• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What stage of grief are you in right now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

G0523

What we as a nation have endured is a tragedy ever since last night. There are normally 5 stages of grief when dealing with a tragedy:

1.) Denial
2.) Anger
3.) Bargaining
4.) Depression
5.) Acceptance

You can always bounce from one to the other but you will likely end up at the acceptance stage sooner or later.

Due to recent events, I imagine most of us are going through this right now. Personally, I'm around stage 3: bargaining, but I keep bouncing around to anger and depression. I don't see myself coming to stage 5: acceptance anytime soon but we'll see.

NOTE: If you are seriously needing psychological or mental help, or are having long depressive or suicidal thoughts, these may be more serious than the normal 5 stages of grief. But there are plenty of options to help you through it such as Suicide Prevention Hotlines (1-800-273-8255) and therapists that your general practitioner can recommend you.

Is it possible to feel the first four all at once?

Because that.

I'm honestly a fucking mess. I've been bouncing back and forth between various stages of panic and fear all fucking day and I seriously can't do this shit anymore.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Between denial and anger.

Denial in the sense that it is still hard to grasp we elected fucking Trump. I don't have many expectations for people, but holy fucking shit.

Anger in the sense that Clinton and the DNC blew the 3 to 1 lead in the Finals.

Dishwalla

Banned
acceptance to be honest. it fucking sucks and we must fight through and change this in a few years. meanwhile pray the collateral damage is kept to a minimum.

Almighty

Anger and I don't see that changing for a long time.

Depression will probably hit once they start nominating who ever they pick for SCOTUS and rolling out their foolish economic policies.

Damaniel

Banned
Mostly acceptance, but still depressed over what a Trump Presidency combined with a Republican Congress and Supreme Court will bring us over the next few years.

(Sadly, my acceptance apparently makes me an enabler of hate because I stated the futility of the anti-Trump protests in the protest thread as a way to change the situation rather than a way to blow off steam.)

Mattenth

Posted in the other thread but will repost here too.

I'm angry at the Democrats.

This was their election to lose, and they blew it.

All I feel about this election now is anger, and I am just so fucking furious. I warned this would happen with childish rants that I now wish were more mature.

Democrats chose the 2nd most disliked candidate in history as their nominee and thought they could win. It's just so fucking arrogant, and that's what's so sad.

I just don't understand where this relentless loyalty for Hillary came from. It's as if the left forgot that they owe their allegiance to the American people, not their party elite.

At a time when the country needed unity, Democrats put forward someone that 50% of the country hated.

When the nation was feeling huge anti-establishment waves of passion, the left nominated an embodiment of establishment.

Whilst making an appeal as the moral superiors, the DNC was caught cheating, and then appointing a replacement cheater.

And yes, it was Democrats that elected someone who was the subject of an ongoing FBI investigation.

I get it: Trump's worse. I was an enthusiastic Bernie supporter who did vote for Hillary in the end. I encouraged my friends and family in Texas to vote for Hillary, and I'm sure many of them did. I wish I'd done more. I wish I'd acted sooner.

But for today, I'm mad at the Democrats. I'm mad that they didn't put forward a stronger candidate.

I'm mad that they're so fucking arrogant and yet continue to not grapple with these lessons: You can't win with a candidate that half the country hates. You can't appeal to the "high road" when your party is caught taking the "low road."

To win in 2020, Democrats need to get away from any "established" candidates. They need to nominate someone with a pristine, high-integrity record that can lead the entire country, not just the left. But that person needs to be free of any Fox News propaganda.

Hate to pull an "I told you so" in HillGaf land but...

But honestly, I hope you guys listen to your friends/family/coworkers when they raise these issues. Fucking acknowledge that this is more than "right wing propaganda" because it's not. Hillary's opponents are going to say "she consistently lies," and you need a better response than "lol whatever."

. . .

The whole "haha, whatever, we'll win without you" tone is the way you gamble a Donald Trump presidency.

Trouble

Banned
I jumped straight to 4 (Depression) as soon as WI was called for Trump last night by Fox News. I'll be here for the next 4 years, most likely.

I can't be and don't want to be angry. Anger is what got us here.

I just feel sad and empty inside.

Actually did anyone experience bargaining?

Feel like everyone skips that step because we're all just accepting the worst of it

BFIB

Eh, I'm already in acceptance. Just because he won, doesn't mean that the fight is lost. There is still a lot of forward progress that Obama brought this country, and we cannot lose sight of that. The fight is more important than ever.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
3, i'm still contemplating idiotic theories about the EC.

Acceptance. Progressives and Liberals need to get out there and protest as much as possible. Need gridlock in the senate and house. Democrats should not put their names on a single piece of Republican legislation for "compromise" because it'll be horseshit and when it comes back to bite them they'll say "both sides". Republicans want all three branches of government? Let them fucking own the entire thing.

Democrats will not be rewarded for playing nice. They never have and never will.

I'm in the "puzzled by people who are genuinely distraught that a career politician lost an election" stage. I would have preferred her too, but Christ, stop bellyaching and deal with the hand you're dealt.

cr0w

Old Member
Where's the 'Refuse to believe NeoGAF isn't the real world' option so many people seem to fall under?

ryseing

I was at bargaining.

"Maybe he won't be so bad! He lied his entire campaign- maybe he lied about what he will actually do! Maybe he'll surround himself with smart people!"

Then I heard Gingrich was his likely SecState choice. Now I'm back at anger.

I'm in the "puzzled by people who are genuinely distraught that a career politician lost an election" stage. I would have preferred her too, but Christ, stop bellyaching and deal with the hand you're dealt.

Tell that to all of the people being posted about in this thread.

"Oh, you were threatened for being black? Stop your bellyaching and get over it."

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Depressed. I can tell I'm not in the acceptance phase because I'm still saying to myself "is this really happening?"

Kimawolf

I went through all five but now im back at anger. These racist people are emboldened, people are scared, getting hurt. I may be lucky because i'm a 6'0 230lb black guy in moderate shape and look like i'm just not very nice half the time (work keeps me thinking).

but i would wish the wrath I will reign down on anyone who insults my daughter like some of the people are going through in the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom