• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What game are you currently playing?

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Every From boss ever someone WILL tell you "they're a joke once you learn every move, use ten items at exactly this moment and don't get hit loool so easy bro".

Thanks Sherlock.
Well, depending on your build I guess some bosses are easier or harder in general. I may be a bit weird when it comes to From games. I like when a boss just hits the right spot. I like the feeling when I beat a boss because I understood their movement set and actually dislike when I beat them when I'm too fast, too strong or exploited their weakness. It kinda takes away the feeling of accomplishment. In that regard, I'd say Mohg was almost perfect.

Anyway, not too much left now in Elden Ring. Curious to see what else the game will put in front of me. Whatever it is, I hope it's not much worse than Mohg. :D

bumpkin

Assassin’s Creed: Mirage - I’ve always loved the AC games with a more focused scope and shorter length, so I was excited when my wife got me this for Christmas. I’m nearing the end I think and have been digging it. It’s not my favorite, but I do really like it.

Ghostwire Tokyo - I started this months ago and put it down when PSVR2 dropped and stole my attention. It was okay, there are aspects I don’t love, but I was pretty far. I really should see it through.

Greak Memories of Azur - I haven’t formally started it, but I liked the demo and bought it pre-owned recently. I always enjoy a good Metroidvania so I’m eager to dive in. I’ve heard that the devs have patched in some QOL improvements since release so it’s probably good that I’m LTTP.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Poppin in to say Dead Space 2 and 3 still hold up real well. I know 3 kinda goes down the toilet once you hit the ice planet, but man, everything leading up to it I think is pretty fuckin solid. Microtransaction bullshit aside, I think they really had something with the weapon crafting system.

Mr Hyde

Journey to the Savage planet on PS5. First played this on Switch a couple of years ago but it was so downgraded I ended up selling it and getting the PS4 version. And you got a free PS5 upgrade so totally worth it. And this game definitely deserves playing in 4K at higher framerates. The world is incredibly beautiful, with vibrant colours and a lush strange aura to the vegetation and trees surrounding it. The game is funny and a bit weird, with dark humor that fits well with the concept of exploring a strange undiscovered planet. The exploration is top notch. A Metroidvania where you get different upgrades to further advance into the game. Highly recommend.

I literally ran out of RE games to play so now I'm playing Dino Crisis. I did go back and play OG RE on PSX after finishing Zero. Loved the OG, great stuff. Forgot how much in some ways Dino Crisis attempted some improvements despite being on PSX. The dynamic and 3D environments look pretty good and some of the dynamic camera is awesome.

Kruza

Continuing to play some more Lost Crown, the last time I enjoyed a 'metroid-vania' this much was Ori.

88TuVGA.png

Just wait until you get further along in this game to experience wild puzzles, slick traps, and overall weird (in an awesome way) level designs!

Last edited:
Still getting through Rebirth here. Been doing mostly the open world stuff to settle down late at night, but now I'm finally on chapter 11 and really getting back through the story.

bender

What time is it?
Rolled credits on Metroid Prime Remastered. I think my enjoyment took a nosedive from the Phazon Mines onward. It's like the game was made to annoy the hydraulic fluid out of me (I'm looking at you relic hunt). The last two bosses were cool but a little spongey for my tastes.

Last edited:

Superkid93

Neo Member
Still chipping away at Days Gone.

I'm still chipping away at Days Gone. 13 hours in now. Its growing on me a bit but the story and dialogue are still so cringe...
The crafting is starting to feel pointless as well. The only thing keeping me engaged at this point is the bike upgrading...
I finished Days Gone. Clocked in at 30 hours. Heavy focus on just story missions and a few sides missions to get bike upgrades.

Overall, pretty meh of an overall experience. I had fun, but can't escape the feeling that A LOT was left on the table here. It's an alright game that could have been great.

1. I cannot get over how poorly written the dialogue was and its a real shame because the voice actors all had great performances despite the terrible writing.
  2. The story dragged on for far too long. Felt like 40% of the game was just filler missions to get everyone's hours played to an a predetermined amount. I had multiple story missions where the entire mission consisted of just driving to a character and speaking to them. That's it.
  3. Weapon variety was kind of lame. I found three weapons and just stuck with them for the majority of the game because they were clearly OP.
  4. What on earth is with the shooting mechanics in this game? The reticle makes shooting from mid range and onward annoying as hell unless you have a sniper. I get it....cant use a shotty at long range but the distance feels off on all the guns.
  5. Other than the fuel tank, most of the later game bike upgrades didn't create a noticeable difference in my bike's performance. Kind of a lame outcome after anticipating the whole game that I would have this crazy performing bike by the end of it.

In the end, ill give it a 6.5/10.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just wait until you get further along in this game to experience wild puzzles, slick traps, and overall weird (in an awesome way) level designs!

I did the 4 portal puzzle room where you make 3 copies of yourself to clear some puzzles, that was some real head-scratching shit lol

Banjo64

cumsessed
Just completed Metroid Prime Remastered. First 3D Metroid game I’ve played. I really liked it; the difficulty, the atmosphere and world, the bosses, the gradual improvement in your ability and knowledge of the world.

