• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What would you like to see in a potential DISSIDIA 3?

Big One

Banned
More representation from certain games that went unrepresented, FFXIV and FFXV inclusion. That's it really.

Also HD.

Tactics rep would be sweet as hell too.

Cedric

If it's on consoles and online, that's all I need.

Gameplay wise, I think they should only allow for a maximum of two jumps in the air. The fact that you can air dodge infinitely really takes away from ground combat.

Zolbrod

I've been playing both games back to back on Vita recently, and they SO need to make a new one.

I'm leaning towards 3DS just so that it would finally have decent StreetPass functionality, but I guess a console would be better for playing online.
I'd settle for an HD collection of both games though, to be honest.

I'd also like to see a proper Story Mode for the bad guys next time.

A less overpowered/more balanced counter system. Block > instant square finisher was a bitch during challenge rounds vs overpowered cpus that could BREAK you with little effort. 012 alleviated this somewhat this by introducing the assist system, but if your buddy had already been taken out it, it was like the first game all over again due to the broken nature of those followups in the first place.

Also, 60fps. Chase QTE's were some seriously tense twitch shit after the speed increase in 012.

Dissidia not playing like your typical fighting game is the only reason I like it. It's nothing without this individuality.

For myself, it would be swell if some major summons actually entered the battlefield, or if a few summons as roster characters made it in.

Agreed. I'd be very disappointed if they changed the gameplay too much as it's the only fighter I've ever been able to put a bunch of hours into. Just need it on console/PC, expand the roster, content, visuals and I'll get it day one.

It would be cool if they got rid of the Manikins and found a way to implement classic FF monsters into the combat system somehow without making it too much like a Dynasty Warriors style game. It would also be interesting if they expanded upon the open world system and brought it to life with various FF characters across the series.

Adding FF spin-off characters would be a great way to add diversity to the cast. I really liked how Duodecim added a whole lot more female characters in contrast to the original which had 3(2 if you don't count the Cloud of Darkness) so it be nice to see more of that. I really want the ability to change the costume of the opponent A.I. however in Quick Battles as it's frustrating that you can only change your own characters. More alt costumes would be nice.

In terms of the actual combat, it would be amazing to see the summons have actual in game animations to complement the fights rather than simply being pictures that show up on the screen. The blocking should probably reworked as some have already stated since it can be extremely annoying to face high level CPU's that can easily manipulate its use. The chase sequences should the keep the speed they have in Duodecim. If they found a way to increase the number of players from 1 v. 1 while keeping combat the same I would be extremely happy,

Bringing it to consoles and adding online multiplayer is probably the best thing they could do however.

Why not do the Theatrhythm: Curtain Call way and put characters from different FFs and Squaresoft games?

Tactics: Ramza and Delita
FFX-2: Paine and Leblanc
FFXIII-2: Serah, Noel, and Caius Ballad
Crisis Core: Zack Fair and Genesis
Xenogears: Fei and Id
SaGa Frontier: Red/Alkaiser and Black X
Chrono Trigger: C(h)rono and Magus
Parasite Eve: Aya Brea and Eve
Kingdom Hearts: Sora and Riku

Because then you would need to find out what a Nomura Crono looks like, and why would you wish that on someone?

aeolustl

Online battle and HD is what I expected from SE/

Btw, was there any indication that they won't make another one?
e.g. bad sales

dramatis

I want the combat system of Gundam vs Gundam if they're going fighter.

Alternatively making a crossover RPG out of the brand wouldn't hurt.

1. Fill it with Kingdom Hearts characters and few, if any, Final Fantasy characters.

2. Adopt the battle system from Kingdom Hearts 3, with duels *and* co-op missions.

3. Be the multiplayer mode for Kingdom Hearts 3 instead of a standalone game.

random25

Just have a better movement system and camera controls. Dissidia sometimes gets really hard to play when you just don't have a full control as to where you are going.

Traditional style is good, but Powerstone style makes more sense. The battle and damage system feels good and unique already, it just needs to have better control of character movement and perspective.

And add more old-school FF characters as well, especially FF5 and FF6.

Protag

Banned
Everyone from the previous Duodecim roster

New additions:

FF: Red mage
FF II: Maria
FF III: Black Mage
FF IV: Rydia
FF V: The Older Dude
FF VI: Locke/Edward/Shadow
FF VII: Aerith/Yuffie
FF VIII: SEIFER (PLEASE SE)/Rinoa
FF IX: Garnet (ofc)
FF X: Auron the god
FF XII: My man Balthier or Fran
FF XIII: Fang or Snow
FF XV: You already know

Bonus Characters: Sora and Xemnas

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Quina Quen, that's all I ask Square! That's all I've ever asked from you!

