• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's next for tri-Ace?

Ravidrath

Talking to a friend at Square Enix... I'm not sure Tri-Ace is long for this world.

They don't have the staff to deliver on one game at a time, let alone two.

It sounds like the company that acquired them "streamlined" (Read: hollowed out) them out of being able to deliver on their project goals.

From what I was told, Star Ocean 5 was basically their last chance, and they blew it. The game they released was a fraction of what they promised they'd deliver, and Square lost faith in them and just shipped the bare minimum they could.

Wagram

I love when companies make a bad game and then blame the fans that they didn't support it.

Maybe if it didn't have a shoe string budget, had actual cutscenes, and decent combat, just maybe someone would have bought it.

CamHostage

For shame...
maxresdefault.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cuXgRVMvZ0

Lime

Talking to a friend at Square Enix... I'm not sure Tri-Ace is long for this world.

It sounds like the company that acquired them "streamlined" (Read: hollowed out) them out of being able to deliver on their project goals.

From what I was told, Star Ocean 5 was basically their last chance, and they blew it. The game they released was a fraction of what they promised they'd deliver, and Square lost faith in them and just shipped the bare minimum they could.

Damn that sounds terrible.

I already thought they were dead pre-2015 before EA and SO5 were announced. The announcement gave me hope that they'd return with something decent or good and start making RPGs again, but unfortunately both ended up really disappointing. And now they are back to the life support, I take it from your post.

Star Ocean: Anamnesis and the SO3 port tells me that at the very least Square Enix are still willing to work with tri-Ace in some capacity.

Jhoan

From what I was told, Star Ocean 5 was basically their last chance, and they blew it.

tenor.gif

At least you guys will keep the spirit of Tri-Ace alive with Indivisible. It bums the hell out to hear that because Tri-Ace was one of my favorite game devs that made games with deep gameplay systems. I loved the hell out of Resonance of Fate, Star Ocean 2 , and Valkyrie Profile 2. I hope more of their older games come out on PS4.

A similar fate happened to Mistwalker where mobile games have been super profitable for them that they haven't had a reason to return to consoles. Heck Matsuno hasn't made a game in ages and I don't think we're ever going to get another Final Fantasy Tactics or Tactics Ogre. The days of the smaller, ambitious JRPGs are over although the 3DS has been delivering on that front.

Seik

Banned
If you compare it to Star Ocean 4, that game sold 208,438 units on 360 in Japan, whereas Star Ocean 5 sold 154.778 units on PS4 and PS3 in 2016 in Japan.

I imagine the reviews in the West and bad word of mouth didn't help the overall sales.

Ouch, this is beyond bad. :(((

Lime

Ravi's post really soured any hopes whatsoever for tri-ace to recover. It sounds terrible and honestly I have no idea why they would commit to 2 concurrent console projects like Exist Archive and Star Ocean 5 when they cannot execute and deliver on the promised project goals. It sounds like terrible executive decision-making to spread yourselves so thin if/when this was your final chance.

Ouch, this is beyond bad. :(((

For what it's worth, SO: Anamnesis is doing relatively better according to Square Enix's latest report.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

What happened to SO5? It feels incredibly unfinished. :/

duckroll

Damn and people say I bring bad news to threads. :(

Thanks for sharing though! T_T

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope they bring English SO3 to PS4 PSN before they go away.

Eylos

Banned
I want to get star ocean 5 in a very good Sale (Golden week sale is not the price i want), so i Will not be sad for spending money.

I hope that the last Hope is a future vp3

Lucentto

Banned

Wow. RIP Tri-Ace. Hopefully they can give me VP2 HD remastered before they get completely crippled.

Lime

According to a Dengeki interview, Star Ocean 5's development started in 2013. Google translated:

In ──, does it start-up of planning is was about time?

Gotanda : concept itself was there from just after the launch of "SO4". Square Enix's and continued to discuss, I guess is about 2013 was to start the development become a form of work now. Complete the steadily developed from there, thus will be the stage that has been finished to the point where you can show you.

So around 2-3 years of development time. But this was 2 years before Nepro acquired tri-Ace, so I'm not sure why they would have been hollowed out. Kobayashi's statement in my OP also says that the company is in much better health after Nepro.

Exist Archive also had 2 years of development time:

AL: Since the release of Exist Archive and it's upcoming Western release, is there anything you're going to miss about the cast of characters? What is next for you moving forward?

MN: There is a lot I'll be sad about since I worked on this title for two years. We still have several projects, so I'll probably be working on those. However, I hope this title will do well and give us the opportunity to work on the sequel.

So I'm not sure what tri-Ace and/or Square Enix were expecting with such short time for two concurrent console JRPGs. 2-3 years for Star Ocean 5, 2 years for Exist Archive - and it shows in both titles.

DR2K

Banned
After Star Ocean 5 and that shitty game with chunsoft, they're done. I don't want them making a VP game.

I would love their old catalog of games on PS4.

duckroll

After Star Ocean 5 and that shitty game with chunsoft, they're done. I don't want them making a VP game.

