• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's the absolute worst game of 2016 you played?

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure there is was but going by games I have played it has be to COD:IW.

I really wanted to support CD and the Tomb Raider franchise, despite my mixed feelings toward TR2013, so I actually purchased Steam's 'Digital Deluxe' version of ROTTR on Day 1, back in January.

But like others in this thread, I really found some of the characterization in ROTTR to be downright unbearable.

Some related posts, in other threads: one / two / three / four

Wait, the sequel is actually worse than the reboot? I absolutely hated that game and was hoping the series would at least start seeing an upswing in the traversal and platforming aspects seeing how that is what the series was about initially.

Type40

Alot of salt for No Man's Sky in this thread, It would have been my game of the year, If FF15 didn't come out...

As for a terrible game, that would be FURI, It is everything wrong with final boss fights in games(I'm looking at you Heavenly Sword and Snake Eater). It doesn't explain mechanics well, then throws you into a super brutal boss rush. Which would be fine, if the boss characters weren't so obtuse in giving tells on what their weaknesses are. Once you figure out the pattern or the tell for a boss, it becomes a war of attrition to do more damage before it kills you, there are times if you don't knock out of of its heath bars fast enough, the health bar recharges.

I get that it's supposed to be hard... but theres a point where it becomes unfair.

As for a terrible game, that would be FURI, It is everything wrong with final boss fights in games(I'm looking at you Heavenly Sword and Snake Eater). It doesn't explain mechanics well, then throws you into a super brutal boss rush. Which would be fine, if the boss characters weren't so obtuse in giving tells on what their weaknesses are. Once you figure out the pattern or the tell for a boss, it becomes a war of attrition to do more damage before it kills you, there are times if you don't knock out of of its heath bars fast enough, the health bar recharges.

Wanted to check this game out eventually but that sounds incredibly obnoxious...

Can't say I've actually played any bad games this year, so worst game would probably Telltale Batman, jsut for the atrocious performance issues. I really enjoyed the game but I can't overlook that.

PlayerOne

Banned
Just FYI, responses like this will make it difficult for people to take you seriously. A shitpost followed by a 'well that's my opinion' post is usually the sign of a troll or fanboy.

Excuse me? OP clearly asked the worst game we played this year. We said it's UC4 (a lot of people did) and somehow we are being edgy or shitposters or trolls or fanboys. It isn't any more of a "well it's my opinion" post than any other post in here. How is it that someone who says Tomb Raider is the worst game they played be any more valid than "UC4 is the worst we played"? How is that trollish, or fanboyish? How can their be taken more seriously than ours? because you're invested in UC4? I mean, I am tired of people in this thread bitching about how UC4 *can't be the worst game we've played all year*. Apparently it just can't be the case, for some apparent reason a lot of us who named it as such can't realise.

LAM09

I haven't played many games this year, but the one that let me down the most was Uncharted 4. The fact that the best set piece was shown a year prior to release just made it worse.

Nose Master

Mighty no. 9, but I'm a bit weighted salt wise because I kickstarted $120.

There was a really bad iwbtg clone on steam I bought that's worse, tho. Green haired anime girl, shit music and controls. Enri's Tale or some such.

CDV13

I get that it's supposed to be hard... but theres a point where it becomes unfair.

I'm sorry, I don't care if you don't like the game, but some of this is just wrong. It explains the game in the first fight. The game may not say it on screen with words, but all the parts of the game are there. The game adds nothing more after that fight, just expands on those mechanics. It is not unfair at all if you have played any bullet hell type game it is actually much easier than that (not saying you are bad at them, just that it is par for the course in that regard). I can't think of which boss recovers health either...

Shifty

I didn't play anything awful, but I think FFXV disappointed me the most.

That moment when you're done with sidequesting, hit the part where it gets linear ready for some proper focused story... and spend half an hour wandering around trying to find out how to get to a fucking bar.

valkyre

Uncharted 4.

Am I doing it right hipster-GAF? Am I special enough now?

Or maybe it is Mirrors Edge Catalyst... a legitimately poor game... who knows... opinions and all...