BumRush

I desperately want Playstation all stars battle Royale 2 to (be called something drastically different, and) be Playstation Vs. SE with characters from FF, DQ, Chrono, etc.

All I want from a third Dissidia game is more Garland.

If there is a third Dissidia, I think he and the Warrior of Light are a lock, but I just want more Garland.

Holy cow no!

Small arenas are the doom of that game, the camera freaks out super hard.

If anything they should make the smaller stages bigger so the camera doesn't lose its shit.

Seriously, trying to fight high level Cloud of Darkness on a cramped stage with a messed up camera was awful.

The last I heard of someone mention DISSIDIA is when Kitase mentioned that it is an important series to introduce people to FF, but that was a while back.

Has anyone ever asked SE about it since?

It's a FF fanservice game, it might not be that risky for SE to produce for consoles.
Or the series itself is too niche?

The last I heard of someone mention DISSIDIA is when Kitase mentioned that it is an important series to introduce people to FF, but that was a while back.

Has anyone ever asked SE about it since?

It's a FF fanservice game, it might not be that risky for SE to produce for consoles.
Or the series itself is too niche?

I don't think it's too niche, the first Dissidia sold like, 1m+ on the PSP IIRC. (Edit: 2m+, but Duodecim didn't sell nearly as well)

The problem is that the jump in cost from a handheld game to a PS4/Xbone game might not be worth it. They'd have to redo everything and add more stuff. and the game already has a sh*t ton of content.

I'm okay with it being on handhelds, they can reuse a lot of stuff and add more.

Sesha

Yeah, a big complaint of mine.

Square has no excuse considering they made Ehrgeiz (a more traditional fighter with FF characters).

4JmqWUc.jpg

K1lPhZ4.jpg

Ehrgeiz plays like they're all fighting on the moon, though.

I'd like a restructure of the whole gameplay. I don't like the basic design of the fighting in the games. It feels real floaty and floose. I'm surprised that a lot of people like the games.

I don't think it's too niche, the first Dissidia sold like, 1m+ on the PSP IIRC.

The problem is that the jump in cost from a handheld game to a PS4/Xbone game might not be worth it. They'd have to redo everything and add more stuff. and the game already has a sh*t ton of content.

I'm okay with it being on handhelds, they can reuse a lot of stuff and add more.

They are in an odd predicament with the series.
If they make it for portables they got the 3ds which fine if not limiting compared to the other choices. The new 3DS has the camera nub and maybe Amiibo support.

There's the Vita which is fine, and I would buy the blasted thing just for it, but SE might as well get there entire production of it after they finish and burn it and they would make the same amount of money.

Personally I rather SE put it on consoles. It'll cost way more, but since it's essentially a fighting game, it wouldn't cost as much as an JRPG or other hi production single player games.

Either way everything should be redone.

Ezalc

Make it on a console not on a portable. Have WoL be the leader not that bullshit with Lightning trying to be calling the shots, fuck her. Less FFVII wankery, give at least one character to all FFs which is possible and two for the FFs that didn't get an additional character in duodecim: VI, IX, etc. Maybe put in some characters from other SE franchises maybe even a dude from dragon quest I don't know. No more than 3 XIII characters and that includes lightning. Only one lightning no bullshit like adding lightning from each game, fuck that.

I'd like a restructure of the whole gameplay. I don't like the basic design of the fighting in the games. It feels real floaty and floose. I'm surprised that a lot of people like the games.
I like BECAUSE it feels loose. Having tight controls only allow for close corner battles, it's hard to have air battles or big dodges with them. You loose a bit of precision though, but that's a price I'm willing to pay.

They are in an odd predicament with the series.
If they make it for portables they got the 3ds which fine if not limiting compared to the other choices. The new 3DS has the camera nub and maybe Amiibo support.

There's the Vita which is fine, and I would buy the blasted thing just for it, but SE might as well get there entire production of it after they finish and burn it and they would make the same amount of money.

Personally I rather SE put it on consoles. It'll cost way more, but since it's essentially a fighting game, it wouldn't cost as much as an JRPG or other hi production single player games.

Either way everything should be redone.
The Vita has a small fanbase, but it's a pretty strong one, I think they could have decent sales there...

