• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What games have made you cry tears...

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The end of FFX. Yeah, fucking deal with it.

dreamfall

The end of The Walking Dead.

No hope left regarding Red Dead Redemption.

Journey, before "Apotheosis."

The end of Metal Gear Solid 4.

Max Payne 2- tears of joy concerning Bullet Time 2.0, tears of sadness concerning the end.

Feelings, man.

I cried like a motherfucker right before Okami's final boss battle.

Issun becoming a Celestial Envoy to help Ammy out right before the last battle.

I got so goddamn emotional during that scene.

Okami is the only game I've cried at the ending for. Not because it was sad, but because I got so into it and more invested than I realized. The ending sequence is so heart warming I can't help but run the waterworks.

I'm kind of a wuss like that :D

Also, this. I was way more invested than I thought I was.

but again, we seem to be moving away from these sorts of narrative heavy games, not towards them.

I'm not sure I agree. They may not be the main focus for many, but story has definitely become an important part of gaming, for better or worse.

I also disagree that someone should limit their own emotional reactions just because someone else says something that moved them isn't deep. People react to all media in different ways, and if they interpret something as having enough depth to make them cry, then hey, that's just how it affected them.

HylianTom

Banned
Not to take anyway from these games, but how much of this do you think is music?
A fair question.

I did get teary-eyed briefly during Super Mario Galaxy when I first arrived at Gusty Garden Galaxy and the theme music hit me for the first time. The art style and the gameplay were already fantastic enough, but the music sent me over an emotional tipping point that had me proclaiming aloud, "THIS! This is why I love these games!" It was a pretty powerful moment, and to hear that music was no small part of it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
final-fantasy-7-aeris-death-scene.jpg

Oh shut up I was nine !
Nothing embarrassing about that.

As for me, I've cried way too many times during video games. For various reasons.

Opiate

I'm not sure I agree. They may not be the main focus for many, but story has definitely become an important part of gaming, for better or worse.

Right, it isn't as if these games have suddenly instantly disappeared and are no longer relevant. Shifts like this don't happen overnight, or in a year, or in a generation.

But it's pretty clear which way we're moving. Just a decade ago "cinematic" games seem to be the obvious and clear future of gaming, with virtually all the blockbuster games of that time (GTA, MGS, FF, etc) being of that ilk. Since that time, most of the new blockbuster franchises have not fit this description, and it's becoming clear that these types of games are no longer the clear future of the medium.

I also disagree that someone should limit their own emotional reactions just because someone else says something that moved them isn't deep.

Right, this is an important distinction I seem to have with many people here: I am not a post modernist. I do not believe in absolute subjectivity of all mediums, and that any reaction to any product is equally valid.

Some things are more intelligent and sophisticated than other things. A child may be overjoyed by Pokemon, but that doesn't make his happiness as complex or rich as someone seeing/playing something more complex.

But this gets in to a fairly complex disucssion that would require its own thread; suffice it to say that I reject absolute subjectivity, in significant part due to its anti-scientific roots in universities.

The Walking Dead is the only game to have made legit tears stream down my face. A handful have brought tears to my eyes, though. Most recently it was Mass Effect 3's Extended Ending it was sort of a sad happiness. >.>

lingiii

Banned
might be alone here but in Mass Effect (the first) on Virmire when that Salarian Captain (Kirrahe or something?) gives his speech about how he and his men are going to probably die in this battle and then never have songs sung about them.

"Our influence stopped the Krogan, but before that we held the line. Our influence will stop Saren, but today, WE HOLD THE LINE."

single manly tear.

Not to take anyway from these games, but how much of this do you think is music?

Got choked up at the end of fucking BASTION because of the music. Was really strange, think the same thing happened in Journey.

I also got watery eyed at the end of MGS3, but then again I was like 13.

Orca

Far Cry 3, laughter. Sneaking up behind a patrol I killed the guy in back after distracting him away from the other guy. Get close to the partner and he says "It's so fucking hot. Someone shoot me."

Struck me as incredibly funny for some reason.

Zeal

Banned
I'm sorry, but Journey was so emotionally overrated. All this "changed my life" crap. Come on, seriously?

Anyway, Xenogears, imho, is a legitimate contender.

squidyj

I think many of us disagree. I find most of the "serious pieces of art" moments to be silly and childish, sort of like taking Bad Boys seriously. It's fine to like Bad Boys or How I met Your Mother or Metal Gear Solid; really, it's fine. Just don't try to pretend these are deep, sophisticated works of art. In other words, I don't care what sort of stupid crap you like (I certainly like my share, such as Baseball), just don't try to pretend it's important and serious when it really isn't.

And I think we're finding that the majority of the populace agrees with me, rather than you. Video games are certainly growing, but the story/narrative driven kind isn't, really. Virtually all the biggest hits in the last 5 years -- Call of Duty, Wii Sports, Angry Birds, Wii Fit, Farmville --either have no story at all or a silly, bombastic one no one would take seriously. These sorts of narrative driven games feel like a relic of the "cinematic" infancy of video gaming to me, but as we move in to a more open social/multiplayer driven gaming universe they are losing their relevance.