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Atom Grrl. Some crappy kinetic novel on Steam. (It's not a visual novel - those actually have choices that alter the course of gameplay. This you just read........)

AdanVC

Pokemon Go. It's only months after I stopped playing the game that I realized how poorly designed the game was. I only played the game because of the Pokemon skin and because everyone else was playing it.

Everything about it was tedious and annoyingly made. Gym battles were garbage that lagged and constantly glitched. The candy system was obnoxious. The constant bugs to throw vs. capture rates. Messing with Pokevision and the three-step glitch. The game constantly killed my battery.

I'm sure a lot of the above problems have been fixed, but they lost me after they got rid of Pokevision. I bought a new phone and was about to re-install Go but then decided against it. Haven't looked back since.

Granted, there are probably much more worse games in 2016. But this one was so frustratingly obnoxious, I just can't help but have bad feelings towards Niantic.

Been playing since day one up to this day and... Nope, they still haven't fixed any of that. Nada. They just keep adding more features instead of fixing the current issues first. It's a reaaaaaal mess. And to make it worse, Niantic keep killing third party scanners similar to Pokevision and their current in-game nearby method is still not effective. More useful than before but you still have to triangulate and it's not enjoyable. I still keep playing because I'm getting close to complete the pokédex and because it's nice to just walk and have pokémon eggs hatching on the background. But yeah the software as a whole simply sucks but I'm grateful for all the people I've met and the places I've been thanks to this game. Those were memorable moments at least :)

jennetics

Been playing since day one up to this day and... Nope, they still haven't fixed any of that. Nada. They just keep adding more features instead of fixing the current issues first. It's a reaaaaaal mess. And to make it worse, Niantic keep killing third party scanners similar to Pokevision and their current in-game nearby method is still not effective. More useful than before but you still have to triangulate and it's not enjoyable. I still keep playing because I'm getting close to complete the pokédex and because it's nice to just walk and have pokémon eggs hatching on the background. But yeah the software as a whole simply sucks but I'm grateful for all the people I've met and the places I've been thanks to this game. Those were memorable moments at least :)

That's a shame, really. I may have kept playing but it looks like Niantic is dead set against players using anything to "beat" the system. I spent a lot of time playing with old friends as well so, you're right, at least there were some memorable moments!

phant0m

What was the issue with GE2 out of interest? And did you expect to like it? I really really enjoyed Freedom Wars on vita and was considering trying god eater at some point. There's some staff overlap and obviously gameplay overlap right?

The game itself was fine, I was just highly annoyed that it was pretty much a $60 copy paste of Resurrection.

Zesh

Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness is so awful that I actually found it amusing. It feels like such a low budget and outdated title; it's basically like a cheap, outdated PS2 game.

I went in with low expectations, and was still amazed by how bad it was. Even the combat, which I thought would be decent, had some baffling design decisions that made it quite poor. The game was actually worse than Star Ocean 4, too.

I'm just glad I waited a while after release to get it; I would've been very upset if I had bought this game at full price.

I don't know that I actually played any bad games this year. Probably Furi or Final Fantasy XV, but even those have plenty to like.

Mupod

guess I have to change my answer to Let it Die, since its broken game design wasted hours of my time. It should not be possible for player NPCs 50+ levels above you to invade your world. In a Souls game when you get invaded, who cares you just run back and grab your souls. But Let it Die is extremely grindy and if you die or disconnect you lose everything you're carrying. With the exception of your weapon skills and blueprints you can actually be set completely back to 0, losing hours of progress. Later on you might be able to recover from this just fine, but I didn't even have a real foothold and couldn't afford to even revive any characters. Something went wrong in my game where every time I zoned into any floor I'd immediately have a level 50 player NPC after me. Nothing I could do could kill them and they were inescapable - there was no way to farm mushrooms or anything because they'd be on me instantly. I lost everything I had, to the point where if I'd just deleted the game and restarted from scratch I'd probably be better off. I simply don't have time to waste on a game that can put itself into a state where it's unplayable for an entire day or however long that invasion would last.