The only thing I’d say, and it surprises me because I’m not massively in to 2D games, is that I think Dread is a shade better.

My only minor gripes with Prime, which don’t detract from the overall quality, is the cumbersome switching between blasters and visors and the standard enemy combat is a bit tiresome after a while.

amigastar

Just completed Metroid Prime Remastered. First 3D Metroid game I’ve played. I really liked it; the difficulty, the atmosphere and world, the bosses, the gradual improvement in your ability and knowledge of the world.

The only thing I’d say, and it surprises me because I’m not massively in to 2D games, is that I think Dread is a shade better.

My only minor gripes with Prime, which don’t detract from the overall quality, is the cumbersome switching between blasters and visors and the standard enemy combat is a bit tiresome after a while.
I've started Metroid Prime Remastered on a higher difficulty which was a mistake. Metroid Prime isn't as much about difficult encounters as is in exploring the world. Still have to play it further because of that.
It's not Doom Eternal if you know what i mean.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Two of us completing Metroid Prime for this first time this week. I'm not much of a fan of Dread as it refused to let you get lost, not to mention Mercury Steam's insistence on parrying mechanics and I thought the EMMI sections were dull. I do really like the movement in the game though which I think is a fault of Prime but I'm not sure how you overcome that in 3D. I do like that Prime let you get lost but the Simon Says combat got tedious around the Phazon Mines and the amount of backtracking is absurd, even for this style of game and that's compounded by a game world that feels pretty small but is elongated by the elevator placements.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Fallout 76

A MMO (or MMO-ish) hasn't clicked for me in many years. But I am on hour 14 of '76 and I feel that addictive feeling creeping back in.... So much fun just exploring and building and shining.

From what I’m reading Obscure doesn’t run well on Steam Deck or PC.
Thinking about it made me want to replay Obscure. I tried the Steam version I own and it was wack (intro song cut, low resolution FMVs, and camera panning was uneven). I even tried emulating on PCSX2, but it was off somehow. Started playing it on PS2 with CRT and it was as good as I remembered. Colors were vibrant, picture relatively sharp, and the exaggerated line delivery of other alternatives had the perfect tone and fade effect. I liked it so much I played through it twice back to back. Also watched the intro a few times.

*The Sum 41 music video for Still Waiting is actually unlockable as well

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finished FF Rebirth. Tried Rise of the Ronin and I didn't think it was bad or anything but I'm not in the mood for that type of game now. Open world games have just become tiresome and I need a break. So decided to start the Metroidvania Moonscars. It's pretty good so far. Has Blasphemous vibes. Not as good, a little rough around the edges, but I like its style. Don't think it'll be an elite tier in the genre, but it's solid so far.

Diablo IV - excellent game.
Jusant - has very nice Shadow of Colossus vibes + climbing.
Evel West - meh, I expected it to be at least a 6/10 experience. Sadly, it's not.
Batman Origins - I just need a good Batman game, this one is OK.
Biomorph - a solid metroidvania with a good gimmick to absorb and play as the enemies you defeated.
Tomb Raider Remaster - ah, nostalgia hit me hard. But it's hard to return to tank controls.
Alan Wake 2 - started strong. But for some reason, I don't want to continue playing it. Weird.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Oneechanbara Origin: Wrapped this one up, and it was much better than I expected. Levels are complete trash, and enemy variety is low, but these are remakes of low budget games. Combat was surprisingly fun, and that’s where the game shined for me.

Fallout 4: The show got me wanting to play this and I’m trying. Seems that the game doesn’t work for me. Messed with some ini files, and I think my solution is to set my monitor to 60hz? Didn’t Microsoft just update this game??! At this point I might just play it on Steam Deck.

Fallout 76: Kinda started, and I’m just not a fan of the UI. A buddy is big into it and wants me to play but I’m not feeling it so far.

Dr. Suchong

Quantum break after finishing Alan wake Remastered.
Enjoying it so far, but the motion blur is horrible and this game could definitely use a 60fps update.
But I guess at this point that's not going to happen.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Still only Helldivers 2. Shit is like crack.

Every time I sit down in my living room to read or watch something with my wife I have to fight the urge to fire up the PS5 and hop into a mission. It doesn't help that she loves watching me play and die in hilarious ways.

Every time I sit down in my living room to read or watch something with my wife I have to fight the urge to fire up the PS5 and hop into a mission. It doesn't help that she loves watching me play and die in hilarious ways.
Something like this?

stn

I beat Rise of the Ronin (PS5), it was great. It definitely has some flaws but I still enjoyed it and am working on the platinum (62% done). Next up I'm gonna juggle FF7 Rebirth (PS5), Sword and Fairy 7 (PS5), and Hogwarts Legacy (XSX).

adamsapple

PC gaming is so weird.

