• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was wrong with Resident Evil 5?

Because of this thread I replayed the first 3 hours of RE5 and then (after a fortuitous moment I found my presumed to be long lost PS2) the first 3 hours of RE4 to compare them.

Wow. Playing them back to back is quite a stark difference.

The first thing I you notice is the pacing. 5 just keeps pushing you forward, and forward and forward, and you never have any room to breath. 4 on the other hand gives you a lot more sections of quiet, and the connected village hub is a much more believable--and sinister--world than the 'tour of Africa as a series of corridors'. I did like the very start of 5 though as you are walking around the town before shit has hit the fan and you see a bunch of creepy ass things like a group of guys beating the shit out of someone, or something, tied up in a sack.

However, while 5 moves at a much faster clip, and introduces enemies much faster (in the first 3 hours of RE5 I've fought: various majini, fat majini, the executioner, dogs, two brands of parasites that pop out of majini, a tentacle monster, and the chainsaw guy. In 4 you fight various ganados, one parasite, chainsaw guy, and Del Lago.) However, despite that, RE4 makes much better use of it's scenarios (not to mention it's a much longer game and can take its time introducing things). Overall though, 5 is still pretty impressive for how many different scenarios it has in such a short span of time (even if it doesn't best 4).

For example, there are decent stretches in 5 that don't really provide any twist on the combat or level design whatsoever, or there are repetitious scenarios. In one area in the first chapter (the shipping crates by the water) the game introduces trip bombs, a maze like level design, verticality with crossbow snipers up top, and the dog enemies all in one go. It's a well designed area, and quite fun. But then, shortly after at the beginning of chapter 2, the game essentially repeats this with the train yard. It has the exact same elements except for the small tweak that the dogs can surprise you from under the trains. Again, it's a well designed area but having two of the same (very specific) thing is not necessary, especially when the game is so short. 4 rarely, if ever, repeats its set-ups in the same way twice.

Also, directly comparing scenarios that 5 lifts from 4 does it no favors either, because it doesn't improve on them, let alone even match the ones from 4. Take the opening village/executioner onslaughts: 4 is much, much harder and more tense. 5 provides a much safer feeling from the get go: you are in a defensible position, with ample barricades and supplies. Sure, it doesn't last, but compare that to RE4: in 4, when you go to the defensible house and barricade the door, the game actually escalates the tension by introducing the chainsaw guy, who is a one hit kill enemy (and much faster than the executioner).

The level desing in 4's village is much better as well, as every defensible seeming position has some vital flaw (house brings Salvador, if you go in the tower they will smoke you out, the house across the way has a locked door that simply leads to a dead end, etc), so you are constantly scrambling and engaging in the wide open center in between mad dashes to buildings. In 5, the level design goes much easier on you by providing two things: tons of explosive barrels, and no dead ends. It goes even further than simply taking away dead ends, by actually having 3 structures in the center of the map that you can simply hop between in an almost endless loop, quickly outpacing your pursuers.

And of course, 5 has Sheva, who will provide fire, heal you, and revive you, stripping away even more vestiges of tension. I still really like the execution onslaught level of 5, but it just pales in comparison to the village.

Another good comparison of the two stages, are how they handle the introduction of the sniper rifles. In 4, you are in a giant canyon area where you can pick off some enemies in high places, or blast them off the rope bridge sending them plummeting to their deaths, all while juggling a stream of ganados that come ever nearer. It's really rewarding, and well designed. In 5, it introduces the sniper by having you take cover behind a wall as you try and take out a guy on a turret. It's incredibly obnoxious, generic, and works actively against everything that is so brilliant about RE4/5's combat system.

Other observations/comparisons:

-4 is much better at little storytelling touches. For example it builds up the El Gigante fight by having you walk through the pen during the day time and you can hear something pounding on the giant doors. Then later you get a note about the El Gigante, and It's not until night time that you actually fight it. 5 has little build up or attention to detail in things like this.

-I think the ganado's might be harder/smarter than the majini. When the ganados are in a crowd they will really quickly circle you, and they dodge and duck out of your laser sight a lot. Majini either don't dodge, or really rarely do it, and they run straight at you a lot more.

