• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's everyone's opinion on Super Mario Bros. 2?

belgurdo

Banned
Awesome game, and it sticks in my mind moreso than the samey Mario 3 and Super Mario World. Makes me wish they kept that level of innovation in the series.

jarrod

Banned
border said:
Isn't it funny how the sequels to a lot of NES classics wound up being such radical departures from the original versions?

Super Mario Brothers 2 -- pretty good
Castlevania 2 -- sucked ass
Zelda 2 -- sucked donkey ass
Thankfully MegaMan 2 bucked the trend. :)

SD-Ness

It's my least favorite Mario game. I've still had fun with it though. It just lacks the flare of the other Mario games. There was a lot of innovation that never came back in though.

MAZYORA

Zero said:
It's my least favorite Mario game. I've still had fun with it though. It just lacks the flare of the other Mario games. There was a lot of innovation that never came back in though.

I just love the fact that Miyamoto took an existing game that didn't sell well, but was still awesome, and threw the Mario characters in it, and made it work. I really love the characters of Super Mario 2 more than any other Mario characters.

This will all be in my book*, but just as a free preview let's clear up some misconceptions:

- As far as I can tell, Yume Kojo wasn't a TV series but a 'communication carnival', a festival held by the Fuji group in Tokyo in 1987 to show off all of the various new TV shows, manga, and what-have-you that the group was sponsoring. One of these things was Doki Doki Panic, and apparently the four main characters of the game were the mascots of the festival.

I think Fenegi might know more.

- Both games were Mario Team games, but Miyamoto himself put *more* effort into DDP/Super Mario USA than the 'real' Super Mario Bros. 2, which was Takashi Tezuka's directing debut. Miyamoto did about "ten percent" of SMB2 as opposed to "thirty to forty percent" of DDP/SMU.

- The rest of the characters were Nintendo's creations, which is why they started to show up in Mario games starting with SMB3 (which featured Bob-Omb, at least).

*COMING THIS FALL SAVE UP YOUR ALLOWANCE!

Flakster99

Back then, SMB. 2 was a very enjoyable experience. Played the game with friends, family members, had plenty of competition, the one i enjoyed was the one to see who would be able to beat the game with Luigi, god what an annoying jump ability he had hehe. Thought the game was very creative, plenty of artistic style and imaginative, thumbs up!

SMB2 was the first Mario I finished. I especially liked the fact was no time limit, made it more appropriate for the home console than the arcades (although the first time I finished it, it was on a timed Nintendo arcade cabinet).

Plus I digged the dream sequences and the characters' different jumping styles.

I remember liking it as a kid but when I bought it on the GBA I hated it. I mean really hated it. I don't like Yoshi's Island that much either, though.

These are the Mario games I'll still play:

SMB
SMB2/Lost Levels
SMB3
SMW

FnordChan

Boy howdy do I ever love SMB2; it may well be my favorite Mario game, red-headed stepchild or not. Besides, you've gotta love the Shyguys, who make me think of Cthulhu cultists.

1.gif

SHYGUY~!

FnordChan

GDGF

Soothsayer
To tell you the truth, I liked it more than Super Mario Bros. 3. I know it's supposed to be the most hated in the series and yadda yadda, but I loved it.

I also loved Zelda 2 The Adventure of Link, BTW.

Edit: Woot! Finally a member!

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Kobun Heat said:
- The rest of the characters were Nintendo's creations, which is why they started to show up in Mario games starting with SMB3 (which featured Bob-Omb, at least).

SMB3 also had Flurries, and Cactus guys, which debuted in SMB2/USA as well, Ill contact you later with my info for source credit ;)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
scola said:
SMB3 also had Flurries, and Cactus guys, which debuted in SMB2/USA as well, Ill contact you later with my info for source credit

Actually, SMB3 had neither of those.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I really, really liked the SMB2 version USA and Europe got. Like many have said, it was really a breathe of fresh air in terms of gameplay and settings. This was really welcome back at the day, since basically every kid had played tens of hours of SMB.

In my opinion, the graphic design of SMB2 is also the most cohesive in the series (well, YI builds nicely around the gimmick of crayons, but not too memorable) and the enemies are among most memorable ever brought to the Super Mario universe. Just think of

- Shy-Guys
- Pokey - the big cactus thingy
- Bomb-ombs
- Sniffits - the shooting gasmask enemy
- Phantos - the face that chases you when you get a key
- Cobrat - the snake in the pot
- Sparky - the electic shock monster going around platforms
- Mouser - the bomb-throwing mouse
- Tryclyde - the snake with three heads
- Wart

For images and descriptions of the enemies, see http://www.x-entertainment.com/articles/0718/

Alcibiades

I loved the game when I was little, haven't played it in a while except the GBA version once or twice...

The fact that it established Princess Toadstool and Toad as heroes is pretty cool, cause I don't remember the "Toad" name before that...

the music levels and gameplay are all cool anyway...

Super Mario Bros. 2 rocks. It's very different than the other Mario-from-beginning Mario games, just plain fun to play, had catchy music, gave characters like Shyguy to the Mario universe, and forced things like the size/movement differentiation of Mario and Luigi. A part of me feels it's a loss to have not had the game remain its own parallel series. I mean, here's this great little game, and it never really had a sequel. Fun differences with the other Mario games, like riding enemies and picking them up from there, pretty much never to be seen again.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
DavidDayton said:
Actually, SMB3 had neither of those.
Really? I am truly slipping in my age then :(

Thanks for calling me out then, now I need to dig SMB3 out.

well pokeys definately come back in SMW... I guess flurries never did come back huh? :(

Ranger X

Good game indeed. It's my least favorite after Sunshine though. I just finished "Mario The Lost Level" on my SMBA+World the other day (was actually the first time i really played "The Lost Levels" *gulp) and god damn it rocks. I wish Nintendo would have push Doki Doki to the states as it is (and would have create another successfull series most probably because we did like Mario 2 after all). If they didn't want to give us Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Level, then they just had to wait until SMB3 i guess. No stress.

Anyhow, just wanted to say again that seriously, The Lost Level is amazing.

Top Bottom