• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's next for tri-Ace?

Paltheos

Man, that's sad news. :(
But I'll remember the good times. Valkyrie Profile. Valkyrie Profile 2. Resonance of Fate. Even Star Ocean 4.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hopefully next they port Star Ocean 5 to PC.
That should be cheaper than developing a new game and require less staff.

Champion

A mobile company purchased them not too long ago and they havent had a lot of success on consoles lately, so I think we all know where this is headed. Oh well.

I just want Konami to localize Beyond the Labyrinth.

Linkura

They need much bigger budgets than they've been getting lately to make a good game. They obviously don't know how to properly manage a low-budget project. It's pretty much been a self-fulfilling prophecy of doom at this point though. Publishers gave them low budgets for their last few games, they ended up sucking, they sold like shit, and now publishers won't give them anything but struggle budgets. I don't think we'll ever see a classic game like SO2 or VP from them again.

Tohsaka

A mobile company purchased them not too long ago and they havent had a lot of success on consoles lately, so I think we all know where this is headed. Oh well.

I just want Konami to localize Beyond the Labyrinth.

There's a complete fan translation if you don't mind importing a copy of the game and installing CFW on your 3DS.

Ravidrath

Without knowing what features they asked for I can't decide whether S-E's requests were reasonable, or even necessary, but ouch. I can only imagine what happened there. Did they overestimate their skills or suffer from a lack of people when they got bought by Nepro?

Yeah, I dunno.

But honestly I doubt Square asked for something insane. Just like... a good feature set for a new game, that shores up the shortcomings of recent entries?

Regardless, Tri-Ace agreed and didn't follow through after ensuring them they could. So I don't think you can really blame Square Enix here.

Tri-Ace is a Japanese company, and probably thought they could deliver on sheer Working Spirit, despite not having a modern production pipeline and good tools.

I honestly think that I'm of the few people on Earth who actually liked Star Ocean 5.

I mean, it was definitely lacking in a lot of places but the characters weren't as terrible as SO4 and the plot wasn't as ridiculous as SO3.

I wonder if it would have sold better if it wasn't a named entry in the Star Ocean franchise, so that people didn't have big expectations for the game.

okita

Developing SO5 as a cross platform title was a bad call from SE, perhaps it could end up a better game if they focused only on the PS4 version.

Would love some new VP tough, but i don't have my hopes up.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah, I dunno.

But honestly I doubt Square asked for something insane. Just like... a good feature set for a new game, that shores up the shortcomings of recent entries?

Regardless, Tri-Ace agreed and didn't follow through after ensuring them they could. So I don't think you can really blame Square Enix here.

Tri-Ace is a Japanese company, and probably thought they could deliver on sheer Working Spirit, despite not having a modern production pipeline and good tools.

It could have been a much better game if they added at least one more world (with 2-3 more towns) and some more cutscenes to be honest.

I'd also prefer inferior graphics over an overall inferior game. SO5 looked pretty to be honest but I would have preferred they sacrificed the graphics for more content.

It's sad that SO4 is the more superior SO game than this.

Oh well, I guess a Star Ocean reboot should be given to the Studio Istolia (Hideo Baba's team) or something.

Cikay

I hope we will have another game by Takayuki Suguro. His games have the best gameplays of all tri-Ace games.

Lime

Oh well, I guess a Star Ocean reboot should be given to the Studio Istolia (Hideo Baba's team) or something.

It's going to be a new IP and not related to a damaged IP like Star Ocean.

Yamagishi, the previous Enix producer, stopped producing tri-Ace games for Square Enix after SO4 in 2010 for whatever reason. Kobayashi was marketing director for plenty tri-Ace games at Square Enix and moved up as producer supposedly to be able to produce tri-Ace games as nobody else at Square Enix did so after Yamagishi stopped. None of them all are part of tri-Ace, and tri-Ace did work for Sega, Yahoo, Konami, Level 5, Spike Chunsoft and NTT Docomo since 2010.

Thanks, I know all this, it was just my perception that Kobayashi 'moved' to tri-Ace from being a marketing director at SE to producer at tri-Ace, but I see now that it was only a temporary position/job for this specific SO5 project.

Alastor3

Im hoping Baten Kaitos 3, remastered or reboot someday. (I know it's made by monolith soft but still)

oh wait, I forgot about Resonance of Fate, best game i've played these last years, I hope for a sequel someday)

Lime

Yeah, I dunno.

Ravi, you should tell your contact at Square Enix that they should consider putting Valkyrie Profile 1 & 2 on PSN :) It would coincide well with Indivisible coming up next year.

Some Nobody

It could have been a much better game if they added at least one more world (with 2-3 more towns) and some more cutscenes to be honest.

I'd also prefer inferior graphics over an overall inferior game. SO5 looked pretty to be honest but I would have preferred they sacrificed the graphics for more content.

It's sad that SO4 is the more superior SO game than this.

lol, that would make me think we were just getting another Tales game. And that's part of SO's problem lately--no worthwhile identity.

Anyway, this makes it seem like tri-ace lacks both staff and people with proper vision to complete games of a decent quality. Developing good games on low budgets is indeed an art--the folks over at Falcom have it figured out--but come on. This sounds more like you knew you were screwed from the start. :(

Developing SO5 as a cross platform title was a bad call from SE, perhaps it could end up a better game if they focused only on the PS4 version.

Would love some new VP tough, but i don't have my hopes up.
Here's hoping for a new game too (Anatomia doesn't count)

It's a shame that SO5 didn't live up to expectations (from a business perspective and what people say, I haven't played it yet)

Datschge

There's a complete fan translation if you don't mind importing a copy of the game and installing CFW on your 3DS.
Wow, thanks for mentioning this, I wasn't aware.

With this I finally got its staff listing. Looks to be tri-Ace's smallest game staff yet. Should have done more such projects.

Thanks, I know all this, it was just my perception that Kobayashi 'moved' to tri-Ace from being a marketing director at SE to producer at tri-Ace, but I see now that it was only a temporary position/job for this specific SO5 project.
Maybe you are actually thinking of Shingo Mukaitoge? That was a producer of Konami who is now at tri-Ace (produced Exist Archive last, though maybe that game started at Konami and was picked up by Spike Chunsoft?).

Im hoping Baten Kaitos 3, remastered or reboot someday. (I know it's made by monolith soft but still)
That's by Namco, Monolith Soft and tri-Crescendo. tri-Ace had no involvement in that series whatsoever.

Lime

Maybe you are actually thinking of Shingo Mukaitoge? That was a producer of Konami who is now at tri-Ace (produced Exist Archive last, though maybe that game started at Konami and was picked up by Spike Chunsoft?).

Thanks, but no, I just misunderstood the round of interviews Kobayashi was doing with Gamespot, Polygon, and Destructoid where he stated that no one was developing Star Ocean, so he changed position from marketing director at SE to producer at tri-Ace. ->

But I wasn't a producer, I was in marketing and never able to start a project. But because console games were dwindling, I felt that danger in the market, and I went to [Square Enix] and asked to change departments, change teams, and start the project.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-ocean-5s-producer-on-localization-challenges-/1100-6438661/

https://www.polygon.com/2015/6/25/8...ness-5-square-enix-save-ps4-playstation-4-ps3

https://www.destructoid.com/star-ocean-4-was-nearly-the-end-of-the-franchise-294233.phtml

On another note, Star Ocean 5 isn't mentioned at all in the recently released financial report by SE.

Top Bottom