I have access to Fallout New Vegas on both PC and Xbox with game pass, the Xbox version is 60 FPS, and for me it seems to run a lot smoother there than on the PC.

Keep in mind I have a 1060 laptop with an i5 CPU and 16GB RAM, so it's not like I'm trying on a Pentium 3. However, even with 1080p and moderate settings (or any settings) the game has a lot of stutter and judder just moving the camera around. It just runs so bad.

PC gaming is so weird.

I have access to Fallout New Vegas on both PC and Xbox with game pass, the Xbox version is 60 FPS, and for me it seems to run a lot smoother there than on the PC.

Keep in mind I have a 1060 laptop with an i5 CPU and 16GB RAM, so it's not like I'm trying on a Pentium 3. However, even with 1080p and moderate settings (or any settings) the game has a lot of stutter and judder just moving the camera around. It just runs so bad.

Most of the time it's because it's not optimized for PC

I try to find mods to fix any bugs that show up in a game on PC. Especially if the PC Version hasn't been patched for long time

Dr.brain64

F3B9D5DCD01EF8D9786E9B56D57FDB55EF98ABA5

Finished playing re7 with all the dlc. Great game!

Started the 1st game of the dark pictures series. Lots of cheap jump scares with the loud noise/music but still good for now.
876409B4ECDECF2F05E74224EC9603AE9EFA7C0B

Last edited:

reektann

Played through Zelda Oracle of Ages on the GB using the Switch Online GB feature. It's so impressive what they managed to fit onto those tiny cards, took me about 24 hours. Interestingly I finished Oracle of Seasons about 5 years ago but this time as I finished Ages, I had the code. I started up Seasons on the Switch and put the code in, its really cool as people in Seasons have referenced what happened in Ages from before. I will likely play Seasons next using the code to get the proper ending.

Also playing Talos Principle 2 on PC. Wow, talk about taking the original and just making it gigantic. I am loving it, runs great on PC with framegen and looks superb in ultrawide. I quite enjoy the slightly elongated downtime between puzzles as there are the other "things" to find in each area. All this for £22 or something ludicrous, too.

Diablo IV. Not feeling it.
No rest for the wicked. Started last night. I'm enjoying it. Performance is alright on my PC.
Destiny 2. Horde mode brought me back. :messenger_pensive:

Banjo64

cumsessed
After finishing Metroid Prime yesterday afternoon I’ve spent yesterday evening and tonight playing a bit of Splatoon 3. This game deserves more of my attention, it’s really good but the skill level is stupidly high. I imagine it’s Japanese kids that are pushing my shit in.

The other game I put a couple of games in to is EA FC and wow, it’s just so bad. I played eFootball for years, and I gave up on that in the end. This is the first FIFA I’ve played in 8 years. I’ve given it a good go, I have about 140 wins in Seasons and 90 losses. I don’t know how to describe it apart from win, lose or draw: you aren’t in control. You’re a spectator to the madness. And that’s what I can’t deal with. I’ve played thousands of games of Rocket League since launch, and there’s never been a single game that I’ve thought ‘that loss was unfair’, because the game is balanced and skill based. So yeah, that’s the end of that experiment.

adamsapple

Most of the time it's because it's not optimized for PC

I try to find mods to fix any bugs that show up in a game on PC. Especially if the PC Version hasn't been patched for long time

The mods don't work with the Win Store /GP version unfortunately.

I've put in a few hours on it on the Xbox and the lower resolution has gone to the back seat, the fast load times and the butter smooth locked 60 is more than enough to offset it.

Two of us completing Metroid Prime for this first time this week. I'm not much of a fan of Dread as it refused to let you get lost, not to mention Mercury Steam's insistence on parrying mechanics and I thought the EMMI sections were dull. I do really like the movement in the game though which I think is a fault of Prime but I'm not sure how you overcome that in 3D. I do like that Prime let you get lost but the Simon Says combat got tedious around the Phazon Mines and the amount of backtracking is absurd, even for this style of game and that's compounded by a game world that feels pretty small but is elongated by the elevator placements.

First time through the backtracking and the artifact hunt definitely disappointed me, but the rest of the package made me forgive it. On replays, neither the backtracking or artifact hunt is too bad. One of my top all time games, best 3D Metroidvania (and probably best Metroidvania overall, except maybe for Hollow Knight and SOTN).

I was also a bit surprised at how after playing Metroid Prime Remastered, it wasn't as good as how I remembered it back in 04.

I was totally blown away by it at the time. This time though I was frustrated by all the backtracking and the combat wasn't that fun either. I wonder if it has something to do with the Switch pro controller/analog vs the Gamecube controller ...

Still a great game for the time in a similar way that Ocarina was. They both adapted their 2d formulas into 3d masterfully. MP was also graphically amazing at the time. Actually Ocarina was too.

PS- mp music is god tier

Last edited:
Elden Ring for the first time with 2 other friends using the seamless co-op mod.

Miyazaki's refusal to natively support this is something I'll never understand. It feels like it was meant to be.

Top Bottom