This does not mean that games can't be taken seriously, mind you; they can. For example, A chess master is often thought of as a genius, let alone a purveyor of sophisticated games. People certainly marvel at the complexity and quick thinking required to perform the sophisticated mutlitasking needed for high level Starcraft play. But I think you'll find that the types of games you are talking about aren't taken seriously by most people, and won't be in the future. I could always be wrong, of course -- but again, we seem to be moving away from these sorts of narrative heavy games, not towards them.

and yet a game that relied solely on it's poorly told story managed to sell enough copies to ensure a sequel. I don't think it has as much to do with what the public wants as what publishers and devs can justify producing based on past success. Also I find it kind of misleading to suggest that there is a singular entirely homogeneous gaming public. There is the suggestion in your post that Angry Birds and Call of Duty are tapping the same market which I simply don't think is true.

That's not to mention the excitement over games like Uncharted 2 and the upcoming Last of Us or the narrative elements in a game like Red Dead Redemption. To say it's dead or unwanted seems to be a highly simplistic interpretation of many many variables.

Neonsands

Neo Member
I'd have to say the most recent one I remember was Uncharted 3.

When you hallucinate Sully getting shot after you finally meet up again. Bro tear.

Recently, Persona 3 and 4, and Valkyria Chronicles.

Nanako, Shinji, and Isara got me on an almost sibling level.

As a child the last screen of Ocarina of Time kinda got to me

92408264_83d1329735.jpg

The way Link walks up, and Zelda turns around, unaware of who you are or what you did to save her and Hyrule ;_;

Yeah I think it was the music and how well done the scene was, but it really hit me and I wasn't sure why (played it for the first time a couple years ago).

The ocarina music was perfect in pretty much every scene.

Super Mario Brothers, that damned princess bitch was never in the fuckin' castle. She was taunting my love, mocking my effort, my tiny premushroom manhood. Cried evertime.

jonno394

Nier - second playthrough additional scenes and subtitles
Yakuza 3 - Them Kiryu tears and that howl in sadness/agony
FF7:Crisis Core - You knew it was coming you knew how but it was even more painful and emotional than i imagined.....

I think many of us disagree. I find most of the "serious pieces of art" moments to be silly and childish, sort of like taking Bad Boys seriously. It's fine to like Bad Boys or How I met Your Mother or Metal Gear Solid; really, it's fine. Just don't try to pretend these are deep, sophisticated works of art. In other words, I don't care what sort of stupid crap you like (I certainly like my share, such as Baseball), just don't try to pretend it's important and serious when it really isn't.

And I think we're finding that the majority of the populace agrees with me, rather than you. Video games are certainly growing, but the story/narrative driven kind isn't, really. Virtually all the biggest hits in the last 5 years -- Call of Duty, Wii Sports, Angry Birds, Wii Fit, Farmville --either have no story at all or a silly, bombastic one no one would take seriously. These sorts of narrative driven games feel like a relic of the "cinematic" infancy of video gaming to me, but as we move in to a more open social/multiplayer driven gaming universe they are losing their relevance.

This does not mean that games can't be taken seriously, mind you; they can. For example, A chess master is often thought of as a genius, let alone a purveyor of sophisticated games. People certainly marvel at the complexity and quick thinking required to perform the sophisticated mutlitasking needed for high level Starcraft play. But I think you'll find that the types of games you are talking about aren't taken seriously by most people, and won't be in the future. I could always be wrong, of course -- but again, we seem to be moving away from these sorts of narrative heavy games, not towards them.

I guess I should've stressed that the ones meant to be taken seriously are in the minority. Games like Journey, the Zero Escape series, and Shadow of the Colossus are at least attempting to be taken as real pieces of art, and they make gaming better because of it.

Sure, the popular games are the ones that aren't to be taken all that seriously, but it doesn't mean that there aren't a good number of games that push the medium, and what it can do on an emotional level, forward.

EDIT: And I disagree that we're moving away from narrative heavy games. More and more games are being made, and just because the MOST popular games aren't narrative heavy doesn't mean that more and more narrative heavy games aren't being made. It just means that the non-narrative heavy ones are growing at a faster rate. It's just a product of mass appeal. Lowest Common Denominator yadda yadda yadda.

Opiate

and yet a game that relied solely on it's poorly told story managed to sell enough copies to ensure a sequel. I don't think it has as much to do with what the public wants as what publishers and devs can justify producing based on past success. Also I find it kind of misleading to suggest that there is a singular entirely homogeneous gaming public. There is the suggestion in your post that Angry Birds and Call of Duty are tapping the same market which I simply don't think is true.

That is not at all the suggestion of my post and if you read it that way you are wrong.

That's not to mention the excitement over games like Uncharted 2 and the upcoming Last of Us or the narrative elements in a game like Red Dead Redemption. To say it's dead or unwanted seems to be a highly simplistic interpretation of many many variables.

