• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What should DC do next to salvage DCEU? Fire Snyder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mods, please don't lock this. I know there's a little too many topics, but I feel this is worth discussing in a new thread. Anyways, what steps should DC go to salvage their universe? Snyder stay, finish JL movie? Curious to hear your thoughts. Snyder is really good at action and getting certain scenes to look like comic book panels on the big screen. Problem is characters, plot, pacing. :\

My thought process:
- Fire Snyder, push JCL 6-9 months forward. Replace with George Miller. Have him work on JCL movies from now on, primary director for these big movies.
- Leave Christopher Nolan alone and let him work on new IPs.
- Hire Jonathan Nolan and have him be DC's Fiege. Set up a real plan of where everything is going. Have him direct a movie as well. He's a fantastic writer, Person of Interest to me being one of the best written shows out there. Not to mention he's a co-writer in almost every movie his brother is. Many suggest Interstellar's ending of the first draft by him is better than what his brother eventually changed it to. ;) This guy is far more talented and smarter than Snyder, this is a new upcoming guy that you want to take your ship in the right direction.
- Fire Goyer, he shouldn't be writing big tier movies unless he's taking credit for Nolan Bros' work. Chris Terrio to get one more chance to write it all himself for JCL for example.
- Batman Trilogy. Already stated, but Battfleck to direct & star.
Dream is first movie being the Red Hood based, Jensen Ackles staring as the Red Hood & it being Rated R. It has to include that scene in detail. You know the one.
- Aquaman movie, directed by Guillermo Del Torro. Epic sea scenes incoming. His style in particular might really stand out here.
- Flash movie, directed by Mathew Vaughn. He directed the best Xmen movie for me, First Class. Would love for him to jump on the Flash.
- Cyborg movie, directed by Ryan Coogler. This guy made an amazing continuation to Rocky named Creed. I heard his last movie Fruitville Station was fantastic as well. He will be directing Black Panther, and I'm hoping he can make Cyborg relevant because I don't care for him. :\

Summary of my view: Fire Snyder, fire Goyer, Give Terrio another shot, push JCL 6-9 months later, leave Christopher Nolan alone, hire Jonathan Nolan to set a real plan for this movies like Marvel, have him direct one of the future movies, George Miller to direct JCL, Affleck to direct Batman trilogy, Guillermo Del Torro to direct Aquaman, Mathew Vaughn to direct the Flash, Ryan Coogler to direct Cyborg.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
It's not like the movie tanked or anything.
Why would they change director. As far as business is concerned, the movie is doing what it was supposed to do.
I know we all care about the quality of a movie (though subjective as that may be), but critical opinion means nothing when it comes to big budget movies like this. Heck critic opinion means nothing when it comes to the quality of a movie in the long term either, most of the time.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Taking the massive stick out of their ass would be a great start.

But then get the people running DCTV to handle the movies, because those people *get it*.

massoluk

Banned
I wish they will. Snyder clearly doesn't understand what make Superman and Batman two of the most popular comic book characters.

But then again, I wish people would stop giving Michael Bay's jobs.

Yo OP, you haven't even seen the movie yet.

https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=199099054&highlight=#post199099054

At least wait until you've seen it and decided you hated it and the direction Snyder took before you start a thread like this.
I'm basing this off some interviews I've been reading of him recently, not really a fan of what his take. I already watched MoS and don't want him in charge. Me going with low expectations on IMAX on Tuesday though.

The whole disagreement with Nolan in regards to MoS's ending, DBZ fights for 30 minutes with 0 breaks and the biggest sin of all:
jonathantornado.gif

I'd be legit stunned if this film doesn't make WB a profit, even if it's not as big as projected

It needs to be as big as projected, they'll settle for nothing less. Even that may not save Snyder. They're building a massive franchise here, Snyder and Goyer may be indelibly stained by the early reviews. I think much will depend on what audiences make of it.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
the groundwork has been laid, too much money invested, there's no choice but to ride the blazing train until the glorious end

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Most of the problems with this movie seem to stem from the story/plot, that it was too boring or incoherent. People say the movie is gorgeous and looks good. But lacks substance, and is a weird take on superheros. I thought Terrio wrote the movie, and he's writing Justice League. Surely they're more likely to fire Terrio.

Patryn

They need to wait and see what the audience score is and, most importantly, what the drop for the second weekend is.

First weekend doesn't say much. Second weekend will tell the story of the film's success or failure.

Wait for mass audiences to let their feelings be known first before any course correction. This is premature. Nothing needs to be necessarily salvaged yet.

JCX

Either film a live action version of the animated movies or give me a big screen Arrowverse team up movie.

Bring in the one character that will (probably not) shake the world for his own movie.

ec0.gif

Also starring a Latina former detective with a hidden heart of gold.

Nolan doesn't give a damn about superheroes, that should be obvious by now, He also sure as fuck doesn't want to be bogged down in a cinematic universe instead of pursuing pet projects.

WB has imo tthree options they could do here:

Delay the JL film for a bit, and end it with a massive time travel recon ala Days of Future Past so they can start fresh.

Cut their losses entirely. Postpone/cancel JL, continue with SS/WW but only give them the bare minimum of support. Try to start fresh in 5-10 years.

Triple down and stay the course with Snyder directing JL..

It's too early to even start talking about this before we know how much money BvS makes. Bad reviews mean nothing.

If the film is legitimately bad though, there will be no legs and people won't care about a sequel or expanded universe films.

icespide

Banned
Where did this number come from?

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/wb-batman-v-superman-faces-high-expectations-1201729887/

With a production cost of at least $250 million and added global marketing costs easily topping $150 million, the movie would have to gross $800 million to recoup its investment, if it were reliant just on box office (though the film will also benefit from substantial TV, merchandising and other receipts). Studio insiders consider the $800 million figure inflated.

Current tracking suggests a robust opening of at least $120 million-$140 million when the movie launches on about 4,000 screens in the U.S. One media analyst, who asked not to be named, said that given the costs and need to launch a series of future films, “anything under $1 billion in worldwide box office will be a disappointment.”

hal9001

Banned
Or continue how they are dong it now?

Some people like Snyder and this universe you know.

Not everyone hates the film.

Abounder

Banned
Commit to Suicide Squad or just damn the ratings ala Bayformers (lol)

Or if I can dream big - Mad Max crossover hell yea. Oscars!

Solo

No studio exec who fancies his job is greenlighting a summer tentpole with Jensen Ackles as a co-lead.

Ushay

depends on the 2nd weekend drop and if the movie has legs. this thing needs to make 800mil WW to break even

I think it will regardless of deflating hype. Most people will see BvS on poster, ignore reviews and just go out to watch it.

Having legs may be important as you say for those that may watch it a second time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom