• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the absolute worst game of 2016 you played?

Blindy

Layers of Fear followed closely by Unravel

I just did not get Layers of Fear at all. Game reminded me of Gone Home in that there is probably deeper meaning in the plot but the buildup throughout for it just made the game not fun to play at all. I was looking for a really enjoyable Halloween type of game and this one did nothing for me. Gave up on the game about an hour after.

Unravel has everything I would normally like in a platformer but the lack of any real combat and more notably the fact that I endured a glitch that forced me to restart the entire level ultimately made me drop the game which is a shame. The game was pretty on the outside but it felt lifeless for me on the inside if that makes any sense. Might be a game I try in the future but that glitch really spoiled my time with this game in a bad way.

Originally came out in 2015 but it was localized in 2016, so I'm not sure it counts.

Senran Kagura Estival Versus. I'm not even going to even talk about the gameplay, this is all from just trying to play online.
cGbdXfO.jpg

Superkewl

I have not actually played many games this year it seems, but would have to be a tie between The Division and No Man's Sky. Both huge disappointments in my opinion.

Arozay

The witness. The more environmental puzzles were good, the rest were just tedious. But I've gotta play mighty no.9 next...

Ossom

Helldivers. I was bored in minutes.

Apart from that I am struggling to think of anything bad I played this year.

Iceternal

Probably Watch dogs 2 but it's not a bad game at all. It just doesn't fit my tastes .

It's the only game I don't have any drive to keep playing though.

theBmZ

I didn't play anything this year that I found to be terrible. The game I liked the least was, unfortunately, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst.

tough choice between civ6 and overwatch

overwatch actually does what it tries to do pretty decently. i just think that what it's trying to do is very dull

civ6 is trying to do something interesting, but fails in pretty much every single way imaginable

HotHamBoy

Originally came out in 2015 but it was localized in 2016, so I'm not sure it counts.

Senran Kagura Estival Versus. I'm not even going to even talk about the gameplay, this is all from just trying to play online.

This was on sale a few weeks ago for $25 on PS4. I almost bought it but apparently it wasn't supposed to be on sale because by the end of the next day it was no longer discounted.

So. How is the game? I didn't really like Shinovi Versus because the levels were really uninteresting and the camera was horrible. Is any of that improved? The combos were fun to mash out but I also found it frustrating to lock on to enemies, especially bosses.

tough choice between civ6 and overwatch

overwatch actually does what it tries to do pretty decently. i just think that what it's trying to do is very dull

civ6 is trying to do something interesting, but fails in pretty much every single way imaginable

Man, if those are the worst games you played this year then you had a really nice year.

I'm going to go along your vein of thinking as say Street Fighter V is the second worse game I played this year. The actual gameplay is pretty fun and the online is solid and I think the Season 2 patch improves the game, but man was that game a shitshow all year, especially at launch. I had the pleasure of experiencing that first month.

It continued to disappoint month after month with Capcom's awful management of the game.

After that, I'd say FFXV is the third worst game I played. I actually enjoyed most of my time with the game and I fully expected it to be much worse, but it had a shitload of problems. Awful story, boring characters (outside Ardyn), bland world, frustrating camera, insipid quests design, terrible pacing, disjointed and sloppy... and I'm one of the people who feels like the combat isn't that great, either. Still, I can't say I didn't I didn't have fun for most of it! Kind of a paradox, really. Lovely music, I've got to give it that.

Salty Hippo

Either No Man's Sky or Mighty No. 9. Hard to pick.

While not as bad as those two, Firewatch deserves a dishonorable mention for its shitty manipulative story.

HotHamBoy

Either No Man's Sky or Mighty No. 9. Hard to pick.

While not as bad as those two, Firewatch deserves a dishonorable mention for its shitty manipulative story.

Can you spoiler tag me the details on how its story is manipulative? I haven't played it and I won't based off of what my friend felt about it, but I'm curious all the same.

