• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was the PS1 game with the overall best graphics?

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
Suikoden 2 was the prettiest 2D game

This is the correct answer for sprite based games. Suikoden has maybe the most beautiful sprites ever made. The sheer variety and number of animations in the sprites is astounding. Some amazing artwork in that game.

Kientin

Might have been the first game that used motion capture:

tobal2dance9kxyy.gif

1997, people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN6srN0wooc

Yes, Tobal is quite good.

Eylos

Banned
This is the correct answer for sprite based games. Suikoden has maybe the most beautiful sprites ever made. The sheer variety and number of animations in the sprites is astounding. Some amazing artwork in that game.

i agree with you two

Ahasverus

Soul Reaver though. Open world with zero load times after the initial one, dynamic environment and light sources, high poly bosses.

rjc571

Banned
Crash bandicoot 2 had the best graphics

It was like the only game that really wowed me back then on playstation

Indeed, it was the first 3D game to make me feel like I was playing an interactive cartoon.

I think what floored me the most was the ice reflections in the snow levels.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
The titles that stand out to me the most are:

3D:

Tobal 2- This was absolutely insane in 1997. The high resolution and silky-smooth 60 FPS made this game look and animated so much better than all the other 3D fighters out at the time. A lot of people are going to cite Tekken 3, but this was a way more impressive game. Shame it never came Stateside.
tobal2-h1.png

Slap Happy Rhythm Busters- This cel-shaded 2.5D fighting game had some awesome character design and a fun dance game-like finishing mechanic. Looked really good at the time.
slaphappy-9.png

Vagrant Story- I didn't play this very much -wasn't for me- but it was an absolute head-turner when it first came out
Vs-ashleywyvern.jpg

Bust-A-Move(Groove) Dance And Rhythm Action: Probably not the best of screen-shots, but this motion-captured dance battle game was amazing when it came out. I couldn't get enough of it and its sequel.
Bust+a+Groove.jpg

Ridge Racer Type 4: A lot of people might go for Gran Turismo over this, but the night stages in this game were really awesome.
r4-ridge-racer-type-4-image994700.jpg

Metal Gear Solid: Had absolutely stunning presentation at the time.
MGS_screen_psx.jpg

2D:

Street Fighter Alpha 3: This was the first time that Capcom ported a new fighting game to the PS1 only and not to the Saturn as well. Of course, that would change later -the game made it to the Dreamcast and then the Saturn after a period of exclusivity- but this port, while certainly not perfect, was such a step up from previous ports that I didn't really miss the near-arcade perfection on the Saturn. They also added some extra effects.
playstation-41874-31329608309.jpg

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special: Dominated Mind: This was a PS1-exclusive 'upgrade' to Real Bout Special. SNK changed the game up, ditching the line-sway system, which in turn allowed for more animation in the sprites and added animation in the backgrounds, not found in the original Neo-Geo version.
realboutspecial-dominatedmind-screen4.png

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: This game had pretty much static backgrounds, but was still pretty impressive and was the PS1's only CPS3 port. Like SFA3, it had extra effects not found in the arcade version, IIRC.
playstation-31529-41312673624.jpg

Castlevania Symphony Of The Night: This game re-uses assets from the 16-bit Rondo Of Blood, but the huge stage areas and amounts of enemies in them were pretty impressive at the time.
51897-Castlevania_-_Symphony_of_the_Night_%28E%29-7.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I may be the only one who thinks Vagrant Story looks terrible.

Legend of Mana, however? That still looks good.

UrbanRats

2D games had the edge for obvious reason, but yeah, Vagrant Story looks absolutely mind blowing, and i didn't even play it when it came out.

Caronte

Any game not using prerendered backgrounds should be automatically disqualified.

So Final Fantasy VIII and IX and Resident Evil 2 and 3.

GunBR

Vagrant Story looked incredible at time and it's a great answer
But I remember how my jaw dropped when I played Legend of Mana for the first time

71-072.gif

6-044.gif

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Tobal 2, and it's not especially close.

Yeah, I'd say it's easily the #1 pick for best graphics on the system. I remember it came out at the same time as the Japanese Starfox 64. At the shop I worked at, people came for import Starfox copies and then stopped and stared at Tobal 2...and were shocked that this was on the Playstation and not the N64. It looked so much sharper and cleaner than any N64 game out at the time, and that framerate...holy shit it was just so awesome, lol.

Bog

Junior Ace
Yeah, I'd say it's easily the #1 pick for best graphics on the system. I remember it came out at the same time as the Japanese Starfox 64. At the shop I worked at, people came for import Starfox copies and then stopped and stared at Tobal 2...and were shocked that this was on the Playstation and not the N64. It looked so much sharper and cleaner than any N64 game out at the time, and that framerate...holy shit it was just so awesome, lol.

Yep. The stills don't do it justice. It was so damn smooth in motion.

MilkBeard

FFIX without any doubts. It could be confused for an early PS2 game.

Dino Crisis 2 was pretty outstanding too.
Not to nitpick, but there's no way you could mistake it for an early PS2 game. The 3d models and battle maps are a dead giveaway.

Sure, the backgrounds were great, but many PSX games has nice prerendered backgrounds.

westman

Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross. That's based on the end result, not whether the technologies used (i.e. lots of prerendering) were advanced/impressive.

Trogdor1123

Did tobal 2 have the story version that the first one did? I remember playing it and living it even though I sucked. Can't remember the goal.

CamHostage

Nice pull! Terracon was amazing end-of-the-generation technology (from a team fronted by the guys who did Die Hard PSX, it's a shame their PS2 projects didn't pan out,) wish it had come to PSN globally as it was easy to miss.
terracon_ps1-00004828-low.jpg

The 60fps game Invasion From Beyond is also little-mentioned and looked weirdly captivating to me (though the draw distance admittedly sucks.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-h8DLe2TC4

Psygnosis' 2D/3D hybrid Attack of the Saucermen is also something people should look at for PSX experimentation. Probably didn't fit in totally with the "overall best graphics", but after you see Tobal 2, you've got to have something else to talk about...
hqdefault.jpg

Some damn good choices in this thread.

Here's my personal list:

FF9
Tekken 3
Vagrant story
RR type 4
Grand Turismo 2
Quake 2
Wipeout 3
Crash bandicoot 2, but 3 takes the cake visually, imho.
Soul reaver
Omega boost

For me it was Soul Reaver. Not only did it look great at the time, but you could instantly switch between two worlds. That blew my mind back then. There was no other game on PS1 that matched this feeling.

OvBC2di.gif

Gif is probably from the dreamcast version, but you get the idea.

This along with FFVIII and FFIX was the high point that I remember. Man, that world shifting really was something special.

Top Bottom