• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What is your favourite launchgame (any console)

p3tran

Banned
ferrarigaragebk6.jpg

2iu4.jpg

easily.

JayDubya

Banned
Mario 64.

SMW close second.

I think we can safely say that historically, most launch titles suck, and this gen is no exception. There's always at least one gem, though.

Super Mario World/FFII (FFII was at launch wasn't it or right next to launch I know I got FFII the christmas the SNES came out)

Though I'm thinking that may change when Twilight Princess and the Wii hit.

JayDubya

Banned
Shin Johnpv said:
Super Mario World/FFII (FFII was at launch wasn't it or right next to launch I know I got FFII the christmas the SNES came out)

Though I'm thinking that may change when Twilight Princess and the Wii hit.

I got a Super Nintendo for Christmas, and "FF2" was the only game I got with it. But it wasn't technically a launch title, since the system came out in August, and that game came out in November.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Didn't smash melee launch with GC? My nintendo-masturbating friend always tries to rile me with ps2 not having a better launch game than melee. Did it launch in any region?

bionic77

MGrant said:
Going from Atari to this was a ridiculous leap for me as a 10 year old.

I would put Mario64 up there as well as that game was also ridiculously ahead of its time.

Those are by far the best launch games I have played.

I will admit to loving Altered Beast, Halo, and Sonic Adventure 1 when those systems launched, but they were just not in the league of the mario1 and mario64.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
1990 was best Xmas ever!
No doubt I was a lucky 13y old boy:

F-ZERO with a brand new Super Famicom
(and in a couple of weeks Super Ghouls 'n Ghost and Super Mario World were also in my chubby little hands!)

It was so special, I'm sure nothing will ever compare, it holds a very special place in my heart because of the huge nostalgia attached to... beautiful memories :'-)

antiloop

Super Mario World and Super Mario 64.

I believe Zelda: A Link to the Past were a launchgame here too so I will add that.

jgkspsx

Graphics Horse said:
Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
Forgot that one. My GBA killer app, still one of my favorite games.

Super Mario Bros was only a launch game by dint of the more than two-year gap between JP and US launch. But, yeah, that too.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
A three way tie between Altered Beast, Super Mario World, and Mario 64.

Altered Beast may just be in there for nostalgia's sake, being it was the first console launch I participated in. I do however remember having quite a bit of fun with it and beating it over and over and over and over and over and... yeah...

Super Mario World. Man... I think the only game to ever beat this as a launch title is the next one on my list. But shit was this thing amazing. Truly unparalleled level design, gorgeous graphics, amazing sound, tons of little extras, polish to the max. This would probably be my favorite but....

Super Mario 64. To this day I don't think there is a launch title that compares. To plop down your $260 and walk away with this back in September 1996.... Hell, I think this took up all of September AND October. I never once questioned my N64 purchase, despite being my least played system of that gen. Mario 64 was quite honestly worth a $260 purchase all on its own.

That's really it. Zelda could enter/takeover here, but we'll have to see. Even if I were getting a PS3 I don't see anything that would come close. PS1/PS2, nothing. Sega Saturn, hell no. Dreamcast had lots of Soul Calibur, but still not on the same level. So yeah, those are my answers.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Halo is still the only launch game I've bought in my life that I still enjoy on a regular basis, but who am I kidding... Mario 64 is the best launch game, ever, period.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Tetris on Game Boy.

Or Super Mario 64. Both games kept me awake for two days straight upon arrival.

/Looking forward to 3-day Zelda:TP bender.

Top Bottom