• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What stage of grief are you in right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love America no matter who the President is.

I didn't agree with a lot of Obama's policies but I still respected him as our leader. America is more about the citizens that make up our country than it is about who's in charge at the present time.

DrSlek

Went through stage 1 & 2 this morning. Skipped stage 3 as I'm an Australian and having nothing to bargain with. Have just entered into stage 5, and am currently trying to look at how things unfolded, and what could have been done differently.

george_us

Halfway between depression and acceptance. I don't think I'll ever fully get to acceptance honestly. Just too stunned and will be for years.

Acceptance. I'm going to use this to be my motivation, I'm going to try to get into the system: even if it's just volunteering for dems. I'm going to do whatever I can do promote progressive values and intellectualism. I'm going to make sure to vote in the mid terms, and do what I can to make the best of these 4 years. I'm a straight, white/Hispanic male with a drive. I hope those who are also in my situation don't let this get them down. It is time to rally, for those who do not get the privelege we were born into.

This is America, and I do not want Trump's America- but here we are, and I will not stand for my fellow Americans suffering for the color of their skin, the god they believe in, or the gender and sexuality they identify with. This is my motivation.

Not

Banned
It's the same shit it always is. Terrible piece of shit humans use Trump as a scapegoat for their hate crimes. Same thing that happened when people used BLM's anti-police message to shoot cops in Texas.

Point is, this type of garbage hatred isn't unique to Trump or this situation. These people exist and will use whatever guise they can for their hatred.

Well MAYBE STOP GIVING THEM A GUISE ALL THE TIME

Edit: OK, it's definitely anger

Between four and five.

Just thinking about how Trump isn't going to be able to fulfill any promise he made to dumbasses in rural America is my silver lining, that I shouldn't really feel good about. The damage will be done and I'm really unhappy though. My biggest issue is the Scotus nominations.

Lime

No one should ever, ever enter stage 5 as in normalizing the state of affairs. Never accept this outcome and this state of the world as being the new normal.

Jobbs

Banned
I love America no matter who the President is.

I didn't agree with a lot of Obama's policies but I still respected him as our leader. America is more about the citizens that make up our country than it is about who's in charge at the present time.

I don't. Nothing deserves my love just for existing unless it's my own child -- And I don't have a child

And please please stop equating republicans reaction to Obama (one way or another) to what liberal reactions to Trump are or should be. Obama was a class act and conducted himself with dignity. He didn't act like a clown and talk about grabbing pussies and he wasn't profane and vile and hateful and bigoted and racist. I'm sorry, but if this is a simple partisan issue then one party is simply completely immoral. I was hoping it wasn't a partisan issue and republicans would be offended by this fucking freak too, but I'm learning ever increasingly that I was wrong.

I think five, I process grief fairly quickly.

I think the important thing to note is that even with an unprecedented Trump surge, popular support is still mostly with the democrats. Work needs to be done, I think the whole party needs a kick in the ass, but rebuilding is possible.

george_us

Every time I see the phrase "Trump elected" or "President Trump" it still feels like some kind of cartoon or joke, so I'm having trouble accepting that it's real life. I know what you mean
The words "President" and "Trump" together fill me with a pain and sadness I've never known before.

This shit still doesn't feel real. Feels like I woke up in the Flashpoint Paradox or something.

Between denial and anger.

Denial in the sense that it is still hard to grasp we elected fucking Trump. I don't have many expectations for people, but holy fucking shit.

Anger in the sense that Clinton and the DNC blew the 3 to 1 lead in the Finals.

This plus depression (4).

Then slip back to sad shock.

Someone posted the old Robin Williams fukitol drug skit which made me laugh at least.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBb5v1sJhuU

I don't know why but I feel slightly responsible as if I could have changed the tide. Then I suddenly remember that much more powerful and influential people than me couldn't stop it and that they are in the same boat as well.

What a strange feeling. What is that?

jerry113

Banned
We need to mobilize in 2018 for the general elections. There can be no acceptance stage, only mental preparation for what we need to do in 2018.

And please please stop equating republicans reaction to Obama (one way or another) to what liberal reactions to Trump are or should be. Obama was a class act and conducted himself with dignity. He didn't act like a clown and talk about grabbing pussies and he wasn't profane and vile and hateful and bigoted and racist. I'm sorry, but if this is a simple partisan issue then one party is simply completely immoral. I was hoping it wasn't a partisan issue and republicans would be offended by this fucking freak too, but I'm learning ever increasingly that I was wrong.

This.
Equating them is crazy.