-In 5 I've gotten a lot less ammo than 4, actually. But 5 you have a partner full of ammo, too so that mitigates it. Also, 4 is just plain harder. I only died twice in the first 3 hours but every encounter leaves me with little health.

-The sound design of 4 is much better, and really adds to the atmosphere. The wind howling, the crows cawing, the really memorable Ganado runts ("Lord Saddlerrrrr...."), add so much texture to the world. Not to mention the music is better. There are some scary ass tracks that play when you are engaging the ganados.

-There are some really weird typewriter placements in 4. Some come right after a chapter save, or right before.

-Wiseass Leon is so much more entertaining than mopey Chris. I love all the humor in 4.

-5 is still fun in singleplayer, but the fact that it was designed around co-op really hurts it because Sheva adds NOTHING to the game in singleplayer, and she's just an annoying entity you have to worry about/manage. The game is amazing in co-op though.

-What I really missed in 4 that was added in 5: quick weapon change. It keeps the pace of combat up a lot better.

-What I surprisingly didn't miss: Added melee moves of 5. I dunno, I like the more simple loop of 4, and there's added satisfaction and tension of knifing a ganado on the ground as more enemies come closer that is simply removed when you can just stomp them with invincibility frames. Also, while the mini map in 5 can be handy, I hate how it shows the position of bosses and enemies like the chainsaw guys; way to kill the tension of not knowing exactly where they are.

O.DOGG

It is one of the best coop games I ever played. So much fun with friends and with randoms online. I loved the action, the weapons. Some of the locations were a bit meh but the game is solid fun. I hope they port it the multiplayer to Steam before GFWL finally croaks.

boltz

RE5 was my first RE game that I played through as opposed to watching someone else play. From a general gaming perspective, it was a decent game, overall felt like a slog because of the boss fights and bland environments. I hated the boss fights as they were tedious and consisted of me playing them over and over again until I got the right sequence of actions performed correctly.

I played through it once and haven't touched it again.

it was great fun.

one of the few games I platinum'd.

resident evil 4 is great too, but i like re5 more due to coop nature, and specially because wind of madness is awesome.

TokiDoki

It's not a bad game , its solid but lacking atmosphere and memorable set pieces/enemies/characters/bosses . Its a very bad Resident Evil game .

televator

Nothing. It's a fantastic game. More so than Resident Evil 4 which is overrated.

First post bombed.

Anyway, RE5 was not much of a horror game. It was a zombie gore action game. RE4 may have started the trend toward action buuuuuuuut....

RE4Regenerator.png

...there was definitely horror in it.

Also RE5s real time inventory was a deal breaker for me.

nsignific

Banned
I thought it was unplayable, personally.

The controls were completely broken, more so than previous RE games which sucked in that regard as well, but were at least playable.

What did people find annoying about the AI, exactly? Not just "it sucks" but actual details in how it screwed up.

Because i played the game a lot in single player and had no real problems other than their wasting ammo (which was easily solved by only giving them a pistol and manage their ammo occasionally).

I played it on pc. Maybe they improved the ai code in the six months between the console and pc release. The ai was actually pretty helpful in my experience.

kd-z

Resident Evil 5 got worse and worse the further the story went. I didn't like the swamp or the ancient ruins.

Co-op was very, very good, though.

I liked Resident Evil 6 much more.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I thought it was unplayable, personally.

The controls were completely broken, more so than previous RE games which sucked in that regard as well, but were at least playable.

It's pretty obviously playable, seeing as millions have played it. Unless you have some type of deformity, I don't think unplayable is the correct term.

RE5 was a fun co-op action game. Co-op and action are not things fans of RE expected or, dare I say, wanted.

All the elements of RE4 were there, the control system, the weapon upgrading and unlocking, the basic combat mechanics. But it was kind of decidedly un-RE. It'd be like if New Super Mario Bros. U 2 was announced and it's a 2d platformer, but it's a six-stage score attack game instead of what you're expecting.

Ninjimbo

I would go back to RE5 and see how it holds up, but after playing so much RE6, it just wouldn't feel right. RE6 completely blows both RE4 and RE5 away in the combat department. I need my characters to run and flying kick whatever is in their way.

