• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Shenmue 3 would look like

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
People like to call Ocarina of Time outdated as well.

You know? The greatest game ever made.

OoT is outdated if you played any games in the last ten years you'd see how advanced 3d games have gotten. This be the same thing as saying Golden Eye or Perfect Dark is still the best shit ever in terms of the game itself.

Second part is opinion. I for the life of me can't label a game as best game ever made if it can't stand the test of time. Older sprite based games can cheat with this as sprite work and the limits of 2d game play works in their favor unlike the limitations of early 3d games.

Also this video has now convinced me to buy sleeping dogs :lol

Zezboob

Cool video :)

So like... is the fact it barely looks better than Shenmue which I played over 10 years ago supposed to be part of the joke?
I love Shenmue but.... are you high ?

I thought the Yakuza series was the spiritual successor to Shenmue.
Definitely not.

By the way Shenmue is way better, but it seems it's a secret since some people say the contrary. So don't be surprised and agree with them, it's part of the game

Rent-A-Hero combat. VF and Shenmue's combat share just about nothing.
Rent-A-Hero/Spike Out and Shenmue's combat don't share really anything too...

Assanova

I bought Yakuza 3 because people said it was like Shenmue. It was nothing like Shenmue, and it was incredibly boring. I'll definitely be looking into Sleeping Dogs after seeing this video, though.

How is saying Shenmue is a bad game controversial at all. Adventure games with awful pacing, terrible dialogue, dumb stories and an autistic protagonist tend to not be any good. Just because Yu Suzuki made some poor texture artist at Sega waste his life by detailing the inside of a drawer that literally only 8 people have ever seen doesn't add "personality" to an otherwise dull game.

People with taste know that Yakuza is an infinitely superior series.

OoT is outdated if you played any games in the last ten years you'd see how advanced 3d games have gotten. This be the same thing as saying Golden Eye or Perfect Dark is still the best shit ever in terms of the game itself.

Second part is opinion. I for the life of me can't label a game as best game ever made if it can't stand the test of time. Older sprite based games can cheat with this as sprite work and the limits of 2d game play works in their favor unlike the limitations of early 3d games.

Also this video has now convinced me to buy sleeping dogs :lol
but luckily enough for shenmue, it is an adventure game (a genre that hasn't progresed as quickly as the fps genre did) and it was already way ahead of its time during release.

the problem with shenmue is that nothing released to date has really contested it as a game. there are a probably a dozen games that contest goldeneye and oot, such as their sequels. i haven't played sleeping dogs, but reading this thread it sounds more like gta, and while yakuza comes kinda close it really doesn't compare that much.

Assanova

How is saying Shenmue is a bad game controversial at all. Adventure games with awful pacing, terrible dialogue, dumb stories and an autistic protagonist tend to not be any good. Just because Yu Suzuki made some poor texture artist at Sega waste his life by detailing the inside of a drawer that literally only 8 people have ever seen doesn't add "personality" to an otherwise dull game.

People with taste know that Yakuza is an infinitely superior series.

Prior to Shenmue, there just wasn't that high of a level of detail in games, and I can't recall any today that have that level of detail, off of the top of my head. The gameplay wasn't great, but the detail and ambiance draw you into it's world like no other game.

Riposte

When I'm playing with Batman Arkham Asylum-like combat systems, it certainly feels like a sequence of QTEs like the video shows.

V_Arnold

When I'm playing with Batman Arkham Asylum-like combat systems, it certainly feels like a sequence of QTEs like the video shows.

It is weird because when I am doing Arkham City high score runs in very hard, it does not feel like that at all.

alf717

Shenmue was always a game I wanted to try. How hard would it be to get into this game today? By this I mean price wise? From the sound of it this sounds like a cult classic title or a sleeper hit. Does it fetch a high price?

Sleeping dogs sounds like a fun game. No offense to those who love it but I'm going to wait for a sale before I bite.

heringer

Shenmue was always a game I wanted to try. How hard would it be to get into this game today? By this I mean price wise? From the sound of it this sounds like a cult classic title or a sleeper hit. Does it fetch a high price?

Sleeping dogs sounds like a fun game. No offense to those who love it but I'm going to wait for a sale before I bite.

The first game is easy to find, not expensive. The second one only released in Japan and Europe, so is quite rare/expensive. Unless you buy the XBox version, which has shitty VA.

ArjanN

Anyone know what happened to the Shenmue HD rumours? I really want to play both Shemue 1 and 2!

Considering SEGA's current digital strategy, I'd be really surprised if there isn't a Shenmue HD available in less than a year from now.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
"I found the mirror" haha.

I do get a bit of a Shenmue vibe from SD, but they are still very different games in many respects. Sleeping Dogs isn't going to cure anyone of Shenmue III syndrome, but it's a fantastic game nonetheless.

Sega should just team up with that company and plop Shenmue 3's story into it. Assets could be reused etc.

DocStar

Neo Member
This thread makes me so sad :(

Just listen to the music in the video ... it gives me goosebumps, even after all those years. Ohhh god, how I hate SEGA for not developing Shenmue 3 :/

I like how the guy from Sleeping Dogs is Chinese (I assume) but he can easily fit as an older Japanese Ryo Hazuki in China.

Ah racism. Where would we be without you?

Also :( Shenmue 3...

Anteater

This thread makes me so sad :(

Just listen to the music in the video ... it gives me goosebumps, even after all those years. Ohhh god, how I hate SEGA for not developing Shenmue 3 :/

Leave Sega alone, developing shenmue 3 can't possibly be good for them financially

zooL

it would be great if all the assets and engine could be used by yu zuzukis team to keep developing costs at a minimum and create shenmue 3 as some kind of "mod". why is this not done more often? it seems to me that everything is always redone all the time and then thrown away. but i guess this has to do with marketing new games or something...

Dennis

Banned
If a game like Sleeping Dogs can be made I honestly don't see how a Shenmue 3 could be an impossibility.

This is me - looking for sailors.

Is this a true representation of Hong Kong? If I play this game enough will I know be able to navigate the streets of the real life Hong Kong like I lived there my whole life?

Is this also true for Driver San Fransisco by the way?

ArjanN

it would be great if all the assets and engine could be used by yu zuzukis team to keep developing costs at a minimum and create shenmue 3 as some kind of "mod". why is this not done more often? it seems to me that everything is always redone all the time and then thrown away. but i guess this has to do with marketing new games or something...

For starters because it's hard to charge for a mod and you have to pay for licensing the engine.

Shenmue is also more of an adventure game than Sleeping Dogs which despite it's tighter focus is still more of a GTA clone.

I think SEGA could make a Shenmue game and make money on it as long as they kept the tech at the level of a Yakuza game. Probably wouldn't hurt to release HD versions of 1 and 2 first.

Top Bottom