Spman2099

Man, I am really struggling to come up with one. I am realizing that I have had a pretty smooth run over the last year. I guess I would have to say Arkham VR? I bought it because everyone was raving about it, and I thought it may make for an interesting demo game, but I think it is one of the least enjoyable VR games out there. There just isn't much game to speak of... Still, it isn't a big deal or anything. I certainly didn't hate it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Battle LA

Apparently the only honest awnser here looking at some of the replies here.

BigEmil

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Like that was terrible, boring, not a game just a level editor viewer with voices in the background

zashga

The worst one I played was Bravely Second. It magnified all the original game's flaws (repetitive locations, simplistic layouts, bad writing), and it had a vastly inferior soundtrack to boot. I didn't like the new jobs either, and the weird "choose between these arbitrary two jobs" setup was weird and dumb.

It's still not a bad game per se; I just got bored with it and stopped playing.

EhoaVash

I tend to avoid bad/average games most of the time, this year I did play like 10 minutes of lord of the fallen since was free with ps+ ...framerate in that game was so weird and slow,

anyway 2016 games hm Star fox zero, i wanted to like it so much but fuck the controls were fucking awful.

moomoo14

Star Fox Zero, no contest. Got it used at Gamestop, played through it twice, and found that I wasn't enjoying myself at all despite giving the controls a fair shot; I returned it before the week was over. The level design wasn't particularly interesting, the relative lack of branching paths meant there'd be less incentive for replays, and it didn't really feel ambitious in any way. I went back to 64 on 3DS to make sure it wasn't nostalgia messing with me, and yep, 64 is still great. Zero just didn't do anything for me whatsoever. One of the worst Nintendo-made games I've ever played.

I haven't played many games this year, but I really didn't like the The Division. It just got so repetitive and I was dying to stop playing once my friend and I finished the final main mission.

chadskin

Mafia III, followed by Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Both were thoroughly underwhelming and easily the two most disappointing games I spent time on this year, which is a shame because I greatly enjoyed their respective predecessor.

Rolling Start

Neo Member
Ray Gigant is complete trash. A bad dungeon crawler with bad mechanics and really boring maps mixed with a visual novel where I hate every character. It also happens to have the worst localisation in recent memory short of Asian English releases, which is a pretty big deal for a game that's mostly dialogue. I feel bad for anyone who bought it based on how nice the battle scenes look.

23qwerty

Boy does this thread perfectly illustrate how amazing this year was for games. Half the games posted here are consensus good/great/amazing games.

Trials of the Blood Dragon

It had so much potential, and then wasted it all on garbage platforming and shoot mechanics. I finished it, but I'm still not sure why. It was terrible.

cakely

I knew there'd be votes for No Man's Sky in here, it was expected.

But I'm honestly surprised at the number of edgelords voting for Uncharted 4. That was ... the worst game you played in 2016? Really?

Me, I ended up playing quite a few games I liked this year. The worst game I played that was released in 2016 was Pokemon GO. It really ended up not being much of a game at all, but I guess that I should have expected that, I played Ingress for a long while.

Salty Hippo

Can you spoiler tag me the details on how its story is manipulative? I haven't played it and I won't based off of what my friend felt about it, but I'm curious all the same.

Basically they throw a bunch of intriguing bullshit your way to keep you curious and invested in the narrative and in the end when the central mystery is resolved nothing makes any sense. There's no logical or reasonable explanation for the things that keep happening to you and around you during the entire game.

Edit: Specifics - Firewatch spoilers

During the game, the following happens:

Your room is invaded and trashed.

Crimes against teenagers are pinned on you.

Wires are cut off to block your progression.

An INSANE study on you and Delilah is made, you find notes with all sorts of details about you, your personality and what both of you talk to each other.

The antagonist sets his own cabins on fire, which have years of his own research material. Just to piss you off.