Anyway, 3DS they could reuse assets from the PSP, so it's probably a good option.

And I don't know, I think in consoles it could work, but the world map and the campaign would look like complete garbage, which is a good way to save money in development, specially if they add online. But some people would probably dislike.

Drop the horrible assist system. I put hundreds of hours into the first Dissidia, and still prefer the overall gameplay of that. Combos were much better, and Ex Mode was awesome but not overpowered.

In 012, they destroyed Ex Mode and added the broken Assist system which replaced traditional combos. Drop that crap.

Also, I wonder whatever happened with this
The Assist helped out with the broken aspects though. Blocking would give enough hitstun that you could hit back with and HP attack easily in the first game. In Duodecim you can counter that with your Assist. Same thing when you're against someone like Cloud, that does tons of Bravery into HP attacks. They'd have to rebalance a lot if they took Assists out.

Illucio

Banned
Characters I want to see in a Dissidia 3

1. No one. The Warrior of Light taking up all the job roles is perfect enough as it is.
2. No one. The game doesn't really have any other good character to draw from.
3. Luneth. It would be interesting to see the DS remake get a nod at. Although the Onion Knight is supposed to be Luneth, I'd rather make these two characters separate from each other representing their own version of the game.
4. Rydia. I'd love to see that Green hair goddess make her way back as another summoner.
5. Any of the Warriors of Dawn, they could be used in a very interesting way story-wise. And it would give Bartz more similarities to Tidus with the relation of their fathers.
6. Mog. It would be awesome to fight as a Moogle for a character, even though Mog is.. Well people who played the game, you know...
7. Vincent. This is more because he was given his own spin-off game and it would be awesome to see more gun fighters in the game next to Lagunna. And Zack, star of Crisis Core and overall fan favorite. If not his own character at least make him a skin for Cloud. And then Angeal, because.... Awesomeness. Stuck between the role of wanting to be a hero, but ending up as a villain. This FF7 universe has a lot of characters to draw from.
8. No one. Perfectly represented with current cast.
9. Vivi. Now I say draw specifically Vivi to use as a traditional Black Mage character rather than the 1st game's Black Mage, specifically because Vivi has his own story and character fleshed out and would be a awesome draw for the game in general.
10. Seymour. I'm still scratching my head on why they never added this guy in the first game. I understand why they added Jehtt but still he was the anger of all my hate in this game because of his character alone.
11. Perfectly represented. (That and I know very little of 11)
12. Fran and Balthier. Balthier was supposed to be the main star of the game until he was put to the side on the box art even though he has a prominent role in the entire game, and Fran is simply a fan favorite and would add a bow and arrow user into the cast. (Both of them can add to that Thief class game-play wise.)
13. Ciaus. For obvious reasons. Serah for having her own game and being a bow and arrow user. And Snow to represent his more villainous side from Lightning Returns fighting between good and evil wanting to see Serah.
14. ???? I honestly don't know. I've played all the Beta's, and the only character that strikes me out is that brown hair character they keep representing as the face of the series. Give him a name, and let's have a generic tanky/knight character. I would love to see a bunch of villains represent themselves from this game though.
15. Noctis and Stella. Obvious reason.

SoulUnison

Banned
I'd like to see a Dissidia: Kingdom hearts, as was the original vision for the game.
Sora, Riku and Organization XII would be a lot of fun, though when I think about it it'd probably feel pretty lopsided in the villians favor.

Also, more combos/moves or just a revamped move system.
The games felt like they got really repetitive pretty quickly since characters effectively only had 3 ground attacks and 3 air attacks, so matches devolved into two people both trying to land the same things over and over again.

Skilletor

Weird to me, as a person who plays fighting games and is in lots of fighting game threads, to see people (not the same, mind you, at least, I don't think so) request unique fighters and see people want to turn a unique fighter like Dissidia into something more conventional.

Dissidia is my most played FF game the past generation. I don't want it to change. I just want more of it. I'd love it on PS4/XB1/PC.

Oh, and man...that OST. HNNNNG.

Kientin

1. I really disliked how many of the character's storylines were just a weak retelling of their original games. Lots of them retained none of the growth they had to undergo when they were brought in. A glaring example is Tidus and all of that Jecht hate. If I wanted to go through all of that again, I would just play FFX again. It's told better anyway. It's the reason why FF1's story in Dissidia is probably my favorite. None of the characters had any personality anyway so most of what they did with them is original stuff. Even if Warrior of Light is pretty one-dimentional and they retread on the time travel stuff a bit. I'll take what I can get. Luckly if they do make a new Dissidia, because they retold stories in the last game they will be forced to make some more original stuff.