I tend to avoid bad games, but I bought DA: Inquisition when it was dirt cheap so that would have to be the worst game I've played this year.

Ryuuga

Banned
I simply don't have time to waste on a game that can put itself into a state where it's unplayable for an entire day or however long that invasion would last.

Unplayable my ass. I literally have not been able to play it for about 7 days now due to an error the devs don't even want to acknowledge.

Riposte

I'm having a hard time remembering games that didn't click with me this year. I played slightly fewer games this year, so I was a little selective, and some of the games I thought would disappointment ended up surprising me.

For sure, the answer for the very worse is Pokemon Go. It has no interesting merits besides its own popularity - it's basically a reality TV show in videogame form. On top of this, it's poorly executed. By any of the standards we normally have for videogames, with a bit of clarity, it's clearly a bottom of the barrel experience.

There are games I didn't put a lot of time into because I got turned off for one reason or another. This happened to be the case with both of Platinum's titles this year: Star Fox Zero (too lazy to learn the controls after struggling a bit, not my favorite series/genre to begin with) and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan (had a few interesting ideas like MMO raid-style bosses, but it was clearly the cheapest feeling game and they make some cheap games these days). I don't want to call these flat out bad, because I can't really evaluate them.

EDIT: Oh, Final Fantasy Explorers. I quit that game after 30 minutes. For reason I got the impression that it was Final Fantasy+Monster Hunter. Combat seemed utterly simplistic. Huge letdown.

EDIT: Hyper Light Drifter. This one I quit after an hour or two. Not only was it boring me, I found it literally painful to look at. There's been many examples of bad retrospective sprite-based art styles, but this is the first one I found offensive. I wonder if the 60 FPS patch helps with that.

Zero Time Dilemma was my biggest disappointment. It has its moments (namely Carlos's wild ride and bits of Team D) and manages to be about average in the overall quality of puzzles, but it's such a let down in both its place in the series and with its adaptation of Telltale's ugly style that obviously strained them in what they could show. Please end this Telltale meme before it infects any other decent series. The new Ace Attorney game embarrasses it by remaining true to its roots (and being a return to form from AA 4/5).

The worst game that I liked anyway had to be Umbrella Corps. The game was utterly panned, but under the right circumstances, its unique (and weird) mechanics shine through and the classic RE maps work surprisingly well. I only wish it had higher health values, so you could break their jammer and have the zombies target them more often. The rapid-fire objective mode with infinite spawns is complete garbage, but the 1-life elimination mode works to the game's strengths by giving it a semblance of order and tension and the 4 Survivors mode ups that tension further by incorporating "ink ribbons" to store your points or have it stolen - it felt so right on RE1 mansion map. Could be incredibly hard to get a game so I didn't end up buying, even after binging on it during a free weekend.

I'm seeing a lot of people who clearly haven't played, let alone finished, Metroid Prime: Federation Force.

I envy you.

I played it and found it satisfactory at worst. I wouldn't up it on my list of top 10 games of the year, but it has a lot going for it (it's probably better than all the other games I just listed, with a possible exception to ZTD, and UC on a good day). Neat co-op game with a ton of variety in its stages and creative loot/gear mechanics without power creep. If it was missing one of these, I would be a little less interested, but it was really the sum of its parts. It's too bad it will be difficult for people to get the full co-op experience in the future, but that's why I made sure to jump in immediately (admittedly, a risky choice at the time I didn't think would pay off).

My most hated game would have to be The Witness. I'm normally big on puzzle games and walking simulators, but this one left me enraged. It all seemed so... sterile. And I despised how it only rewarded one very specific way of thinking.

That said, if we're talking objectively worst, for me it's probably a two-way tie between Skylight Freerange 2: Gachduine and Energy Hook. Skylight Freerange 2 was some weird Vita game that was hideously ugly and played like garbage, while Energy Hook was a broken mess. In fact, Energy Hook was so bad, if more people had played it, it'd be mentioned alongside Superman 64 in the conversation for worst games of all time. Just buggy beyond all belief, with PS1 level graphics and the most boring gameplay imaginable.