Visvarupa

Neo Member
sadly i came around playing long after its release so i never got to experience coop. the main issue people had was that Sheva was useless and to only equip her with the electrical baton...however when i realized you could replay levels and collect ammo it became an obsession to replay and collect. Then i would play the new level with Sheva packing fully. it felt good, seeing her blasting away. So yeah, far from a bad game but i do agree that it strayed even more from that RE essence. more night time levels would have helped, at a farm or something.

ditto on the boulder punching being the best part. They are fighting freak zombie terrorists, you would imagine STARS is starting to use steroids and PEDs with their agents to even the playing field. look at those biceps.

Astral Dog

The problem is that it felt like a carbón copy of RE 4, trying to do the same without the things that made RE4 a great game,a good example would be the El Gigante fight,in RE4 you fight him,carefully avoiding his attacks and shooting him,it even has a nice distraction with the dog,in RE5 he just stays there and you kill him with a stupid torrent, other bosses dont have the unique design of the previous game either,feeling more bland as they are just a mass of tentacles.

RE 5 was also a very dissapointing story imo, with Wesker stupid motivation that had nothing to do with the previous games, and an overall bland story that takes itself too seriously.

The game has some strong environments,not as good as 4 but some were gorgeous,unfortunately,it feels less like an horror game and more a straight shooter,

I wont say more as its been awhile since i played it, but RE5 was a total dissapointment to me,coming from one of the best videogames ever made,still its not a bad game and feels more polished than 6, that game had some good ideas but terrible execution.

What did people find annoying about the AI, exactly? Not just "it sucks" but actual details in how it screwed up.

Because i played the game a lot in single player and had no real problems other than their wasting ammo (which was easily solved by only giving them a pistol and manage their ammo occasionally).

I played it on pc. Maybe they improved the ai code in the six months between the console and pc release. The ai was actually pretty helpful in my experience.

I can't speak for others, but I simply hate having to deal with AI companions, no matter how capable they are. Ashley is way less annoying in this regard in that her AI is much simpler. She stays behind you at all times and will never try to make herself a part of the action, which means she mainly just acts as a second health bar/way to fail. She's only around a small part of the time. And for a lot of the fights you have when she is around, you can just tell her to hide or wait and she plays no real part in the battle.

"Zombies" with AKs.

Co-op campaign is dumb fun but that's it.

Co-op Mercenaries was sensational. My roommate and I were obsessed and ended up with top-50 worldwide scores on a couple maps. Intensely challenging and thrilling stuff.

I only played this with a friend, and that was okay for a few chapters. We moved on to something else, because it became pretty repetitive and uninteresting after a while. And it was only okay because I was playing it with a friend. I could tell that it would be a lot worse if I was just playing by myself, so I never did.

Ooccoo

"Zombies" with guns
Punching boulders
lol

Overall it felt RE5 took the worst part of RE4 (the island) and expanded it while stripping all horror elements from the game. It really didn't feel like a RE game, and hopefully RE7 is a proper survival-horror title.

News Bot

Banned
Everything was wrong.
The RE team thought they could replicate RE4 without Mikami.
They used the same formula, structure, pacing, they used the same types of enemies appearing in very similar instances and they replicated many encounters, but they never managed to get even close to RE4 or create something unique.
Don't get me wrong, there are brilliant moments in it, and i love all RE games, but RE5 is among the weakest games of the series.

It wasn't just Mikami who left. His entire planning team left with him.

photogaz

I bought this as I missed it last time around.

I'm on the 3rd chapter and I'm finding it a bit dull and the camera and controls are seriously getting on my nerves. I'm considering aborting it.

KorrZ

It was a good game in it's own right but it just wasn't impressive. RE4 had already come out and did the exact same formula a 1000x better. It was a solid 8, but when you already had RE4 as a 9 - 9.5 it's easy to see how it gets lost in the shuffle.

I played the game full co-op and then a second time professional mode with a friend - I imagine the game was much more dull as single player.

Maxim726X

I bought this as I missed it last time around.

I'm on the 3rd chapter and I'm finding it a bit dull and the camera and controls are seriously getting on my nerves. I'm considering aborting it.

Needs to be played with a buddy.

One of my favorite games from the last generation, just so much fun with a friend.

Bumhead

Banned
The combination of co-op and the persistent item upgrade system was a pretty compelling hook for me. It's by some significant margin my most re-played game from last gen.