2. I felt like combat itself was a bit limited with the total amount of moves you could set. Combat felt spammy at times as a result. If you could equip additional attacks, that would be great. Or maybe make it so you could do light, medium, and strong versions of a move like in traditional fighters.

3. More offensive options would be great. This is more of a problem with multiplayer. Each Dissidia has had defensive mechanics that were really strong. EX mode in the first game would make it impossible to physically attack someone with a full bar without getting completely demolished. They changed that in the second game but added assists. Lots of strategies revolved around running away and building your assist gauge until it was full. You were then free to attack until you got hit and let your assist take the hit, in which you would then run away and build it again. You would have people on Sephiroth run away and spam shadow flare while the opponent would have to really work to get in and land a hit. Games have gone past the 30 minute mark. That kind of stuff is super frustrating.

More characters are always cool (FF characters that is, keep games like KH out still please ;P). This stuff is the kind of change I really want to see though. I feel like they have an interesting base, and if they fix up the mechanics a bit it could be really fun.

Edit:
Drop the horrible assist system. I put hundreds of hours into the first Dissidia, and still prefer the overall gameplay of that. Combos were much better, and Ex Mode was awesome but not overpowered.

In 012, they destroyed Ex Mode and added the broken Assist system which replaced traditional combos. Drop that crap.

Also, I wonder whatever happened with this

I'll agree that the assist system isn't great, that they overly nerfed EX mode, and that they removed some cool combos. However let's not pretend that EX mode in the first game was fair. Not only was it a get out of jail free card, but the ability to stagger the opponent with it and counter with a HP attack and an EX burst as well was pure BS and shut down almost all forms of offense. If your character didn't have a strong zoning game there was little you could do.

JordanN

Banned
Weird to me, as a person who plays fighting games and is in lots of fighting game threads, to see people (not the same, mind you, at least, I don't think so) request unique fighters and see people want to turn a unique fighter like Dissidia into something more conventional.

Dissidia is my most played FF game the past generation. I don't want it to change. I just want more of it. I'd love it on PS4/XB1/PC.

Oh, and man...that OST. HNNNNG.
I don't have a problem with unique fighters per se, it's just that with Dissidia, I could never make heads or tails of what it's trying to be.

First time playing it on PSP, I couldn't land a single hit. The gameplay felt closer to those MMO PVP battles.

Maybe some like it, but for a fighting game, I thought there were better unique examples out there.

Jeels

VII: Cait Sith
VIII: Rinoa (I'd argue for Seifer or Zell but there are too many similar characters already)
IX: Vivi, Quina
XII: Balthier, Fran
XIII: Delete Lightning, remove all references
XIV: Milfinia, Thancred, Yugiri, Sultana Nanamo on the back of Raubahn.
XV: TBA but Noctis for one.

Good online play. 2x more stages (game has great character variety but I feel like I'm playing the same stages over and over). HD visuals. Second analog stick support obviously, it helped duodecim a lot when I played it on Vita.

Stage ideas - FF7 gold saucer and top of Shinra building, FF8 galbadia (alternatively balamb garden hallways or cafeteria), FF9 lindblum castle, black mage village. FFX Blitzball Stadium, FFXII - Rabanastre FFXIV - Mor Dona, Contenieu PVP Arena, general series - chocobo themed stage like chocobo Forrest, moogle themed stage.

Skilletor

I don't have a problem with unique fighters per se, it's just that with Dissidia, I could never make heads or tails of what it's trying to be.

First time playing it on PSP, I couldn't land a single hit. The gameplay felt closer to those MMO PVP battles.

Maybe some like it, but for a fighting game, I thought there were better unique examples out there.

I...really don't see how that is. Also don't think there's anything wrong with not immediately comprehending what the game is trying to do. It was weird to me at first, but that, to me, says I need to learn how to play.

Golnei

Less shitty writing would be nice, but it's an impossible dream at this point.