I would love their old catalog of games on PS4.

Was it shitty? I thought it was a low rent game which was pretty good? I still haven't played it because I heard the Vita version performed badly. No PS4 yet.

ULTROS!

Was it shitty? I thought it was a low rent game which was pretty good? I still haven't played it because I heard the Vita version performed badly. No PS4 yet.

It's incredibly repetitive, and a lot of the dungeons are reused/recolors. Monsters are mostly recolored.

Some Nobody

Oh man, this looked so great. >< I had so much hope they'd reboot Star Ocean into something that lived up to the name, but instead we got 5. :(

I'd be pretty shocked if tri-ace got shuttered, but I'm not at all shocked if they never get the funding (from S-E at least) to do another console game. Their best bet is churning out mobile titles in the hopes that one day Nepro will have enough money to attempt making a console game themselves. Which, admittedly, is unlikely as only Cygames has ever done that well afaik.

Kill Star Ocean already, Give us VP.

Ugh. VP's cool and all, but a Star Ocean actually set in space doing sci-fi stuff? You could turn that into a CoD-like yearly franchise and I could never hear the words "Valkyrie Profile" again in my life. It'd be fine.

Yeah, I've wanted a SO mostly set in space forever lol.

So I'm not sure what tri-Ace and/or Square Enix were expecting with such short time for two concurrent console JRPGs. 2-3 years for Star Ocean 5, 2 years for Exist Archive - and it shows in both titles.

Yup. I enjoyed them but they would have been so much better with more development time to flesh them out, and SO5 in particular needed more budget, especially for real cutscenes (which I remember he said in an interview would come back if there is an SO6).

Ferrio

Banned
I've long since given up on ever seeing a Valkyrie Profile: Hrist. A shame, since VP2 might be my favorite JRPG.

theofficefan99

tri-Ace never learns.

I knew from when SO5 was announced that they took SO4's criticisms the wrong way. The director of SO5 basically just wanted to rehash SO3 without any of its redeeming qualities. And they seemed to always ignore the constant massive complaints towards their games' writing.

It's a shame. Valkyrie Profile 2 was great. RoF is good and the universe has a lot of potential. I really liked Infinite Undiscovery. Star Ocean... a sci-fi JRPG series deserves better gameplay, better writing, and a bigger budget. I wonder where they'd be now if SO4's writing wasn't so atrocious.

Lime

Does that even have anything to do with tri-Ace themselves?

Shuichi Kobayashi and the whole tri-ace youtube stream have been the one promoting the port at least. I don't have access to the credits of the port though, so I'm not sure who actually did it.

Kobayashi and Shinji Hashimoto were also together for the 20 year celebration of Star Ocean last month

20170331-so3-05obbag.jpg

Regarding future collaborations, Hashimoto had this to say (google translate):

- Please tell us about your future prospects.

Hashimoto: The past title is an important asset of the company, I think that these masterpieces can still be enjoyed enough. As in the "Star Ocean" series remake works are on sale as well, I'd like to try to play past masterpieces on your current hard that you have. Of course, new titles are of course also available as a lineup optimized for the current hard, so I'd like to create an environment where I can play anytime.

So at least Square Enix and tri-Ace are on speaking terms, I guess :/

ULTROS!

Persona 4?

Think of Persona 4 but make the cast not exciting, remove the Persona capturing thing, and the gameplay going stale after 10 minutes.

And instead of the different dungeons you have
Heaven
dungeon recolored to either red , blue, and add in some logs.

Though you should try it and see if it's good, since that's the closest product to VP. :p

duckroll

Shuichi Kobayashi and the whole tri-ace youtube stream have been the one promoting the port at least. I don't have access to the credits of the port though, so I'm not sure who actually did it.

Kobayashi and Shinji Hashimoto were also together for the 20 year celebration of Star Ocean last month

Regarding future collaborations, Hashimoto had this to say (google translate):

So at least Square Enix and tri-Ace are on speaking terms, I guess :/

Errrr. But both Kobayashi and Hashimoto are Square Enix producers.

Lime

Errrr. But both Kobayashi and Hashimoto are Square Enix producers.

Yes, he used to be/is, but the interviews I read last year during the PR tour of SO5 stated that he had to 'move' from SE marketing to become production producer of SO5. Or maybe I just misunderstood the various interview statements last year. At least he's the one involved in all the tri-Ace stuff these days. E.g. the Polygon interview and the Gamespot interview:

I'm a personal fan of Star Ocean and [other Tri-Ace series] Valkyrie Profile, and I was constantly thinking that more games should come out for these IP. But I wasn't a producer, I was in marketing and never able to start a project. But because console games were dwindling, I felt that danger in the market, and I went to [Square Enix] and asked to change departments, change teams, and start the project.

Assuming they don't get shuttered they probably end up like every other C-Tier and D-tier developer and make mobile games that most of us never play.