It's really not as bad as it's made out to be, but it's a couple of steps below RE4 on the ladder which, by association, makes it look worse than it really is. The best parts are a retread of RE4 and the worst are the hyper-ridiculous bits like fighting Excella or the fight in the plane/volcano at the end. There was too much fighting against enemies with weapons, there was very little genuinely creepy atmosphere or imagery and it didn't have the ideas, charm or style of Resi 4.

nilbog21

Banned
The problem is 2 fold

1. It wasn't scary

2. Some people played through it with a bot *facepalm

The game play, level design, and controls are top notch and one of the best games of last generation. Re6 is an abomination in comparison

There were five major problems...

1) Co-op
2) The majority of the game takes place in broad daylight
3) Only one substantial puzzle throughout the entire campaign
4) Lack of any horror
5) A complete lack of understanding of what made RE4 great.

Edit: Wow, I had actually already replied to this thread a while ago, which I realized by seeing someone quoted me on this page... I listed the same things only in slightly different words haha.

Velikost

Old thread, but I'll throw my two cents in.

The only real problem with it is it had to follow up RE4, which is damn near impossible. I'll also admit the game should really only be played in co-op. Other than that, I loved it.

Forcing to have an AI partiner made single player pretty horrible. The last 1/3 of the game had horrible cover/shooter sections which were really, really bad.

Jobbs

Banned
I liked RE5 as a game -- but was disappointed that it didn't have more challenge or more of a horror element.

that said -- I was pretty happy with it at the time. Loved the graphics and art design.

mekes

Not a terrible game... A terrible Resident Evil game.

-Co-op
-Takes place in broad daylight
-One puzzle in the entire game (lasers)
-No terror or even slight tension to speak of
-Only looked to RE4 on a superficial level while demonstrating a failure to understand what made it great.

I would have posted the same complaints about RE5. So sad that Capcom do not understand their customer base and want something so different for the franchise..

zma1013

It just simply is not as good, fresh, or inventive as RE4 was. It just tries to ape the same general gameplay while giving us no new interesting enemies or gameplay mechanics and the boss fights just pale in comparison, no contest. Also, forced AI co-op partner that you must babysit and manage sucks. Now if they let me hide her in a box as I deal with all the bad guys, or she didn't waste all my ammo, that'd be fine, but as is, she sucks. It's decent fun with a friend, but I ended up having more fun taking turns playing through RE4 with a friend than I did playing co-op in RE5.

It just simply is not as good, fresh, or inventive as RE4 was. It just tries to ape the same general gameplay while giving us no new interesting enemies or gameplay mechanics and the boss fights just pale in comparison, no contest. Also, forced AI co-op partner that you must babysit and manage sucks. Now if they let me hide her in a box as I deal with all the bad guys, or she didn't waste all my ammo, that'd be fine, but as is, she sucks. It's decent fun with a friend, but I ended up having more fun taking turns playing through RE4 with a friend than I did playing co-op in RE5.

just give her a Sniper Rifle and she is God.

Resident Evil 5 is fun as hell. Great game. Especially played in Co op. RE5 is also a really different game compared to 4. Since it's a much more co op focused game they had to make some structural changes to keep the pacing moving forward. For example, the way the health system is fixed with no way to increase as you go along as compared to 4. Or the way the inventory system works. I don't get people's criticism of RE5 inventory system, criticize the game structure but there is no way I would want RE4's inventory system while playing RE5. It's too slow and requires too much management for what is a pure action TPS. RE4 is a better game over all but RE5 is definitely a fun and worthwhile sequel imo.

BadWolf

I would go back to RE5 and see how it holds up, but after playing so much RE6, it just wouldn't feel right. RE6 completely blows both RE4 and RE5 away in the combat department. I need my characters to run and flying kick whatever is in their way.

Have to agree here.

RE6 is such a huge step forward in combat not for just the series but the genre in general. Would be tough to go back.

Neff

It's a superb game, but I consider it inferior to RE4 because it simplified the combat (ironically by enabling more combat options), and lacked RE4's sense of whimsy, self-awareness, secrets, and immersion due to the environment generally being more open and less convoluted. The atmosphere is obviously a lot better in RE4 too, although I thought that RE5's scorched decay was a novel and effective approach for a horror game.

It's also still probably my favourite-looking game of all time.

Top Bottom