• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favorite curry?

Favorite curry?

• Vindaloo

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • Madras

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Korma

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Rogan Josh

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • Saag

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Stephen

• Tikka Masala

Votes: 22 18.2%
  • Jalfrezi

• Red curry

Votes: 11 9.1%
  • Green curry

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Yellow curry

Votes: 6 5.0%
  • Massaman

Votes: 4 3.3%
  • Jamaican

• Ceylon

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Portuguese

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Afghan

• Other (please specify)

Votes: 28 23.1%

• Total voters

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I just started using chickpeas instead of meat in my curries, We've found that you only really taste the sauce anyway, chickpeas are high in protein and fibre and lower cholesterol. And they're cheaper than meat too.

In answer to the original question, I like a madras or a jalfrezi. Tried a vindaloo once and gave up.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Kaju curry aka the food of gods.

74221955.cms
Thanks for the tip, gonna try this.

GeekyDad

When I'm in a hurry, I love a curry. Nothing beats that ol' slurry. My cousin is a furry.
Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

I just started using chickpeas instead of meat in my curries, We've found that you only really taste the sauce anyway, chickpeas are high in protein and fibre and lower cholesterol. And they're cheaper than meat too.

In answer to the original question, I like a madras or a jalfrezi. Tried a vindaloo once and gave up.
Yeah, been doing the chickpeas for the past 7-8 years now. Absolutely love the texture, and very easy to make at home.

Tams

Green.

Though really anything with some coconut milk in it. But not too much.

South Asian curries are great, but can be a bit too heavy for me sometimes (and I love spicy heat).

I do like Japanese curry... but it's a ultimately a poor imitation/adaption and quite bland. I'd almost not call it a curry (even if the word originally meant something like 'sauce').

Last edited:

ahtlas7

I’ve had Japanese curry a few times and always found them too sweet. Are all Japanese curry’s sweet? What should I order if I want it savory?

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Spicy Vindaloo. I usually cube boneless, skinless chicken breasts, baby carrots, red or golden potatoes, onions, garlic, little tumeric, possibly some spicy fucking peppers.
I throw on some Basmati in the Rice God and call it a day. I cook the chicken curry until it's thick and.... omg.. it's ultimate one of the most revitalizing meals I ever have eaten.
You can alter the recipe by going all out on the veggies. I usually pick veggies based on their vitamin makeup.

Also, have had 19 types of curry while eating in the same venue as the former governor of Nagano, Japan. in 2008-2009? My memory is fuzzy.
I think it was a small event, known to a few. I just happen to be visiting, lol.

Came to say this. I'm not a big fan of Indian or Japanese curry. Thai curries only for me.

Why not? Also, I looked up examples of Thai Curry, wow.... Now, I want to try it, and, while I am not eating as much spicy, I want to go all out on the spicy, when I do! Just for that first try.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Why not? Also, I looked up examples of Thai Curry, wow.... Now, I want to try it, and, while I am not eating as much spicy, I want to go all out on the spicy, when I do! Just for that first try.

I love Tandori so usually when I eat indian I get that. But generally I love Thai curry, all kinds.

I used to go to one thai place we always got the panang curry. We used to ask for extra spicy. They kept making is spicier and spicer until once time it was me and 2 friends we were eating and just blowing our noses and melting our mouths and it was not enjoyable at all. The next time we finally asked them to tone down the spice, they defeated us it was embarrassing lol.

I also love Japanese Katsu but I dont like it wit Curry, give me some bulldog sauce.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Anything hot and spicy! Vindaloo is nice but doesn't have much of a kick in it. I do sometimes buy a Vindaloo and add more chilli to it. Anytime that I buy a curry from a restaurant and it's listed as "HOT" then I am always disappointed. I guess that they can't make it too hot because you don't want customers complaining that they were farting out flames.

When I'm making homemade curry I buy hot & spicy curry paste, sprinkle some cayenne pepper, throw in some habanero flakes, and some dried carolina reaper. If I want just a hot curry then only put a tiny bit of CR in or leave it out completely. With CR it goes from enjoyable hot to painful that you literally have to force yourself to eat it. The last time I made it I was dripping of sweat and I had to drink almost a full bottle (4 pints/ or about 2 litres) of milk before my mouth started to stop burning and after that I could feel it working its way through my body over the next few days. I had stomach cramps and going to the toilet was like peeing or pooping out lava. I don't know why I even bother to make such hot food because it's painful and I know I'm going to suffer.

I still do enjoy mild curries. I do like some green thai curry now and then.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Probably Massaman, Thai Green, or Katsu for me.

Certainly not that oily, cheap slop they throw together for drunk British people in Indian restaurants.

Tams

I’ve had Japanese curry a few times and always found them too sweet. Are all Japanese curry’s sweet? What should I order if I want it savory?
Yes, they are. That's what makes them Japanese curry.

Now, of course there will be some Japanese person out there making something less sweet (that's also not just another culture's curry).

And I agree. They're too sweet. Generally if I want sweetness in a curry, I go with coconut milk and/or mango chutney as a condiment.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
TBH I don´t think I´ve ever had real curry. It isnt big here in Holland unlike the UK for example. Im not one for hot spicy food so whatever. And Thai flavours taste like soap :sick:

ahtlas7

TBH I don´t think I´ve ever had real curry. It isnt big here in Holland unlike the UK for example. Im not one for hot spicy food so whatever. And Thai flavours taste like soap :sick:
While it doesn’t serve curry specifically, you have to try this Nepalese restaurant in Amsterdam. It was one of the best restaurants I ate at while there. It was amazing.