It's kinda obvious that their concepts just don't have the kind of broad appeal to warrant the budgets of a retail console game, especially a retail RPG.

duckroll

Yes, he used to be/is, but the interviews I read last year during the PR tour of SO5 stated that he had to 'move' from SE marketing to become production producer of SO5. Or maybe I just misunderstood the various interview statements last year. At least he's the one involved in all the tri-Ace stuff these days.

He is literally listed as the Square Enix Producer in the interview you linked.

Lime

He is literally listed as the Square Enix Producer in the interview you linked.

I guess I over-interpreted his interviews last year (polygon, gamespot, destructoid) when he said he 'moved' and the current marketing streams done for Anamnesis and the SO3 port.

Pooya

I think SE is certainly done with them. The IPs they worked on don't exactly have much value anyway.

The new studio and IP they're building with Tales of guy probably replaces SO.

If there is any external studio they would want to partner with for anything, it's probably platinum games.

I will miss VP though, rip.

Lime

I will miss VP though, rip.

Honestly, I just want Square Enix to put VP1 and possibly VP2 up on PSN for Vita/PS4 so that the series won't be completely forgotten and/or unavailable. PS1 copies are running at over a $100 on eBay and the flawed PSP port by TOSE Inc. is relegated to the UMD format (and homebrew PSP/Vitas).

And potentially localize Anatomia if that's possible.

Kain

It's a pity, such a waste of talent :(

I always thought Tri-ace just needed better writers, the systems in all of their games are some of the best in the industry.

MilkBeard

If this article is to be trusted, they'll close down very soon.

For real tho, I really liked Resonnance of Fate, they always gave me that feeling of being a very smart and resourceful developper. Their games weren't always met with success afaik tho

Getting past the weirdly obtuse introduction to the battle systems, Resonance of Fate was a great game, and probably the last we will see of that quality from Tri-Ace. It makes me sad.

Lime

Getting past the weirdly obtuse introduction to the battle systems, Resonance of Fate was a great game, and probably the last we will see of that quality from Tri-Ace. It makes me sad.

I wonder how much better RoF would have sold if it hadn't released next to FFXIII. Then again, I doubt tri-Ace wouldn't have been impacted by Sega's change in publishing strategy regardless of how much RoF would have sold.

I hope the game at least gets a PC port like what VC, Bayonetta, and now Vanquish has gotten. At least it's available on PSN.

Arthea

It's a pity, such a waste of talent :(

I always thought Tri-ace just needed better writers, the systems in all of their games are some of the best in the industry.
Agreed, although I'm not bothered with stories as much as many people seem to be, good gameplay is all I need, and tri-Ace is able to deliver that, or maybe was able, not sure how their situation is, I know some key people left.

I honestly feel like they were lucky to land the games they did these days.

Phantasy Star Nova was a good gig for them, but they seemed to mess it up. The final game was fine, but all the demos and promotion for it was hamstrung by the game clearly being properly finished in the final stretch.

Then they got Exist Archive which was another great opportunity, but I feel like budget held them back here and they had another bomb.

Star Ocean was like their final chance and I had hoped they'd deliver since they clearly care a great deal about the IP, but it was another missed opportunity.

I hope Ravi's post isn't true and they manage to keep going, but honestly I can see them really struggling to find work going forward.

Datschge

I guess I over-interpreted his interviews last year (polygon, gamespot, destructoid) when he said he 'moved' and the current marketing streams done for Anamnesis and the SO3 port.
Yamagishi, the previous Enix producer, stopped producing tri-Ace games for Square Enix after SO4 in 2010 for whatever reason. Kobayashi was marketing director for plenty tri-Ace games at Square Enix and moved up as producer supposedly to be able to produce tri-Ace games as nobody else at Square Enix did so after Yamagishi stopped. None of them all are part of tri-Ace, and tri-Ace did work for Sega, Yahoo, Konami, Level 5, Spike Chunsoft and NTT Docomo since 2010.

Ravidrath

From what I was told...

Tri-Ace wanted to make S05, but after S04 Square was understandably wary.

Tri-Ace asked Square what they would want to see in the game, and Square gave them a list of features, etc. Tri-Ace said they could do it.

Fast forward some period of time, and Tri-Ace says they can't deliver the features Square requested after all. So the focus shifts to triage and just stitching what they have together to make it into a shippable product, instead of delaying it.

I guess this explains why the game feels short and unfinished, but the sidequests and unlockable systems feel so overdone for the game they're in.

Some Nobody

From what I was told...

Tri-Ace wanted to make S05, but after S04 Square was understandably wary.

Tri-Ace asked Square what they would want to see in the game, and Square gave them a list of features, etc. Tri-Ace said they could do it.

Fast forward some period of time, and Tri-Ace says they can't deliver the features Square requested after all. So the focus shifts to triage and just stitching what they have together to make it into a shippable product, instead of delaying it.

I guess this explains why the game feels short and unfinished, but the sidequests and unlockable systems feel so overdone for the game they're in.

Without knowing what features they asked for I can't decide whether S-E's requests were reasonable, or even necessary, but ouch. I can only imagine what happened there. Did they overestimate their skills or suffer from a lack of people when they got bought by Nepro?

Top Bottom