As for relatively realistic hopes, aside from the standard (expanded roster, balanced character / stage ratio for all represented games, more assist character cameos, palette swap options for every costume, more nuance to individual moves and expanded character abilities, updated visual style if on a console) I wouldn't mind to see them try a few different game modes and Smash Bros-esque minigames. With Dissidia's ARPG influence, incorporating a timed exploration Smash Run/City Trial derivative mode with unique enemy types would add on to the existing systems very organically, and a 2v2 mode could be really fun if properly rebalanced - especially if all 4 players can use summons and assists. And if they've milked it enough on mobile by now, it probably wouldn't hurt to add a version of Triple Triad that uses your unlocked avatar images as cards. Also, a giant boss or two could work with some effort and judicious use of grind rails - if the third game comes and goes without an opportunity to fuck up Shinryu, something's gone horribly wrong.

Valentus

What would i like to see in a new dissidia:

-More expanded roster (min 4 characters per game)

-Single battles, Tag Battles, Royal Rumble (Online tag battles with 4 players, each controls an individual character)

-"Memorable battles" of FF games with Dissidia engine and mechanics (Clash in The Big Bridge, Homeless Seifer vs Squall and the gang, Squall and the gang vs Turks and Rufus in the top of Shinra's HQ, etc)

I think that's all, the mechanics in 012 was so good, i dont think it needs more changes.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Just get rid of the voice acting.

Worst VA ever in an otherwise awesome, awesome, well produced video game.

Jay RaR

OMG YES!

Just put it on consoles/PC, add more characters (hopefully less on XIII more on XII, IX, and VI), stages, and music and I'm definitely on board.

KH characters would be awesome too like playing as Sora or Xehanort's heartless.

Golnei

Perhaps with one exception.

chaos.jpg

If Keith David were the only actor in the game, it'd be objectively much stronger.

-"Memorable battles" of FF games with Dissidia engine and mechanics (Clash in The Big Bridge, Homeless Seifer vs Squall and the gang, Squall and the gang vs Turks and Rufus in the top of Shinra's HQ, etc)

That's actually a really appealing concept - Dissidia's own scenarios hold no weight and aren't that interesting in themselves, so recreating events from the original games in place of the 'event' battles would be a good avenue to fit in even more fanservice. Though the cutscene direction would have to be a lot better than the very static animation cycles of the first two games.

KH characters would be awesome too like playing as Sora or Xehanort's heartless.

If you're not worried about new movesets, you can already do something along those lines...

0.jpg

Forkball

I'm surprised there hasn't been an HD remake of the Dissidia titles, or at least a port to somewhere else. Maybe they moved on to Theatrhythm being the "FF crossover" franchise.

Also I wouldn't mind a straight up Final Fantasy Smash Bros. rip off.

TheMink

Dissidia has this strange way of hooking me for hours just doing a round robin tourney with the CPU haha.

Would love to see a console version, but ultimately I'd like a vita ver the most.

Would also like a better overworld, the board games are ok but I would prefer something more fleshed out. Like 012 only that still uses the board.

Prototype

I'm surprised there hasn't been an HD remake of the Dissidia titles, or at least a port to somewhere else. Maybe they moved on to Theatrhythm being the "FF crossover" franchise.

Also I wouldn't mind a straight up Final Fantasy Smash Bros. rip off.
This is a good point.

D2 remaster on PS4 for $60. (with online play)

I'd get it day 1. Never played these games because I've never owned a Sony handheld, or any handheld for that matter, but was really interested in this game.

Aru

A multi-platform release would be good. PC/XB1/PS4, for example.
Other than that, I'd like them to add some sort of "standard" attack, like punch, kick, or a basic sword slash. A 1-hit attack, even if it's only one or two per character. So we can add a little diversity to the battles and not spam the same attacks over and over. Keep the other things that make Dissidia unique, though.

About the roster, I'd like to see the following playable characters:
- FFI: Thief, Chaos
- FFII: Anyone, basically
- FFIII: Same
- FFIV: Adult Rydia, Yang (and TAY skin for Kain)
- FFV: Anyone
- FFVI: Sabin, Locke
- FFVII: Barrett
- FFVIII: Seifer, Irving
- FFIX: Vivi
- FFX: Wakka, Rikku, Paine
- FFXI: Anyone
- FFXII: Balthier, Fran
- FFXIII: Snow, Noel, Caius
- FFXIV: Anyone
- FFXV: Noctis
- FF Mystic Quest: Benjamin
- Crisis Core: Angeal, Genesis (eventually a Zack skin for Cloud, they are too similar to be different characters)
- Cosmos

A brand new story mode, that has nothing to do with the previous cycles, would be great.

Syril

The actors are all good, the problem is that it sounds like they were just given little to no direction outside of "make it sound like this".

Top Bottom