The Park - not only the worst of 2016, but one of the worst games ever

Almost forgot about The Park, but it was pretty terrible.

888eddyx

I hate to admit it, but it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan. I say I hate to admit it, because I was really looking forward to it. Platinum AND TMNT?! Two of my favorite things, unfortunately, it didn't hold a candle to Transformers Devastation. I didn't despise it or anything, it just didn't keep my interest. From now on, I'm gonna wait until reviews come out for any future Platinum licensed games. Thank god NieR looks great though.

Cod IW but that was only the beta

In terms of full game releases Far Cry Primal was abysmal, No Man's Sky managed to be more enjoyable for me.

header.jpg

Haven't played something this pretentious since Entwined. Gave up on the sniper boss, because one-shots are cool.
How the fuck is Furi pretentious? It's a gameplay focused game?

No Man's Sky.
I honestly think I would have enjoyed the game that was advertised. Too bad that game doesn't actually exist, it was all a lie.

Didn't even get a refund even though the game stoped working for me. I complained about how it kept freezing on the startup screen and that the game itself wasn't what was being advertised and I ended up getting a bullshit reply two weeks later saying I wasn't eligible for a refund just because the game 'evolved' beyond its original concept.

Oh my God, all these edgy people saying Uncharted 4.

Jesus. I mean, maybe its not your thing and you can definitely not like it. Opinions and all!

But "absolute worst game of the year"? Literally the best rated original game of this generation and the one that is being GOTY contender on every single outled out there is your worst game of the year? REALLY?

There wasnt a single worse game in the entire year?

The hyperbole is real, damn.

ow my gawd all these opinions

Jesus. I mean, maybe its not your thing and you can definitely not like it. Opinions and all!

But "absolute worst game of the year"? Literally the best rated original game of this generation and the one that is being GOTY contender on every single outled out there is your worst game of the year? REALLY?

I don't agree but differing opinions don't have to be edgy. Additionally not everyone plays a ton of new games. Stop being defensive that people don't like something you like.

kunonabi

Dont think I've played anything aggressively awful. Twilight Princess hd and mario sonic rio 2016 wii u were probably the biggest disappointments for how lazy they were.

Wait, I just remembered final Fantasy explorers. That's my pick.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Not sure. Probably something I got from PS Plus at some point that I forgot about. But the worst game I paid full price for this year was probably Watch Dogs 2. Such a disappointment coming off Watch Dogs 1.

christ man, just because critics like it doesn't mean everyone likes it - getting a 93 on metacritic doesn't absolve it of criticism, and you know - video games are subjective.

people really need to chill accusing people of hyperbole - uncharted 4 was the "worst" game i played this year because i didn't enjoy it compared to the other games i played.

Not sure I played an awful game this year but I fell off most of them. None were bad just none grabbed me by the unmentionables. Here is hoping Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata grab them nice and tight.

Fury451

Banned
Mirrors Edge Catalyst is a good answer. It's not even a bad game really, just underwhelming and repetitive for me.

It's been a good year if that's the worst I played.

HotHamBoy

I mean, I play a lot of mobile games and for every great one there's like 5 or 10 stinkers.

Console-wise I'm pretty descerning in my tastes and pretty objective, too. I may not like a game but I can't call it "worst" if it's just not for me.

So, all things considered, I give that award to No Man's Sky. It had a great opening two hours and then went to shit really fast.

It's not because of hype or expectation, even if that played a factor in my disappointment. It's because the game design itself, what's actually there, is terrible. The basic gameplay loop is what I would expect from a F2P mobile game but minus the premium currency. It's basically a glorified clicker game with the ability to fly around.

Rellik

Uncharted 4.

Am I doing it right hipster-GAF? Am I special enough now?

Or maybe it is Mirrors Edge Catalyst... a legitimately poor game... who knows... opinions and all...

I would actually include Mirrors Edge because I can't play it for more than 20 minutes without feeling sick. That makes it unplayable to me.

What was wrong with this? I've been thinking of picking it up..

Nothing. It's amazing and a game I've enjoyed more than any 2016 release.

Top Bottom