I didn't say it's dead. I didn't say it's unwanted. That would indeed be a highly simplistic interpretation.

I guess I should've stressed that the ones meant to be taken seriously are in the minority. Games like Journey, the Zero Escape series, and Shadow of the Colossus are at least attempting to be taken as real pieces of art, and they make gaming better because of it.

Sure, the popular games are the ones that aren't to be taken all that seriously, but it doesn't mean that there aren't a good number of games that push the medium, and what it can do on an emotional level forward

This I can agree with, to an extent. Journey (as an example) did it much better than most. I just think gaming's emotional palette is different than movies (as it should be, as they are different mediums!) For example, I think films and novels and other non-interactive mediums will be expressly better at telling stories, forever. In exactly the same way that sculpture is a perfectly valid artistic medium that is good at certain things, but not very good at telling stories compared to some other mediums, so too are video games, in my opinion. So video games may not be as good at evoking sadness or happiness, but may be much better at evoking a sense of achievement or failure.

I don't mean that games can't try, and certainly Journey did better than many others. But all mediums have strengths, and I don't think the emotional palette we typically associate with movies and books is a particular strong suit of video games.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
the first time i played Mario 64 in a pre-release demo in a store. it was the most amazing and beautiful thing I had ever seen. I think 3D gaming was probably like color TV would've been. Just incredible

the first time i played Mario 64 in a pre-release demo in a store. it was the most amazing and beautiful thing I had ever seen. I think 3D gaming was probably like color TV would've been. Just incredible

Man, I wish I could've been old enough to appreciate that leap when it happened. I'm hoping to be able to experience something like that before getting too old and jaded.

The only game that made me tear up was MGS3's ending (what a crazy answer).

MGS4 was mentally excruciating towards the end. Watching Snake suffer for the entire game was just heartbreaking at moments.

Bricky

Recently,
Luna
's ending in VLR.

This one. Not out loud, but a tear was certainly shed.

Also notable;
- The ending of The Walking Dead got me all teary-eyed
- In VLR (again) I found the part where (not really a spoiler, but to be sure)
K rides the kids ride
so funny and random I almost cried.
- To The Moon (probably the closest to really crying here).

This I can agree with, to an extent. Journey (as an example) did it much better than most. I just think gaming's emotional palette is different than movies (as it should be, as they are different mediums!) For example, I think films and novels and other non-interactive mediums will be expressly better at telling stories, forever. In exactly the same way that sculpture is a perfectly valid artistic medium that is good at certain things, but not very good at telling stories compared to some other mediums, so too are video games, in my opinion. So video games may not be as good at evoking sadness or happiness, but may be much better at evoking a sense of achievement or failure.

I don't mean that games can't try, and certainly Journey did better than many others. But all mediums have strengths, and I don't think the emotional palette we typically associate with movies and books is a particular strong suit of video games.

There already exist stories that are only possible in video games. That's why I think striving to be "better" than films or novels isn't the best way of looking at the whole thing. They should strive to be different, taking advantage of the medium to evoke both the same and different emotions as other mediums.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
There already exist stories that are only possible in video games. That's why I think striving to be "better" than films or novels isn't the best way of looking at the whole thing. They should strive to be different, taking advantage of the medium to evoke both the same and different emotions as other mediums.

And BAM. You get Dark Souls.

antitrop

No game has ever made me cry.
Not trying to sound like a badass, either, because I've cried at some pretty ridiculous movies. Games have just never had that effect on me.

I've had emotional reactions and connections to games, but never quite caused the salty water to roll down my cheeks.

Profound Sadness - Klonoa: The Door to Phantomile, dat ending. D:
Profound Sadness - Gurumin, dat ending. D:
Hot Blooded Tears - Code of Princess, dat shonen fight camaraderie cliche gets me when executed well.

Opiate

They will not be as effective at evoking the "Same" emotions. They will be better at evoking "different" ones.

If you think that video games are just as good at evoking all the emotions that movies can, then you are effectively saying that video games are the evolution of movies; that they do everything that movies do, and then some. This is certainly a possible perspective, but it seems extremely unlikely, just as movies did not prove to be the evolution of books, which still clearly have their strong suits and billions of readers.

I mean, there are also stories which can only be told through sculpture, as well. Stories which rely on particular, exquisite three dimensional detail, such as Bernini's Hades and Persephone. This doesn't realistically make Sculpture a good medium for telling stories relative to others; so too, video games.

MC Safety

Mass Effect 3 had that really good ending with Shephard and Anderson sitting on the dais bleeding out. You know, right before the dumb ending.

And, of course, Stationfall.

alphaNoid

Banned
None, however The Walking Dead got me pretty emotional at the end of EP5. For the most part, movies don't even move me.. outside of some real rare ones. In fact, I dont eve know the last time I've ever seen someone ever cry during a movie.. let alone a game.

Is that normal?

Top Bottom