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right

Yeah, been doing the chickpeas for the past 7-8 years now. Absolutely love the texture, and very easy to make at home.

Tell me moar. I've um ... never cooked with chickepeas ever, so what's the prep and cooking process like? I'm getting to an age where I should start cutting down on the meat, and looking at more healthier choices :)

GeekyDad

Tell me moar. I've um ... never cooked with chickepeas ever, so what's the prep and cooking process like? I'm getting to an age where I should start cutting down on the meat, and looking at more healthier choices :)
It's definitely, I believe, a healthier choice, and the one thing about chickpeas (for me at least) is they make you feel full faster.

I have two main curries with chickpeas I like to make. I'll give you my breakdown for the first -- a very traditional one. I use three ripe romas, two large sweet onions a half a head (about six cloves) of garlic. Saute the onions (in about two tbsp of good evoo on a medium eat -- just below the oil's burning point) to your liking. Here lately, I prefer them a little browner. Once they're done to your liking, add about a quarter to half tsp of kosher salt, cumin, turmeric, garam masala and the minced garlic (don't use the pre-bottled garlic -- trust me, mincing garlic is easy) -- I used to also add a nice-sized chunk of ginger, but I now save that for my chicken curry. Saute those for a few minutes, then add about a tbsp of tomato paste (optional -- I didn't always do that, but sometimes I prefer a thicker curry) and your fresh tomatoes. Cover the pan and let simmer (without removing the lid to stir) for 10 minutes, add chickpeas (I use two cans of Kroger's organic), stir, cover, another 10 minutes, stir, then I do three cycles of 15 minutes, stirring between cycles, slowly lower the heat to medium-low between each cycle. Shut the heat, let sit for a bit, or eat whenever you're ready. Me, I always cook them ahead of time, so I'll have two days worth of meals for myself. But your call. And as for the spices, I always put about a 1/2 a tsp of each, but depending on my mood, it could end up being more or less.

The other version I make is identical except for the spices. I substitute those with one whole cinnamon stick, coriander and ground cloves (same measurements). It's my new go-to curry. Almost tastes like BBQ curry.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
My approach is slightly less finessed than GeekyDad GeekyDad .

Open the can, pour away the water (though I just found out you can actually use this for other things).

Then I normally microwave them for a couple of minutes and chuck them in the curry sauce which may or may not have come from a jar or packet...

And done.

I'm getting better at cooking from scratch, but curry is still a convenience thing for us.

Last edited:

JCK75

The best curry I've ever tasted, and not only that I'd say one of the best things I've ever tasted period
it was
Khing Prik Curry Lamb at a restaurant called The Banana leaf in Guangzhou China.

GeekyDad

My approach is slightly less finessed than GeekyDad GeekyDad .

Open the can, pour away the water (though I just found out you can actually use this for other things).

Then I normally microwave them for a couple of minutes and chuck them in the curry sauce which may or may not have come from a jar or packet...

And done.

I'm getting better at cooking from scratch, but curry is still a convenience thing for us.
Yup. And that's another thing I failed to mention. Depending, again, on what I'm hankering for, I'll either use (traditionally) the water of one can in the curry, but sometimes the water from both cans, or neither.

The Stig

Phaal

I used to eat it once a week as a treat, lovely stuff.

Can OP add it in the poll so I can be literally the only person who votes for it.

FYI is super hot and most proper indian restaurants won't have it on the menu but they will make it for you.

Last edited:
Phaal

I used to eat it once a week as a treat, lovely stuff.

Can OP add it in the poll so I can be literally the only person who votes for it.

FYI is super hot and most proper indian restaurants won't have it on the menu but they will make it for you.
Phaal's aren't for the faint hearted.

84HTFQC.gif

The Stig

Phaal's aren't for the faint hearted.

84HTFQC.gif
It's true.

When I used to eat them on a regular basis it was fine. Then I moved to USA (from London, UK) and it was much harder to find a decent curry.

A few years go by and I visit my parents back in the UK and I finally have a phaal after 5 years or so.

My body was NOT ready.
diarrhea.gif

It's true.

When I used to eat them on a regular basis it was fine. Then I moved to USA (from London, UK) and it was much harder to find a decent curry.

A few years go by and I visit my parents back in the UK and I finally have a phaal after 5 years or so.

My body was NOT ready.
diarrhea.gif
I can remember my dad eating them regularly when I was a child. I tried one once and I couldn't feel my face! The experience on the toilet I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.

h0EDxRd.gif

CU9Hghn.gif

rTStuRJ.gif

BFmOsY0.gif

Muffdraul

Thai red curry. But the catch is, there was a Thai restaurant called Rama in Fullerton CA in the 80s/early 90s, and they made the best red curry I've ever had. I almost always got it with shrimp. I moved away in 1994, and even when I do get back home occasionally, they closed probably not long after I moved. My life since then has been trying to find any other place that even comes close. Always a big fail. Rama's was very liquidy and sweet, but also very spicy. Everyone else makes it way too thick and pasty.

Top Bottom