long.

XmRc2Hs.png

Had an itch to replay Asylum, and was not disappointed at all. It's such a classic, great level design (3D metroidvania), fantastic and satisfying combat system, and generally good characters and casting. It's amazing that a first game from a franchise by a studio that at the time had no fame at all can be this complete and mature.

And by replaying the game it further undergirds my preference of Batman over Spider-man. Although less nimble, Batman's style is just more punchy and impactful, and I really dig that gloomy and lonely vibe.

Now I can rest assured and play XB3..

amigastar

XmRc2Hs.png

Had an itch to replay Asylum, and was not disappointed at all. It's such a classic, great level design (3D metroidvania), fantastic and satisfying combat system, and generally good characters and casting. It's amazing that a first game from a franchise by a studio that at the time had no fame at all can be this complete and mature.

And by replaying the game it further undergirds my preference of Batman over Spider-man. Although less nimble, Batman's style is just more punchy and impactful, and I really dig that gloomy and lonely vibe.

Now I can rest assured and play XB3..
Arkham Asylum is great. I remember seeing footage of this game, especially fight scenes and i thought this will be another generic superhero game. But it really was a fantastic game.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Finally decided to play through Doom Eternal after seeing the Limited Run edition... 👀

doom-eternal-ultimate-edition-lrg-switch-contents_600x.png

Had been putting it off because of the incoherent story, weird continuity with Doom 2016, the mario levels of platforming and frankly how unDOOM like it comes across to me.

Last edited:

dave_d

Finished Ys Books 1 & 2 this weekend. The voice acting does add a bit. However for those that were wondering Chronicles is the definitive version and much better experience. (If you play only one version you should play Chronicles.) Anyway guess I'll start Spiderman(PS5) in the next couple of days.

Hoddi

Wrapped up God of War on PC earlier this evening. This was my second time through after playing it on PS4 some years ago and it was far more enjoyable at 60fps.

I then started Stray and am about halfway through, I think. It's not the 10 that some people make it out to be but it's honestly quite nice.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I beat Paper Mario TTYD a few days ago.
to illustrate how much i love it, i didn't play any other game for 3 days straight because i was too hooked to my Gamecube Controller and the story to want to quit
time to put it in the "favorite games of all time" list
I also beat OMORI which you could probably tell by the avatar i had for the past few days (i changed it though)
the game is amazing, the RPG mechanics are great and well designed, kept me strategic during the harder fights. The last 10 hours of the game are kind of fucking wack and creepy as hell though, a fair warning if you want to get into the game
And i'm currently trying to get better at Titanfall 2 (northstar servers of course because the official matchmaking and servers kind of suck.)
Also, Trackmania United Forever. This game reminds me so much of the weird wacky Xbox Live games i'd play back in my childhood on the 360, it's well made, extremely fun if you're into speedrunning and it's extremely community oriented with a massive focus on custom cars, maps, etc
I still have yet to get Trackmania2 though, but it looks like the same thing but with better visuals.
Overall it's safe to say that i've been having a great gaming time for the past few days

Last edited:

Paltheos

Played most of Super Meatboy Forever over the weekend. I made it to the final boss and quit - Not interested in performing so many precise maneuvers in a row with no margin for error. Otherwise it was pretty fun - I cleared every stage in the light world and all of the stages in dark world 1. Auto-runner isn't a bad idea but the overall product feels like a stepdown from the original Super Meatboy. I don't know why the developers ran procedural generation for stage creation - The pacing is all over the place. There's also a couple boss battles where the idea of the characters constantly running make no sense. Some of them were fun though. I especially like the one which pays homage to the Smith fight in Matrix 2, both in how the fight plays out and the music that plays.

Started up Sonic Mania. Probably about halfway through. Fun time. Looks good, sounds great, and I like how many fun mechanics are built into each stage. There's so little downtime as you play too. I guess the most direct comparison would be Sonic 2 (duh) in Chemical Plant Zone, which could see you having a ton of downtime waiting for moving blocks to align just right for you to cross or climb. Sonic Mania still brings these things back, but tastefully adjusts their duration and distribution so that they're a break from high speed movement instead of a total hassle.

Lunar Eternal Blue on the SEGA-CD.

Not even the PS1 version. Tsk-tsk I've never played the Sega CD version and so don't appreciate the version differences the megafans argue about.

NieR (Gestalt) (2010)

Randomly picked up from where I left off a couple of years ago and got hooked. Managed to binge the game and plowed through to the first three endings in a matter of days and spent some extra time with the farming and fishing mini games. The story surprised me. This has to be played at least twice to get the bigger picture (some folks will get what I mean). You'll uncover some gut-wrenching moments the second time around that flips the narrative when additional revelations dawn on you. That's some clever storytelling.

I get that Replicant is supposed to be the "definitive" version and Gestalt seemed like deliberately nonsensical pandering to the west. But, honestly I gotta admit the "papa" Nier take has grown on me and prefer it over the Replicant design even though its okay.

Also dig Yoko Taro's not so subtle nods to shmups. Lends the game an unique touch and extra visual flair.

This game is not a 6/10 or 4/10 like some outlets would like to make you think. Those critics probably didn't play it for more than 30 minutes or a hour and told themselves they've seen enough. Its one of those cases where its good people stayed vocal. Otherwise the gaming press, in all its mighty wisdom, could've successfully buried it and the sequel might've never seen the day of light.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
started FFVII on Switch. only a few hours into it and just been dumped into the sewers.

i'm having fun with it but had to look at a guide already to figure out how to get into Don's :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Top Bottom