• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What was your favorite game released that year? 1992 edition. (56k)

Phediuk

Kid Chameleon isn't even listed in the OP? Come on.

Superb platformer and probably my favorite console game of that year.

Zelda 3.

It's not even close.

The moment I finished the game, I ran around the house screaming about how I killed Ganon, to my mother and sisters.
I then proceeded to start up a brand new game, with that sword beam power, and go for the old pig demon again.

kromeo

I was 6 at the time so I only played a few games, Zelda ALttP is one of my earliest memories so I'll say that

I played a lot of Golden Axe at friend's house but I wouldn't exactly say it's a good game lol

Thac0

Neo Member
It's a really close call between Sonic 2 and Wolf 3D. I spent so much time playing both of those games. Wolf 3D was too hard for me at the time though. I don't recall getting past a handful of the first levels. So Sonic 2 wins by default.

I didn't play Star Control 2 until years later but man that was a killer game.

Herne

bod_squad_01.gif

the-bod-squad_7.png

The Bod Squad, C64.

We're never going to see the 8-bit home computers in here, are we?

Cracklox

Sonic 2 for the home scene, but I'll be damned if mortal kombat didn't eat most of my pocket money that year at the local arcade

I will have to say Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (SNES). It blew my mind seeing a game like this on a home console.

bod_squad_01.gif

the-bod-squad_7.png

The Bod Squad, C64.

We're never going to see the 8-bit home computers in here, are we?

My God. That is a game that was lost in my memory bank. I am going to have to watch some videos of this.

lordmrw

As much as I love TMNT IV it is definitely A Link to the Past. I still remember the day I first played it and how in awe everyone in the room was. Unforgettable.

1. Zelda: A Link to the Past
2. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
3. Super Mario Kart
4. Pinball Dreams
5. Street Fighter II
6. Alone in the Dark
7. Sonic 2
8. Sensible Soccer
9. Turtles in Time
10. Streets of Rage 2

spekkeh

Banned
Damn. I was fine until somewhere halfway into the list, then I got all misty-eyed and it became one big blur of awesomeness. It's the release of the SNES in Europe, and I daresay the defining moment of console gaming (over here at least) in terms of a plethora of games and genres releasing at the same time for the home environment player.

I think there's really only one answer possible in my mind though:

35491-Street_Fighter_II_-_The_World_Warrior_(Europe)-1459171155.jpg

That was such an unparalleled thing. The greatest arcade sensation that you could play at home and looked pretty much similar. I remember some toy stores selling it here for an eye-watering 110 euros... BEFORE INFLATION. Mental. Would be 165 euro now, for a single game. And yet little me saved up for it (well I got it for about 65 euros, or 96 by current day standards).

Special shoutouts however to Mario Kart, Indiana Jones, Zelda, Wolfenstein 3D, Super Probotector and Mortal Kombat arcade, who all come in a shared close second, as well as Dune, Sonic 2, Turtles in Time, Mario Paint and some others who come closely behind that.
Whatayearwhatayear.

Dune II (PC) - The birth of the RTS genre.

Ecco the Dolphin (GEN) - They don't make games like this any more.

Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos (PC) - Some of the best pixel graphics I've ever seen, even to this day. Westwood Studios is missed. Great return to Dungeon Master. One of the first games I bought through GoG.

Landstalker (GEN) - One of a kind. Combines a game like Secret of Mana with Zelda-like platforming and puzzle elements.

Mario Paint (SNES) - I remember drawing an animation of a baseball player hitting a pitch with his penis. My ancient wood cabinet TV blew its wad while I was playing this game.

Mortal Kombat (Arcade) - A classic, but one of the few fighters of the era I never liked the combat system. I only cared about the fatalities.

Night Trap (SCD) - Played this baby, but had absolutely no idea what I was doing at the time.

Quest for Glory: So You Want To Be A Hero remake (PC) - Fantastic game. Played the original on Atari ST. Another game I bought first on GoG.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN) - I had an older brother, so the fact that I could play Tails and there was no risk of losing life or guys and I only helped my brother in the game was an amazing feature at the time.

Soul Blazer (SNES) - My personal best pick for the year. I absolutely love this game. RPG elements, adventure elements, you rebuild areas and evolve the story by completing these missions. It is hard to describe how incredible and unique the progression system was in this game, but I wish more modern games would adopt it.

Super Mario Kart (SNES) - The birth of Mario Kart.

The Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES) - I recall really enjoying this game.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) - An absolute classic.

The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES) - An incredible game that we should see more of in modern times.

Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss (PC) - The first real fully 3D Adventure RPG exploration game.

Wave Race (GB) - They made a Wave Race for Gameboy? O.O This is the first time I am aware of it...

Wolfenstein 3D (PC) - The birth of the FPS.

Wonder Boy in Monster World (GEN) - Is this a Euro-centric thread? This game is from 1991...anyway this is the first game where I discovered a secret cheat code on my own by reading the instruction manual.

X-Men (Arcade) - An arcade classic.

JMY86

Ultima VII: The Black Gate. My favorite game of all time. I still remember first walking into that stable in Trinsic and wondering what the hell was going on. I spent countless hours lost in the world of Britannia...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
LTTP, Final Fantasy 5 and Dragon Quest 5, best games in their respective series. Too bad we didn't get official US releases of the latter 2 until much later.

Streets of Rage 2, Sonic 2, Contra III, Landstalker, all up there as well.

I've played

Firepower 2000 (Great sound effects)
Mortal Kombat
Super Mario Kart
Street Fighter II and Street Fighter II: Championship Edition
The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past

I think out these A Link to the Past is the best one.

Zelda 3

Normally it would have stiff competition from Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, but the version of FATE that came out in '92 was the floppy version. Awesome talkie which added a lot to the game was a '93 release.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Probably would go with Indy: Fate of Atlantis. Just reading the list, that is the one that leapt out the most for me.

Super Mario Kart, LttP, SF2, Star Control 2, Ultima, and so many others are equally deserving though.

Camwi

Man, hard to choose between Sonic 2, Ecco the Dolphin, and Link to the Past.

It was probably Ecco the Dolphin. The music was awesome, the game was emotional, which was impressive since you were a friggin' dolphin, I thought the puzzles were difficult and interesting, the levels and different time periods and such were awesome.

Man, I wish the series would somehow continue.

Came in thinking Sonic 2, not realizing A Link To The Past was 92.

Both games are in my top 5 of all time, but ALTTP is my favorite game of all time.

Special mention to Mickey's Magical Adventure. Superb game.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Art of Fighting (Neo Geo, Arcade)
Clue (SNES)
Contra III: The Alien Wars (SNES)
Ecco the Dolphin (GEN)
Flashback (A bunch of stuff)
Golden Axe: The Revenge of Death Adder (Arcade)
Kid Chameleon (GEN)
Mario Paint (SNES)
Mortal Kombat (Arcade)
Parodius Da! (SNES)
Prince of Persia (SNES)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (GEN)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (SNES)
Street Fighter II Championship Edition (Arcade)
Street Fighter II′ Turbo: Hyper Fighting (Arcade)
Streets of Rage 2 (GEN)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Super Smash T.V. (SNES)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles in Time (SNES)
Virtua Racing (Arcade)
Wolfenstein 3D (PC)

Such a great year.

Top Bottom