• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favourite launchgame (any console)

Krowley

Jive Turkey said:
Yes.

As of now I'd probably say it is either a Mario game or Pikmin.

EDIT: Oops! Forgot about Sonic the Hedgehog!

If i'm remembering my genesis history right, sonic wasn't released until a year or so after launch... i think the best launch game for genesis was probably golden axe or the alex kid game...but my memory is fuzzy, they may have been released a little after launch too.

edit// i'm pretty sure sonic's release was times to compete with the launch of the snes.

SuperMario64box.jpg

I would pick SSBM, but that came out 2 weeks after GC's launch. I expect TP to take this award though.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Krowley said:
If i'm remembering my genesis history right, sonic wasn't released until a year or so after launch... i think the best launch game for genesis was probably golden axe or the alex kid game...but my memory is fuzzy, they may have been released a little after launch too.

edit// i'm pretty sure sonic's release was times to compete with the launch of the snes.
Really? Ah bummer...I could have sworn it was launch but maybe that's just because it became a pack-in (it was at least a pack-in right???)

Mar

Adagio said:
THAT WAS ME.

Haha.

I'm not sure I've ever bought a console at 'launch'... Except maybe the SNES? Yeah I think I bought that at launch. Then waited playing SMW until SF2 was released (I was never a Mario fan really).

Actually I think I bought the SegaCD at launch (yes, laugh at me if you like, worst decision ever). But I can't remember what were launch games. If any of them were Final Fight CD, Sonic CD, or Mortal Kombat. Then those would be my favourite launch games (interestingly, the only good games on the SegaCD too).

oreelios

Mario 64

And Sonic Adventure 1 (even though I didn't get it at launch per se), just because I loved raising those cute little Chao so much. I tried to make one of each kind, though failed. I would even put one on my VMU and take it to school so I could feed it and stuff during the day. I am beyond nerdy :(

Mr Toast

Hmmm.

Out of:
Soul Calibur
Tekken Tag Tournament
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved

I'd have to say Soul Calibur. (Only bought DC, PS2, 360 at launch)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
oreelios said:
I am beyond nerdy :(

Dude, I sit at work and play DS in between teaching classes. I`m right up there with you.

Krowley

Jive Turkey said:
Really? Ah bummer...I could have sworn it was launch but maybe that's just because it became a pack-in (it was at least a pack-in right???)

I think so, but i'm not positive.

Jiggy

Launch date: Super Mario World*
Runner-up: Super Mario 64 DS (Yes. DS.)

Launch date plus launch window of one month: Super Smash Bros. Melee
Runner-up: Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX

*Assuming Tetris didn't launch with the GB. If it did, I'd have to give that a tie.

oreelios

TheTrin said:
Dude, I sit at work and play DS in between teaching classes. I`m right up there with you.

Strangely, picturing this in my head makes me feel better :) How old are your students?

maxmars

Infernal Monkey said:

So true! Props to you for bringing it out!

I understand that it's not a game with the mass appeal of Mario 64, but it's easily one of my favourite games ever. Certainly my most played and loved N64 game, up there with OoT.

I am eager to know if Zelda TP will change that.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Super Mario World and Super Mario 64. Soon Zelda Twilight Princess ^^.

Was Final Fantasy 2 US a launch SNES game? And Contra 3? Maybe not, but they certainly were 'launch window' so I'll vote for those.

Then it's Soul Calibur and Halo.

Zweisy1

This one is easy..

Super Mario World. Not only the best launch game but still the best platformer ever made.

Runner ups: F-Zero, Mario 64

Top Bottom