• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Grade do you give Sony this generation? (PlayStation 4/Slim/Pro)

What grade do you give Sony this gen for PlayStation 4?

• Total voters

Gexxy1

D+ = adequate?

C- isn't an option. So I'll roll with the "adequate" D+ I guess.

Perhaps a silly question, but how do you vote?

Last edited:
saying that the PS4 is better than the PS2 is downright retarded and anyone that says so was probably not born when that console was out

this is PS4s entire exclusive list : https://store.playstation.com/en-us...rection=desc&gameContentType=games&sort=price

that doesn't compare to what the PS2 had. not even half of it. first party aside third party devs didn't just maybe GaaS's that are practicaly identical to one another.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
B+ here. Yeah, Microsoft threw Sony a softball, but Sony also learned a lot from the PS3 era (no overly complex architecture, court developers, keep the price reasonable). It hasn't had many exclusives, but it helped spur the modern approach to online subscriptions (pay this amount, get free game each month) and has generally been as good or better a place to play for multi-platform games.

The main missteps as far as I'm concerned: not as many desirable exclusives, and that dismissive opposition to cross-platform play. I'm not worried about that 'censorship' mess as it likely doesn't affect the clear majority of the PS4's audience, at least not right now.

Eh... D+. Xbox one would be an F.

Lots of cool ps4 games, but a lot of them are either old games remade, or made by someone other than sony like Nier. I hate how Sony's studios are in the final stages of hollywood wannabees (I like Uc4 and Until dawn though). We are witnessing gaming enter in the era of big budget rehashes just like what happened to movies, remakes, remakes everywhere. Gamers are straight up asking for them as a best case scenario because they have so little faith in new projects. Hell games can't even escape politics now.

Don't get me wrong there's a lot to like, but damn we've gone downhill. Oh and ds4 has one shitty battery and not the best build quality.

Plus I just have to dock it points for games that ship incomplete, require ridiculously big patches and we now require installs for games. Unless sony provides full, complete hardware based BC for ps5 I am going to skip it and just stick with Nintendo as my only console.

Last edited:
B+

pros:
-good hardware
-great games

cons:
-no on device BC
-no 4k blu ray support even in pro
-ds4 is a disappointment (peeling rubber, symmetric sticks, battery life)
-hdmi handshake issues with LG TVs (possibly others as well?)

SScorpio

saying that the PS4 is better than the PS2 is downright retarded and anyone that says so was probably not born when that console was out

this is PS4s entire exclusive list : https://store.playstation.com/en-us...rection=desc&gameContentType=games&sort=price.

That list is very incomplete. Where are Bloodborne, God of War, Uncharted 4, or even Spiderman??? New stuff like Tetris Effect? Then there are a bunch of games that are only on the PS4 and Vita. <s>As no one bought a Vita those are pretty much exclusives. </s>

The PS2 was great back in the day as a lot of developers became comfortable making 3D games. We still have 1-2 years of games coming out for the PS4.

But if you really just want to play old games, grab a Switch. You can pay full price for 1-2 gen old games to play.

Chronos24

While I would give the overall experience in reference to gaming and VR I give PS4 an A+. They killed it this gen. On a strictly hardware standpoint ranging from the og PS4 to the Pro, the fan noise was a real killer. I personally had a lot of trouble with fan noise and for that I give the hardware a D. B for power at start of the gen and a C for power now behind Xbox One X.

DryvBy

The two people that gave it an N.

LOL. You're joking, right? They've consistently knocked it out of the park with exclusives, which is the main reason to even own a specific console. And not exclusives like "hey, this game is no longer coming to every platform". I can see a C minimum, but an N or F? Just stop and get some help.

LOL. You're joking, right? They've consistently knocked it out of the park with exclusives, which is the main reason to even own a specific console. And not exclusives like "hey, this game is no longer coming to every platform". I can see a C minimum, but an N or F? Just stop and get some help.

It’s the same as people on metacritic giving games 0’s. Just disregard

depends. if they liked the tons of exclusives ps1,ps2 had. and even ps3 did? the diversity of games. they would have a solid opinion. with how strong pc gaming is nowdays. consoles are still relevant. and my choice platform for gaming. but pc gaming is a lot stronger than it used to be a few years ago. especially since just about any third party game is also on PC.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Don't have a PS4, but gave it a B+ according to the poll. Would have given it A+, but Sony has dozed off the past few years riding the wave..... censorship, no crossplay, PS Now over things like optional EA Access, no BC, gamers seem to have a pain trying to get digital refunds (whereas places like MS and Valve have better refund policies), etc.....

The core gaming is great with solid exclusives. But some reason the secondary kinds of things they don't really care.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Don't have a PS4, but gave it a B+ according to the poll. Would have given it A+, but Sony has dozed off the past few years riding the wave..... censorship, no crossplay, PS Now over things like optional EA Access, no BC, gamers seem to have a pain trying to get digital refunds (whereas places like MS and Valve have better refund policies), etc.....

The core gaming is great with solid exclusives. But some reason the secondary kinds of things they don't really care.
I agree with you. Sony has been knocking it out of the park with single player exclusives, but in many areas they've moved back to being arrogant Sony. They definitely could be more consumer friendly.

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
C+/B- for me. Arrogant Sony showed up this generation. And a decent chunk of the success had more to do with MSFT (and Nintendo) bungling things than Sony doing anything amazing. I don't care about the third party games for the most part because I have a gaming PC, but nice lineup of exclusives.

Bryank75

Banned
PS2 had MGS2 , 3 , Zone of the Enders, Devil May Cry, RE4, GT was still great and I was massively into Tekken, not to mention GTA and GOW so it takes the crown.
There is still time this generation but it got off to a slow start, never understood the Knack fascination and giving it a sequel , Media Molecule have not delivered a single new game all this generation and a few that have like Liverpool were shutdown needlessly. Guerrilla Cambridge shouldn't have been closed either.
They need to make the UI more interesting , I suggested using Sackboy as a customisable avatar.... Maybe then have a social area / game for people to meet n play.
Controller needs better battery life and quality materials. Razer should have the job of making the Pro controller , they have an excellent one atm.
Hopefully they keep overall momentum of exclusives going and add a few online games like Socom or something .
Id like them to acquire Bungie and set them straight , free from microtransactions etc.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I´m gonna go with an A here.

PS4 is probably my favourite PS console since the PSX. Lots of great games that have come out for it, with Bloodborne being my all time favourite game. Japanese games have also seen somewhat of a resurgance since last gen where they seemed to struggle a lot more, and most of the games end up on PS4. The PS+ brings some nice added values every now and then, so no complaints there. The Dual Shock 4 however is not that good. Great comfort, but the battery life is useless and the lights and touch pad too. Can´t believe Sony didn´t release a new version of it and stuck with it the entire gen.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
At the start, it was a B. Strong pro-consumer policies, good games, and quality hardware... however that changed as time went on. There were a few misteps (basically killing the Vita), and a few wins (PSVR), but it just got worse and worse. Terrible anti-consumer policies, mediocre/sub-par first party exclusives, needless censorship, etc. Easily earned an F because of it

Overall, taking the early and late efforts from Sony, I would give it a C-. The recent changes going on at Sony have burned a lot of good will.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
C+ The console itself is poor quality. Shitty physical buttons on the console that are hard to use. LAN port craps out. Worst durability and battery life in a controller ever for them. Poor quality wi-fi.

Services sucked. Started charging for online this gen. No backwards compatibility. No Game pass equivalent. PS+ often sucked horribly and was way worse than last gen. They did have a lot of sales on games, so that was appreciated.

They got through the entire gen based on software output. Their best software output ever for first party stuff. That's almost the only thing they did well this gen.

Last edited:

Fake

A+ because a little reminder guys, the generation still not over. Until there the comparison with ps2 still not 100% fair.
For me at least is A+. Can increase or decrease in this two years of next gen hype. Still so many exclusives and a Kingdom Hearts game for this generation.
Lets see whats happen.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
A+ because a little reminder guys, the generation still not over. Until there the comparison with ps2 still not 100% fair.
For me at least is A+. Can increase or decrease in this two years of next gen hype. Still so many exclusives and a Kingdom Hearts game for this generation.
Lets see whats happen.

Agreed with you, but the recent moves by Sony have not been good moves. They are actively hurting the player base, especially in Japan with the recent moves of censorship and forcing the studios on the east to respond in English to the Cali HQ.

Mooreberg

B+

They are publishing a lot of great games, they nailed the price/feature ratio back in 2013, and the interface and features are great. My knock agianst them at this point, and this is turning into an industry wide issue, is letting publishers plop unfinished games onto a Blu-Ray and then having to download a 50+GB "patch" before playing it. Meet them halfway and them put the game out, but just put download codes in the box like a lot of retail PC games have. Needing to have some pre-alpha coaster in the disc drive is ridiculous. PS+ could have gotten better two years before it got better, but I'm guessing they wanted to milk $1.99 2D Steam games as long as they could. Beyond that, PS4 has been the second smoothest experience I've had with Sony hardware after PS2. I don't miss PS3's absurd "you need 2X the game size to download and install it" mess.

DansDans

My C was based on reasons that are opposite to what the OP mentioned were the qualifications for the "C" grade.

At the start I thought it was awesome - it was fun, the library while fledgling was kept alive with Indies and a handful of great exclusives, and the big hitting exclusives were fun when they eventually came out...

...but then the "arrogant Sony" (as seems to be the popular phrase) kicked in. Reluctance to do cross-play, rejection of a service like EA Access (or whatever its called), not bothering to expand PSNow beyond the US, the censorship of Japanese games and THAT E3 disaster.

Now looking back at the catalogue for the last few years, I am very reluctant to pick up a Sony first-party game due to the fact that I dont want to sit through mountains and mountains of cut-scenes and QTE's to perhaps get an opportunity to play the game until another cut-scene kicks in. Did I not notice these games in the PS3 era or did I not care?

hymanator

+PlayStation VR is awesome
+Remote Play worked well
+Solid exclusive games
+Great controller design and features (speaker, vr light)
+ Share features were useful

- No backward compatibility, not even PS1
- Horrible refund policy
- Controller has terrible battery life
- Move controller for VR was a bad choice
- Single camera tracking in VR didn't work well with certain games
- Limited cross-platform play compared to competition
- Not a fan of requiring a subscription to play online (when PS3 is free)
- Remote play only works on specific phones/tablets approved by Sony

A solid C .

If they had all there exclusives available on PC, then probably an A. I do not enjoy insane blurriness and laggy gameplay that comes bundled with 30fps.

Top Bottom