• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games have made you cry tears...

Astral

None that I can remember, but I recently played Ico and I got really sad (
and then happy
) during the ending. I thought to myself,
"We were supposed to leave together..."

As a child the last screen of Ocarina of Time kinda got to me

92408264_83d1329735.jpg

The way Link walks up, and Zelda turns around, unaware of who you are or what you did to save her and Hyrule ;_;

Didn't realise that's how you were supposed to read that.. Even finishing it last year it didn't click.

wtb new brain

Cramoss

The wolf part on the new game plus (second playthrough) of Nier and the ending of MGS4 when Otacon says
snake had a hard life
. That shit got me.

sadness. Metal Gear Solid 4,
when Raiden was crushed by New Arsenal Gear and his final thought was of Rose, even though he was upset at her

kunonabi

Silent Hill 3 - took me awhile to get over the midgame reveal.
Super Metroid - The baby
Fragile Dreams - The game sits the tone early on. If you played it you know I'm talking about
Final Fantasy X-2 - I get choked up at points but no actual crying

Chrono Trigger- When Crono is resurrected (with Marle in the party)

Final Fantasy VI- suicide scene

Tales of the Abyss- when Tear says I love you

Riposte

If there is sad music playing (and I'm a little fatigued), I can manually flip a switch that makes me tear up. Otherwise, I'll never cry.

MGS3.
Reading the description in the Boss's grave, and Big Boss saluting afterward. Intense moment.

MGS4 put a huge lump in the throat.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
The Walking Dead had me close, and Persona 4 got one out of me when
Nanako dies

Zelda: OOT -- The ending where Link had to give back the Ocarina to Zelda to regain his lost time the speech she gave.

Zelda: Twilight Princess -- Midna's tale and how she came to be and the ending where she had to depart knowing how Link really feels and spare her pain herself by breaking the mirror to keep Link from visiting her.

CorvoSol

SPOILERS IN THIS POST IN IMAGE FORM.

Tears of Sorrow:

Final Fantasy 4. Tellah. I loved the old coot, and was like, 8. First experience with something of that nature in a video game. FREAKING HURT.

Final Fantasy 6. Shadow. It's incredibly abrupt, and this goddamn song.

Final Fantasy Type-0. I held it together about as long as she did.

MGS4
"Snake . . . had a hard life, Sunny."

MGS3
"Boss!"

The Wind Waker
No you stupid old man! Take my hand! Come back WITH me! Please?

There are at least two spoilers in here that aren't tagged, but I won't complain since I've experienced them already. Just some consideration for others who have yet to play the games yet.

Whompa

-Mass Effect 3 a few moments got me.
-MGS3 debriefing. Think I balled up.
-MGS4 a few times too. Few moments in Act 3, 4, and 5 specifically. One moment in Act 3, Two moments in Act 4 and Two moments in Act 5.
-Shadow of the Colossus twice.

Other than that, I think there was something as of recent that got me upset, but no tears...I can't remember though.

trimon

never dropped a tear my my eyes have gotten watery by only 3 games the first time i played them.

Shadow of the Colossus ending

MGS3 ending

and most recently Walking Dead season 1 ending

One more vote for Mother 3

tumblr_meurpeJjCp1qgdj69.jpg

Also, as ridiculous as it may sound to some, Sam and Max The Devil's Playhouse. THAT GOD DAMN ENDING.

Brofield

Four manly tears throughout Skyward Sword.

The first three were of sorrow, the last of joy, along with three slow claps upon the ending.

I think it mostly stemmed from the fact that Zelda was the implied love interest
not counting Peatrice
that I had a much deeper emotional investment along the lines of my Pokemon games where I would mutter to my team in the hopes of getting to the nearest Pokemon Centre to prevent my team from fainting, not out of avoiding a white out but because I shared a genuine connection with those pixelated sprites.

The Kyle Hyde games also leave me pretty choked up, mostly over the fact that a threequel isn't exactly in the foreseeable future since Cing went belly up...

Opiate

Don't do that. We all know that a large portion of games are meant to be fun, while a large portion are meant to be taken as serious pieces of art.

They really need to stop being called "video games."

I think many of us disagree. I find most of the "serious pieces of art" moments to be silly and childish, sort of like taking Bad Boys seriously. It's fine to like Bad Boys or How I met Your Mother or Metal Gear Solid; really, it's fine. Just don't try to pretend these are deep, sophisticated works of art. In other words, I don't care what sort of stupid crap you like (I certainly like my share, such as Baseball), just don't try to pretend it's important and serious when it really isn't.

And I think we're finding that the majority of the populace agrees with me, rather than you. Video games are certainly growing, but the story/narrative driven kind isn't, really. Virtually all the biggest hits in the last 5 years -- Call of Duty, Wii Sports, Angry Birds, Wii Fit, Farmville --either have no story at all or a silly, bombastic one no one would take seriously. These sorts of narrative driven games feel like a relic of the "cinematic" infancy of video gaming to me, but as we move in to a more open social/multiplayer driven gaming universe they are losing their relevance.

This does not mean that games can't be taken seriously, mind you; they can. For example, A chess master is often thought of as a genius, let alone a purveyor of sophisticated games. People certainly marvel at the complexity and quick thinking required to perform the sophisticated mutlitasking needed for high level Starcraft play. But I think you'll find that the types of games you are talking about aren't taken seriously by most people, and won't be in the future. I could always be wrong, of course -- but again, we seem to be moving away from these sorts of narrative heavy games, not towards them.

Okami is the only game I've cried at the ending for. Not because it was sad, but because I got so into it and more invested than I realized. The ending sequence is so heart warming I can't help but run the waterworks.

I'm kind of a wuss like that :D

Top Bottom