• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games do you play to just relax?

Let's see...It's usually something low-key like FreeCell, Sudoku, Tetris, or Puzzle Bobble. Though recently I have been playing through Xenoblade Chronicles--not doing the story-related stuff much--just exploring the map and doing some sidequests/challenges here and there. Also, Smash Bros is nice to just pick up and play whenever.

Nose Master

Megaman 9, Super Metroid, SMW, etc. Any classic platformer I played as a kid. (MM9 is an exception, I played that enough going for a no-damage run that I can do it in my sleep / it relaxes me.)

Persona 4, also. I watched the GB endurance run while falling asleep for a good year, so playing through golden is super nice.

v4skunk84

Banned
For me it is Gran Turismo 6. Nothing more relaxing than a free run time attack on nurburgring. Destiny patrol is also very chilling.
Civ:Beyond Earth could be the new King though. I intended to have "a quick" half hour last night before bed, next thing I remember, was 4hour later at 3am. Good job I'm on holiday.

So I got to thinking, with Littlebigplanet 3 coming soon for my PS4, I'm excited about the gameplay and the levels and features and all that good stuff, but most of all I just can't wait to sit down and play something lighthearted and fun that doesn't require to me really grit my teeth or stress out.

I guess at the moment for me it's probably running a level or 2 in Flower, or else hopping into Minecraft (unless I get caught outside at night). I love a game that just has some of that perfect combination of music and gameplay that soothes you to your soul, and I'm wondering if the rest of you have a go-to game for this kind of stuff?

Jak and Daxter, the Sentinel beach area in particular, just fooling around doing nothing in particular.

Animal Crossing. Whenever I'm feeling stressed, sad, or otherwise out of it, I like to visit my village. Bug catching, fishing, and chatting with my villagers is always relaxing, and because the game follows real time, it never feels like it's outpacing me.

Duster

Lately, although it might seem counterintuitive, I've been relaxing while playing Pix the Cat

I find the same thing with games like that.
When I'm concentrating and in the zone the world melts away, especially on a handheld with headphones on.

However when playing games that are more conventionally seen as relaxing my mind often wonders to whatever is bothering me which ruins any relaxation.

stn

Usually Carcassonne (XBLA), in fact I played it last night. I also have other XBLA games, like Outrun 2, that would probably relax me.

So I got to thinking, with Littlebigplanet 3 coming soon for my PS4, I'm excited about the gameplay and the levels and features and all that good stuff, but most of all I just can't wait to sit down and play something lighthearted and fun that doesn't require to me really grit my teeth or stress out.

I guess at the moment for me it's probably running a level or 2 in Flower, or else hopping into Minecraft (unless I get caught outside at night). I love a game that just has some of that perfect combination of music and gameplay that soothes you to your soul, and I'm wondering if the rest of you have a go-to game for this kind of stuff?

Flower it is :)
Incredibly relaxing game. The atmosphere is so peaceful and the story is so beautifully told, it's just like feeling life itself is beautiful. Wonderful game.

Sonic Adventure 2 is one. Just like messing around with the Chao garden. Also like to do quick run-throughs in Sonic and Shadow levels.

Also Minecraft for a while, but I stopped playing it a while ago.

I think LittleBigPlanet 3 will be my new go-to relaxing game. Seems like perfect game for it.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
Heavily modded Gmod.

I just load it up, load a random map, and start messing with some dumb weapon or entities. Usually I just turn on god mode and use the automatic nuke launcher and see how many nukes I can get away with before my computer starts to struggle.

Soonri

I'll sometimes turn on Sleeping Dogs to just drive around. Inevitably this turns into "drive motorcycle, jump it off something and then blow it up", it's just a matter of how long

Okami

I've played through the game (and the HD version) about 5 times, and it never fails to make me feel content and chilled.

It's kind of my 'cool-down' game after more intense fair like Halo MP or stealth games.

Vintage

Spintires

07e492d4-995e-4999-ba0a-526e335d5713.gif

I could never imagine that having my vehicle stuck in mud for half hour can be so relaxing. No enemies, no time, just you and the forest.

Macaco84

Alien Isolation.

Nah, just kidding. although if you took the alien out of that game so you wouldn't have to worry something is behind your back 99% of the time, it would actually be pretty cool just wondering the corridors of the space station.

In actual, the game I relax best with is Gran Turismo Prologue. Which sounds strange but the menu music is very relaxing. Taking a Ferrari for a gentle time trial around the swiss track is quite nice.

Another one for good menu music to relax to is Forza 3. Very gentle and calming.

Top Bottom