Speely

Banned
I'm going to be in the anger phase for a while. I don't see a way past it, since the source of grief will keep giving and giving.

Sorta angry, but more than anything else inspired and invigorated to get more politically engaged and active.

I'll be damned if I sit by and watch bigots, racists, homophobes, xenophobes and misogynists have their way.

We're gonna correct this setback.

I'm dealing with multiple stages in real life, not affected by politics.

I think that comparing human grief to Donald Trump winning is pretty ignorant, to be honest.

Sorta angry, but more than anything else inspired and invigorated to get more politically engaged and active.

I'll be damned if I sit by and watch bigots, racists, homophobes, xenophobes and misogynists have their way.

We're gonna correct this setback.

What killed me last night was watching the smugness as they get their way and possibly watching the wheels turning at that exact moment on how they are going to cause more misfortune and/or indifference towards minorities.

A good bit of anger, though I'm getting to "acceptance" in the sense that instead of just being upset, start thinking about where we go from here and what I can do.

YaBish

I've got too much shit going on in my personal life, so I had to come to grips with it all very quickly.

I've accepted it. I'm not happy about it, and I'm going to do all that's in my power to make 2018 happen for the Dems, and then on to 2020.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I alternate between denial and depression. At some point around like 3am I removed CNN from my channel guide, unfollowed probably a good fourth of my friend list on Facebook and just made a general decision to unplug from media and my Trump-loving friends and family for abit. I drank myself into a stupor, slept for all of 3 hours, and still have the tail-end of a hangover. I convinced myself to watch her concession speech, which made me think of my daughter, cried, and generally resented my dirty liberal heart for abit.

I don't know. I try to take solace in the fact that probably 90% of the insane shit he said to get elected won't come to fruition through a combination of checks and balances, things that he doesn't realize are outside Presidential powers, and hopefully a few remaining decent politicians across both aisles.

entremet

Acceptance. I hit a few weeks ago when I sensed a Trump win.

I voted for Hillary even though I thought she was a poor candidate, but I feel really bad for her. She was obviously devastated and I thought was a good woman despite some of her flaws.

She's a very industrious person that cares a lot of for serving our country. She just lacked the ability to connect and ran a poor campaign.

I'm more sad for those without voices honestly now.

Sydle

Anger, bargaining, and acceptance I guess?

I'm surprised and angry at the folks who are coming out of the woodwork championing some horrible shit I didn't think they were capable of. I'm seeing people I grew up with celebrating inequality. They're gone from my life for good.

I'm bargaining and taking solace in the information that suggests he won't be able to fully realize a lot of his ideas, but I realize he'll still be able to do some damage in terms of setting us back in terms of progress made in equality. Maybe his deplorable base will turn on him once they see he's mostly ineffective in delivering what they were promised.

I'm also trying to learn what I can do now to become more politically active and hopefully turn out more decent people to vote for the midterms and in 2020.

Omadahl

Banned
Full blown depression. I didn't eat today and I didn't sleep last night. Every student in my school was silent today except those that were crying because they are worried their family will be deported. How am I supposed to tell a 5 year-old that it's going to be okay and their family is wanted here when we elect that piece of shit? I feel powerless.

Acceptance. There's not a lot that can be done until we have a better idea of what Trump is planning to do. And I'm not even sure Trump knows that right now.

I'm around 3/4

I would get sad thinking about my friends and family that are in fear. Also been bargaining all day.

"Maybe he will turn it around. He will be debriefed on how the world really is and all the shit we haven't heard, and he will sober the fuck up. He will realize this is some serious shit. This isn't just about the US of A you are under the watchful eye of the entire world. Where words can influence the minds of millions and effect the way the world sees your country."

denial. denail

I vacillate between 4 and 5. I am suppressing as much as I can, especially since I work in fin tech and my management team is already ecstatic about Hillary losing (going to be real hard not to get fired at drinks tomorrow evening).

I think I am at the point of being disappointed and just giving up. I cant change anything that has happened, I know things are going to get dramatically worse for things/people I care about and I cant do anything about it. I am becoming emotionally numb.

EDIT: Wait, there might be a little bargaining in there: he has always been a democrat and when asked years ago about running said he was only going to run as a republican because those people are idiots and will believe anything. While I know it will never happen, I would be ecstatic if he turns out to be at least a moderate. His 100 day plan leaves little doubt that that scenario is a pipe dream.

.JayZii

Banned
Acceptance.

I have had a few moments where I just felt detached from reality today, though. Not denial, more like a numb, out-of-body sort of experience. Maybe it's still depression, then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom