• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What happened to Wipeout HD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LJ11

captscience said:
None of the preview builds had online enabled. Must be where the issues are.
The preview build also had tearing, but that isn't the type of thing that would delay release for months.

This is pretty crap news. I had this game firmly slotted into my summer gaming schedule.

Yeah, you're right. Weren't they trying to implement racing team battles similar to the nations/factions war in Chromehounds? They can 86 it as far as I'm concerned, just get it out already.

wipeout fans know what happened when Wipeout appeared last gen it was hyped, then it was hyped, then announced, then delayed, then lost in development hell, then unceremoniously released and....

...yeah I'm talking about Fusion.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That...is very strange. We don't even know if this semi-remake of a game is going to hit this year?! What about the next ACTUAL Wipeout sequel? They should just scrap the HD concept, throw what they've cooked into a retail game, design a bunch of new tracks, and actually release a full blown game.

Xater

MirageDwarf said:
Big disappointment. Did they forget to design game preemptively for trophies or what?

Previews didn't mention any major technical problems, did they?

Actually they all mentioned that he game is pretty much done...

Dr. Zoidberg said:
When it comes to price points, we need more Tekken 5s on PSN and less Warhawks, IMO.

Right, Tekken 5, that get's no fucking support, has shitty net code, and looks like a game from last generation.

Meanwhile, we have Warhawk, with fucking brilliant support, the ability to sustain it's userbase on it's own through the use of user created dedicated servers, and a fucking shit load of replay value.

Right.

The crazy train is down the road. I think it's waiting for you.

BeeDog

They forgot to design the game so it could be distributed digitally. :lol

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck, the worst gaming news to come out of E3, was so looking forward to it :'(

GodofWine

Launch it for half price with no online, and then update it for half price with online!!!

The only thing they have going for them is that the Fatal Inertia demo as so dull I could never buy it instead....god it sucked.

Warhawk for $29.99 is about the best bang for your buck you will ever get, calling it over priced is absurd..at full price it was easily worth it.

bj00rn_

Banned
"I think it will come out before the end of the year"

WTF... I was expecting to play it around now, it's my most anticipated PS3 game for foox sake!

I don't even want online :( I want zooooooooone moooooooooooooooooode!

That said, good luck Studio Liverpool, this must be as frustrating for them as it is for us >_<

Barrett2

Did they seriously announce this game might slip to 2009? The delays this generation are absolutely killing me... Unbelievable.

Eccocid

bah :(
will there be any good games to spend summer? heck its even mid summer :(
i wanted a long lasting rpg and wipeout this summer ...damn sony

h3ro

Well, Reeves said end of the year... but he's boss of SCEE and Yurop gets everything late, so by my powers of extrapolation... September?

snap0212

Oh my god, I totally forgot that this is in development. So, it was planned to be released "this summer"? That's what I heard a few months ago, but we can't trust Sony anymore - almost everything from Sony gets delayed over and over again. Anyway, price will be waay too high for a port, I guess. I hope they will not charge more than 20 €...

slider

Fatal Inertia redeemed. Also, as I'm making crap "jokes", Shuhei Yoshida's big foot comes crashing down again.

Hmm. This intrigues me. Someone above mentioned it may perhaps be an "online" issue. I cannot begin to fathom how they've come to this state of affairs. Surely, at the start of the project they have a tech spec before a line of code is "written"?

yurinka

Lies!. A "technical issue". Ha. Ha.Ha.

It's impossible that a fucking bug can't delay a game 6 months or A YEAR. With 6 months they can redo all the on-line code 3 times. I think the problem isn't here, because it can be removed a sold later through DLC like surely they are going to do with all the missing features.

Remember they removed the half of the game features initially planned, surely because they want to sell it through "add ons".

If they are ripping all the content from the PSP games, surely partially the on-line code would be also ripped from it (awesome work in psp BTW).

I think the real reason is they had (and have) the Wipeout HD staff busy helping other projects, and they prefer to fit all their PSN store windows with generic GARBAGE like their PSN games showed in E3 and shits like EleWTFunk.

If the game is being to be delayed more than 2 months more, give me back all that removed features/modes, and add all the missing circuits and music tracks from the PSP games(bring back Cold Storage). And release it also in Blue-Ray . And change the voice.

pswii60

Opus Angelorum said:
Very strange wording.
Yeah, really strange. Considering almost final builds were sent to journos, even a crashing bug or two could be sorted in a week. Net code could be patched later. Just doesn't make any sense.

yurinka said:
I think the real reason is they had (and have) the Wipeout HD staff busy helping other projects, and they prefer to fit all their PSN store windows with generic GARBAGE.