The reason for all of this? He saw you ONCE near a cave that has a gate locked off that leads to a place where he keeps his dead son. No really, that's it. He believes that you trespassed the gate and saw his son, even though that gate is impenetrable without the key that only the antagonist owns, and is afraid you might tell anyone about it.

In the end, the antagonist gives you the key anyway, for no explicit reason (game's gotta have an ending amirite) just so you can go in there and find out about the dead son, which he spent the whole fucking game trying to punish you for.

It's just a massive load of lazy horseshit.

Seems like every game I played this year was decent at worst so this was harder than I thought. So hard that I'm gonna cheat and have two answers.

If versions matter, it's Forza Horizon 3 on PC. It is a damn shame that a game that good ended up like it did on PC, especially compared to Gears 4 which is one of the smoothest PC games I've ever played. All FH3 needed was no input delay at 30fps...

If versions don't matter, it's Street Fighter V. That launch was ROUGH.

LordKasual

Banned
Boy does this thread perfectly illustrate how amazing this year was for games. Half the games posted here are consensus good/great/amazing games.

yeah lol.

i'd say about 90% of these are just people with strong opposite opinions. The only objectively bad game i've seen thus far was Mighty No. 9.

I knew there'd be votes for No Man's Sky in here, it was expected.

But I'm honestly surprised at the number of edgelords voting for Uncharted 4. That was ... the worst game you played in 2016? Really?

Me, I ended up playing quite a few games I liked this year. The worst game I played that was released in 2016 was Pokemon GO. It really ended up not being much of a game at all, but I guess that I should have expected that, I played Ingress for a long while.

This_is_Neogaf.gif

Wil348

No Man's Sky and The Division. Both were pretty dull and boring but NMS was extremely shallow and just felt like a mess.

The story is not manipulative nor shitty. It's the kind of story that is common in literature and sometimes film, but that you rarely see in games. People claim it doesn't have a satisfying conclusion, but that's kind of the point, and it does tie up all its loose ends. If someone finds Firewatch 'manipulative and shitty' than they simply did not understand it. I can get why people might not like it, and the gameplay doesn't really add anything to the game aside from immersion, but the story and dialogue are quite good overall, the dialogue in particular.

No Man's Sky. It's been quite a while since I've been burned by a game like that. Two Worlds is probably the last game I played that was in the same league of bad.

I'm not changing my vote or anything (I think I voted PokeGo? Can't remember), but The Last Guardian's craptastic framerate, controls, and camera are really testing my patience. Consider it my "honorable mention."

So disappoint.

I'd go with Rachet and Clank.

Some games I've played this year that released this year include: dark souls 3, Battlefield 1, Overwatch, Recore, Gears 4. And I've also played FFX:R, Witcher 2, Uncharted Collection and some other games that didn't release this year.

It's not that R&C is a bad game, but if I had time to play video games, it's the last one I consider cause I just don't feel it's fun enough to continue. The graphics are mind blowing on my pro but the the game itself is nothing special.

zeemumu

Worst? Dead by Daylight, probably. And that's not even a bad game so it's been a good year for gaming overall. Not so much a "worst list" as it is a "least best" list.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Like that was terrible, boring, not a game just a level editor viewer with voices in the background

Yeah same. This was probably the game I liked the least as well. Beautiful soundtrack and some nice views but other than that everything about the game is horribly dull imo

Pokemon GO? It's just never really captured me. I'd have to drive a good ways to hit any Pokestops, so, uh, there you go.

For console games.....ugh, I guess No Man's Sky? I mean, I hate to dog on that game, since it's been bashed enough in the months since release. It's not a horrible game, it's just boring. (That said, the linguistic stuff was super interesting, and I spent way more time trying to learn more alien words than I did hunting down alien species)

True Fire

Not a very original opinion, but No Man's Sky was pretty horrible. A lot of games posted here were just mediocre, but NMS was straight up unenjoyable.

Top Bottom