How dare you talk about the Fat Princess like that!

pswii60 said:
Just doesn't make any sense.

Especially if it is a problem with the online component; a major problem like this should only exist and be quickly rectified in the early stages of development.

It sounds like this literally came out of nowhere, surprising.

Diablos

Wasn't this supposed to come out in May? I realllllllly want to play this game. It is one of the reasons why I have a PS3. Starting to get concerned since it has been pushed back so many times.

There has to be more than enough of this game completed for Sony to have been able to show it off at E3. It was dumb to keep it away from their conference!

yurinka

Diablos said:
Wasn't this supposed to come out in May?

I realllllllly want to play this game. It is one of the reasons why I have a PS3.

Starting to get concerned since it has been pushed back so many times.

I buyed a PS3 for this game, and MGS4.

BTW didn't they cancelled a couple of projects? Put all that fucking resources in Wipeout HD! Now!

pswii60

Opus Angelorum said:
Especially if it is a problem with the online component; a major problem like this should only exist and be quickly rectified in the early stages of development.

It sounds like this literally came out of nowhere, surprising.
Maybe they're using some kind of third party tech in their engine (physics or something), have fallen out with the company/supplier, and are now redoing that portion of the game. Something similar to the Too Human UE3 incident. Dunno, reaching now. Who knows.
Diablos said:
Wasn't this supposed to come out in May? I realllllllly want to play this game. It is one of the reasons why I have a PS3. Starting to get concerned since it has been pushed back so many times.
Last year originally.

yurinka

h3ro said:
Well, Reeves said end of the year... but he's boss of SCEE and Yurop gets everything late, so by my powers of extrapolation... September?
Yes, September of 2010 ( ¬¬J)

Oh Fuck, I was looking forward to having this more than any other game this year and now I'm being told I'll be lucky to play it this year... FUUUUCK!!!

Grayman

pswii60 said:
Maybe they're using some kind of third party tech in their engine (physics or something), have fallen out with the company/supplier, and are now redoing that portion of the game. Something similar to the Too Human UE3 incident. Dunno, reaching now. Who knows.

Last year originally.
Everything I can think of was in the sony family. Physics were pulled directly out of Pure or Pulse, Art for those games was done by sony not DR, the engine was one the older SCEE game engines(I think motorstorm instead of liverpools own f1 engine), they've done their own online before...

it has to be a problem with their own tech and not pulled licensing. Maybe they streamed track and craft graphics and phantom shortcuts shredded the harddrive into bits?

Philip Kollar on 1up asked Scott Rohde, Sony VP of product development about where Wipeout HD is:

ScottRohde said:
I'm not sure I know how to answer that right now. There are still some decisions being made on that particular product for the U.S.

This is not sounding good at all. I'm surprised they don't have any PR friendly response to people asking about this title. This answer even suggests that the game may never come to the US.

K0NY

The phrase "Sony hopes it will be available before the end of the year" makes my stomach turn. This is fucking bullshit!

The suggestion that there's a technical issue which different regions need to fix makes it seem like there's some environment variable that's out of the developer's hands. I'm guessing that a game running at 60fps is going to run into latency problems in online mode. Tekken had some really strange slow-down and stuff.

Anyway, who wants to buy an original launch PS3? It's really good at sitting around and waiting for software.

nix_nz

Neo Member
Vinterbird said:
No idea. I was just told by another journalist that several scandinavian magazines have gotten their Wipeout HD review code.

But since it's magazines that are getting it, it could mean that there might but up to another month or so in waiting time left.

Full review code? We've had a sample build for months.

Grayman

Bearillusion said:
I think they are going to the pull the PSN release and put it on bluray.
If they are screwed techwise but not starting a new project it would make sense to keep artists on tracks and craft for awhile.

K0NY said:
The phrase "Sony hopes it will be available before the end of the year" makes my stomach turn. This is fucking bullshit!

The suggestion that there's a technical issue which different regions need to fix makes it seem like there's some environment variable that's out of the developer's hands. I'm guessing that a game running at 60fps is going to run into latency problems in online mode. Tekken had some really strange slow-down and stuff.

Anyway, who wants to buy an original launch PS3? It's really good at sitting around and waiting for software.
Framerate does not have to link to online latency. If it was sweden would be the only country with online gaming.

Tekken probably does it because blockstun, hit stun, and juggles interupt the characters. In racing and shooters collisions aren't as harsh so no artificial slowdown is needed to keep the game consistent.

The different regions thing may have meant that they asked all the ninjas for help already. I don't know what the issue could be aside from the fact that it is probably something really weird and unexpected. It may be an online problem but it isn't the speed of light and internet routing causing frame drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom